Prepare for Automatic Update distribution of IE8

In January we blogged about our plan to distribute IE8 via Automatic Update/Windows Update (for simplicity, we’ll refer to this as Automatic Update for the rest of this blog post). This post provides some additional information about how users and administrators are in control of browser upgrades.

Last week, we released IE8 via Automatic Update to users still running pre-release versions of IE8 (Beta 2 or Release Candidate 1). The goal was to make sure users who chose to install IE8 have the latest up-to-date version.

Starting on or about the third week of April, users still running IE6 or IE7 on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, or Windows Server 2008 will get will get a notification through Automatic Update about IE8. This rollout will start with a narrow audience and expand over time to the entire user base. On Windows XP and Server 2003, the update will be High-Priority. On Windows Vista and Server 2008 it will be Important.

IE8 will not automatically install on machines. Users must opt-in to install IE8. Users will see a Welcome screen that offers choices: Ask later, install now, or don’t install.

IE8 welcome screen

Users who decline the automatic update can still download it from or from Windows Update as an optional update.  For more information about the Automatic Update experience, see Jane Maliouta’s blog post from January 6th.

If an organization uses Automatic Update to keep Windows up-to-date but wants to manage its own deployment of IE8, a free Blocker Toolkit is available that will block automatic delivery of IE8.  This blocker toolkit was released in January 2009 and has no expiration date.  For more information, please review the information for IT administrators at the Windows Update/Microsoft Update site on TechNet, as well as the Blocker Toolkit FAQ.  Organizations that wish to block the distribution of IE8 should have their blocking in place by the week of April 20th.

Organizations that use Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) and Systems Management Server (SMS) can deploy IE8 in the same manner as they would deploy any other update.  We will release IE8 to WSUS in July 2009; it will be classified as an Update Rollup and must be approved to install on groups of clients within the organization.

Eric Hebenstreit
Lead Program Manager

1. benjamin says:

Are you folks ever going to fix the wallpaper rendering bug that seems to occur when using XP, IE8 and setting the desktop to ‘hide desktop icons?’

Whenever I do as much the wallpaper (that’s normally stretched) reverts to its normal size, which is really aggravating.

It’s actually the only thing keeping me from using IE8.

2. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@benjamin: I’ve never heard of an issue there.  Can you provide step-by-step instructions to reproduce this issue?  thanks!

3. Fowl says:

What behaviour will occur if a non-IE browser is set as default? Will IE take over if a user presses next until it goes away?

4. Pablo says:

I know this is not the place to ask for help, but I couldn’t find another way to contact the IE Team.

Since I installed IE8 the images in "Help and Support" are broken. I searched if anyone had the same problem but I found nothing.

Screenshot of the problem:

5. _dan says:

Great move guys! And i’m saying this as web developer.

6. _dan says:

Great move guys! And i’m saying this as web developer.

7. Kurzbeschreibung: Finalversion des Windows Internet Explorer 8 (kurz: IE8) für Windows XP. Der IE8 ist die Internet Explorer-Version von Microsoft, welche bislang Web-Standards in der Voreinstellung am besten unterstützt. Dessen Installation ist somit

8. hAl says:

Will some of the anoying slow addon issues be solved by then ? Any info from 3rd party addon makers on that (or even from the MS Office team)?

Will IE8 be updated prior to automatic update to overcome any issues found since it’s release (for instance not being able to handle large amount of entries on the restricted sites list) ?

9. ryan says:

Are you going to fix the problem i have with ie8 when i view a certain Myspace profile that has lots of videos and pictures, and i scroll down the page, ie8 pauses for about 10 seconds, then scrolls down the page.

I don’t think my pc is slow because it’s a p4 2.8ghz with 512mb ram and i closed antivirus and all other programs that were running.

When i visited the Myspace profile and pushed ctrl atl del and looked at my pc’s performance, it said it was using 100% cpu usage and i only had 11000 K out of 515056 K Physical memory left.

The particular Myspace page that causes this high cpu and ram usage and delay in scrolling is located here:

I reported both issues to microsoft using the "report a webpage problem"

add-on when i was using ie8 rc1, but this problem still exists in the final version of ie8.

10. SiSL says:

You know what is worst for IE8 distribution?

"IE is not faster, it loads slow" blah blah from most of my users…

You know why? All problems are caused because all toolbars and extensions that are not compatible, that is left as legacy from upgrade IE6 or IE7.

For God’s sake, please disable all toolbars, if possible, all AX extensions while installing.

And inform users for new versions of major toolbars like "Google"s…

IE8 is fast as hell, just users don’t understand it because of such extensions.

11. frymaster says:

ryan: chances are that’s a combination of flash, javascript, and the amount of images on that page.  I get a very huge pause waiting for that page to load simply because, the way it’s constructed, it won’t display the text content before it’s loaded some of the images.

I’d also add that, barring a new computer (I’m not saying yours is slow, but it wouldn’t have been classified as "fast" 5 years ago), you would probably find many things ran smoother if you could upgrade your RAM to 2 gigabytes.  If you don’t want to splash out on a new system this would be a very cost-effective upgrade.

12. MT says:

And there is still no MUI for Windows XP version of IE8. "Great"

13. Le blog de MSDN vient d’apporter quelques précisions sur la distribution d’IE 8 dans les mises à jour automatiques, que ces mises à jour s’effectuent par une fonctionnalité de mise à jour automatique ou par Windows Update.

14. fr says:

What is the reason for waiting until July to release to WSUS?  If it’s ready to be released by automatic updates, it should be in WSUS too.

15. TechBlog says:

If you’re on a Windows PC and using Internet Explorer 6 or 7, you’ve got a decision to make soon. Microsoft, which finished and released Internet Explorer 8 last month, is about to start pushing the latest version of the…

16. DoNotAllowIE80 says:

reg ADD "HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftInternet ExplorerSetup7.0" /v DoNotAllowIE70 /d 1 /t REG_DWORD /f

reg ADD "HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftInternet ExplorerSetup8.0" /v DoNotAllowIE80 /d 1 /t REG_DWORD /f

17.   Starting on or about the third week of April, users still running IE6 or IE7 on Windows XP, Windows

18. russian israel says:

I still see many websites, that doesn’t work properly on IE8. Webmasters should check their websites and fix it as soon as possible.

19. Nono the funny looking hoover says:

Wohoo! I can’t wait seeing the count of IE7 users drop. Too bad the rate of IE6 users probably won’t be affected much by this.

20. Nono the funny looking hoover says:

Wohoo! I can’t wait to see the count of IE7 users drop. Too bad the rate of IE6 users probably won’t be affected much by this.

21. "Users must opt-in to install IE8."

I really really don’t like that statement.

Are there any new objects in the JScript engine that I can use for object detection to determine if it’s IE8 (so I can figure out without conditional comments if the browser is IE7)?

22. Starting on or about the third week of April, users still running IE6 or IE7 on Windows XP, Windows Vista

23. hAl says:

Object detection and conditional statements are discusses here:

I think it suggest you use conditional statements on all object that do not work across browsers or object that you think do not work across browser by using detection of the used object itself and not by some generic object which in particular identifies a browser version.

24. Henk Poley says:

I’d rather have a fix for the slow IE8 startup (blocked sites and/or ActiveX killbits related) rolled ut before mass deployment.

25. Julian Becker says:

When do you plan on shipping MUIs for WIndows XP and XP x64 – I am running these 2 systems and well.. so far the releases are English and my UI language is German!

26. shakaran says:

Please in the next version of IE, IE should support more standars. In Acid3 test IE8 get a 20/100, this is really bad!

27. Meshach says:

All version of IE are crap, but IE8 is an improvement over IE6.

So, for once, you are making a very smart move Microsoft!

28. Meshach says:

All version of IE are crap, but IE8 is an improvement over IE6.

So, for once, you are making a very smart move Microsoft!

29. so tec says:

sadly not all big company’s that use ie6 have or use automatic updates, so I guess I’ll be coding for ie6 for sometime to come….

30. Alan Hogan says:

Did I read that correctly? You will not be pushing this out to some users until July?  Okay, I’m sure you have some reason.

I do have to express disappointment that your upgrade "welcome screen" does not mention web standards anywhere, or that it is more compatible with other browsers.

I find it downright shameful that when I visit in MSIE6, I am greeted with a LARGE promotion urging me to get Silverlight, but for even a link to Internet Explorer I have to really look for it.

You need to have LOUD (or at least noticeable) items on ALL your websites urging users to upgrade from IE6 (and soon, IE7).  Isn’t it your responsibility?

31. Update all IE6 to 7, but for god’s sake leave my 7 alone till you come out with 9. Not an early adopter here, thanks.

32. Neil Shukla says:

I’d be fine with this, but Internet Explorer 8 breaks Pro Tools 7.4 M-Powered on Vista. This is pretty huge, Pro Tools WILL NOT open after I install IE 8. When I uninstall it, Pro Tools works fine.

33. jim says:

One more reason to disable automatic updates.

When will microsoft learn that the way to update is on demand of the user, not demand of the computer?  So many people I know who have their work or games just suddenly STOP because the damned idiotic automatic updates are starting in the "background".

Stupid things like this is why I really hate developing for the windows platform.

Just put a freaking UPDATE button on the freaking menu bar.  How freaking hard would that freaking be?  It’s bad enough that many applications check for updates on startup, but at least they generally give an option to disable that.  It’s freaking hundreds of times worse when it’s the operating system and you can only disable it by constantly changing the freaking register.  Which, naturally, changes BACK after you install any other MS app!!!!! AAAARGH.

34. Anton says:

If you had followed web standards from the start (or at least IE6) this issue with not wanting to upgrade wouldn’t have happened.

But, sort of, good news anyway.

35. Anton says:

For meanwhile, people like me have to rip their hair out every day until… forever 🙂 or at least until IE loses its market share.

36. Anton says:

37. If a person declines will they be prompted again in a few days, weeks? Looking forward to an ie6/7 free World 🙂

38. sylv3rblade says:

ah yes.  stupid things like automatic updates for security issues are stupid.  I’m glad you’re not in the microsoft team.

39. Sweet says:

I like IE6. I like it because bad developers find it too hard to work with, too hard to make things look and work the same as other browsers. It sorts out the wheat from the chaff.

I’ve only ever encountered one bug in IE6 that I couldn’t fix without javascript. That is the if you have multiple elements in different parts of the DOM that you want to appear raised above prior or following content, it’s not possible thanks to the way IE handles z-index. You have to get the offset to the page and use javascript to drop them into a DOM element on the same level and reposition them, which sucks.

The ui in IE7/8 sucks too. I don’t think any developers actually use those browsers for anything other than testing.

Long live IE6!

–this post written and transmitted using Opera

40. Anand says:

This is a fantastic move for web designers/developers. This will save companies a lot of money and headaches to not have to develop for IE6.

41. kiwibrit says:

Will those who have already upgraded to IE8 final receive further updates automatically?

42. Hans says:

Yaaaaay… now I won’t have to support IE6 anymo-…. wait, what? Windows XP, Vista, Server 2003, and Server 2008 only? What about Windows 2000? Do you have any idea how many businesses and individuals still run 2000? No wonder Firefox is eating away at IE’s dominance. In my opinion, it is a big mistake not to support Windows 2000. Even if Microsoft isn’t supporting the operating system anymore, this is a browser application…

43. someone says:

The Automatic Updates should install IE8 even on Windows 2000, ME, 9x…

It is better to have a not working/starting IE8, than to use the IE6

(at least from the point of view of web developers)

44. Dhhdhjdhd says:

This won’t stop the real ie6 problem which is where it’s being kept in place by incompetent sys admins who spent huge amounts of money on intranets that on work in ie6 and therefore can’t upgrde for years to come or they’ll get fired.

Your "whole widget" ecosystem at ms is to blame for this disaster

45. Marcus says:

Its been almost 12 months now since the readers on the IE Blog have collaboratively asked in agreement with the IE Team members to get the MS Office Team to fix or preferably REMOVE the "MS Research" addon.

It has been proven to be the worst offender for load time lag and has not shown any useful purpose.

Before you post any other topic on this blog for Pete’s sake ensure that you can report that the MS Office Team has removed this Addon.  If not you are WASTING our time telling us about features that won’t matter because IE is still cluttered with useless memory hogging addons.

Thanks – The entire IE Blog reading community.

46. Eduardo says:

Finally Microsoft adds IE to automatic update. The end of IE6 is near!!

Please, DIIIIE IE <= 6

47. Will Peavy says:

Awesome. The sooner you guys push this update out, the better.

48. Will Peavy says:

@sweet – you can work around the z-index issue in IE6 by including a child iframe with a filter:mask(); property applied to it.

49. Nick says:

You say that opt-in is required. What are best practices for having a large computer lab automatically install IE8 without having to go to each machine and manually installing it?

50. digitalmozart says:

I’d much prefer if MS will just compulsorily update IE6 to at least IE7. I can’t really be bothered with IE8 yet, but IE6 is a bit long in the tooth and it’s about time Microsoft deprecate it.

51. Cole Parker says:

How does one unistall back to 7.0 if they find an application needs it?

52. Amir says:

Now the IE6 users better upgrade.

53. Simone says:

Untill you dont make ie8 a compulsory update, xp users with ie6 won’t install it anyway

54. h3 says:

This is really a great move, thanks guys.

– a web developer

55. jordan says:

@digitalmozart – "IE6 is a bit long in the tooth"

Yikes that’s putting it quite mildly!

The IE6 Gift Horse is 2,787 days old! (Two Thousand, Seven Hundred and Eighty Seven Days Old!)

Over 7 1/2 years old!

56. JG says:

Great to hear more details on the autoupdate plan, but still a little nebulous on the ramp-up.

By what date do you expect the notification turned on for all Windows users?

57. Dan says:

Simone, it’s hard to imagine that you have a crystal ball which tells you what millions of people you’ve never met will do.

Hans, I’m sure Microsoft has a MUCH better idea of exactly how many people are on Win2k than you do.  Remember, they have things like crash reporting, licensing, WindowsUpdate visitor data, and some of the world’s most popular websites.  Windows 2000 is NOT very common according to all of the public studies I’ve seen.

58. Web Developers says:

Can you make this an automatic install.

Web Developers

59. Yet another web developer says:

Please, please, please, force this update and don’t let anyone use (or even mutter the name of) IE6.

Yet another web developer

60. Yet another another web developer says:

I agree. Force the update. Please!

Thanks also,

Yet another another web developer.

61. This is some of the best news I’ve heard in a long time. Thank you, thank you, thank you! This one item will save developers a lot of time and money not having to deal with IE6.

62. Oscar says:

Although I think it’s awesome that you are doing an update, why is this an opt-in? Haven’t we ALL learned from the past that users using IE6 are NOT going to update to IE8? IE7 users, I can bet, are NOT going to update in as a majority. It took me about 2 weeks to talk my friend into updating to IE8 from IE7. I don’t feel like an opt-in is going to reach very many people within this century…

63. Hans says:

That argument sounds reasonable enough until you notice that there are still more 2000 installations than 2003 and – just think – even 2% of Microsoft’s user base is a considerable amount of people/servers. In the millions, I would assume.

Now, this is obviously a simplification of things and we can keep arguing over it, but doesn’t it really boil down to the (not entirely unreasonable) point that Microsoft wants to encourage people to upgrade their OS or computers completely? This is what I think the real reason is. Let’s just admit it, once and for all.

Also, consider the fact that Windows 2000 is still in Microsoft "Extended Support"… something, which Windows XP just entered this month ( ).

64. Beginning the third week of April, Internet Explorer 8 (IE8) will be offered as a High-Priority update

65. Daniel says:

Good to know. I’ll continue to avoid it for a few roll-ups in hopes that it won’t disable my second monitor the next time I install it.

66. York says:

You need to entice non technical people a lot more with the update screen. Tell them exactly why IE8 is so much better than IE6 – 7. The current screen just skims the surface. Oh, and while I’m at it, please fix the fieldset background bug.

67. 月光博客 says:

据微软的IE博客报道,微软将从4月的第三个星期左右开始向IE6或IE7用户提供是否自动更新至IE8的通知,开始可能只是一小部分用户收到该通知,不过最终所有用户都会收到该通知。 在Windows XP…

68. tammyray69 says:

The download free comments are just that COMMENTS

69. tammyray69 says:

The download free comments are just that COMMENTS

70. Hope says:

This is the best news I’ve heard from MS during the past 5 years of work as a web designer.  We are so tired of having to add all that extra code in for IE6.  Thanks so much for making IE8 available to everyone.

Also this is a wake up call to all IT departments in America who have fallen way behind the rest of the world.

I say after July, give the IE6 crowd a warning and Stop support after Sept 09′

71. pbnec says:

In my opinion, for windows xp and windows server 2003, the multilingual user interface pack of internet explorer 8 must be released before preparing automatic update of internet explorer 8.

72. こんばんは、五寳です。 4/10 付の IEBlog にて IE8 の自動更新 (以下 AU : Automatic Update ) についての追加の情報が投稿されました。 その前に、すでにお気付きの方もいらっしゃると思いますが、Beta2

73. igalk474 says:

maybe put a ToogleButton(like the combatibility Mode button on the AddressBar)

that enables/disables: javascript &other scriptes,showing pictures,addons(flash,silverlight,java…)

74. Dan says:

hans, extended support specifically means that no new features (or versions) are shipped.

As to your claim that Win2k exceeds Win2k3, provide attribution please?  Also, keep in mind that IE on server is deliberately nerf’d and thus not commonly used or designed for general browsing.

75. dr-exmedic says:

I’ll upgrade when you guys bring back Inline Autocomplete….

76. ComicDork says:

sadly I will not get to use IE 8 until my major client drops support for IE 6 and I’m afraid that isn’t going to happen anytime soon… I’ll have to neg the auto update and stay stuck on IE 6 until they say I can upgrade.

Though as a mac user this is a work only issue that I mitigate with the use of Firefox…

77. jake says:

@Dan – IE on the server? please don’t tell me people have critical applications running on windows2000 as a server. OMG!

78. Dan says:

jake, some customers don’t upgrade their servers as often as they upgrade their clients, and vice versa.

I bet there are more internally-facing servers running really old versions (e.g. NT4/Win2k) than there are end-users.

79. Harry Richter says:

@ jake

critical apps on W2K Server (and W2K3 and W2K8 as well)?

One of the most important ones: Windows Update!

And there is still the vexing problem of apps, that simply dont run on the newer releases. E.g.: my organization has recently moved all its servers to W2K8, but we still have one, that runs on W2K, simply because it does not work on anything newer. And with the economy as it is (you’ve probably read the news), I assume, that we will not procure a replacement for that one anytime soon. Believe me, I would love to move on, but a reality check tells me, that that wont play.

80. Bob says:

Here, we need to have the IE8 MUI version for Windows XP… if not we will stay on the IE6 MUI version

81. autoverzekeringen says:

It’s about time people get forced to use newer browsers, I hate it when I see in my referers: Windows 95, IE4 or something.

82. nbaumann says:

We’re really looking forward to distribute IE8 on >2000 clients. However we’re required to have IE8 MUI for XP available. Does anyone have a clue whether a roadmap/release date exists?

83. levin says:

Kick away IE6,it’s stinking…

84. Evan says:

Will the IE team finally understand the importance of sticking to standards?

It’s really annoying to code two different CSS files for a website – one for IE and another one for all other browsers.

Stick to standards, open your code.

85. Microsoft planea llevar a cabo a finales del mes de Abril, un proceso de actualización automático del

86. anon says:

Great. Nothing excites me more as a developer than having three versions and nine years worth of Internet Destroyer to account for. If any other corporation on earth consistently released crappy products, they’d be bust in no time, and yet Microsoft continues to bask in the glory of market dominance. I suppose some folks are content to be the industry leaders by default, and not actually in relation to the quality of their work. Web Standards shall set you free…

87. Starting on or about the third week of April, users still running Internet Explorer 6 or Internet Explorer

88. JonDoughe says:

@ Jim – Automatic updates can be scheduled or disabled, do please don’t blame MS for users not knowing how to use/secure their computers, they have enough to answer for

89. Dan says:

Evan, good news– you must have missed all of the news for the last year or so.  IE8 has the best CSS2.1 support of any browser.

anon, you’ll get better results if you troll elsewhere.  Everyone here agrees that web standards are a good thing.

90. Nick says:

You should have required the download .. then EVERYONE is on the same page.  Customers still using Windows 2000 – sorry your IE browser is now broken. here are your choices:

-upgrade your PC or better yet,

-get a browser that works (Firefox, Safari, the list goes on and on).

This was your chance to make a difference to make a unified front for your browser and help take the web to the next level, but you wimped out like always.

I now have to support three versions of your browser – thanks for adding uncountable hours of development time

91. Olivier says:

@someone : I agree with you but we also need IE8 for Win 3.x !

And what Microsoft is doing ? Where is Win 3.x 64bits edition ?

92. Seguridad says:

Les cuento, por si no sabían, que el Internet Explorer está confirmado para ser distribuido como una

93. pbnec says:

@MT, Julian Becker, Bob, nbaumann:

For windows xp and windows server 2003, we can switch to internet explorer 7 because the multilingual user interface pack of internet explorer 7 is available.

94. I´m spanish front developer, so i apologise for my english.

Just a question: Why not -ms-border-radius?

Border-radius is an important advanced in CSS, we would build sites more flexibles, without stupid backgrounds to make border corners and i don´t understand why ie8 (the first good browser you made, in fact) don´t include it.

Por el amor de Dios, make the things more easy for us!!

Anyway, ie8 and the automatic upgrate is a great notice.

95. Dan says:

Nick, are you really surprised that the IE team decided not to deliberately break people’s computers?  Do you think they’re going to change their minds because some anonymous idiot called them wimps?

96. Steve says:

Can we intall IE8 without upgrading to medial player 11?  I use a creative device and does not sync with medial player 11 and there are a number media sites that cannot communicate with media player 11. Additionally, i find the GUI to be less intuitive, more difficult to make playlists and generally found it to be a downgrade.

97. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@Steve: Yes, IE has no direct dependency on Media Player 11, and you need not install it to upgrade to IE8.

98. Adam says:

Its amazing how many issues you guys are having. This is my first time on this blog and I’m floored. Its staggering how nieve people are about browsers, considering the amount of time they spend on the internet.

For all of you stating that web developers should fix websites that break in IE, you should do a little more research. If you’re using IE as your default web browser, I encourage you to join the rest of us in the 21st century and view websites the way they were intended by using Webkit or Mozilla. I don’t think you people realize what you’re missing out on. With the exception of you that are locked in to IE6 because of your corporate IT Dept, you should be using Firefox, Safari, or Chrome. Not only are they faster and more secure. They don’t load pages synchronously like IE which causes that pausing issue many of you are talking about. By sticking with these subpar browsers (IE) all you’re doing is encouraging lazing behavior and inferior products.

99. Scott says:

I would like to agree with the commenter who suggested "-ms-border-radius". This would not take long to implement, and would save terabytes and terabytes of bandwidth around the internet.

May I also suggest you implement a "view as ie6" mode in IE8 and then force ALL users of Windows XP to upgrade.

I would pay you to do this.

100. Scott says:

My "I would pay you to do this" comment was meant in jest by the way.

101. Dan says:

Adam, the fact that you think IE loads pages "synchronously" pretty clearly indicates that you are one of the "nieve" [sic] users that you’re lashing out against.

Scott, I know it’s tempting to think this or that would "not take long to implement" but thus far you’ve provided exactly no credible basis for such a remark.

102. Adam says:

Dan, my reference to the browser loading synchronously wasn’t in reference to the actual logic of the program. But seeing as though IE is the only browser I’ve come across that literally halts the users interaction with the page until all items are loaded is what initiated my comment. It’s about the end users experience. Your comment holds true to Microsoft’s attitude in general. "We’re doing it right, everyone else can change, (they) don’t know what they’re talking about."

If you’ve spent more than 10 minutes with each browsers its pretty hard to deny the fact that IE is the worst experience of them all, starting with the UI. We’d all just like the IE Dev team bring IE up to par with the rest of the browsers on the market.  Support of basic features like, border-radius, multiple background images, text-shadow, box-shadow etc, would not be hard to implement. They did however get @font-face right even though you have to create .eot files using Weft(sorry excuse for an app).

One last thing. Please make IE more plugin friendly so dev’s out there can (and want) to create a Firebug like tool. IE Developer Bar is atrocious.

103. Adam says:

Kind of got off topic with the last couple comments. I don’t want to come  off as an IE hater. I support browser diversity, just as long as they call keep up the pace. The whole reason of commenting originally was to say Thank You to the IE guys for finally making this a critical update. They’re making a step in the right direction. Once people start accepting the update, its going to save time and frustration of frontend developers around the world.

104. Baowoulf says:

"With the exception of you that are locked in to IE6 because of your corporate IT Dept, you should be using Firefox, Safari, or Chrome. Not only are they faster and more secure."

I hate it when people say Firefox is more secure and stop there. It’s like they are saying it does what IE does only better. From what I hear it doesn’t handle things the way IE does. Personally I like the extras IE does and Firefox doesn’t. But to say it’s secure and stop there gives a false impression which could hurt both IE and Firefox in the long run.

If Firefox got even more of the browser market you can be sure it would have more viruses. Because people would be trying to make them like they do with IE.

Safari was pushed onto people who didn’t even know what it was and thought it was something needed not extra software through Apple Software Update.

From what I’ve heard of Chrome it sucks. Google may be good but Chrome doesn’t sound like it has lived up to the hype. At least what I’ve read about it in a few reviews.

In the end I’d never try Chrome or Safari. I might try Firefox. But I certainly don’t want it pushed on me like some people and websites try to do. I’m happy with IE7 waiting to try out IE8 through the way I get my updates with Microsoft Update.

105. Michael Ball says:

Will the version of IE8 sent via AU include the most recently updated Compatibility View list?  I’ve read that some sites would have rendered properly in Standards Mode if not for rendering bugs in IE8 beta and release candidate versions.

Also, will the IE team occasionally go through Compatibility View sites, and automatically remove the following sites from the list: a) those that had improperly coded areas of the site now render properly in IE8 Standards Mode, and b) those that have placed an X-UA-Compatible meta tag on the site?

106. Typhoon87 says:

Michael Ball : Visit the previous post for linked below for info on list updates and getting off the list.

107. says:

Nachdem vor kurzem die finale Version des Internet Explorer 8 ver�ffentlicht wurde, darf man sich nun nat�rlich fragen, wann die Verteilung per Windows Update starten wird. Diese Frage haben die IE-Entwickler nun in ihrem Blog beantwortet. So hat die

108. James says:

That’s great that Microsoft thinks IE8 is the fastest browser currently available.

Subjectively speaking though, IE8 still opens new tabs as slow as paint drying, and still feels significantly slower than the competition in page loads.

Simply put, I don’t believe your benchmarks mirror real-world usage.

Google Chrome is fast as all get out to start up, open new tabs, and render pages. Firefox comes in at second, feeling a bit more heavyweight over time, and MSIE8 still feels by far the slowest of the bunch in responsiveness to the user.

Would love to see detailed benchmarks that explain where you’re getting your numbers from because they’re utter BS and don’t reflect what I’ve experienced or anyone else who has tried IE8 for that matter (Walt Mossberg springs to mind).

109. Dan says:

James, it’s a little stupid to call anything "utter BS" when there’s a video backing up the claims (which were never, by the way, as simple as something like "IE8 is the fastest").

If you’re seeing new tabs take longer than 100ms to start, you need to figure out which of your addons is buggy and disable it.

110. Name says:

Why opt in? I happily update to each new version of Firefox without thinking about it.

Get rid of IE6 already without asking users if it’s okay. Put the damn thing to bed already!

111. 4월 셋째주 윈도우 자동 업데이트로 IE8 배포! 이제 브라우저계의 쑤레기 IE6 좀 사라지려나?

112. Baowoulf says:

"Starting on or about the third week of April, users still running IE6 or IE7 on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, or Windows Server 2008 will get will get a notification through Automatic Update about IE8."

It’s the 4th week now and no joy. Unless you meant the third "full" week.

113. Dan says:

Baowoulf, note that he said "starting" and "about."  Also, keep in mind that they don’t turn on the autoupdate for 500 million people all at the same time.  As with all other major rollouts (like IE7) they stage it over many weeks to keep the load sane.

114. Baowoulf says:

Yeah I know, I was just thinking maybe I missed something. With the blog being down a lot lately at least for me. I can wait, with IE7 I think they had a exact date. I just was wondering if it had started to be released yet or if I was a week ahead. Not that I want my IE8 NOW lol.

115. Hi!

I just wanted to thank you for making my life as a web developer much easier. This must be good for the world economy 😉 .

The Developer Tools are just plain awesome, just as the fact that IE8 supports CSS 2.1! Thanks again, awesome work!

116. hassan Iqbal says:

I need the updates for my new browser internet explorer 8

117. JG says:

If you’ve seen Windows Update offer you and update to IE8, comment here and tell us

– what country you’re in

– What OS you’re on

– What version of IE you were using

IE8 update offered: Taiwan, XP service pack 2, IE 6

Microsoft will close comments on this thread soon enough.  When that happens, please tweet about it on twitter with the same format.

I saw a few tweets yesterday from users in New Zealand, so it’s definitely started.

118. Last week we took a look at Compatibility View as a way to retain the older rendering functionality just

119. زمانی IE یکه تاز دنیای مرورگر های وب بود و همگی کاربران از این مرورگر برای مشاهده صفحات وب استفاده می کردند. تا به امروز 8 نسخه از این مرورگر توسط مایکروسافت ارائه شده است و درصد بالایی از کاربران…

120. IEBlog says:

As a follow-up to my prior blog post about Automatic Update/Windows Update distribution that began gradually

121. Bob's Nieuws says:

De afgelopen periode was nogal een periode van veranderingen. Zo was er de bijna overname van Sun door