Windows Vista is Out The Door!

As you may have seen on the Windows Vista blog, we released Windows Vista to manufacturing today! Wahoo!!!

IE7 in Windows Vista is mostly the same as the IE7 for XP we released a few weeks ago (in fact, we have a single code base for both.) There are a few additional benefits in IE7 in Windows Vista that take advantage of some of the improvements in the new OS, the biggest of which is Protected Mode which allows IE to run at lower than user privilege, thereby providing an additional layer of defense against attacks. Other important differences include our integration with Windows Vista Parental Controls and improved Network Diagnostics.

It’s been a long road to get Windows Vista out the door, but I’m super proud of the result. I can’t wait to see it in stores and on new PCs on January 30, 2007.

Tony Chor
Group Program Manager

1. Amazing! It doesn’t seem like that long ago, well, you know!

I hope there’s been a little more thought given to flexibility of toolbars in Vista, as well as reverting back to the classic UI, at least for a little while. I don’t want to have to make the jump all at once.

Will there be a trial version available that runs for a limited time?

2. Tony says:

Will IE6 be available for Windows Vista?

3. cooperpx says:

@ Mr. Chor

Grats Tony & Friends. I earnestly look forward to it. I will do my bestest to keep myself from buying a Mac this xmas holiday.

Does this mean you get your home-lives back?

4. The Anarcho says:

Congratulations!

I am looking forward to getting my hands on a Vista box πŸ™‚

If only MS weren’t so interested in _rstricting_ what I do with my computer, I mean, I don’t need DRM. You guys should dorp that stuff and concentrate on just delivering what your users want.

5. Tony,

no, Vista comes with IE7.  You can, of course, run Virtual PC 2007 beta with a Windows XPSP2/IE6 virtual machine for testing.

6. TMaster says:

Congratulations, guys πŸ™‚

@The Anarcho

You’re right. I guess we could be glad Palladium ("Next-Generation Secure Computing Base") appears to have been dropped, but I’m still not glad about the direction involving DRM. In fact, solely because of DRM, I have started looking at open-source software. The way I see it, it’d be hard having a kind of DRM when you’re using only an OSS OS. Then again, Sun’s DReaM DRM project might prove to pose additional problems.

*wishfully requesting* Microsoft, please drop the DRM altogether.

To go back ontopic, how does one save a webpage when running IE7/Vista in protected mode? Do you have to unsandbox IE7 by clicking "yes" in a dialog first, the way that’s probably most secure?

7. Bernadette says:

I will probably wait a few months, at least the first quarter of 2007 while they work out the bugs of Vista.  I bet dollars to doughnuts that there will be an "update" or "security release" within a few days when a few systems around the globe crashes with this new system.  The pattern seems to be every other Windows release is messed up, 95 was ok, 98 was messed up, 2000 was all right, ME was messed up but XP turned out fine.  Not to jinx it, but Vista may come in on the doomed messed up spot.

8. D49 says:

@cwilso

Only if you are prepared to fork out for the extra windows license to be able to test a browser.

d49

9. David Wrixon says:

So is this year’s offering basically aimed at the US or is everyone going to have the benefit of this technological leap? When is this going to hit the streets of Tokyo? 2020?

10. Jon says:

Congratulations on getting Vista out the door, now you have an OS fit for 2004 πŸ˜‰

When reading reviews of IE7 such as this http://browserden.co.uk/news/a-week-with-ie7/ the main criticism is lack of customisability (the non-standard UI will be an XP complaint – I guess it’ll fit in with Vista).

The Firefox customise toolbars dialog (they copied that idea from the Mac) is the way to go. From what I see IE customisation ability severely dropped from reasonable in IE6 to almost non-existent in IE7.

I actually quite like the IE7 UI as I’m used to non standard interfaces having been exposed to a number of them… (Win 3.1, BeOS, Win95, Linux GTK, Qt, Mosaic apps, MacOS classic, Mac OSX). However it’d be a shock for those that value consistency.

So hopefully you’ve made Vistar a lot more customisable than IE under XP

11. VeyrUpset says:

DEAR Tony Chor

PLEASE

FIX FTP SUPPORT IN IE7 !!!!

IT IS SEVERELY BROKEN !!!!

12. Thinker says:

"VeyrUpset"– Maybe if you explained what problem you’re having, people here can help you?

13. luc says:

@Tony

Are you crazy? IE6 is obsolete.

@VeyrUpset

ftp works fine in IE7.

14. SP says:

I’d say congrats, as I was working at MSFT during XP SP2 release and semi know what its like, but now that vista is out the door, can you fix the fact that IE7 breaks (at least) Server 2K3.

MSHTML.DLL pulls in IEFRAME.DLL which attempts to pull in DWMAPI.DLL.  Unfortunately, only Vista systems have dwmapi.dll.

since IE7 was a "high priority" update it screwed my system.

15. Thinker says:

SM: Thousands of people run Win2k3 with IE7. I suspect there’s something else wrong with your system.  What error message did you see?

VeryUpset: Maybe if you weren’t so very upset, you might actually read?  When FTP opens in IE, right at the very top it says:

"To view this FTP site in Windows Explorer, click Page, and then click Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer."

You can see this in action at e.g. ftp://ftp.borland.com/

16. Andrew says:

Great work on IE7. I really like it. The only problem is it is virtually unusable due to a few major bugs. Scrolling performance (with smooth scrolling on)with a significant number of websites is unbareable. It is very choppy.

17. ash says:

Andrew: so what are these so-called poor performing sites? I have never seen anything close to the behaviour you are describing and suspect there’s something else wrong with your machine.

VeryUpset:  nothing you have said makes any sense.  Drop your anti-ms attitude and you might get something done.  Otherwise go use a mac

18. VeryUpset says:

I’m generally more pro MS than most hardcore MS fanboys. I can’t stand Firefox with its weird memory issues and most other OSS projects with ‘take it or shut up’ attitude.

This is not an irrational attack on MS, this is an attack on buggy IE7 release and ignorance of IE management.

Just search MS IE newsgroups for ‘ftp’ and you will find hundreds of threads talking about this particular issue, its not some obscure feature that noone cares about. This is a bug that affects huge number of users.

But when we talk about very usefull feature that gets broken,all we get is a half assed walkaround message.

19. Martin T says:

IE6 have been obsolete for a long time, but as long as so many people runs it, we have to keep suporting it -(

But 399$ seems a bit much, so I guess I will have to wait until, I get a new paying client who insist both on IE6 and IE7 support.

20. Andrew says:

@ash

I am not some anti-microsoft knob so don’t speak to me as if I am. I find it hard to understand how it can be my computer as it was working fine on IE6, minutes prior to installing IE7.

Here are some sites (wait for them to load completely):

21. Andrew says:

And make sure smooth scrolling is enabled.

22. SP says:

Now that vista is out, can you please fix the MAJOR bug that causes IE7 to kill any non vista box.

namely that IEFRAME.DLL seems to have been compiled with a call to DwmExtendFrameIntoClientArea which it says is in DWMAPI.dll except that DWMAPI.DLL is a VISTA DLL!

so any application that for whatever reason pulls that in, seems to fail.  I don’t know why IE7 doesn’t fail as well, but many applications are failing left and right due to this.

23. Windows Vista (previously codenamed Longhorn) has been released to manufacturing. It will be made available to business customers by the end of the month and to personal users by the end of January 2007.

I assume that the version available from the end..

24. Aedrin says:

"as well as reverting back to the classic UI, at least for a little while. I don’t want to have to make the jump all at once."

The UI is not that different and only takes a day or two to get used to. If everyone were to put it back then no one would get used to it. Although I do believe there is a Windows Classic theme in there, for those people not willing to try things.

25. steve_web says:

Uhm… IS THERE A CHAT today?

Did I miss it?

I thought it was always on the 2nd thursday of the month? (10am PST, 1pm EST, etc.)

26. Tony says:

"@Tony

Are you crazy? IE6 is obsolete." – luc

I prefer the classic theme myself. I don’t care about graphics as long as every menu I want to access is easy to do so. Although this a minor complaint.

However, it has been my experience through this blog, forum testimonials, and personal experience as tehnical support for a large ISP that IE6 is far more stable that IE7.

I appreciate the amount of work the IE team has put into this browser, but it certainly feels like an interim product. And the issue regarding a single windows license for IE6 and IE7 has still not been resolved.

27. Thinker says:

Tony: The idea that IE6 is more stable than IE7 is patently absurd.  They’ve fixed TONS of stability bugs.

I think it’s fair to say that there are still some, and they’re probably -different- than the ones in IE6, but there are certainly fewer.  The vast vast majority of people don’t have problems.  Reading here very much skews your view, since folks ~not~ having problems rarely bother to say that.

28. Tony says:

"The idea that IE6 is more stable than IE7 is patently absurd.  They’ve fixed TONS of stability bugs." – Thinker

Unfortunately as an ISP technical support agent every issue that I have seen involving IE7 has been resolved by uninstalling the browser. Issues vary, from ClearType, to rendering problems, to generic page cannot be displayed. Granted only 1% of the client base actually uses technical support and maybe 20% of that is browser related and the adoption of IE7 has been slower than I originally expected. But I would say 1/10 of clients are using IE7.

Of course that means that 9/10 clients are experiencing issues with IE6. The difference is 95% of issues with IE6 are resolvable. Which has not been the case with IE7, at least thus far.

29. Aedrin says:

"Issues vary, from ClearType, to rendering problems"

By the way, PEBKACs have nothing to do with browser stability.

30. Tony says:

"Why is "an ISP technical support agent" fixing those things? Aren’t you told to only fix things related to ISP problems?" – Aedrin

I do not. In cases beyond connectivity issues we attempt a best effort with the client out of courtesy. In situations beyound our demarc we refer to the Microsoft support line.

The problem here is as their ISP out clients believe inherintly that their internet works out of the box. It’s diffcult as an agent to inform a client that browser software issues are beyound out ability to resolve. And it’s unfortunate that we should need to refer to MS because it is an inconvenience to the customer now that they are experiencing problems never before seen or may have been previosuly resolved by us in IE6.

31. Loopen Sun says:

I want to know

When the official Chinese version of IE 7.0 release?

32. Chris Hester says:

"They rush release of IE7 full of critical issues,including the one i mentioned,moreover they force users to download with Auto Update."

33. dandaman32 says:

TMaster: I completely agree. No such thing as an open-source OS that is Defective by Design. I’ve decided that because of the DRM in Vista, I’m not going to buy it. Maybe, <i>maybe</i> I’ll crack beta 1, but in that case I would only use it on a virtual machine. That way it can’t fry my computer like XP’s product activation did.

Yes, XP’s product activation did fry my computer. I was messing around with XP one day and I messed with it enough to make it want to re-activate. So I called MS, and eventually managed to get someone in Redmond instead of New Delhi or whatever. He told me to shut down my computer, and I did. As soon as the computer powered off, smoke began to come out of my power supply. So I checked things out decided it wasn’t something I was going to be able to fix in 5 minutes. I ended up getting a replacement power supply, but not from Microsoft. It was a cheapo PSU from the company from which I originally bought the case. That one failed exactly a year after the other one did. So by then my warranty was expired, and I spent $90 on an Antec SmartPower 2.0. I’m avoiding Vista simply because it’s already quite expensive and I wouldn’t want to have to replace a nice PSU in addition to shelling out enough money to buy two months worth of food just for a stupid DVD and a sticker with a number on it.

Sorry for the flaming, but I think Windows has a serious problem with over-pricing. Maybe that’s how Bill Gates has a net worth of over $50 billion?

-dandaman32

34. Bert says:

@dandamna32

"Yes, XP’s product activation did fry my computer. I was messing around with XP one day and I messed with it enough to make it want to re-activate. So I called MS, and eventually managed to get someone in Redmond instead of New Delhi or whatever. He told me to shut down my computer, and I did. As soon as the computer powered off, smoke began to come out of my power supply."

Then that is simply a coindidence!  Your PSU was always going to fail, it just so happened to fail on a reboot after product activation.

Any reboot would stress your PSU (sudden draw of power from all devices), a working one would cope fine.  One with a faulty component(s) would fail….

This is the trouble for Microsoft, they’re always the ones blamed when anything goes wrong even when it’s not their software or hardware at fault.

35. Tijnemans says:

@Bert

About software, most of the time Windows runs poorly or unstable because of OTHER software, like bad drivers or Norton "software" (crashware is a better word πŸ˜‰

I have seen this on so many PC’s already…

36. luc says:

@ Martin T

Vista Home Basic $199 only

37. Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis says:

(As usual, I’ve stripped http:// from the links to bypass the IEBlog’s sluggish moderation. Apologies as ever.)

@ luc

IANAL, but I think you need to study the licence agreements for Vista more closely. You can navigate the trumphantly broken interface provided by Microsoft at:

(Earth calling web un-designers: hypertext does not require JavaScript.)

If you value your time, however, you may prefer the tinyurls sprinkled through this missive to take you straight to the licence agreements (warning: they’re all PDF).

Martin T said:

"I have thought about dooing ie6 and ie7 the other way around, with vista beeing run in a vm under my WindowsXP and linux partition."

The licence agreement for Vista Home Basic appear to explicitly prohibit the use of Vista Home Basic inside virtualization software like VMWare or Parallels (see Page 11 of tinyurl.com/ydggzg)

"USE WITH VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES. You may not use the software installed on the

licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system."

So Home Basic is not a solution for Martin T. Nor is Home Premium (RRP $239), which includes the prohibition (see Page 11 of tinyurl.com/y9h6js).

What about Vista Business edition (a casual $299)? On the upside (Page 2 of tinyurl.com/yn8caq), it allows:

"Use with Virtualization Technologies. You may use the software installed on the licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system."

What lucky fellows we would be then! On the downside, however:

"If you do so, you may not play or access content or use applications protected by any Microsoft digital, information or enterprise rights management technology or other Microsoft rights management services or use BitLocker. We advise against playing or accessing content or using applications protected by other digital, information or enterprise rights management technology or other rights management services or using full volume disk drive encryption."

So for example, if your web design or development includes content protected by Microsoft’s own DRM technologies, then Business edition can’t be used as a VMWare testing environment either.

You might think having sucked up their $399, Microsoft would spare their "Ultimate" customers from this restriction, but in fact the Vista Ultimate Edition licence includes precisely the same clause (Page 13 of tinyurl.com/yhmyjk).

38. stephencunliffegta@hotmail.com says:

More bugs found in IE7.

When you type, in a textarea, text, password or file field, that appears underneath a floating block (e.g. a div (e.g. calendars, lists, auto-complete DHTML blocks) the blinking cursor appears through the block above.

(similar to the IE6 bug with select list z-ordering)

Note that it is fine when you are selecting text, as there is no cursor.

Just thought you might want to add this to your bug list, since I can not (cough, cough, cough… (read: please bring back Feedback, or some better system))

cheers

39. Dickie says:

As long as Internet Explorer 7 is with Windows Vista, I will be buying an Apple. Internet Explorer is the browser from hell.

40. Arieta says:

>> Dickie

Enjoy all the 3 programs that exist on Macs then.

41. goose says:

GREAT NEWS!

Windows Vista will be the perfect complement to Internet Explorer 7. I think the price is terrific for so much hard work! I will not have to buy security applications now.

Splendid job, Microsoft! I will activate and register Vista as soon as I buy it. I am SO excited. We have all been waiting for the next-generation of computers, and Microsoft innovates beyond all imagination while others remain stagnant or inexplicably go broke. They go broke because nobody wants their insecure rubbish!!!

Please put me on your mailing list and I hope Vista connects to sa.windows.com just like XP does when doing a local search on my drive (to keep me safer).

All the best to you and your wonderful programmers holding our best interests at heart. My business and family wouldn’t be possible without your invention of internet and compatibility and convenience! The Blue E and Windows XP and Windows 98 and 95 made it all possible!!!!!

42. __hAl__ says:

Still no AU detected anywhere ?

43. swarf69 says:

@ Goose

Bravo, well commented!

So many people are ready to slate Microsoft. IE7, Office 2007 and Vista already surpass their predessors. I have used Vista RC1 and i’m very excited about the final release in Jan 07. The great thing about Microsoft is their ability to provide updates when a flaw is discovered.

44. Dave H says:

IE7 still renders in quirks mode if you send it XHTML containing an <?xml-stylesheet?> PI.

Example:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<?xml-stylesheet type="text/css" href="common.css"?>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN"

"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"&gt;

<html …>

Can anyone tell me if this is a known bug?

Thanks

Dave

45. Sebhelyesfarku says:

Vista? LOL Too little too late.

46. Fireman says:

IE 7? Bleh, barely any customizable features, lets one too many ads get by, and terrifically slow.

Mozilla Firefox FTW

47. GetAClue says:

"Crap. The user has to choose to download it. This has been the stated policy from Microsoft."

The New Updates Ready notification wont go away until user downloads damned IE7 or kills the service. This is what is called to force user to download IE7.

More than 99.99% of all internet users are not designers and couldnt care less about this issue.Get a clue what you are talking about.

48. Tino Zijdel says:

Dave: anything before the DTD – except the XML prologue in IE7 – will trigger quirksmode. MS should probably expand that to *all* XML PI’s or just do quirksmode switching only based on DTD and nothing else like any other sane browser.

Another funny thing in IE is how standards compliant mode is triggered when an HTML-DTD doesn’t have a valid URI in the system identifier but does contain http:// somewhere – IE just seems to check if the system identifier is present and contains http:// but doesn’t do a real URI-check:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"

"This will trigger standards compliants mode simple because I put http:// in here">

49. =jon= says:

Why *:last-child doesn’t work on ie7?

Why a.myclass:focus doesn’t work on ie7?

50. Dave H says:

@Tino

Yes, I agree.  I think it should do quirks mode switching based just on DOCTYPE when sent with the text/html media type.  Additionally with application/xml, text/xml and application/xhtml+xml contents it should *always* render in standards mode, irrespective of what the DOCTYPE is, or even if there is no DOCTYPE at all.

51. Adam says:

OS: XP SP2

Ok I’m downloading WMP 11 24.5mb on dial-up using IE 7 while browsing the internet i notice that IE 7  will fail to display webpage here’s the message: internet Explorer cannot display webpage. Every time this happen when i download large files on the internet. With IE 6 i don’t have this problem at all. Please test IE 7 on dial-up.

52. Rob Henry says:

And another buggy, half-baked,  full of features no one wants but a program manager needed to keep her job so she just did "something" and put in a "cool" feature, piece of software from Microsoft.

IE 7 is garbage. Who in their right mind decided to place the stop button to the far right while placing the back and forward buttons to the far left?? Hit back, decide to stop, must move mouse to the far right to find the stop button.

Hint: Dear Microsoft, we have wide screen LCD monitors now. They are WIDE. Moving back and forth is annoying and stupid!

53. Rob Henry says:

P.S. The only reason IE 7 is downloaded by 3m people is that it is part of the automatic update system. It also nags the Hell out of the user if they don’t.

54. Larry says:

Is the button element fix on course for IE8? I really, really want to use this element, but it is still broken in IE7 even though many said it was going to be fixed.

Right now it can’t be used because it sends garbage to the server when the form is submitted.

Larry

55. Arieta says:

>>Crap. Designers have been crying out for PNG support for years. Not many people have used PNGs so far purely because they have never worked properly in IE. Even now PNG use will be low due to the necessity for continued support for people still using IE6.

>>Designers could just use transparent gifs,in any case this is a problem that has a solution.

Of course, you are joking, are you?

Transparency wise, PNG is ifinitely superior to GIF, since it supports 24 bit transparencies, partial transparencies, and so on.

In fact, GIF as a file format is almost completely useless because it is limited by a 256 color palette. The only use for GIF is animation, and even that will only be useful till MNG gets wider adoptation.

56. Dean,

OT but…

In <a href="http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=203084&threshold=3&commentsort=0&mode=thread&cid=16612664">this</a&gt; slashdot article, you made a <a href="http://slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=203084&cid=16616248"promise</a&gt; to look into improving life for web developers and testing sites against past, present and future versions of ie. You were going to blog on this within the week.

This might have been related to ACT, but having downloaded and read part of that paper, that actually just deals with future rather than present and past.

57. Hunter says:

Does IE 7 support display:table and its kin, NO.

try it for yourself in the playground area here http://www.quirksmode.org/css/display.html

58. Tino Zijdel says:

@Dave H:

"Additionally with application/xml, text/xml and application/xhtml+xml contents it should *always* render in standards mode, irrespective of what the DOCTYPE is, or even if there is no DOCTYPE at all."

Indeed, xml-applications should always be rendered in standards mode – I believe that is even prescribed by the specifications and MS should take that at heart when they built in XHTML support, whenever that may be…

59. Alex says:

Well, for me Windows Vista will continue staying out the door!

If it is like IE 7, it will be only a useless and bugged software! I don’t like DRM, I don’t like Vista hardware requirements, I don’t like to pay so much for an OS that will be surely bugged like Windows XP. XP is the worst Microsoft OS because of all its critical bugs (5 years have passed, but new critical bugs are discovered every month).

Just one more thing…Thanks to IE team and Microsoft for IE 7…I have spent 4 hours to solve a bug with margin and padding of 2 unordered lists inside 2 boxes. This bug is present in IE 6 too, but all other browser do not have any problem. I had to declare the first "ul" element display: inline and float: left to avoid IE 6 and IE 7 render the padding-bottom of the box containing the unordered list greater than the padding I have declared (the "ul" and "li" elements do not have any padding or margin)! I am thinking seriously to send Microsoft my bill for all the time I always spend to adjust my sites CSS just for IE!

For me, IE does not exist as a browser, but only as a "testing application".

60. =jon= says:

It’s a "pitfall" this ie7 release!

IE7 keeps old behaviors!! WHY!! WHY!!

Developers are tired to fight with these release!!

You know?

YOU MUST ALIGN IE7 NOW!!!

See like IE7 browsing the site http://applick.com… PNG are rendering in different mode by GIF… Are you crazies?!

I don’t understand really because you do not want to write a simple code like firefox!!!

61. Chris Hester says:

Sorry I see I was wrong about downloading IE7. I thought the user would click "No" once and that was that. If Microsoft keep nagging people to download it when they don’t want to, then that is bad.

@Goose, please. No-one can be that pro-MS. Your posts come across as the work of a troll having a laugh. Ironically some of what you say is true. Whilst some ("Microsoft innovates beyond all imagination") is doubtful. You’re not fooling everyone.

BTW, Microsoft didn’t invent the internet! And without competition, we wouldn’t have had IE7, would we?

62. James says:

IE7 ate my dog and then set fire to my girlfriend.

When is Microsoft going to do something about that ??

63. Iana says:

is it possible to see how it looks in fact…something like demo or trial…

64. Phil Rigby says:

@Chris Hester:-"People couldnt care less about famous transparent png support,nobody really needs it,its just a political issue, so they made sure it gets fixed."

"Crap. Designers have been crying out for PNG support for years. Not many people have used PNGs so far purely because they have never worked properly in IE. Even now PNG use will be low due to the necessity for continued support for people still using IE6."

Crap back at you.  I couldn’t give a damn about transparent PNG.  Most people couldn’t, only designers who want to bloat pages more and more so you HAVE to have ultra-high speed DSL to make page downloading happen in a sensible amount of time.  Who cares about transparent PNGs?  Developers, and that’s all.

And to every one else – I like Vista UI and IE 7 works great for me.

65. raeis says:

Vista is not compatible with some programs

i.e Photoshop

66. cdirty says:

Firefox is so much better!!!  They don’t need forums for everyone to list their problems

67. Thomas Christiansen says:

I have a problem with feeds in ie7 with vista.

I have imported my feeds from ie7-xp. I can see the feed names, but when i click on one of them i get "Internet Explorer cannot display this feed". It works fine in Outlook 2007.

Anyone know of this problem?

68. publicgk says:

Just a very basic question regarding IE7 add on development. Can we (i guess we can) create IE addons in .net (C# or VB.net). If yes, can we use .Net Framework 3.0 for this purpose. I hope this should work for client machines having vista on them, but not sure whether it will work for client machines having IE7 on Windows XP (or Win XP SP2)?

69. Thomas Christiansen says:

I found out what was wrong. I had moved the location of my favorites folder. Rss-feeds apparently don’t work if you do that. Probably a bug.

70. Dan says:

I have been using IE7 on XP, and have been hit by the ‘missing DWMAPI.dll’ bug as well. Has there been anything done to address the fact that this file has become a dependency for many other DLLs, but it is missing unless you are running Vista?????

Dan

71. Thomas Christiansen says:

It seems that if i run ie as administrator, then my feeds work without problems.

72. JimH says:

Cool, (maybe not) I just spent 24 hours trying to get internet connect speeds across my network above 1.0k/s with Vista RC2 (XP and Win 98 do 300 – 600 k/s to the same sites – such as ms update!)

It was so slow, I couldn’t even get updates to see if they fixed it, the runonce msn site doesn’t load (enforced first page), you can’t even browse to support pages

Lots of people are suffering the same, in fact anyone with a hardware firewall it seems, so the business market would seem to be out of the frame completely

Hope that no-one is planning an easy switch over once they have parted with their hard earned cash