IE October Security Update Now Available

The IE Cumulative Security Update for October 2008 is now available via Windows Update. Alternatively, you can receive this and all other Microsoft updates via the new Microsoft Update. I encourage you to upgrade to Microsoft Update if you haven’t already to ensure that you receive the latest updates for all Microsoft products.

This update addresses six vulnerabilities. The security update addresses these vulnerabilities by modifying the way that Internet Explorer handles the error resulting in the exploitable condition. For detailed information on the contents of this update, please see the following documentation:

This security update is rated Critical for all supported versions of Internet Explorer 6 and earlier. The security update is rated Important on Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP and Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista.  Beta versions of Internet Explorer are not vulnerable.

IE security updates are cumulative and contain all previously released updates for each version of Internet Explorer.

I encourage everybody to download this security update and other non-IE security updates via Windows Update or Microsoft Update. Windows users are also strongly encouraged to configure their systems for automatic updates to keep their systems current with the latest updates from Microsoft.

Terry McCoy
Program Manager
Internet Explorer Security

1. Anonymous says:

I had this automatically update my computer- now IE7 Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Mozilla works just fine- chats work fine.

2. Anonymous says:

Update to the previous comment- updating to SP3 took care of the issue.

3. Anonymous says:

As a matter of interest, does Microsoft have any sort of metric of approximately what percentage of users upgrade their IE install?

I always feel that as web developers we’re in the awkward situation of avoiding critical updates to core applications just to ensure we’re testing in a realistic environment as far as display and memory usage quirks; do you have any figures that could allay (or confirm?) my fears and allow me to feel like the tradeoff is worthwhile?

4. Anonymous says:

I have pushed IE7 with other IE7 updates and security patches along with a security patch KB950759 via WSUS 3.0 which seems to be creating issues with Excel(VB errors with hexadecimal numbers like &H&000405 (unspecified error)while opening Microsoft Office Excel 2003). I have identified it by removing only this patch on two machines and it stopped throwing errors when we open Excel 2003 files.

Background : IE7 was removed from some client machines of developers that require IE6 as per their code requirement. After installing IE 7 I have got several errors like “lookup key was not found in any active activation context” while browsing any sites. In this case I have to reinstall IE7 from downloaded exe. The client machines are Windows XPSP2 with IE7 removed and restored back to IE6.

5. Anonymous says:

Can anybody please suggest the cause and workaround?

Thanks,

Imran

6. adsl says:

Hmm the automatical update installed it on my pc, but now i have problems running IE7 Internet Explorer… he continiously says "cannot display webpage" Maybe its the proxy?

7. Anonymous says:

@Alice: Often, this turns out to be an issue with the firewall.  Please see http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp#firewall

@Imran: The "lookup key was not found in any active activation context" error typically occurs when IE setup does not successfully install all IE dlls.  Is there any improvement if you use the "Reset IE to default settings" inside the Control Panel / Internet Control Panel / Advanced?

8. Anonymous says:

I like the new Microsoft Mshtml Crash 8 browser so much.

9. Anonymous says:

Auto install installed this update or an update for something on my computer thursday early morning. I restarted my computer before going to bed since I had to inorder for the updates to take effect. After waking up today (still thursday) my wireless connection connects, but I cannot actually access the internet. I can useing lan but not wireless. Someone help !

10. Anonymous says:

@Michael: Often such problems are caused by 3rd party firewalls; please check http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp#firewall to see if it applies to you.

11. Anonymous says:

Where’s the patch for IE8 Beta 2?

12. Anonymous says:

A big thanks to my wife who works for MS and worked on this day and night!

13. Anonymous says:

I think if MS knows that there will be problems if users installs another firewall beside its own firewall, then a warning must be clearly shown to the users and the option to disable the MS firewall must clearly be made available to users. This necessitates a Windows Update, don’t you think?

14. Anonymous says:

@Eight:  IE 8 Beta 2 was not vulnerable to the security issues detailed in this months release.

15. cooking recipes says:

Auto install installed this update on my computer today.

16. Stilgar says:

Does this update change something in the layout engine? I recently noticed on my website that the default login control from ASP.NET has different textbox sizes for username and password. It does that in IE6 but every other browser (IE7, Firefox, Opera) displayed the textboxes with equel width. I believe that this update or some other update broke that in IE7. Now it behaves like IE6. It is not really a problem to explicitly set the size of the texboxes but I find it really strange and had a hard time finding non updated IE7 to confirm that it did display the textboxes correctly before and I am not going insane.

17. Anonymous says:

You know.. standards are good, but they appeal primatily to developers.

Users don’t want more standards compliant browser if it crashes every 5 minutes like IE8 does and cannot do even basic things IE7 did (like restoring openes tabs).