Take advantage of Windows Summit 2010 to learn about IE9

The Windows Summit is a website designed for people who want to build solutions with Internet Explorer 9 or who engineer and test Windows 7 PCs, devices, and software. We just posted new IE9 sessions that highlight the latest web platform capabilities in IE9. The eight presentations cover many aspects of building solutions in HTML5 using same markup and the rich features in IE9 to bring sites into Windows. In addition to the video recording, each session includes a PowerPoint deck and code samples in the Resources section. Here’s the list of all IE9 sessions:

• Overview of IE9 (two sessions)
  • Easier Web development using IE9 developer tools
  • Desktop integration using pinning
  • Touch investments in IE9
  • Getting Started with SVG
  • Getting Started with Canvas
  • Best Practices for Creating Advanced Graphics in IE9

We hope you enjoy the sessions. We want your feedback so we can continue to refine our content offerings and help you create fantastic web sites that work great on Windows. So please fill out the evaluation form after you watch each session.

Thanks!
Leon Braginski
Program Manager
Internet Explorer

1. Daniel Earwicker says:

The onchanged event for checkbox behaves differently in IE9, even when my document is in IE8 standards mode (and otherwise).

Simply paste this into notepad and save it as an .htm file:

<input type="checkbox" id="test">

<script>

document.getElementById('test').onchange = function() { alert('changed'); };

</script>

In all other browsers, including IE8 and earlier, the alert will appear as soon as the checkbox is toggled with a mouse click.

In the IE9 beta, the alert does not appear until the checkbox loses focus. So click somewhere else on the page and it will appear.

Needless to say, this must break quite a few apps?

2. Daniel Earwicker says:

PS otherwise it looks great!

3. Spindel says:

"Touch investments in IE9"

Sounds great and I hope it means you have made the adressbar bigger, redesigned the "Internet options" box and tabs on top.

4. GT says:

Touch investments in IE9? Are there touch events in IE9/Html5?

5. hdmi says:

Anybody else notice had bloody fast the Firefox 4 beta is?  Wow.

6. Boshispirit says:

HELP! I downloaded IE 9 Beta b6y mistake! Thought I was clicking on something else. I don't have the time to watch tutorials to learn the program./

HOW DO I UNINSTAL IE 9?

7. pezzonovante says:

Anybody noticed how pathetic Firefox's latest beta is compared to IE9? IE9 is the greatest browser in the world in terms of speed and security and UI.

8. steppres says:

It's strange to see IE leapfrogging Firefox in terms of features and innovation. The Firefox 4 beta is just woeful, it seems Mozilla has really lost focus on what it's users want and need when it comes to browsing the web. There is so much clutter and useless crud (Panorama anyone?) that they keep adding.

9. Rob says:

The first rule of web development is you never, ever use IE for your initial tests. Always, always use a modern browser….anything but IE. The multitude of missing features, hacks and bugs in IE are well known, as are the hacks to fix it. The same will be true for IE9 noting all the missing implementations already known and the bugs so far discovered.

10. Rob says:

@steppres – Apparently you only read the Microsoft press releases and not the technical data. IE9 is at least 3 years behind Firefox4 in almost all areas and will continue Microsoft's legacy of producing the worst browser on the planet.

11. Oz says:

Microsoft have to work hard on IE9

Hardware acceleration is great but what about the software coding?

ex. Opera browser have the best smooth scrolling and is the fastest browser, all that made by software coding only, what will happen when they enable hardware accelereation? (don't tell me about broken web pages, that si the problem of incompetent programers because they don't use web standards coding.)

on demonoid I made a fixed width using admuncher (Add CSS to all pages: #fslispc3 {width:1050px;margin:3px auto;})

tested on browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Opera, the website is centered with the fixed width that I made, on IE it's on the left side, that is showing how por is the IE support for web programming.

right-click on a link "copy shortcut" wth, change it with "copy link address", also "cut" "copy" "paste" why they are there?, "open" why is there? if I want to open the link I click directly on the link.

12. FremyCompany says:

Will definitively watch the "Touch improvements in IE9" video (windowssummit.tri-digital.com/…/sow-t222.aspx). As user of a touch-laptop, I'm not particulary impressed by the improvements I've seen as of now, but maybe I missed something…

13. DavidPaulo says:

@Rob  "IE9 is at least 3 years behind Firefox4 in almost all areas"        are you trolling?  if ie9 is behind firefox  "in almost all areas", say me only twenty areas specifically where IE9 is surpassed.

14. ronald says:

@Daniel Earwicker – nice bug find. this looks like the bug with IE radio buttons has now extended to checkboxes as well :-(

Radio button bug:

webbugtrack.blogspot.com/…/bug-193-onchange-does-not-fire-properly.html

Hopefully MSFT will fix the checkboxes and the long standing radio button bug at the same time!

15. Rob says:

@DavidPaulo – Been a while since I checked my list but let's start: 1) SVG filters 2) How's that DOM support coming along? 3) WebGL 4) CSS3 transitions 5) SMIL 6) CSS3 border images 7) CSS3 multicolumn 8) HTML5 forms 9) Web Sockets 10) blah blah blah don't waste my time. Firefox supported all those long ago and IE9 won't be out for six more months. And where will FF4 be then? How much further ahead?

16. Jace says:

@Rob

How many of the items you mentioned are at or beyond recommended status in the standardization process? 😉

17. FremyCompany says:

@Rob : Agree with @Jace, here. Nearly every feature you mention is out of the scope of standardisation acomplishments and don't always work the same way in different browsers. The IE team has decided not to make the same mistake as they did for IE5 and 6 : they will not implement badly a feature and then have problems to make it standards compilant whithout breaking sites compatibility relying on bugs. I much prefer it that way : three nicely implemented features are better than 5 poorly implemented ones. (I don't say the features are badly implemented in FireFox, I just say their implementation was not discussed deeply enough in CSS WG Telcon and there's no test case avaialable to make sure the feature is reliable accross multiple scenarios).

The only thing I find really disapointing is the lack of the HTML5 forms improvements, because they're really needed at this time to avoid "user-made" controls to simulate them. Even Silverlight as a Calendar object.

And, just as a reminder, the first version of FireFox that supported WebGL right for the web is the FireFox 4 beta 7, which is out *three days* ago. Previous versions of FireFox 4 needed a tweak in the about:config page to work, which mean it was not usable on the web. Same for CSS 3 Transitions, for multicolumns and many other, you won't see them in FF3. And FF4 is still in beta. So I don't think you can say IE9 is "far behind" FireFox at this time.

18. Higgleberry says:

I couldn't care less about WebGL and 3D-CSS, but Multi-columns, support for arbitrary OpenType features (like Fx 4 will with "-moz-font-feature-settings"), and MathML could make HTML make the new sort-of TeX alternative.

Making the web of the future less JS-dependent using specializations like SMIL and HTML5 forms would be nice too, one can dream, right?

19. FremyCompany says:

@Higgleberry Couldn't agree with you more than I do :-)

I don't like SMIL, though. Much prefer CSS3 Transitions.

20. Rob says:

@Jace @FremyCompany – Standards are based on implementation, not invention. Standards bodies rarely invent anything. If Microsoft is going to wait on the standard to be finalized, IE would never have supported CSS2.1 till just last year and it won't support HTML5 till 2020 or so.

To the others, whether you care about certain features or not is irrelevent. The point is, you can use them in modern browsers but you won't be able to in IE9.

21. hasretgulu says:

on demonoid.com I made a fixed width using admuncher (Add CSS to all pages: #fslispc3 {width:1050px;margin:3px auto;})

tested on browsers: Chrome, Firefox, Opera, the website is centered with the fixed width that I made, http://www.suskunsair.net ..on IE it's on the left side, that is showing how por is the IE support for web programming.

also the right-click menus are horrible and useless bloated in IE (look at chrome to see a good right-click menus) http://www.hasretgulu.com

right-click on a link "copy shortcut" wth, change it with "copy link address", also "cut" "copy" "paste" why they are there? stupid, "open" why is there? if I want to open the link I click directly on the link.

22. Cliff Wells says:

I just tried IE 9 in a vain attempt to debug some javascript code that works on every other browser (tested in Chromium, Firefox, Safari).   IE continues to provide almost no useful information (simply fails to execute, then points you to the wrong file without any context).

I have to wonder why Microsoft doesn't simply give up on making browsers.   It would be a huge favor to the web.   There's a ton of free, functional browsers in existence for every platform, so I don't see why MS needs to keep foisting this junk on the world.

23. Klimax says:

Cliff,fortunately MS disagree with people like you. (And for that matter did you file ticket or were you lazy)

24. Victor says:

Just remembering you to implement text-shadow before final release. Concerning missing properties in IE9 betas and Platform Previews, this is by far the most used CSS3 property in today websites. Also, properties like gradients and multiple columns can be reasonably achieved through alternative techniques, while text-shadow is really painful to implement decently without browser support. Hope you're really hearing from us developers. Keep going and congrats for the huge improvement over IE8!

25. Ali says:

HTML5 Forms Validation in Firefox 4:

blog.oldworld.fr/index.php

26. hAl says:

FF 4 beta is still lagging in CSS 2.1 support on IE9 beta

27. Very angry says:

Please allow spoon.net to restore ie6, ie7 and ie8 images. It is vital to my workflow for developing for old ie browsers. It does Microsoft no harm.

28. Anonymous says:

@Very Angry

I originally suspected this was part of Microsoft's war on IE6. However, it looks like they have updated their VPC images at about the same time.

At the same time, I don't think the IE team itself performed the take down, they've allowed companies like AOL to redistribute IE before, in principle spoon.net would be no different. I think the request came from either the Windows team or from whoever packaged the VPC images.

29. Contact info? says:

Where can I leave feedback?

ie.microsoft.com/…/Default.html has a factual error. Opera never used or supported the -o-border-radius property. It always supported the standard version without the vendor prefix.