Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.0 Release Candidate Now Available for Download

I previously blogged about the availability of the Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.0, a tool that can help you find potential compatibility issues, particularly for corporate IE departments. Since distribution of the beta download ended in October, I am excited to announce that the release candidate of ACT 5.0 is now available to download and can be used on XPSP2 with IE7 to help you find compatibility issues. You can find more about ACT 5.0 by visiting here. In addition to ACT 5.0, the IE7 Readiness Toolkit has more information, documentation and tools to help identify and resolve compatibility issues.

Thanks,

Tariq Sharif
Program Manager

1. Adam Koehler says:

There are still unanswered questions in the last blog.  Trying to push it down as soon as possible?

2. AC says:

@Adam Koehler

This is a separate topic. It doesn’t matter how important that subject is, this is entirely different. Stay on topic.

3. Mark M says:

4. Dean Harding says:

Adam: Because you’re a ranting loony?

You can download Japanese IE TODAY if you want. It’s right there, on the download page.

5. Aedrin says:

"I am still waiting for Microsoft to tell me how I can run IE6 & IE7 side by side for website development testing without having to fork out for a windows license to test a browser."

There is none. They have already told you that. And no matter how much you whine, they will not give you a free license.

6. Get A Clue says:

If you were a real developer you would have an MSDN subscription or any of one of umpteen other subscriptions that give you legal access to tons of sotware and licenses for a very low nominal fee.

7. d49 says:

You assume I use Microsoft products to develop with and I do not and guess what I am still a "real" developer. I use a combination of Dreamweaver  and Eclipse for java and php development.

8. Jason says:

We want to rid our code of the proprietary hacks, but finding out which ones can safely go, is not easy.

Is there a roadmap for IE8? Now that IE7 is behind us, we want to move fast to get all the bugs fixed for IE8.

There’s rumor of an early October 2007 release date for the final RC of IE8, any truth to this?  I certainly hope so, I can’t wait until IE can compete against Safari, Firefox and Opera on a standards basis.

9. goose says:

Mark M:

plenty of second-hand PCs and software out there at throwaway prices. Perfect for testing the most modern, open, standards-compliant, cross-platform browser on earth!

Ignore it at your peril!

Thank you Tariq Sharif, for this readiness tool. IE7 came out so fast! It took me by surprise with all its features!!! WAY above the competition. I will use this tool to make sure I am ready for the future of the interweb! Thank you for kindly offering this to Genuine Windows customers like myself. Others really do not deserve such a great tool from your great company!!

10. stephencunliffegta@hotmail.com says:

Ok, I just don’t get this one at all.

On a default install of IE7 (well, any IE) the links toolbar is populated with links that no one wants (that’s fine, whatever…)

If I right-click on "Customize Links" and choose delete, Windows stalls literally for 10 full seconds, while deleting the shortcut url.

What !@#$? logic is it running behind the scenes that takes that long to delete a link?

If I went into my file system, to delete a text file, it would happen in milliseconds… Why does deleting some bookmarks take F-O-R-E-V-E-R-!

I must confess, I love bookmarks/favorites, and have hundreds saved in my other browser, but in IE, I have only 5-10…  I have to wonder if subconciously I know that favorites are awkward to deal with, and thus I don’t use them?

Any explanation as to why they are soooo slooow to remove?

Any chance this code will be fixed in a later patch for IE7?

thanks,

steve

11. Tony says:

There is something wrong here not only takes forever to delete bookmarks but sometimes IE7 freezes when jumping from tab to tab. I tried to install IE7 on a "virgin" laptop dual core 2 GB of mem and I am still getting the same results.

Thanks….

12. Aedrin says:

"I use a combination of Dreamweaver"

A real developer wouldn’t use Dreamweaver.

"Is there a toolkit to see what CSS/JS hacks should be modified to work with IE7?"

Yes, it is called the Delete button.

There is no need for hacks in any webpage. Except  maybe for beginner copy & paste designers.

13. Tony says:

14. There are tons of WYSIWYG HTML software that is better than Dreamweaver. Check for TopStyle Pro, Exspression Web Designer Beta1, etc. Hell even FrontPage 2003 does it better!

15. Aedrin says:

"@Aedrin You sound like one of my professors…He hated if you write code other than notepad…"

Most websites created by Dreamweaver and other WYSIWYG editors have such horrible source code that it is amazing they work.

16. A User says:

We are all used to the lack of backward compatibility. After all, it’s not like the mission is to support whatever already happens to be out there on the web and working just fine, thank you.

But I think this is really funny, and I am laughing out loud over here because the new explorer is already released, and automatically coerced, while the compatibility tool is still a candidate not ready for prime time. No wonder software and service providers are telling me they do not support the up-(de-)grade. How could they?

I can laugh because I have a proactive IT department blocking the update. Otherwise my business would be feeling a world of hurt.

17. Aedrin says:

"I am laughing out loud over here because the new explorer is already released, and automatically coerced, while the compatibility tool is still a candidate not ready for prime time."

You are implying the new version of the ACT is specifically made for IE7.

18. d49 says:

"@Aedrin Most websites created by Dreamweaver and other WYSIWYG editors have such horrible source code that it is amazing they work"

This is getting way off topic so I will comment no further

19. Aedrin says:

"If you actually used the program you might actually know something about it instead of making inane comments."

I’ve used them and I can safely say their output is dirty and getting closer to FrontPage every time you use it on a page (old FrontPage, I haven’t used the latest of FrontPage).

20. no comments as of now<b>bye</b>