Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 Released

I would like to announce that Microsoft released Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2. This service pack contains a roll-up of all IE6 fixes to date. It will not upgrade IE6 users to IE7. For more information about other changes in the release please refer to the “Evaluate and Plan” section of the Windows Server 2003 SP2 download page.

IE7 users can upgrade directly to Windows Server 2003 SP2 without uninstalling IE7 first. There has been some confusion around this point. We are in the process of updating the release notes to clarify this issue.

We encourage all of our Windows Server 2003 users to update their systems to this service pack.

Jeremy Dallman
Program Manager

Edit: post date

1. Anonymous says:

As a web developer, I’m constantly updating javascript files in my applications.

In other browsers (Orange Fox anyone?) a ‘hard’ reload of the page, will get the latest copy of a sourced javascript file… and/or to ensure that you have the latest, putting the full path to the file in the location/address bar, allows you to view the plain text of the javascript file, and ensure the latest copy is loaded.

In IE6 and IE7 however, this doesn’t work.  There are actually a few problems.

1.) A ‘hard’ reload (CTRL+Refresh) or (SHIFT+Refresh) doesn’t always work at clearing the cached copy.

2.) Delete All Browsing History, does not clear said cache either… or the browser isn’t telling the server that whatever version it has of the file, is needed.

3.) If you try to put the full URI to the file in the address bar, IE tries to execute it as Operating System level code, and of course, it horribly breaks… any references to any window/document/forms/links/navigator or other built in object will cause errors.

So, in IE8:

a.) Can you add an option to load JS files as plain text?  It would also cut down the security risk, if a user tried to access the file. (read vs. execute)

b.) Can you look into why the Delete All Browsing History doesn’t work on sourced javascript files? (sounds like a bug)

Is there a bug tracking system for IE7?

2. Anonymous says:

@Dev Question:

1> I’d be very interested to see a Fiddler log (www.fiddlertool.com/fiddler/help/log.asp) of the scenario where you think CTRL+Refresh isn’t working.

2> I have not seen this happen before.  Please provide a URL that reproduces this problem.

3> This behavior is fundamentally by-design, and it would likely have compatibility implications if it were to change.

3. Anonymous says:

Now that Service Pack 2 for Windows Server 2003 has been released, I thought that I would take a brief

4. Anonymous says:

Thanks for the update on IE7/SP2, that statement in the release notes was a little scary.

5. Anonymous says:

When I put a link to a js file in the address bar IE asks me whether to download (save) or to execute (open) it. In the latter case it even shows a security warning dialog. I think this is a reasonable design decision.

>Is there a bug tracking system for IE7?

reopen bug tracking: +1 vote

6. Anonymous says:

IE7 has many different levels of file (image) accessibility.

1) image just opens

2) image doesn’t open. I hit F5 and it opens

3) F5 doesn’t help. But Ctrl+F5 helps

4) Single Ctrl+F5 soesn’t help. But pressing it several times solves the problem.

5) Ctrl+F5 soesn’t help. But adding space to the URL and pressing Enter helps.

6) Previous method doesn’t work. I copy the URL and open it in a new browser instance. It opens

7) It still shows as red cross even in a new browser. I copy URL and use my download manager to download that image. That helps =)

Now a little question for everyone: Why am I forced to learn this useless stuff?

7. Anonymous says:

Internet Explorer Developer Toolbar does not work under Vista x64.

8. Anonymous says:

** – ** – ** – ** – ** – ** – ** – ** – ** – **

Can EVERY Microsoft Employee, that reads this Blog, please go right now, to the team that works on distributing AUTOMATIC UPDATES, and tell them the following:

** – ** – ** – ** – ** – ** – ** – ** – ** – **

DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, EVER CHANGE THE USERS’ DEFAULT EMAIL CLIENT, AND/OR WEB BROWSER, WHEN APPLYING AUTOMATIC UPDATES.

** – ** – ** – ** – ** – ** – ** – ** – ** – **

This is not the first time this has happened, but rather the 10-12th time for my email client, and NOW it includes my web browser.

So again, just to make sure we are clear here:

** – ** – ** – ** – ** – ** – ** – ** – ** – **

** – ** – ** – ** – ** – ** – ** – ** – ** – **

This has gone beyond annoying, beyond monopolistic conspiracy theory, to either:

a.) Dirty tactics, abusing OS powers

b.) Naive developers that don’t think that a large portion of the population, consciously decided to install, and run, a default (email client/web browser) by choice.

If I want Outlook or IE to be my default, I will set them, not you.

** – ** – ** – ** – ** – ** – ** – ** – ** – **

9. Anonymous says:

agree completely, its ridiculous that it still happens every update

10. Anonymous says:

@Enough: IE never sets itself as the default client during an update.  Vis-a-vis Outlook, please consult the following KB: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933450/en-us

11. Anonymous says:

@EricLaw

Re: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933450/en-us

in TODAY’s update, IE most CERTAINLY DID set itself as the default browser!

As I mentioned, in the past, it was just Outlook, every single time. Now, it just happened for IE too. (PS I had a media player update too, if that caused it, then that needs fixing too)

And as for the KB article, I think there is a misunderstanding here.

THAT IS THE ISSUE!!!  THAT IS THE ISSUE!!!  THAT IS THE ISSUE!!!  THAT IS THE ISSUE!!!  THAT IS THE ISSUE!!!  THAT IS THE ISSUE!!!

I should not have to hack my registry, every time a patch is put out for Office.

And what happens if I’m not admin on my PC?… I have to call IT every time it switches?!?!?!

Automatic Updates, NEEDS TO BE FIXED (hence the comment), such that… when it starts an MS OFFICE patch, it FIRST stores the current registry key for the installed mail client, then does its updates.

If for some reason, the patch installer for MS OFFICE, can not be FIXED, to STOP RESETING the default mail client,…

THEN, RESET the registry, with the KEY VALUE that was stored before the beginning of the install. BINGO! Problem SOLVED!!!!!

This is not rocket science.  Even the most novice of VB programmers could apply this logic.

12. Anonymous says:

@ EricLaw

Hi Eric, some people don’t know that IE has had a history of not clearing resources currently in use. People just catching their stride now doesn’t necessarily know to move to about:blank or another page and clear the cache. Additionally, control-f5 doesn’t work great (in most browsers) when frames are involved… there’s no interesting repro steps … just spend some "time-in" with them.

I know *exactly* what "dev question" is going through right now. I suspect he’s using IIS and had some similar experiences I’ve had. I suggest to him that he/she (place within the html page) append "?randomnumber" to the src of the script tag and change it after you re-save your javascript file.

btw, kudos on the behavior improvement to caching. Leaps and bounds better than IE6!

13. Anonymous says:

very very nice infoamations thansk realy….

14. Anonymous says:

@ENOUGH IS ENOUGH

You are OWNED by MS. Get over it.

15. Anonymous says:

[Yes, this is still OT]

Eric Law wrote: IE never sets itself as the default client during an update.

And if the "update" is IE7?

IN RE the install of MS Outlook or OL updates hijacking the default Mail Client: Windows Shell/User, OE and IE MVPs have complained about this for years only to be ignored. KB933450 will be of little use to the "Abbies" out there who want, e.g., OE, Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL, etc. as their default Mail Client.

16. Anonymous says:

Quote:

"After this week’s Windows Update, Firefox is no longer the default browser.  Now, this is so stupid, and most users will obviously reset it in minutes, that I don’t really believe it’s an intentional attack on Firefox. It’s just careless, ignorant.  Classic Microsoft."

17. Anonymous says:

"Windows Update Disables Firefox as Default Browser"

Sounds like "IE never sets itself as the default client during an update." is not a very accurate statement.

18. PatriotB says:

Hmm, none of this week’s updates were IE updates, so I’d say it’s certainly wrong to blame the IE team for these incidents of the default browser getting changed.

Might be someone else at Microsoft’s fault, but not IE’s.

19. Anonymous says:

So, any word on when the AU killing user set defaults for Web Browser and Email Client are going to be fixed?

Was this a one time issue? or is this going to continue occurring?

And yes, I can verify that it messed up my settings too.  Although this was the first time that it took over my default browser.

20. Anonymous says:

I have build a server today using ‘Windows server 2003 with SP1 CD’ and then went to the Microsoft site get the latest updates. The only windows 2003 update I can download is Windows 2003 SP2 & IE7.

Is there any way I can get the pre windows SP2 updates.

Please let me know on my email pleae

jkoothoor@kroll.com

21. Anonymous says:

Who me? Owned by MS? Giggle. For some reason I have not yet had the pleasure of having to reset my mail client. Please note the crossed fingers. I’ll be back when they pry my mouse from my cold dead fingers. 😉

22. Anonymous says:

anyone know how to run executables over the network. i upgraded a server and now i can’t run programs on a mapped drive. i can copy it then right click properties to unblock it but its a PITA.

23. Anonymous says:

@Mikey

If it’s anything like WinXPsp2, there’s an alternate data stream that identifies files as originating elsewhere.  I can’t remember what it’s called, but you should be able to pull up some information on a web search using the text of the XP error message.  Don’t know if there’s some way to bulk-delete these streams via script (sounds dangerous).  Agree, it’s a PITA.

____

"You are coming to a sad realisation, confirm or deny?"

24. Anonymous says:

After applying Windows 2003 SP2 on 3 different Windows 2003 R2 64 bit Edition Servers… remote desktop went to a complete crawl and would disconnect. As soon as I uninstall SP2 Remote Desktop would work great. Any ideas??

juan.giusti<@>appliedis.com

just remove the <> arrows to e-mail me. Thank you in advance.