Meet Some of the IE7 Team

Last week Channel 9, with camera in tow, paid a visit to the IE Team. In the first video I talk far too long at the start before we walk the hallways and meet a few members of the team. In the second video we chat with Max Stevens on user experience. The third video is with the RSS team where we discuss the new RSS support in IE7. In the final video we meet Eric Lawrence and Katya Sedova and discuss networking. As you can tell from the videos we had a lot of fun doing them and hope to have the Channel 9 camera over again in the future to discuss the next version of IE.

Dave Massy
Senior Program Manager

1. John says:

Is IE still based on Spyware or Mosaic?

2. Fduch says:

It’s not based on Mosaic nowadays.

And as far as I know it was never based on Spyware.

3. Dave Massy says:

I’m not sure there is any of the old spyglass code left anyware in the product. In IE4 the HTML rendering engine was replaced by a completely new engine (Trident) which has since been subject to much arhcitectural change and development. We’ve moved on a long way since then 🙂

4. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

As I understand it, there is no Spyglass code in the IE7 product. The vast majority of it was obsolete and removed in prior releases and the last vestiges went away for IE7.

5. ADAXL says:

A question on nomenclature. What’s the official full name of IE7? "Microsoft Internet Explorer" or "Windows Internet Explorer"? The title bar suggests the latter.

PS: I posted ths question before, but that was in a thread with 70-odd pstings, so people probably didn’t see it.

6. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@ADAXL: The official name is shown in the About box: Windows Internet Explorer 7

7. Ewan says:

Hi there, I just wanted to share my comments on IE 7 via my blog The review can be found here:

8. Amsterdam Martin says:

Congrats with the final version. You can see that the people who worked on it wanted to deliver a first class product. I have used Firefox for the last 2 years exclusively, but I want to give the new IE a fair chance, so I will not complain about the different user experience, probably something you get used to (although for now I really don’t like the different position of the stop/refresh button, but maybe it will grow on me).

Two things that I do complain about and are the reason I won’t switch are:

2) Live bookmarks, why didn’t you copy those from Firefox? It is my main interface for browsing the web and watching news. It’s so much better than opening a side panel and after clicking a title going to a page with the feeds that are much to verbose, so a few items already make it necessary to scroll.

All other experiences where mostly positive, but those two are the reasson I won’t switch. I guess the speed issue will get fixed, but is this the most we can expect from RSS feeds in IE? Or are there plans to make it better?

9. hapbt says:

10. Aedrin says:

"1) Speed, especially AJAXy websites, but also normal websites. It takes a long time to see a page, much much longer than Firefox"

Try Opera for page displaying.

11. Aedrin says:

"The comments on slashdot are rendered incorrectly in IE7 🙂  Conspiracy theories anyone???"

Or just plain inadequacy?

Line 1687 column 6: end tag for "DIV" omitted, but its declaration does not permit this.

12. david says:

why had a download manager not been included

13. hAl says:

Nice work on the tin foil in Katya office guys. The payback threat sounded ominous though so I suggest you guys do not go on holidays anymore (ever) !!

14. Xepol says:

I would like to congratulate the team on the good work in IE7 itself – the quality of the install process which drives me to rant psychotic about the install process itself not-withstanding.

I was pretty, uh, "rude" I suppose about the whole install process and I just want to make sure that the whole team understands that it is the install process itself that drives me mental, not the product itself once installed – I have loved IE7 since the very first beta, and I found the process (excluding the install, of course) of its development to be very fulfilling.

I WILL be installing IE7 on the other machines on my network (and grinding my teeth the whole time) – the fact that I will go through an install process that bad to get to the product should say something about IE7 itself.

Remember, IE7 is great, but people have to get through the install process first to get to it….

15. Wild Ted says:

All good stuff, but I don’t see any captions with the video. This is a really basic accessibility issue and not that difficult to do.

16. John says:

I’m wondering why, since for probably tens of thousands of people the RC1 release broke the ability to change icons on desktop URL shortcuts, that wasn’t fixed in the Final Release?

Did you all think that wasn’t important enough? Or that we all wanted that generic e on our desktop instead of what we’d put there ourselves?

17. Black Dove says:

why IE7 dosent work with outlook

when i setup ie7 any ver. beginning after beta 1 and also the final i cant use outlook with my hotmail account and it keep asking me for pass and never log in !!!!!

what can i do ?

18. Mister McDugal says:

IE7 is decent; nothing to write home about really. The interface is not very configurable, and feels like opera almost. The Internet Options haven’t changed much either.

I was very happy with IE3 back in the day, it felt like a more complete product. I feel disappointed in IE7. Maybe they’ll get it right again with IE8 in another 7 years.

19. fums says:

i used windows 98se/2000 with SP4 + RollUp/XP with SP2/Vista RC2, used ie 4/5/5.5/6/7 and they all SUCKED

that’s way i switch to gentoo linux

main reasons are that it’s faster (on amd x2 dual core 4800+ and windows is still slow :S and yes i used an anti-virus/firewall/and other anti-crap, i think norton it was), i only install the apps i want (not like windows where you are forced to use crappy app like ie and outlook), and most of all it just works (no blue screens of death or slowdowns after leaving comp on for  7 days)

also less security risks

20. mark says:

As a developer I applaud your advancements toward css compliance.  As a UI person I’ve got to ask, "Are you kidding?"  Why did you give up positionable menu bars?  And why do I have to be on a page with an RSS feed to see the RSS tab light up?  An RSS tab should be able to stay visible and notify the user if a new item is available.  And what’s up with the RSS reader format? It is so unusable you might as well have left it out.  Font sizes too large, spread across the whole page…  I secretly believe you want this version to fail so you can get out of the browser business because it makes you no money.  Good luck!

21. John says:

IE7 is the best browser ever made!!!  And, yes I am just kidding…