Follow IE at MIX08 From Home

MIX08 kicks off in Vegas tomorrow! We’ve got a few sessions lined up and the event opens this year with IE General Manager, Dean Hachamovitch, being among the keynote speakers.

For those unable to attend, you can follow along at home by keeping an eye on the MIX08 website. The keynote will be streamed live, and the rest of the content will be updated throughout the conference with videos from the sessions, photos, and more.

Check out the site and follow along!

Jefferson Fletcher
Product Manager

1. sonicdoommario says:

Alright, can’t wait to see what IE8 brings up for features. Good luck guys!

2. IEfan says:

I am looking forward to seeing the keynote by Dean; I can’t wait to see what he has to say about IE8, as well a possible sneak peak at the way the browser will look. I’ve seen some screenshots of IE8 Beta and it looks a lot like IE7 — re: cluttered UI, so I’m hoping Dean will debut the new look of the browser, or at least talk about how users will be able to customize the browser’s toolbars.

3. aldo says:

Thats great, I can’t wait, I think IE8 can truly compete now. I have seen a few Firefox (Ewww :P) user’s actually quite intrigued about how IE8 is turning out. Keep up the great work!

IE Forever 😀

4. You’ve been kicked (a good thing) – Trackback from DotNetKicks.com

5. Dan says:

I haven’t downloaded IE8 yet but will once the links on MS.com work.

One request, can you please make the Favorites bar be able to drop the "Favorites" label as an option?  Favorites is nearly twice as long as "Links" and will eat up more space especially if users are forced to retain the star and star+ icons along with the folder icon, the "Tasks" label and drop down.

6. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@Dan: You can turn off the "Favorites" label by right-clicking the toolbar, choosing "Customize" and choosing "Show only icons".

7. Andy says:

Wow, a great feature set for the Web 2.0 developer crowd. Great work.

8. bk says:

The features that are "leaked" until now seem not very impressive. I really hoped you will come up with a new extension system that will allow easy extension development with .NET … so you’ll leave this field completely to Firefox as extension development for IE will still be anything but sophisticating. I thought it was obvious to you that extensions are THE feature that people drives to use Firefox … so I thought it would have been very important to find a really good answer here for IE8. As it seems, this will not happen. Too bad 🙁

Anyway, I’m sure IE8 will be a very fine browser as was and is IE7 and a huge step forward in many points. But I’m surprised a felxible, easy-to-use extension model for devs was not that high on your list of required features.

9. phil_r_5150 says:

@IEFan – IE7 has a cluttered UI?  What are you smoking dude?  It’s one of the most uncluttered interfaces there is, there’s hardly anything on the screen which leaves a ton of room for the page itself – just the way it should be.  The IE7 / Vista interface is very slick (although I shouldn’t need 1gb of RAM and a dual core CPU to enjoy it).

10. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@BK: Today’s announcement is focused on web developer features.

Internet Explorer has supported extensions written in .NET (or script, or COM) since IE5.  See http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/dev.asp for samples.

11. GoodThings2Life says:

To all the folks on the IE team:

I have to admit I’m very impressed with the announced feature-set of IE8. Web Standards, WebSlices, Activities, and Advanced Crash Recovery are all fantastic improvements.

Please don’t let the improvements stop there, however. Two things I would still like to see:

1. Download Manager window.

2. IE8 Standards = Standards, IE7- = Quirks. Period. Anything else only serves to encourage bad developers to continue developing versions-specific sites. It needs to stop.

12. Andrew Powell says:

So when can we expect a js dom fix for the OPERATION ABORTED DEBACLE?

I’m effing peeved that not a single post on this damned blog deals with the shortcommings of the js engine that IE currently uses.

13. IEfan says:

@phil_r_5150 – I love that IE7 only has two toolbars (Address Bar and tabs) ’cause it leaves more room to display Web pages. What I meant by "cluttered" is that IE7 doesn’t have a "traditional" UI, with the Back/Forward, Home, Refresh/Stop buttons next to each other. I’ve become used to the layout of IE7, but I just don’t like that command buttons aren’t in one centralized place.

I loved how customizable the toolbars and icons were in IE6, and I would love that ability in IE8.

14. Norbert says:

Is there a chance the IE will also support SVG?

15. dorian says:

1. Needs an overhaul on the favorites manager

2. Needs a download manager

3. Copy image Url from right click

4. Needs better add-ons

16. Activities and WebSlices look cool, unique, and standards friendly from what I can tell. It would be nice if the first beta will allow me to check for updates on the Mix site for features I may not be aware of in IE8 when I’m able to test drive it. 😉

17. Damian says:

mmm, IE8, glad it’s finally here, but it doesn’t pass Acid2 for me on XP x64 and I have no idea where to report this bug :=(

18. Shelle says:

IE will never support XHTML or SVG. The most it will provide is some namespace support for others to hack SVG functionality, so that MS can continue to push Silverlight.

What cost that back button support? Microsoft has today shown that it will only support standards on its terms, and when it wants.

As for first looks at IE8, here’s one of IE8’s view of my <a href="http://realtech.burningbird.net/standards/ie8-first-looks/">main page</a>. Oh, I serve my pages with application/xhtml+xml, so don’t you try this at home, Microsoft.

19. Shelley says:

20. Mike says:

I’ve been reading up on some of the new stuff, and it’s really nice to finally feel that developers are in focus. Forget about the ‘our customers’ line I’ve heard to many times, this is finally the ‘developers, developers, developers’ mantra that has been in practice at the Developer Division for years now.

Keep up the good work, and you might even get some fans!

21. Thomas Tallyce says:

Cool.. hasLayout is gone. Even CSS counters are implemented.

22. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@Damian: What exactly happens?

I suspect that the WebStandards server might be overloaded at the moment (can’t reach it from here) as everyone downloads IE8 and goes to try the test.  🙂

23. Gyrobo says:

I’ve tried the beta, and I’m completely appalled.

The ONLY improvements to CSS selectors appear to be :before, :after, and :lang() selectors, and NOT double colon notation version.

SVG support is nonexistent.

And to top it all off, Acid2 FAILS.

24. Gyrobo says:

I’ve tried the beta, and I’m completely appalled.

The ONLY improvements to CSS selectors appear to be :before, :after, and :lang() selectors, and NOT any of the double colon notation versions.

SVG support is nonexistent.

And to top it all off, Acid2 FAILS.

25. Gyrobo says:

Looks like the eyes were gouged right out.

26. Rowan says:

Thanks for releasing IE8, we’ll finally see how it handles all our ‘old’ sites. 🙂

It’s good to see that Silverlight 2 still uses explicit browser detection and doesn’t allow something like Firefox 3 (aka Minefield). Will someone tell the Silverlight team what "cross-browser" really means?

27. Rowan says:

@Gyrobo – I bet it passed the broken acid2 test. 😉

Try this anyway: http://www.hixie.ch/tests/evil/acid/002/

28. Rowan says:

On new CSS support:

"In this vein, Internet Explorer 8 will ship with an additional layout engine that is fully compliant with CSS 2.1 upon final release."

29. bk says:

@EricLaw – thanks for the response on plugins. I know there are ways to develop plugins for IE in .NET … but anyhow, I think the whole thing should be set on top of new feets. Developing Extensions for Firefox is way easier and more sophisticating than for IE – which IMHO is the main reason that FF gets SO MUCH more useful plugins than IE. Some great Development Support like for Office with the VSTO would be really cool.

But as you pointed out this is a Beta for WEB Developers … maybe we’ll see a Beta for Plugin Developers 😉

Just tried out IE8 … i really like the WebSlices. Good work!

30. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

ACID2 passes just fine.  There’s a problem with their server right now, likely due to the number of folks hitting it right now.

31. Rowan says:

Confirmed: I tried the test myself and it passes fine.

Make sure you’re fonts and everything are in their default state.

32. Damian says:

I get the same problem as posted in the screen shot. I’ve never messed with any default settings, fonts, zooms, whatever.

I also get it in the link posted above, so one might think it’s not a server error. Though it could be, I’ll wait and see.

33. Webdesign says: