Internet Explorer 8 is now available in 18 additional languages

We are pleased to announce the availability of Internet Explorer 8 in 18 additional languages. Internet Explorer 8 is now available in a total of 43 languages.

List of NEW Internet Explorer 8 Languages:

Thai

THA

Ukrainian

UKR

Vietnamese

VIT

We have also made available Windows Vista/ Windows Server 2008 Language Packs for these languages and can be downloaded from here.

Who can install and benefit from Internet Explorer Language packs:

If you had already installed Internet Explorer 8 in English and you had an underlying Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008 operating system in any of the above languages, you can experience localized Internet Explorer 8 by installing the Internet Explorer 8 Language pack that matches your operating system language(s). Users who have more than one Language pack installed on their machine could benefit from installing Language packs as well.

Internet Explorer 8 MUI packs for Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 is an upcoming release planned for a mid-May 2009. Internet Explorer 8 MUI for Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 will ship in two MUI packs.

• Internet Explorer 8 MUI pack applicable to Windows XP x86 and Windows Server 2003 x86 for the following languages –
    • Arabic, Chinese (Traditional), Chinese (Hong Kong), Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hebrew, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Portugal), Portuguese (Brazil), Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Turkish, Bulgarian, Croatian, Estonian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Romanian, Slovenian, Slovakian, Thai
  • Internet Explorer 8 MUI pack applicable to Windows Server 2003 x64 and Windows XP x64 PRO for the following languages –
    • Chinese (Traditional), Chinese (Simplified, German, French, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Portuguese (Brazil)

Note: If you have Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 and OS MUI pack installed, we recommend you install the English version of Internet Explorer 8 and then install the Internet Explorer 8 MUI pack for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 (matching your Operating system and architecture).

Furthermore, Internet Explorer 8 will be made available shortly in an additional 20 languages. Please stay tuned.

List of upcoming localized Internet Explorer 8 languages:

• Albanian
  • Assamese
  • Basque
  • Bengali (Bangladesh)
  • Bengali (India)
  • Gujarati
  • Indonesian
  • Kannada
  • Kazakh
  • Konkani
  • Kyrgyz
  • Malay (Brunei Darussalam)
  • Malay (Malaysia)
  • Malayalam
  • Marathi
  • Oriya
  • Punjabi
  • Tamil
  • Telugu
  • Uzbek (Latin)

Thanks,
Vishwac Sena Kannan
International Program Manager | Internet Explorer

Update 4/27/09: Correction, MUI packs for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 will ship in two MUI packs.

1. sushovande says:

Good to see Bengali (India) finally getting some of the attention it deserves.

2. harold says:

That has got to be the un-sexiest table I’ve ever seen! very HTML 2.0!

3. WR says:

I think it’s about time you increased the font size on this blog above 10px!

4. Jagannath says:

I hope Telugu(India) would be available by the  time we have Windows 7 RC released to public.

5. rsola says:

Many thanks for this information!

I think there is a typo in the following paragraph: "Windows Server 2008" should read "Windows Server 2003".

"Internet Explorer 8 MUI packs for Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 is an upcoming release planned for a mid-May 2009. Internet Explorer 8 MUI for Windows XP, Windows Server 2008 will ship in two MUI packs."

6. I think it’s time Microsoft start recognizing some popular African languages like Swahili, Igbo, Afrikaans, Hausa and Yoruba, among others.

To move IE8 forward, Africa should not be neglected in the language pack.

7. Thug Shwe says:

a bit catching up front runner Firefox on that, but yet far behind in others

8. Mehrdad says:

Bengali is on that list but not Persian??? Seriously.

I have always been firmly fond of MS products and policies, but now I’ve come to a stage of maturity where I can’t take it when ‘other people’ decide in what language the product ‘I’ use is available.

Plus the fact that I don’t want to be tagged as a pirate any more. |:

Linux and open source software, here I come.

9. Hmm, can someone explain to me why some languages don’t seem to be available to the 64-bit versions? Surely there are not many different strings between 32- and 64-bit Internet Explorer?

10. peSHIr says:

That’s Klingon to all you non tlhIngan Hol speakers. }};-)

Google has been available in Klingon (http://www.google.com/intl/xx-klingon/) for years now! Come on…

11. naHQun says:

I agree with peSHIr. Where’s tlhIngan Hol? Macs recognize Klingon as a language, Firefox recognizes Klingon as a language, and Google reconizes Klingon as a language. (Any more?)

What is Microsoft’s problem with Klingon?

OpenOffice.org even requested a Klingon translation.

I am sure that the members of the Klingon Language Institute (http://www.kli.org) would be more than capable of such a project.

12. Im wai8ting for the release of portuguese version.

13. angela_aberdeen says:

Great improvement! However, I hope IE will incorporate more languages in the near future.

14. Ted says:

Merhdad: Your complaint might land a little less flat on another forum.

Readers of the IEBlog know that IE is localized into languages depending on the size of the market.  As Iran is the primary locale where Persian is used, and Microsoft and other companies are legally prohibited from exporting technology to Iran (http://www.state.gov/s/ct/c14151.htm) Persian-language software does not represent a viable market for Microsoft and most other companies.

15. Fleet Command says:

This extent of language support sounds strange to me. Why would a business product like Internet Explorer should have language packs for markets in which consumers are the majority and business users are the minority? Don’t tell me that a Consumers Edition of Internet Explorer 8 is coming! I won’t believe this! (Although, perhaps I’ll be happy?)

By the way… What is the difference between x64 MUI pack and x32 MUI pack? Is there even a difference? Besides, who uses x32 OS these days anyway? And, how comes that Windows Server 2008 and Windows Vista have different IE MUI packs, while they are so similar that are serviced with the same service pack?

16. minhhai says:

Sorry for commenting in wrong place. When I "Save As…" a webpage I can’t switch to other tabs before saving is complete. It’s definitively contrary to what you’ve said before (kinda each tab is a separate process). Hope this problem will be addressed soon. Thanks.

17. Dan says:

minhhai, it’s in a different process, but a modal dialog (like the File > Save) is modal to all tabs.

18. Ian Boyd says:

The chart uses "Yes" and hyphen.

Does the hyphen mean that, when writing the blog post, you don’t know if that language is supported?

19. Fleet Command says:

@Ian Boyd: Judging by what I have seen from Microsoft, they never say "No" to anyone. So, hyphen doesn’t mean "No" but I believe it would not be unfair to say it is a synonym.

20. Olivier says:

"Internet Explorer 8 MUI packs for Windows XP, Windows Server 2003 is an upcoming release planned for a mid-May 2009" : too late for me, I’ve just left my company, so I don’t need the MUI pack anymore :)

@Fleet Command : Many users and companies still sticks only to 32bits OS.

The hyphen means more "not yet" than "no".

But, as you said, I also don’t understand why they need a language pack by Windows version… why there isn’t a global language pack which would cover every version of every Windows ?

21. Kazzman says:

I`ve just installed a sp2 for office 2007 and smthg strange happened with slice future.

Check http://www.thevista.ru for subscribing for

http://www.thevista.ru/#news webslice  , open slice as usual for preview in slice window and try to navigate any link on the slice. Now navigation happens just in slice window, not in IE tab as it was before.

Any comments?

22. Fleet Command says:

@Olivier: Well, that’s irrelevant. 64-bit and 32-bit versions of Internet Explorer have slight differences but probably the same user-interface team have worked on them. It is unimaginably easy to build an MUI pack and compile it to work on all four platforms.

So, I think it’s safe to say that if the 64-bit version of one MUI pack is not available yet, it won’t be available ever. In other words, hypen means: "Will never be available".

What I actually asked and would like to know is: Why?

23. Geldlenen says:

This is great! Any idea when Hindi for x64 is available?

We think that IE8 is a great improvement, we deployed it directly to our workstations.

24. Frank Lesniak says:

Sorry for posting here, but other (more relavant) posts seem to be closed for comment. I noticed today that when I script against the Windows Update API on Server 2008 Core (Server Core), I’m offerred IE8 as an update. Since server core does not have IE, why am I being offered it? Is it a mistake, or would installing IE8 only install a legitimate subset of components (e.g. updating Windows Scripting Host to the latest version)?

Please advise. Thanks!

25. tommyi says:

ie 8 is on my downloading items but therefore that I have a Multi Language Version of Windows I cant get a german version because the MUI for IE 8 should come anytime later, then I dont want to have it!!!!!!!

Dont offer me IE if it is not in my language available!! I am angry about that

26. Fleet Command says:

Hold your horse, tommyi. German version of Internet Explorer is already available. It has been available for a long time.

Please kindly consider thinking and googling before getting angry.

27. Patrick Dreier says:

I have problems with german languages Pack failed.

28. Patrick says:

I have problems with german languages Pack failed.

Windows Operating System: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition Version 2003 Servicepack 2

29. IEBlog says:

With the “final” release of IE8 for Windows Vista and other versions of Windows in several languages

30. Mehrdad says:

Ted: That’s bull.

In the past, Microsoft released Persian LIPs for both Windows XP and Office 2003. They’re still up on their download center.

Amongst big companies, Google supports Persian as well.

Regardless, Firefox is now officially available in Persian.

So I don’t care what market the IE team holds value for.

31. Ted says:

Mehrdad: What, specifically, is "bull"?  Are you suggesting that Microsoft *isn’t* making decisions based on the market?

See also:

32. Mehrdad says:

Your reasoning is bull. Fact of the matter is I can download MS products from their website, IE being one of those products.

To me, Microsoft’s policy in this respect seems to be self-contradictory.

The fact that they let Iranians download stuff off their website is awesome, even though- as it stands- it’s illegal and the Persian market apparently isn’t profitable for them(e.g Bandwidth costs).

Bear in mind though that Iran is’t the only Persian speaking country in the world. The official language of Tajikistan and Afghanistan is Perisan too and an approx 15% of Pakistan population also consist of Persian speakers.

As you can see, I can understand English pretty well, so it isn’t really of concern to me whether a particular company considers making a Persian language pack for one of their products.

I’m rather regarding the matter from a wider perspective.

But as I implied in my first comment, it’s all up to the IE team to make a Persian LIP or not, after all they are in charge of their product.It’s their decision…

That’s why I’m moving on to a whole different platform where it’s all about my software and hence my decision.

I’m sending this from IE by the way; it won’t be long though when I’ll be posting comments from Firefox and Linux.

Good for me! eh? 😉

33. In the past I’ve produced stats trying to estimate the percentage of the world Internet population who can get each of the major browsers in their native language. At Seth’s request, I recently updated the stats for Firefox 3.5, and you can get the new

34. Patrick says:

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition 2003 Servicepack 2 Internet Explorer 8 is newer Version of Year 2009 than Windows 7 Internet Explorer 8

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition 2003 Servicepack 2 Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

35. I’m experiencing problems with typing Cyrillic messages into Html boxes in IE8. Sometimes it works fine, but sometimes some strange symbols are being typed instead of Cyrillic. If I type Cyrillic in Notepad and then copy and paste, it always works.

36. IEBlog says:

We are pleased to announce the availability of Internet Explorer 8 Multilingual User Interface (MUI)

37. News says: