IE8 Tab Grouping

Hi, my name is Helen Drislane, I am a program manager on the IE team responsible for some of the user interface including tabs and I‘m going to discuss the new Tab Grouping feature (tab color!) with you. We had a lot of fun putting this feature together, so I am going to explain a little bit about the process involved in designing it and then describe the things you can do with it.

EVOLUTION OF THE DESIGN AND ALGORITHM

After shipping Internet Explorer 7, the IE team collected data from user reviews, from IE Feedback on MS Connect, and from other Microsoft product teams. We formed a list of top user requests which included the new Reopen Closed Tab feature, the new tab Crash Recovery feature, work to ensure that a bad tab would not hang the other tabs, the new Duplicate Tab feature, and many others. That list also includes the following two observation: Today, a tab that is opened from another tab is always put at the end of the tab row. Since it is related to the first tab, it is odd that one has to go searching all the way at the end of the tabs to find it.

Based on this feedback, we decided to rework the tab close algorithm so that tab selection is not always placed to the right when a tab is closed, but it is placed on a tab related to the recently closed tab, to get the following behavior:

IE8 Close Tab Behavior

In addition to listening to different IE Feedback channels, we worked with user researchers here at Microsoft to hold Usability Studies in which users came in, browsed the web, and explained why and how they were accomplishing their browsing tasks.

During these usability studies, we found a few interesting trends:

• Users queue up a set of tabs. In other words, users will search for something and open up a handful of the search results to read later. This trend also happens with online news sites; users queue up a set of articles they’d like to read later.
  • Users use one window to handle multiple tasks (i.e. I have 4 tabs open on work-related sites, 3 tabs for news articles I want to read later, and 3 tabs for restaurants I’d like to take my mother to when she visits)
  • After switching from another application, users frequently spend a lot of time looking for a specific tab

In the trends described above, the related tabs (whether they are search results or news articles opened from the same website) would ideally not only be placed adjacent to one another but would also have some visual indication of being grouped together so that different tasks could be more easily identifiable. This is when colors came in to play.

The idea behind tab grouping is that tabs originating from the same source are grouped together. The image below shows MSNBC with two articles from it opened in green, and a Windows Live search on Seattle restaurants with two search results from it opened in blue:

IE8 Tab Grouping

Now with visual indicators on my tabs, I can quickly identify the groups of tabs that are related to different tasks. So if I am switching back to Internet Explorer after using another application, I will quickly identify the blue-colored tabs as information related to the hunt for a good restaurant.

Another important aspect of designing this feature was deciding upon the visual indicators for groups. A common question we get is “How do color blind users use tab grouping?”  We made sure to include these users in our design. The difference between the colors below is great enough that many color blind users can differentiate between the different groups:

IE8 Tab Grouping Colors

In addition, for users who have a screen reader running, we include names of the tab groups (i.e. Tab Group 1, Tab Group 2) on each of the tabs after the title. The picture below shows the two tab groups and the tooltip on the fourth tab containing the tab group information:

IE8 Tab naming for Screen Reader Accessiblity

Now that you know a little bit about the design of tab groups, I will explain how tab groups are created and what you can do with them.

HOW IS A TAB GROUP CREATED?

If, for example, you’re viewing a newspaper website, and would like to queue up some articles to read, there are a few ways in which you can open these articles (links to articles) in new tabs and keep them grouped:

• Right-click on a link and select the “Open in New Tab” option
  • Ctrl-click on a link
  • Middle-click on a link (The middle-click can be done by either by pressing the mouse scroll-wheel, or if your mouse does not have a middle button/scroll-wheel, simply right and left-click at the same time)

In addition, if you right-click on a specific tab and select the “Open a New Tab” option, a new tab will open up and will be grouped with the aforementioned source tab.

If you do any of the above in IE8, the original tab and all tabs opened up from it will be grouped.

WHAT CAN I DO WITH TAB GROUPS?

If you accidentally close a tab within a group, using the new “Reopen Closed Tab” option in the menu will not only restore that recently closed tab, but will also restore that tab into the right group.

Also, when you have completed a task, tab grouping now makes it easier to close everything related to that task by allowing a one click “Close this Tab Group” option in the tab context menu.

If you would rather have a tab not be associated with the other tabs in the group, you can easily “Ungroup This Tab”.

All of these options are available in the context menu that appears if you right-click on a tab:

IE8 Right-click Tab Context Menu

In addition to the right-click context menu options, users can drag and drop tabs. Although the main appeal of this feature is that it works seamlessly in the background (there is no work on the user’s side to get this enhanced tab functionality), there are a couple of us who like to over-organize. For the over-organizers out there, dragging tabs into an existing group will make them part of that group. In addition, you can ungroup a tab by dragging it between two un-grouped tabs.

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

Why does the tab stay in the group if I navigate to another page on that tab?

If you are using a specific tab to navigate, the algorithm assumes that your new destination is somehow related to the group. If you don’t want the new navigation to be part of the group, you can either ungroup the tab, or open a new tab to navigate.

Why does duplicating a tab not group the two identical tabs together?

The new duplicate tab feature (found in the right click context menu for tabs) allows you to take the same tab down a completely different path. So although the tabs are identical, the idea is that the user wants to take them in two different directions.

Why are my home pages not grouped together?

Similar to the response above for duplicating a tab, the home pages usually consist of your mail client, your online newspaper, etc. They are not usually related (except that you’d like them all to open when you start the browser).

How can I turn Tab Grouping off?

From the “Tools” button in the Command Bar select “Internet Options”. Select the “Settings” button under Tabs. Uncheck the “Enable Tab Groups” setting.

I hope the content above not only provides a bit of background into the evolution of this feature but also is informative in explaining what you can do with tab grouping.

Thank you for trying out the Beta and I look forward to hearing your feedback!

Helen Drislane
Program Manager

edit: removed reference to the new tab algorithm and removed two images.

1. Anonymous says:

Can you drag and drop tabs between instances of IE?

2. Anonymous says:

Hi,

I have been using these tabs and it’s kinda related to the bug in IE 8 beta.

So when i open a page, like clicking on an ad and i shut it before it fully loads, this causes IE to open up multiple windows of the same thing uncontrollably which forces a restart of the computer. I noticed this yesterday with tabs as well, i tried shutting a not fully loaded tab and IE opened quite a few windows, which forced a restart…

Anyways thanks for the great work guys. Also one suggestion, is it possible to get a good Inline Spell checker built in. I think this is a much needed and used feature.

3. Anonymous says:

I generally like the new tab grouping but have some feedback.  Note I enable "Use most recent order when switching tabs with Ctrl-Tab" to get the one-true ctrl-tab order if that changes any of this…

In this image http://ieblog.members.winisp.net/images/image1.png the IE7 behavior isn’t always that behavior.  The image is only right if you haven’t navigated away from the current tab.  In other words start at page A, open B, C, D, they all open in order next to A leaving you w/ A, B, C, D.  Ctrl-Tab to D, go back to A, and open E, F, G and they again open to the left of A – leaving you with A, E, F, G, B, C, D.

In IE8 they always open at the end of the current tab group.  It’d be nice if the IE7 behavior applied within the group – so they open at the end of the group like they do today for sequential opens, and then go back to opening at the beginning after you’ve switched & switched back.

Finally I think it makes sense that following a link shouldn’t de-group a tab but I think typing in a new URL into the address bar should.  Typing a new URL indicates a new action and direction by the user.  I tend to re-use tabs and this behavior can frequently result in all of the tabs having one color even though they’re not really related.

4. Anonymous says:

As the color Red is often used to imply danger or something of immediate concern or high risk of some sort, using Red (pink, maroon… or simmilar color) in a tab group could be mistaken for something worse!

5. Anonymous says:

6. Anonymous says:

Could someone who worked on UI customizability make a blog post so that we can hear their side of the story? The customizability is still too less compared to what we were used to in the IE6 era. When will we be able to move the Favorites bar to the right of the command bar? Wouldn’t it be better if the zoom percentage drop down be replaced with a slider (a la Office 2007)? etc etc.

7. Anonymous says:

For tab group colours, IE currently has 5 colours. As mentioned above, colours may not be so good idea. I think IE team should come up with a better idea to "band" the tabs so that users can easily play with groups. The current tab grouping behaviour works as expected at least for me. But, it can be more visualized somehow when a user drag around the tab.

@Soum

Comtomizability is something that developers want and don’t want. It’s great to let power users to play around with UI, but it’s a risk that may bring confusions to many ‘normal’ users.

I think IE’s UI is pretty streamlined and is okay. However, it can be better. For example, many people found out the address bar is ridiculously long and wants to move icons beside the address bar. I think IE Team wants to keep it that way to fit into Vista’s look, but an option would be appreciated by many.

8. Anonymous says:

when there is only one tab, IE doesn’t allow user to "close" it. Please allow the user to close it, either the result is closing the current window completely, or navigate to a blank page

9. nikhiljain says:

Sometimes color coding in tab grouping in not working.. As its show same color for 2 diff tab groups…

10. vikranthpandiri@hotmail.com says:

Doesn’t it looks cool if we have keyboard shortcut for navigating through the tabs???

11. Anonymous says:

I would love to have the ability to group tab groups into ONE tab, so I can click that tab, and a drop down appears with other tabs in that group.

See, THAT would be awesome.

12. Anonymous says:

Whats about saving tab groups?

It could be nice to open multiple pages loading a saved tab group.

13. Anonymous says:

hi , this feature works great and make my work easy … please don’t use red color for the tab because i thought it indicated a harmful site and close that tab

14. Anonymous says:

I really hope the design of the tabs/tab-colors will be fresher later – these colors (and the color fade effect) is really unsexy. Take a look at Google Chrome – sexy design.

15. Anonymous says:

A couple of suggestions:

How about using the color palette from Office 2007 for the tab colors – that has a more professional appearance.

Also, coloring the entire tab with a gradient makes it harder to distinguish for some tab colors… how about replicating what Excel does for an active worksheet – a 2-3px tall line?

Finally, allow us to color tabs individually.

16. Anonymous says:

"Typing in a new URL generally means I am done with whatever it is I was doing in the previous website and I am starting anew with a new website. Ideally, that should tear the tab away from the tab group. At least make that configurable."

I agree, it should remove the tab from the current tab group.

17. Anonymous says:

Will this browser-wannabe finally recognize application+xhtml+xml?

18. Anonymous says:

To me it looks like the CNN tabs are "untrusted" websites because of the red background color used. I’m not sure this is a good idea.

19. Anonymous says:

Using the Beta, I’ve found the tab colouring confusing and the rainbow of colours is overwhelming in the example image shown, detracting from the content of the pages. Once you hit more than 3 colours, people have trouble identifying the meaning. I’d vote for dropping the colours and choosing an alternative means of showing grouped tabs.

20. Anonymous says:

Hey Now,

I’d really like all the new content IE8 is producing. I’d like to state that a hot key for opening multiple tabs all @ once would be great.  such as a group of tabs in a folder.

Thx 4 the info,

Catto

21. Anonymous says:

@vicky_smag : you can use Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab to navigate through tabs πŸ™‚

22. Anonymous says:

@Helen: Re: "Today, a tab that is opened from another tab is always put at the end of the tab row"

I’m not sure where you were when the thousands of complaints came in, but I/WE WANT ALL NEW TABS TO OPEN AS THE LAST PHYSICAL TAB IN THE SET!

(or at least an option to choose this behavior!)

My tabs represent a CRONOLOGICAL order of when they were opened from left to right.  If ****I**** want to sort them afterwards, then ****I**** will sort them, not the application.

IIRC, this was the VERY FIRST bug report when IE7 introduced their clone of browser tabs.

23. Anonymous says:

i dont think red tabs are a good diea

24. Anonymous says:

I think I read that someone had filed a bug report for IE8 for the alpha filter being applied to non-applicable z-index stacking orders.

Has anyone from microsoft indicated when this will be fixed?  Some of our more advanced users are using Beta 2 (which we ~support) but we’ve had to tell them to downgrade to the IE7 compatability view mode until this is fixed.  We understand that it is a bug in the beta, but they think our application is "non-standards" based as a result, which is rather unsettling from a public relations perspective.

Is there a bug # I can point to so that our users can at least identify/validate that the bug isn’t ours?

25. Anonymous says:

Personally I’d also like to be able to group tabs.  Sometimes I want to group things together that started seperately, but that doesn’t seem to be an option.

Also I agree, red tabs aren’t that good of an idea.

26. Anonymous says:

Given the claim that colorblind users were taken in mind, I had to verify this, even though I’m not colorblind myself. πŸ™‚

Since I can’t change my vision at will, I checked this page using http://colorfilter.wickline.org/?j=1;t=d to see if the tab colors really do work with color blindness.

When simulating deutanopia (red/green color blindness; no green cones), I find it very hard to tell apart the first group from the last group.

For grayscale/achromatopsia, the last one is near impossible for me to distinguish from #3, and it’s also hard to tell it apart from #2 (though easier).

Now, according to Wikipedia, only 0.00001% (~650) of all people suffer from achromatopsia – and it is pretty tough when you have that few end possibilities to choose from. The deutanopia is a bit worse: Wiki puts this at 1 to 1.2% of men (cf. 1 to 1.3% of men for protanopia, the inability to percieve red). That’s about 39 million people.

It might be too late in the process, but if possible, it would probably be a good idea to see if a different color can be found for one of those two, without a different conflict ensuing

27. Anonymous says:

When a page is rendered in IE8 but in "compatability mode", is there a way to tell? (vs. loaded in a pure IE7 install?)

I’d like to know so that I can inform users that have switched it to "Legacy Mode" that turning "Standards Mode" back on will improve their experience.

I realize that lots of users are running in compatability mode whilst the bugs in IE8 are sorted out but I’d like to ensure the users "flip the switch" back to standards mode when IE8 is done (and our applications are prepared for the final IE8 release)

thankx

28. Anonymous says:

could you just automatically ungroup the tab once user move to another website page

29. Anonymous says:

Please make the IE7 tab creation behavior at least selectable in IE8.  By this I mean that opening up three tabs from tab A will put them to the right of tab A, as A,B,C,D.  When I go to B and begin opening new tabs, I LOVE how IE7 puts the new tabs between B and C.  It pains me to use IE8 because of the new tabs always opening at the end of the group.

To explain my useage scenario and how this is painful, consider opening up a favorites group in new tabs.  These are my daily sites like news and sports.  I then go to a given tab of those and pop open a bunch of tabs for articles I’d like to read.  I immediately grow from 4 or 5 tabs to something like 15.  When I create these new tabs, I want them to arrange like a nested list with new tabs to the right of the parent tab.  This isn’t quite solved by tab grouping (which I have turned off in IE8) and it is absolutely annoying to have every single new tab go pushed to the end, since they quickly grow beyond the display space.  So please, give us creatures of habit the option to open tabs like IE7 did, otherwise I probably won’t upgrade to IE8.  Accelerators are awesome but I use tabs in every session while I would use an accelerator every few days.

30. Anonymous says:

Tab Grouping is one of my favorite new features in IE. If I can make a small feature suggestion to Tab Grouping: how about enabling switching between grouped tabs using Ctrl+Tab. Tabs that aren’t part of a group would not be switched to when using Ctrl+Tab.

Keep up the great work!

31. Anonymous says:

I laugh at the stubbornness of those who come here to troll, or who don’t like the behavior, and want the feature dropped.  As was clearly stated in the post, _you can disable it_.

32. Anonymous says:

@Sterling:

I realize this isn’t quite what you’re asking for, but ctrl+alt+arrow (left or right) takes you to the first tab in the next group in that direction.  So if you "fall off" the current tab group with ctrl+tab you can loop around to the beginning with ctrl+alt+left arrow.

@please fix this

If you follow the instructions in the FAQ in the original post, under "How can I turn Tab Grouping off?", the tabs will open in a purely chronological order.

@a bunch of people

There is a tradeoff to automatically ungrouping after typing in the address bar.  On the one hand, there’s a chance you want to branch off into a new task unrelated to the previous group.  On the other hand, we want to minimize the experience of tabs changing colors and moving around on you unexpectedly.  Tab groups are designed to be contiguous, so if we ungroup a tab in the middle of a group when you type an address, things could move around a bit and be disorienting.  We’re always considering the right balance to strike.

33. Anonymous says:

↑↑↑↑ It just a example.

I have lots of tabs(8,9,10,….,etc.) on IE, and I don’t think IE is "easy" to "close" tabs that i want.

34. Anonymous says:

Right now I think the tabs on IE8 are too visually noisy.  It is also a bit hard to tell which tab is associated with the active page.  You should consider some element of translucency to soften up the tabs that aren’t active so they aren’t as "glaring".

35. Anonymous says:

@idonotknow: Simply middle-click the unwanted tabs to close them.

36. Anonymous says:

@Tiulle: Use the document.documentMode property.  It’s only available in IE8.  It returns "8" for Standards mode in IE8, and returns "7" for Strict/Compatibility mode in IE8.

37. Anonymous says:

Hi: good idea to make tab groups, but after several weeks using ie beta 2 I still find using groups confusing and difficult.

– the only way I found to intuitively create a group was to open new tabs from a base web page. So if I am on yahoo.com, I open Yahoo finance and it creates a group. There seems to be no way to group tabs another way (sorry I did not read this blog post fully, perhaps the answer is there, but please consider that 95% of your users will not read docs, they will just try to right click and other known Windows commands to see if this works)

– once a group is created I can ungroup them (guess what I did? right click > ungroup. this one was easy :)). But then I cannot re-group the 2 yahoo + yahoo finance pages into a group again. Right clicking no longer shows any option for grouping.

Good luck… it can be a great feature but you need to make it easier and more intuitive than  reading docs (even if well written).

38. Anonymous says:

@Michael Ens [MSFT]:

Hi,

Yes, it’s not exactly what I had in mind, but it’s still useful. I like it πŸ™‚

Thanks for the tip!

39. Anonymous says:

I like the new groupings. However, I was hoping they’d also work from e-mails. I tend to go through my e-mail newsletters, clicking on all the links in each and only when I’m done to go to the browser to read the articles.  It’d be nice if each e-mail produced a tab grouping.

40. Anonymous says:

please don’t complicate the tab handling.. see what the tab creators are doing: Firefox for example

thanks

41. Anonymous says:

I’d like to ditto Matt’s comment (October 01, 2008 2:02 PM).

I browse an IT news site and open up the individual articles which frequently contain links to external sources.  In IE7, if I open the external sources in a new tab they appear to the right of the current tab but in IE8 they appear at the end of the group.  Closing the new tab in IE8 gives the focus to the last tab in the group, not the tab I was just viewing.  While IE7 doesn’t give focus back to the last tab I was viewing it will at least give focus to the next tab on the right so I know the tab on the left was the tab I was viewing.

For example IE7 produces this: A is the home page and B,C,D are the articles, opening a link from B new gives A,B,E,C,D.  After viewing and closng E the focus will be given to C.

I think the groups in IE8 are still good but the logic for opening tabs within the group should mimc IE7… or at least be configurable so the other 50% of people can have all tabs open at the end.

42. Anonymous says:

franco, Firefox "tab creators" will copy tab groups from IE8 anyway.

43. magicalclick says:

Can you make current tab more obvious? On IE7, it is blue when rest is gray. Now, they are colorful. I can’t tell which one I am looking at. Well yeah, I can if I squeeze my eyes for the tiny color difference.

44. Anonymous says:

@EricLaw [MSFT]:

Thanks a lot. πŸ™‚

45. Anonymous says:

@Michael Ens [MSFT] : I’m not sure Ctrl+Alt+arrows is a great shortcut to use.

Some (many ?) graphic cards have this shortcut enable by default to rotate the display. When I tried your shortcut, I forgot my computer had that and my display with sideways πŸ™‚

@franco : yeah, of course, firefox are the tab creators… They just copied it like every other firefox’s "exclusives features".

46. Anonymous says:

@Michael Madsen: although you are correct I doubt MSFT will alter this.  The colors are pulled directly from the windows Logo (Blue/Yellow/Green/Red) (and all other products that pull those colors)

For me I hate that one moment all my "digg" tabs are Blue, then depending how I open/close tabs, all of them are now yellow… then all green.

This looks like a feature that will soon be turned off… its like "personalized menus" in Office/Start… neat idea, but a failed implementation.

47. Anonymous says:

The new tabbing functionality is nice, but I am always disappointed in how limited the TDI functionality is in web browsers as compared to other applications.  I remember using MSDN’s Document Explorer as a web browser and it offered the full gamut of TDI functionality including the ability to tear tabs into free floating windows, drag windows back into tabs, drag tabs into multiple horizontal and vertical groups and docking tabs onto the sides of the browser.  I understand that this extent of TDI may be confusing to end users, but I think in some cases it is quite useful.

Here is a real scenario where I used this level of TDI.  I would browse to a search engine and enter in a search phrase.  I would then drag that tab to be docked to the left edge of the browser window.  I scan the search result links and open them into separate tabs which I would then drag into individual horizontal tab groups.  I would then review each page and open any new links into further tabs into that tab group.

At the very least what I would like to see is the ability to tear tabs into free floating windows and vice versa.  This is something that no browser has done well until Google Chrome, which offers this functionality in an extremely fluid manner.

48. Anonymous says:

@Halo_Four: Chrome’s tab re-order and tear-off/integrate behaves exactly the same way as Safari 3’s, and both are extremely slick.  It’s probably the biggest thing I miss when I’m using Firefox, or am otherwise required to use IE.

I’m inclined to agree with the others who have noted that red is probably a bad color to use for tab group coloring because of its existing connotation for "THIS IS BAD!!!", especially in computing, and even more especially within the browser itself (malicious sites have a big RED address bar, for example).  I know there are only so many colors in the rainbow, but red is not one that should be used so inconsistently.  If red has to be used, I would suggest lowering the saturation considerably so that it’s a more pastel tone and avoids the implicit (and incorrect) statement on the browser’s behalf that the tab group is full of evil, malicious, and/or dangerous sites.

49. Anonymous says:

could you give a option to make the new tab to always open next to the active tab instead of putting the new tab all the way to the end of tabs. the option is very useful for people who uses the shorcut keyboard Ctrl+Tab to which tabs.

50. Anonymous says:

Looks cool. Please add option to toggle between new tab is created next to current tab and created at end of tab group (or end of all tabs if not using groups). Add keyboard shortcut to close tab group (Ctrl-Shift-W). Add "Close Other Tab Groups" to context menu. Red should be changed to Magenta or Orange. Allow users to customize color palette. Allow users to associate a site with a particular color. Add "Change Tab Group Color" submenu to context menu. Maybe allow Ctrl+Scroll Wheel to change tab group color when hovering over a tab. Allow tab groups to be dragged en masse (maybe with Ctrl or Shift drag).

51. Anonymous says:

drag tab group or tabs to new windows

52. Anonymous says:

I am going to try this out and will let yiu know later JIM

53. Anonymous says:

I am going to try this out and will let yiu know later JIM

54. Anonymous says:

magicalclick: If nothing else, the active tab is the only one with the [x] on it.

55. Anonymous says:

In 1 year, IE loses 7% marketshare, by the time Windows 7 releases (end of 2009), IE will have 60%-62% marketshare! Unless you support the full set of standards like the competing browsers by the IE9 release.

56. Anonymous says:

1.  Just like manual ungrouping, simple manual grouping would be nice. Group with tab on the left or right (either option not both).

2.  Typing in a new URL generally means I am done with whatever it is I was doing in the previous website and I am starting anew with a new website. Ideally, that should tear the tab away from the tab group. At least make that configurable. I second, third, fourth this.

3.  Please make Ctrl+S=Save and the ability to save tab groups at MHT files.

4.  Refresh all tabs in a group!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5.  Toggle cookies/pop-up blocker/smartscreen filter for a group of tabs. Zoom and unzoom grouped tabs together.

6.  Configurable option to group tabs (and bring them together) based on top-level domain.

7.  Dragging a tab downwards anyways produces that useless "not available" icon. Make it open the tab as a new window.

57. Geld Lenen says:

This is what I miss in Firefox! I’ve good hopes that IE8 will be a good alternative!

58. Anonymous says:

@Randal: Then why are there 5 different colors in there, and not just 4? πŸ˜‰

59. Anonymous says:

looks like I’m the only person who’d like to be able to save a tab group to favourites as its own folder then πŸ˜‰

60. Anonymous says:

Helen,

A useful feature but implemented rather in a cumbersome way. The grouping and un-grouping needs to be more elegant and frictionless – a’la grouping objects in an app like visio.

I’ve done quite a bit of user studies myself and am very curious to understand whether you noticed the following:

Users struggle with window – tab management issues  -specifically, transferring tabs from one window to another to group them – why doesn’t IE 8 address this ?

Also, why not provide an overview when I mouseover a particular window in the taskbar? The more the visibility into the context – the better the browser.

61. Cooking says:

The new tabbing functionality is nice. Thanks for the great stuff.

62. Anonymous says:

1. The group colors are a bit bright. I can tell that you’ve already tried to tone them down, but you could find a w– Please see the attached gradesheet for details.

–Craig 10/05/2008

63. Anonymous says:

1. These group colors a bit bright. I believe that you could fade/tone them down even more than you already have, and find a way to identify groups that relies a bit less on color.

2. It seemed to me when I first installed IE8 that I could select a whole group just like selecting a tab (with just a click), but I must have been imagining things because I can’t seems to do that. I think that functionality would be awesome, having groups be physical and not just visual.

3. I saw comments that say typing in a new url should break a tab out of group. I’m not sure if I agree with that, so it should be only an option. If not, treat a new url as a ‘break out’ but a new search (even from the address bar) should keep you in a tab group.

64. Anonymous says:

4. Open Group In New Window. Bookmark This Group. Save this Group on Restart. Stuff like that.

65. Anonymous says:

Sorry for the multiple posts, the page would just refresh on me without me understanding what was going on

66. Anonymous says:

What ClearType system is being used in this interface? It looks different to the Windows one and I’d love to use it.

67. Anonymous says:

I request only this feature:

close other tab and preserve current tab group

68. Anonymous says:

^ Close other tabs is already a feature.

Can we have the little "Close Tab" buttons visible on all tabs and not just the current one, and can we also have them visible when only one tab is open?

69. Anonymous says:

EVOLUTION OF THE DESIGN AND ALGORITHM After shipping Internet Explorer 7, the IE team collected data

70. Anonymous says:

Hello,

I have 50 tabs open

can you help me ?

so basicly, i need a "parent" tab for the group

so instead showing say

30 tabs in red color

and

20 tabs in blue color

it will be nice if you only show 2 tab

1 with red, 1 with blue

once i choose the red one,

i see my 30 tabs

maybe some level on the tab ?

71. Anonymous says:

@Michael Ens (MSFT)

/quote

/end quote

Consider removing the tab color when the website has actually loaded (or is loading) and not when the user is typing in the adress bar.

Also, please remove the red / pink color from the tab group. The pink is very ugly. Thanks.

72. Anonymous says:

I think this code might be making life hard for ActiveX’s.  An HTML link with a target of _blank or <some name> opens a new tab and brings that tab to the top, but calling IWebBrowser2::Navigate with the same target makes the tab, but doesn’t bring it to the top.  That is lame.

73. Anonymous says:

I have multiple homepages, but I have the option set so only the first one loads when I open IE (so I don’t open 9 tabs every time I want to start a new IE instance).

But when I click the "Home" button on the command bar to open my entire set of homepages, they ARE grouped.

Based on your post, it sounds like this shouldn’t happen.  And I agree with you: please don’t color-group all my homepages.

74. Anonymous says:

Love the tab groups – though it would be nice to be able to pick the color for the groups and also PLEASE let me drag a tab off the current IE and let it make itself a new IE window (inf act dragging an entire tab group off would be ideal) It would make my life easier when researching issues.

Also dont drop red as a tab color!

75. Anonymous says:

it definitely needs to have an option to automatically de-group a tab after you manually enter a URL to the address bar and navigate to that URL. When one manually enters a URL, it mostly means it has nothing to do with the current group already.

For example, I go to msn, search for Micosoft, click some links, those links are related. After I finished reading a page, I enter amazon to search and buy something, that has nothing to do with Microsoft already.

I have posted a suggestion here, is there such a bug yet?

76. Anonymous says:

In IE7, it was possible by WScripting to launch multiple tabbed webpages in a single window. However, the same WScript programme launches them in separate windows.

Any setting changes required ?

Or, it’s a bug to be fixed ?

77. Anonymous says:

이 글은 Internet Explorer 개발 νŒ€ λΈ”λ‘œκ·Έ (μ˜μ–΄)의 λ²ˆμ—­ λ¬Έμ„œμž…λ‹ˆλ‹€. 이 글에 ν¬ν•¨λœ μ •λ³΄λŠ” Internet Explorer 개발 νŒ€ λΈ”λ‘œκ·Έ (μ˜μ–΄)κ°€ μƒμ„±λœ μ‹œμ μ˜

78. Anonymous says:

Today we’re excited to release the final build of Internet Explorer 8 in 25 languages. IE8 makes what