Installing Branded IE7 on Windows XP Service Pack 3

Hi all,

Last week, I blogged about installing Windows XP SP3 and how it affects different versions of Internet Explorer (See my earlier blog post here). Today I will be discussing installing branded/custom versions of IE7 on machines with Windows XP SP3 installed. This post is primarily aimed towards folks who use the Internet Explorer Administration Kit 7 (IEAK7) to create custom IE7 packages, like Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and web developers. If you ever installed the IEAK7, built a custom version of IE7 or distributed a version of IE7 to others, this post is for you.

When installing a branded version of IE7 (like the one you get on a Comcast or Qwest CD when you sign up for their services) on Windows XP SP3 machine for the first time, the IE7 install might fail with the following error:

Process ‘xmllitesetup.exe /quiet /norestart /er  /log:C:WINDOWS’ exited with exit code 61681”

The reason is that the IE7 package you are trying to install uses old IE7 files. As you may recall, in October of 2007 we released an IE7 update, which in addition to turning on the menu bar by default and removing WGA validation also addresses the XMLLite issue above.

XMLLite.dll is one of the components that ships with IE7. This DLL is necessary to run IE7, and IE Setup installs this component as part of IE7 installation. XPSP3 contains an updated version of XMLLite.dll, so when you try to install an older version of IE7 on XPSP3 machines, IE Setup fails to install XMLLite since it’s already on your system; hence, you get the error. In the IE7 update, we modified the install logic to only install XMLLite if it’s not already present on the system.

Call To Action

If you produce custom IE7 packages, you need to ensure that those packages will install successfully on Windows XP SP3. You can either try installing IE7 on a Windows XP SP3 system, or for a quick test, you can verify the cache of the IE7 files that were downloaded when generating custom IE7 packages. To verify the cache, on the machine that has the IEAK7 installed, go to C:Program FilesMicrosoft IEAK 7DownloadWin32<Language>iebin and search for IESetup.msi or IEBrand.msi.

If those files are not present, then you need to perform the following:

1. Download the new IEAK7 available at TechNet.
  2. Run the new IEAK7 wizard.
  3. Open the INS file you generated for custom IE7 packages. (You can re-use an existing ins file or create a new one, in which case this step is optional.)
  4. On the Automatic Version Synchronization screen, click on the Synchronize button. This step downloads the latest IE7 setup files that it will use to generate a new branded package.
  5. Complete the rest of the wizard, and click Finish.

The new packages will be created in the directory you specified during the beginning of the IEAK Wizard. These new packages will work on XPSP3, so you are ready to distribute them to all your customers.

Thanks,

Jane Maliouta
Program Manager

1. beqiraj.net says:

Installing Branded IE7 on Windows XP Service Pack 3

2. Glen Fingerholes says:

I read somewhere that SP3 removes the "Address Bar" option from Explorer as an available toolbar. Is this true and is there any reason why someone who had it turned on would still have it after SP3 (because I do)?

That seems kind of broken to me, because if I ever accidentally get rid of it, It will probably take awhile and involve registry editing to get it back!

3. johnvig says:

today i downloaded windows updates & windows xp service pack 3 and it totally crashed my system. i lost all my itunes and updates, documents, etc.

one big way to ruin my day!!!!

BIG MISTAKE!! Microsoft you s*ck!

Next time we buy a mac!

4. I wonder if I would have any problems with my IE after I will move on to SP3. Still don’t know if it’s worth that.

5. AJenbo says:

Johnvig you are in the wrong section.

Also have you considered that it might be a fault in iTunes?

6. AJenbo says:

Glen Fingerholes: I still have my address bar and removing it wouldn’t make any science imo. If you do loos it you just have to right click on the bar area and and activate it to get it back. In any case this is not related to IE7.

7. Gis Bun says:

"Next time we buy a mac!" – Perfect English!

Too bad there isn’t an official way to incorporate the branded IE7 intp SP3 directly.

8. Are you serious? says:

Are you serious?

Who still uses a branded browser from the 1990’s era?

I haven’t seen (anywhere) a branded version of Netscape, IE, nada for over 5 years!

Now, on to real issues.  In IE7 I can load up IE, paste a URL in the address bar and press enter long before IE finishes loading.

(a) IE is slower than molasses when initializing… (b) When IE finally does get ready, it puts a MODAL alert up with the *WRONG* title "Address Bar" and claims with the error icon that it can’t load the page I typed in the location bar, even though it would work 100% fine if IE was actually ready.  (c) After the annoying, wrong, and unnecessary alert, IE stuffs my "home" page back in the location bar (in my case "about:blank")

So now, I have to re-click in the location bar to give it focus, and re-paste in the URL I want to go to, and press Enter again.

——

This issue is related to another annoyance on loading, in that if your home page is an actual page (e.g. http://www.digg.com/) or even ("about:blank") IE Insists on loading the page on browser start *REGARDLESS* of how slap happy I get with the ESCAPE key, or get trigger happy on the STOP icon.

If you seriously want to win back a single user that has jumped ship to Safari, Firefox or Opera you HAVE GOT TO GET USABILITY IN IE FIXED.

9. Nicholas says:

Why is half the article in green? did you forget to close a font tag? So much for standards!

10. Teresa says:

I just want to be able to use IE7 with XP Pro SP3 – Why did you take it away???? What do I need to do to get it back???

11. Mr X says:

Are you supposed to run this new(er) IEAK7 on a winxp sp3 client when creating the rollout package?? The ie7 deploy docs (IE7Deploy.doc) only states sp1, sp2 as options on the client, so is it safe to build on a sp3 machine??

12. Mr X says:

Are you supposed to run this new(er) IEAK7 on a winxp sp3 client when creating the rollout package?? The ie7 deploy docs (IE7Deploy.doc) and the IEAK docs only states sp1, sp2 as options for the client, so is it safe to build on a sp3 machine??

13. jeffgranger says:

70 hours ago (and still counting) I made the dreadful mistake of assuming that Microsoft knew what they were doing and trusted them to install Service Pack 3 to my XP Home via Windows Update. What a monumental error. About an hour and a half into the process, I began to get an endless succession of what ended up being over 100 error messages. As soon as I clicked OK on one, another would appear. Errors of which I saw a great many repetitions with minor variations include the following:

RUNDLL32.EXE – EXECUTION ERROR – The instruction at 0x00ac371e referenced memory at 0x00ba32b0. The memory could not be "read". Click OK to terminate the program.

————————-

APPLICATION ERROR – MyCmdRun.exe

The instruction at 0x0089fa87 referenced memory at 0xddc20074. The memory could not be "read".

Trying to write down all of the errors I saw would have been ridiculous, given the sheer number of them.

After over a hundred consecutive error messages with no sign that they would ever go away and allow the update to resume, I held down the power button to turn off the PC. As it rebooted, the PC went into an automated "Recovery Mode" (that name may vary slightly), working at the pace of molasses running uphill. One phase of that lasted well over a day, in which it appeared to copy every file in Windows and I386 directories, and some Program Files directories, including subdirectories, at the agonizingly slow rate of two files or so per minute. Keep in mind that these were many thousands of files.

Other equally slow phases of this recovery mode since this disaster happened include “Updating registry” and “Running processes after uninstall”. For somewhere around 30 to 34 hours now, it has been in a phase called “Performing cleanup”. I am trying to trust (although trust of anything Microsoft-related comes hard at this point) that it is really progressing, since I hear brief but distinct hard disk access noises periodically. I figure that if I interrupt this, I am definitely left with a wrecked PC, and if I don’t, I simply MAY end up with a wrecked PC.

So, congratulations, Microsoft. You have won another convert to Macs.

If anyone out there knows anything more about this particular problem, I would surely appreciate hearing from you.

Thank you.

14. Alex says:

I’ve installed Branded IE7 on Windows XP Service Pack 3 and it gives me an error message when i’m trying to access http://www.cosmet.org

What can it be???