Rescheduled: February Chat with the Internet Explorer team

The February Expert Zone Chat has been rescheduled for Tuesday, February 24th at 10:00AM PST/18:00 UTC. If you can’t join us live, the transcript for all chats are available here.

See you Tuesday.

Thanks everyone!

1. gillian says:

by the way, the new how-to videos for IE8 are great and all, except the audio on the set part, of get/setAttribute is messed up… the volume skyrockets and all that can be heard is the mic rubbing, breathing, and a whole lot of "snow" noise.  Almost lost an eardrum listening to it.

2. mike says:

Hey has anyone experienced this problem?

If I go to options>advanced options and then untick disable script debugging. If a script error occurs I get a dialogue to you want to debug the page, if I click yes the developer tools window appears and then everything freezes.

Thanks in advance.

3. Annoyed says:

I’m baffled that such a big development company live Microsoft doesn’t have better community tools. The chat is very buggy at least in a non IE browser, the forum has issues cross browsers aswell, the issue trackers vote system produce errors if you isn’t a member of the connect project.

I’m normally very impressed my Microsofts development tools, documentation and forums but frankly this hasn’t been a good experience. Hope you guys focus more on the this since it’s important that you get proper feedback some users might just skip it since it doesn’t work the first time they try.

4. WindowsFanboy says:

I know this is completely off-topic, but I have to say that I absolutely HATE the way IE asks if you want it to remember a password. I wish it would let me see if the password worked before telling it to remember it.

Make it like Firefox or Google Chrome.

5. @WindowsFanboy Is Microsoft supposed to find every site on the internet that has a registration feature (or multiple registration features) and manually determine if you’ve signed in correctly or not? All browsers do this and even with the strictest standards compliance there would still be no single way they would all execute this. At best a pseudo-standard could be created  to signal browsers if authentication was successful or not and frankly I don’t see mass adaptation of such a feature.

6. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@John: I think he’s suggesting that we show the "Do you want to save" prompt on the post-login page, rather than immediately before the credentials are submitted.  It’s a fine idea, although non-trivial to implement.

7. Chris says:

@Eric: It is indeed a fine idea, although the post-login page could be "incorrect username or password, try again", thus making the issue still remain of a wrong username / password combination being saved.

Is there not an HTTP header that indicates a failed login, which could be used, or is it a(nother) case that there is, but hardly anyone uses it correctly?

8. fr says:

@Chris: By offering to save the username and password on the post-logon page the user can simply not click the save button if they see they got it wrong.  It is already done this way in some other browsers like Firefox 3 and works well.

9. FremyCompany says:

@fr : Your idea get a big ‘+1’ from me. IE also need a place where we see all registered logins, so we can delete them (if we deleted or renewed the account, …)

10. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@Chris: "fr" explains the idea well.

With regard to the HTTP Error code; yes, a HTTP error code exists for "access denied" (HTTP/403) but this is typically only used with HTTP Authentication (Basic/Digest/etc) and not web forms authentication.

11. Kevin says:

Its a case once again where Firefox and Chrome show how a browser should work, and IE tries its best to catch up.

Maybe IE9 will be a worthy browser, but we’ll have to wait until 2012/2013 to find that out.

12. Sage says:

As mentioned before, they only want to ship this in time for Windows 7 RC1 in April. Code quality, spec violations be damned.

13. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@Sage: If you believe everything you read on the web, you will find yourself believing all sorts of crazy stories.

When IE8 is done, you’ll read all about it here.

As we’ve stated before, IE8’s downlevel release is not tied to the schedule of Windows 7.

14. mehdi says:

First of all its not easy to find a place to  leave yr feed back or suggestion

I have to idea for IE

1-to split yr screen to 2or 4 or 8  open IE at the same time which u can go and back in each page easily

2-while surrefing in different IE pages you have ability always to keep open Media player or any specific page in a specefic size on yr screen

15. DT says:

How is that functionality not already provided with Windows itself by default?

It even has options for tiling windows as you wanted if you right-click the taskbar, although the results are hideous unless you have some sort of ludicrously large monitor, as one would expect. At least it also has an option to quickly revert the tiling.

16. Olivier says:

@mehdi : it’s not exactly what you’re asking for, but on the left of the tabs, there is a "mosaïc preview" button (or Ctrl+Q).

17. Cj Anderson says:

I know this isn’t the place to write this but I’m really frustrated that IE 8 doesn’t have a way to make the tab cycling shortcuts page up/page down.  I completely understand why you did this it makes sense from a Windows perspective.  However, for someone who is left-handed cycling through tabs isn’t very useful when it is on the left hand side of the keyboard.  Using ctrl-page up/down is much easier.  I don’t have to take my hands off the mouse.  I hope you offer some way to customize the shortcut.

18. fsearch says:

Why does IE 7 eat up almost all of my memory when surfing the net?  My task manager shows a big spike.  Is there something wrong?

19. mehdi says:

When u want to compare  contents of two pages CTL+Q is not a good option because u can read the text.

Or sometimes u want to surf in internet and watch a movie at the same time then u have to click that movie each time u tab the IE

20. hAl says:

Why do not all enabled addons show load times in manage addons ?

21. DT says:

Unless you want a setup such that scrolling in one page automatically scrolls the other, the ability to do that is already inherent in Windows.

I am unsure why you would need to click on the movie each time it loses focus. If your movie player stops playing on losing focus, you could try using a different one?

22. mehdi says:

Its not just for movie ,sometimes y need to keep a page open on top of the other pages even though y click and surfing on thoese pages

23. Olivier says:

@mehdi : OK.

I’ve searched Google but I haven’t tried any software, but maybe they can do what you want :

24. Mathieu van Loon says:

Not sure whether this is the right place to ask this question but google doesn’t give any answers and it seems a technical toughie.

If a webpage is on an inactive tab in IE7, window.focus() does not work. That is completely understandable from a usability point of view, but I’ve gotten a specific request to make this possible for a webapp I maintain.

Is there some registry setting (or other method) to allow an inactive tab to gain focus?

25. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@Mathieu: Sorry, there’s no registry key or workaround I’m aware of that would allow window.focus to switch tabs.

26. Hi, I just want to know, when IE8 stable is released. I’d tried the beta 1. If the Bugs are fixed i think, that IE could be a better Browser than Mozilla.

27. my Internet explorer has stoped working what can we do to fix it./ Thank you