IE Add-ons Updated

We’ve refreshed the look of the IE Add-ons site and integrated the site with Windows Marketplace. You can go there directly at ieaddons.com or from within IE7 (choose Tools->Manage Add-ons->Find More Add-ons.) While you’re there, take a look at my favorite IE7 add-on, the NewsGator Desktop Synchronizer, which keeps the IE7 RSS feed list in sync with the NewsGator Online list. This lets me keep the same RSS feeds on my work and home computers as well as giving me a web UI to read feeds.

There’s other great stuff on Windows Marketplace including downloadable versions of Windows Vista and Office 2007 – the first time Microsoft has sold Windows or Office via download.

Check it out!

Tony Chor
Group Program Manager

1. David Naylor says:

Lol! I love how they call them "bookmark managers". A Freudian slip of the tongue?

:-)

2. Max says:

It is very irritating that you have announced Vista is available for download when for the majority of your readers it is not… after 15 minutes wasted this appears:

"The digital locker is currently only available for United States (US) currency. This means you must use a US credit card with a US billing address to complete any digital locker transactions, including Windows Vista. We appreciate your patience as we work towards the international expansion of the digital locker."

3. Tim Toennies says:

If you think it’s necessary to use IE7’s RSS feed reader, NewsGator Online & NewsGator Desktop Sync then you need to take a look at Google reader.  Seriously, it’s excellent!

4. TMaster says:

This reminds me – I love the Internet Explorer feed reader. It’s one of the examples where Microsoft can actually pull service integration off, unlike integrating MSN Spaces in MSN Messenger, for example.

However, I find myself using Thunderbird for the few feeds that have a doctype, as IE does not appear to support those. (Though I have to admit, Kubuntu’s news feed isn’t even supported by Thunderbird.)

But why was the decision made not to accept feeds that have a doctype? I’d love to know.

5. In my own personal protest of today’s major story , this entry was created on my Windows Mobile phone

6. Roland says:

Ad filter, mouse gestures, and more:

Highly recommended!

7. @Tony Chor

Unfortunately, publishing add-ons on the IE add-on site got quite frustrating for me due to the following reasons:

1 Lack of IE add-on specific categories in the CNET submission form

When I log in to my CNET account from the ieaddons.upload.com page, I only see the categories from CNET but no additional info regarding the new ieaddons categories. That is quite confusing for publishers who want to directly publish there product under the IE add-on site.

2 Lack of important categories like Security > Ad Blocking or Time Savers > Search Tools.

3 Lack of possibilty to list an add-on in multiple categories. Due to the nature of add-ons, that are often hard to categorize, this would make sense in my opinion. (some download sites have this feature by the way)

4 User comments/feedback got deleted (reset) when I released a new version of my add-on.

5 After the migration with the Marketplace site my IE add-on was not listed under IE add-ons any more but is now listed here

Downloads > Utility Downloads > Internet > Browsers Downloads > Browser Plug-ins Downloads

(even resubmitting my add-on with an explicit note about the migration issue did not help)

6 I liked the old compact layout better. The new layout like the new microsoft.com home page does not fit in my browser window (880×720) any more.

Besides these issues, I appreciate the efforts made in building a dedicated site for IE add-ons.

8. Jon says:

I’m a huge fan of IE7 – as a web developer I’m excited at how similar my web pages (finally) look between Firefox, Safari, and IE now :)

I know this has been beaten into the ground; WHEN will there be an adequate javascript debugger for IE?  I don’t own MS Office, so I don’t have the "Microsoft Script Debugger" that comes with it.  Netscape had this back in the days of version 4.7 – is it that hard to build something in?

9. travis says:

@David Naylor

Bookmark Managers are for organizing your bookmarks.  It is just unfortunate, that when IE started in the "Browser Wars" days with Netscape, that IE decided not to use the appropriate name, and decided instead to go with "Favorites".

I can Bookmark my favorite sites,

I can Bookmark site I need, but don’t like (e.g. MSDN)

I can Bookmark things I hate, like anything "Goat Sea Related"

Now that IE is over a decade old, they don’t want to change back because so many users are used to it.

My "Favorite" organizer would be my PDA/Blackberry, but if I want something to organize my bookmarks, I look for a "Bookmark Manager".

Put it this way.  You’ve been to a million sites that say: "Bookmark this page"! with a link to do so.

Have you ever seen a site that says: "Favorite this page"

It just doesn’t have the same ring to it.

==-|-==|==-|-==|==-|-==|==-|-==

Game:

Shooting yourself in the foot.*

Score Change:

Microsoft: +1 (for not calling them bookmarks)

10. justsean says:

@TMaster

The RSS team’s publisher’s guide has a section that describes why IE7 doesn’t support DTD (Doctype declarations).

11. David Naylor says:

@Travis: I know. That’s what I meant :)

12. Tino Zijdel says:

Are there any plans on improving/simplifying the add-on model for IE? I am currently working on an editCSS feature for IE ( http://therealcrisp.xs4all.nl/blog/2007/02/06/editcss-for-internet-explorer-concept/ ), but the only way to get a handle to the opened window from an HTML-file in a sidebar seems to be by means of some kind of Shell/COM-programming which is not my kind of thing.

That together with the lack of an easy distribution and deployment method and the fact that IE add-ons require registry additions make it quite a hassle to develop and distribute add-ons.

Maybe MS could set up some small framework that would make it easier to develop and distribute HTML/script-based extensions?

13. howard says:

Just heard a scary comment from a sales/marketing group.

Apparently WebEx doesn’t work in IE7?!

Seems to me like that should have been fixed way back in mid-late 2006.

Howard

14. Aedrin says:

"If it is still broken, where is the issue? with WebEx’s software, or is this another IE7 bug?"

I’d hope that it would be WebEx who has to fix their software.

15. Jamee says:

When i close the window using explorer 7. the window does not close and stucks …It is happeneing from the day , I v downloaded explorer 7. plz help

16. hAl says:

If you make a links for developers on the add-on site then please add information on how to develop IE add-ons and provide the developers with sample code and some tooling ???

Also categorie adblock and search tools would be great.

For the ‘recommended’ box I would avise longer name space and ALT text as this looks terrible.

17. Anonymous Complainer says:

I think I need an add-on just to navigate the Windows Marketplace site. Could you cram some more tabs and links on there?

18. Some Guy says:

Man, first thing I think of when I see Gator is spyware. I guess while you average Joe isn’t going to notice it, I would imagine a big enough proportion of people will be quiet wary.

19. rolfmi says:

can someone please create a powerful delicious plugin, like it’s available for firefox

i know a lot of people who use firefox, cause no equivalent is available on IE7.

the current delicous addon is very basic.

20. hAl says:

Isn’t del.icio.us a bit over the hill by now ?

I think the IE7pro v0.9.10 addon is the most interesting plugin for IE at the moment. Combining some basic adblocking with mouse gestures and IE configuration features it makes a nice total set of features within a single simple plugin. Definitly material that the IE developers should also look at.

21. I think it is not legitimate to name a 3rd-party product after a widely recognized Mircosoft product name or to host similar products or services on sites like ie7pro.com or ie7.com. After all "Internet Explorer" is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation.

Additionally, I would not trust an add-on that conceals its true origin.

22. cj says:

pages that horizontally scroll for me are almost never visited by me again.  please don’t assume everyone has a large browser size.  looks nice, but i won’t be back.

23. Alex Bowen says:

you guys are inept – i.e is a waste of space and just to excel yourselves you come out with i.e7. its only because 90% of the world are gullible that i have to get involved with bill gates’ stinking faeces of a program. yes i am annoyed because i must waste 1 hour every day because of ie7. Needless to say there are certain browsers out there that are 1000 times more secure and reliable and i have NEVER had a problem with them  – i urge everybody to seek these out they are not hard to find…

24. TMaster says:

@ justsean

Thanks a lot for the link, now I at least know the other side of the story!

Too bad it doesn’t appear to make a full argument, however. By following two links, I found this: "It is possible for a malicious XML document that contains a DTD to cause the parser to use all memory and CPU time, causing a denial of service (DoS) attack."

Isn’t it the job of the browser (okay, parser) to make sure this doesn’t happen? To validate the input? Or, for all I care, abort parsing the DTD after five seconds? I hate to bring this into topic, but does Firefox allow feeds with DTDs? I use Thunderbird to read the KDE.org feed, and it does so without problems, even though it does contain a DTD.

I don’t know how to validate that statement, anyway – but it is a shame (only slightly, though… I think I only have one feed with a DTD).

25. Will says:

@TMaster: That’s called "the halting problem" and it’s one of the unsolved (unsolvable) problems in Computer Science.

Sure, they could code up a timeout, but wouldn’t it be more useful to simply remove the DTDs, which are never useful for RSS anyway?

26. cs says:

Hey guys, I’m installing an online banking system which runs only IE. I had IE6.0 installed but it’s getting stupid on pop up windows, the pop-up blocker cannot be disabled.

So I had to upgrade IE to 7.0 — and I don’t know what to say … you have to load 3-4 pages to be able to download it, when other browsers are just 1 click away.

I’m wasting my time posting to you, because I know this will be the last post, I hope I’ll never have to deal with your bullshit. And I have to wait minutes to download the installer on the adsl and however I’m just wasting my time.

For me MS is like your president G.W.Bush — something u can’t get rid of it and is forced to exists even when you don’t want it.

So long live MS, due to you the world is getting better, people are gathering in associations to defend themselves and they move the world away on alternative paths.

That’s all, the download is almost finished, good luck again, I had to write is to keep my soul free.

Take care, be very good guys, moderate this post directly to trash, and everybody will be happy.

Isn’t that simple? 😀

27. pirooz pakdel says:

Hi

I apologize for a likely begginer question here. But in IE 7 when i go to Tool my manage add ons is grey (meaning it is not active). I have been unable to add any addons and the IE 7 constantly bugs me with a flag telling me I have them off. The solution suggested by IE is to shut down the current IE window and reopen. I have done that a 100 times to no avail. what should i do to restore addons (or restore the normal state of things)??

thanks

28. ... says:

mmm.. nice design, I must say..

29. ... says:

L’information interessante que vous avez! I’am allant revenir bientot.