Follow Up to Internet Explorer May 2007 Security Update

After downloading the Internet Explorer Cumulative Security Update for May 2007, some users have experienced an unexpected “Save File” security dialog upon launching Internet Explorer. This might occur when the “Temporary Internet Files” folder is moved to a custom location and Internet Explorer does not have appropriate access rights to the new folder location.

The Internet Explorer Team  is currently investigating appropriate solutions for this user scenario. For your security, we strongly recommend that you deploy the Internet Explorer Cumulative Security Update for May 2007. If you experience this issue, we recommend implementing one of the workarounds provided in the following knowledge base article:

· Microsoft Knowledge Base article 937409

Geoffrey Silva
Program Manager
Internet Explorer Security

1. james says:

when will you start IE7 of china,japan,korea  auto-update?

2. james says:

when will you start IE7 of china,japan,korea  auto-update?

3. ST says:

james

IE7 slip to Q3(2007-07 ~ 2007-09).

IETeam does NOT like CJK(China, Japan, Korea)-DBCS(Double Byte Chanacter Set) language.

I’m from Japan ;-(

4. Ahto says:

I have XP Pro with latest updates and have the same problem. My solution was to disable phishing filter — under Internet Options | Advanced | Security | Phishing Filter and set it to "Disable Phishing Filter".

Note the KB tells you that you can work around this problem by setting permissions on temporary internet files folder. This is not the case, at least here. The folder had "full control" allowed to all users in admin group and I as the computer user also belong to that admin group. Adding my user with full control to the permissions list, as instructed, does not change anything. My Internet Temporary Files folder is under C:temp.

5. Just a note on MSKB article KB937409:

We’ve seen some reports i.e. in the windowsupdate newsgroup, that users who did not have moved the TIF folder from it’s genuine location ran into the issue.

According to my researches it’s irrelevant whether the Temporary Internet Files folder has been moved from the default location. The issue is the (in Windows Explorer by default non-visible) subfolder "PhishingFilter". Deleting that folder will solve the issue in case some rans into. Also moving the TIF folder via the Internet Options to *any* other folder will relsolve the issue too, since with moving the TIF the "PhisingFilter" subfolder is deleted and recreated as soon as you don’t have the Phishing Filter deactivated in the Internet Options (Advanced -> Security).

To summarize: Moving the TIF folder (temporary) to any folder will relsove the issue for those users which run into the quirks.

FWIW,

Freudi

6. china user says:

why will not you start auto-updat of china,japan,korea IE7 ?

Do you really dislike CJK(China, Japan, Korea)-DBCS(Double Byte Chanacter Set) language ?

7. Oh, and yes, I wonder whether it’s intended that on localized Windows version the "Temporary Internet Files" folder gets "renamed" to a localized string ("Temporäre Internetdateien" on German languaged Windows XP SP2 with IE7) after beeing moved.

Bye,

Freudi

8. Aaron Fischer says:

yeah uhm TIF is a system folder Admin accounts can’t actualy change security.  Oh and if you move the the TIF IE works once, with one tab.  Any way keep trying.  I’ll just turn off antiPhising feature.

9. Windows Update no longer correctly functions when I choose custom, it will only install the base items via Express. It also continuously fails to download these updates (KB917344, KB929969, KB931768, and KB890830). They failed to install after restarting XP. I am unable to install anything other then express updates. I manually downloaded the update mentioned on this page and it encountered an error, "Setup Canceled".

I have moved that folder though only indirectly however..

C:Documents and Settings –> C:MEDIASYSTEMUSERS

C:Program Files –> C:MEDIASYSTEMOS JUNK

My system drive is as so…

C:MEDIA

C:WINDOWS

This helps me do two things: 1.) Keeps the auto-generated junk (empty) folders XP generates out of my organized folders (even though I have manually fixed the registry strings including the DOS versions.

2.) Captures programs that think they can just install where ever they feel like it on my system (since I know what the default junk is).

Windows (XP) can be a great OS if Microsoft had stricter policies on program installation. For example the ME start menu has gotten out of hand. Had Microsoft required programs to be correctly categorized in to preset start menu folders (that the user could still customize as present in XP) the default start today wouldn’t have become the evil mutation it is today in both XP/Vista.

Games, Internet, Multimedia, Office, Startup, and System are the folders I have all my programs organized in to and I’m sure other users might suggest other such generalized folders. Microsoft could further clean up the Windows act by forcing companies to keep uninstall, readme, website, and other unnecessary shortcuts out of the start menu.

10. Aedrin says:

"There are two main reasons I’m not using my copy of Vista Ultimate. First off Windows Explorer has been decimated. My icons with text labels (Back, Forward, Up, |, Folders, Search, |, Cut, Copy, Paste, Delete, |, and Views) are no longer available which makes working in Vista intolerable especially when I’m laying in bed and don’t use the keyboard functions as often (F2, DEL, etc). Does anyone have any suggestions for a program that can emulate Windows Explorer in Vista?"

Judging from this statement, I’d say you tried it for about 10 minutes. All of these features are still there. Just because you have to actually -learn- something, doesn’t mean that it’s "decimated". It just means you’re a slow learner.

"Secondly I can not reliably use my media hard drive in Vista. It does not matter what the OS is, Linux, OSX, or Windows: I will never have my important personal files/music/work/etc located on a system hard drive, ever! In XP I can right click on the My Docs folder (auto-arranged UNDER the My Computer icon), click properties, and set it to D:MEDIADOCUMENTS. In Vista I have to manually do so for EACH folder and I’m forced to go with presets I do not like."

Did you ever think to just use your folder? Who forces you to use My Documents?

I’m thinking your next request will be; "Why do I have to do everything, I want to turn on my computer and have it guess what I want!!!1 I demand it!1"

11. Aedrin I think you should do a little research as I spent about a week with Vista.

Vista In-Depth

Vista Conclusion

This of course does not include time I spent with the Beta.

Part of the point of all my criticisms of Microsoft is the lack of consistency. IE6 and IE7 are not consistent in GUI design just as the functionality between XP and Vista is not consistent (for example many games no longer have 3D audio support in Vista).

While I have plenty of criticisms about Windows and IE (who doesn’t?) there are many positive things both the Windows platform and the IE team have contributed. I’ll pick two: the IE team brought us favicons (my Firefox bookmarks toolbar is almost completely textless favicons) and Windows is the only keyboard-only accessible OS (with Gecko being the only browser that fully supports the focus pseudo-element. Try navigating my version 2.8 (28th version) test case of my website in Linux or OSX without your mouse: you can’t and this is an OS level issue as the behavior is consistent between all OSX and *nix browsers. This ship might be leaky but it’s sure brought us a long way!

12. Why IE works in Vista ONLY if protected mode is off?

Since I purchased a Dell E520 with Vista preinstalled it was a mess. It was two month ago and stil I cannot use my system. And I paid it more than €1.600,00! E520 is connected to a home LAN on which are connected two laptops and another desktop, all XP based. LAN is connected to Internet through a USR9003 ADSL Router. All PC can use any application to connect to Internet. The Vista based one cannot, EVEN when Firewall is disabled. IE can connect, but only if Protected Mode is off. I can send e-mail too. But Windows Live Messenger cannot connect, nor Skype 3.2, nor Firefox 2.x, or the latest version of Second Life. I suspect it is some incompatibility in TCPIP stack. I tried hundreds of test to check the most common causes, and TCPIP config is the last chance. I could use NETSH to change parameters but.. how? What’s different in Vista with respect XP????

13. Philip K says:

Has anyone noticed that in Vista x64 attempting to load a XPS document from a webpage with protected mode on will cause a loop that doesn’t stop until you can close the offending window? (difficult with the save dialog constantly cycling!)

14. Andy Keeler says:

Maybe I’m missing something, but that doesn’t happen to me. I’m on Vista x64 and I’ve never experienced the "loop" you’ve described in protected mode. I can tell you that if you are experiencing that problem, use your keyboard and mouse simultaneously (lost art), and it should be easy to close the offending window :).

15. asp.net says:

why will not you start auto-updat of china,japan,korea IE7 ?

16. Oooops, I meant the "AntiPhishing" folder which is used/created with PhishingFilter beeing enabled.

Bye,

Freudi

17. chattr says:

Is there a different about security IE7 Vista version adn IE6 update version

I compare them but I don’t find where is the different!

Thanks

18. We had a few clients that were thrown off by the save file dialog and thought they were infected. If nothing else, it’s getting folks to run a good spyware scan!

19. IEBlog says:

The IE Cumulative Security Update for August 2007 is now available via Windows Update . Alternatively,