Be Ready for Automatic Update Distribution of IE7 by November 1

Now that IE7 has released, I want to remind everyone about the plan we announced back in July to distribute IE7 via Automatic Updates (AU) and point you to the readiness materials we’ve created.

To help you become more secure and up-to-date, we will distribute IE7 via Automatic Updates as a high-priority update. We will start very soon with those of you who are already running IE7 pre-releases and then move onto IE6 users after a few weeks. We will progressively roll out to all IE6 users over a few months, so don’t be surprised if you don’t see the update right away. (Of course, users who can’t wait that long can download IE7 from http://www.microsoft.com/ie.)

Of course we want to make sure you are ready to upgrade, so AU will notify you when IE7 is ready to install by presenting a welcome screen. You can choose whether or not to install it; IE7 will not install without your consent.

I also want to remind you that IE7 setup will preserve your current toolbars, home page, search settings, and favorites and will not change your choice of default browser. You will also be able to roll back to IE6 by using Add/Remove Programs. Only a user who is a local administrator will be offered the update. You can find more details and screenshots here.

Organizations using Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) and System Management Server (SMS) can manage the IE7 deployment like they do other updates. The IE7 package will be classified as an Update Roll-up and must be approved to install on designated groups of Windows XP and Server 2003 clients.

Organizations that use AU to keep their computers up-to-date can use a free Blocker Toolkit to block automatic delivery of IE7. This blocker has no expiration date; you can find more information in the blocker FAQ. I also recommend you review the additional information for IT administrators at the Windows Update/Microsoft Update site on TechNet. Organizations that want to block the distribution of IE7 through AU should have their blocking measures in place by November 1, 2006.

Tony Chor
Group Program Manager

1. Steve says:

who wants to place bets, that this Auto Update, will "accidentally" be released, to set itself as the default browser?

I got $5 says it happens.

2. Danny B says:

For those of us using the IEAK Customization kit, you guys are yet to give us the new version. MS Server still has RC1 on it!

3. Michael says:

After installation, an immediate crash.  Odd, since Beta 2 worked fine.  I get:

Unhandled exception at 0x02526669 in iexplore.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x00000028.

In the disassembly:

02526669  mov         eax,dword ptr [edi]

Stepping over simply loops back to this instruction, and the repeat exception.

This happens after the browser is loaded, and attempts to navigate to the runonce.msn.com URL.  Running Windows XP SP2, updating from IE6.

And Steve, you owe me $5.

4. Michael says:

Update: Hitting Esc immediately to prevent navigation to the Microsoft URL allows it to load.  I seem to be able to navigate fine now.  Think I’ll avoid the "thank you for installing IE page."

5. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@Michael: This crash sounds like it may be caused by a buggy plugin.  Try the troubleshooting steps at http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp

6. yaser says:

the ie first run page not only fails to load, but also causes the browser to crash. all other sites work fine.

7. LJ says:

Any chance you folks will fix the tab-related bug that causes IE to crash? Been there awhile now.

1. Open IE.

2. Open new tab (so you have two tabs open).

3. Close FIRST tab.

4. Try to open a new one.

5. Watch IE crash.

8. yuzyu says:

@Steve

Who wants to bet that it will download and say it’s going to be installed even with Automatic Updates turned off?

9. With Microsoft’s release of Internet Explorer 7 yesterday some problems were inevitable and Barron’s Eric Savitz reports that Reuters has grabbed first dibs on the application incompatibility category: Reuters yesterday e-mailed a rather ..

10. swright says:

After installation IE redirected to http://runonce.msn.com/runonce2.aspx every time it loaded, then displayed a 404 error as this page will not load. I found posts relative to this same issue in the beta but the solution (registry key RunOnceHasShown) did not correct the problem. Adding another key (RunOnceComplete dword 1) corrected the problem and IE now loads my home page as expected. Note that BOTH keys have to be in the registry – deleting either key causes the symptom to return.

11. Ian Easson says:

To LJ: works fine here.  Must be something in your setup, like a bad add-on.  Try running IE in "no add-ons" mode.

12. Steve says:

@Michael

I don’t owe you $5 yet, because they haven’t released the AU of IE7 to the masses yet.

Once they do, we can re-visit… but if you want my $5, you gotta anti-in!

13. @Steve says:

Will the autoupdate work under non legal copie of windows?

14. @swright says:

what’s the exact procedure to rectify ie7’s failure to load the runonce page? one wonders if this was an issue in the beta version, why was it not corrected?

15. Michael says:

Nope, still mixed results.  It crashes with add-ons disabled, and once I was able to get it to run, I disabled all other add-ons, restarted, and still is crashing when trying to redirect.  Cancelling navigation sometimes work, sometimes not.  It crashed while viewing the enhanceIE page as well.

16. Late yesterday afternoon, Microsoft released the final version of Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP….

17. Michael W says:

If you try to restore back to ie6 for any reason . you will lose some of you windows system system sounds . To get them all back you have to reinstall the bugged up verion of ie7 just to get your ie 7 sounds back . Your other system soubnds are not effeted. But ya this is a bug and need to be fixed .before movember 1

18. Gary says:

Why are the download links for IE7 all broken? Please don’t tell me to delete my temp files and refresh the page. Even though this is my first visit to the page, yes, I have tried those two things already.

Also, why is it redirecting me to this URL?

19. Gary says:

Another thing. I am very concerned this is being released as a high priority update. This is a major version release of software with many new features.  New features means new bugs. That’s the way software works.

There are also breaking changes for sites which render fine on IE6. There are going to be some angry users in November who realize they can’t view certain sites or run certain software anymore, but felt the update was necessary since it was picked up by Automatic Updates.

20. Lee Lannert says:

Don’t be so quick to release that product.  I had been using RC1 just fine and installed the released version this morning and it has totally hosed my machine.  I cannot get into the browser, Control Panel or any system tools.  The more I try, the more problems develop.

21. swright says:

The following 2 registry entries stopped IE7 from attempting to redirect to  http://runonce.msn.com/runonce2.aspx.

Create (or update)these DWORD values in HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMain

RunOnceHasShown

RunOnceComplete

Set the value for each of these to 1

22. Rafael says:

Hi guys.

Well one bug.. While upgrading from 6 to 7 some how the IE lost my today history. All the rest is fine.

Rafael.

23. KMehling says:

swright – thank you for that post, I too have been struggling (as have several of my coworkers) with the startup bug trying to load http://runonce.msn.com/runonce2.aspx with no success

I had in place the RunOnceHasShown to 1, no worky.  Added RunOnceComplete set it to 1 and now all is well.

Nice "feature" – this is a product ready for the masses for sure!

24. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@LJ/Michael: Do you have an older version of Google Desktop Search installed?  Older versions are known to cause problems with IE, even with Addons disabled.

@All: The RunOnce page is currently under extremely heavy load (due to massive downloads of IE7) and we’re adding servers as fast as possible.  Sorry for the inconvenience!

25. Treehopper says:

Just installed IE7 and it removed me as an administrator of my own machine! Even though I was still logged in, I couldn’t do any administrative task (like turn my Antivirus back on) because it said I didn’t have admin rights. Sure enough, when I logged in with a backup Admin account (thankfully I had one of these dangling around) and my normal admin account was gone- erased, obliterated!

If I hadn’t had the backup Admin account, I wouldn’t have been able to get in to the Users control panel and add my profile back in to the users and Restore back to a restore point.

I am scared of what it’s going to do for the masses!

26. wstinnett says:

I did the Registry additions an have started having another problem.  The registry additions did indeed correct the problem of the Runonce page but now when I try to close IE a blank page comes up and the Browser crashes. Has anyone had this issue where the browser will not close when you click the X but it crashes and you have to click through the "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close." box?

27. Scott Jones says:

My DVD Roxio drag-to-disk doesn’t function anymore since IE7. This probably has something to with the Malcontent, but whatever it is, it is unacceptable.

28. Steven Jones says:

@Steve: no it wont install if your copy if Windows is not "genuine", as in not lergit.

Warez monkeys do not deserve anythng if they steal imo.

29. Thomas Freudenberg says:

The setup DID register IE as the default browser on my machine (formerly Firefox). Also it reverted the webpage font to Times New Roman, which was Calibri beforehand.

30. I want to get ready, but i can’t – i am web developer so i need to keep my ie6. I would like to use IE 7 as standalone application to be able to test webs in both, but it is quite impossible to do it

31. rmurdoch says:

Instructions here:

, I just did it with no trouble.

32. Ian Thomas says:

It certainly needs it!

Printing is diabolical. What’s wrong with you people – releasing a product that doesn’t do the print rendering at all well? Consider this (I have been evaluating the XML Paper Specification writer and reader):

This is a definitely problem with IE7’s spooling to printers, and to XPS and to PDF.

I have IE7 v7.0.5730.11 installed.

A website http://www.morfik.com/ was built with its own technology, which uses AJAX – which in itself that should mean nothing significant.

The webpage has 3 tabs and it is peculiar that printing to paper, to XPS, and to PDF via IE7 (RTM) when ‘live’-connected to that website gives 2 blank pages and the footer info, from the first tab (MORFIK.COM). There is one Flash image there, but plenty of text and normal images.

I’m sorry to say (because I would much prefer to use IE7, for its other features) that Firefox 1.5.07 prints perfectly to my low-end Samsung ML-2010 laser printer, to XPS, and to PDF (the latter using a non-Adobe product called pdfMachine from Broadgun Software).

Let’s have some effort into the printing functions, Team.

33. Ian Thomas says:

I had IE7 RC1 installed, downloaded the IE7 RTM and proceeded to install ignoring the warnings to disable anti-virus / anti-spam etc tools.

This is a big mistake.

Although previous betas 1,2,3 and RC1 installed without problems (ie, I didn’t disable anything, and just installed the newer releaase w/o uninstalling – as far as i can recall), the RTM choked.

IE7 RC1 was uninstalled (leaving me with IE6, as it happens), I rebooted, Windows Update wanted to do 2 patches to my OS (XP SP2), and at that point both IE6 and the Updater froze – to the extent that I had to do a hardware reset.

On disabling Ad-Watch (from Lavasoft) and re-installing IE7 RTM from the executable, things happened without any drama at all – and I disconnected the machine from the LAN/internet while doing this. The Windows Update patches were done without incident on reconnection to the web.

34. Bigblu says:

I was excited about this release until I installed it. I like most of the features they TRIED to add in but they broke the one that has kept me using IE forever, the ability to use custom icons on favorites links. The developers don’t give a hoot about this bug and from what I have read a few others. This release is no better than RC1. I’m safe because I don’t use auto updates but I bet you’re gonna have a lot of unhappy people once you start pushing this on them.

35. Ian Thomas says:

As a prelude, I should say that I participated in the feedback for Beta2 and 3 and sort of gave up posting my problems with RC1 because several problems just didn’t get fixed.

In fact, at Beta3 level the Microsoft feedback team had the gall to say "use the next beat – this one’s finished" without resolving the problem!

In IE6, I could save pages to ‘Complete’ HTML disk files – most times (some websites / pages just pop up a warning, requiring me to use Firefox and save them with that). Also, in IE6, I could save as MHTML format.

In all versions of IE7 including the RTM I have a 20-30% failure (I’m serious – it is BAD) to save the page at all – the IE instance just stalls, and in order to ‘free’ it I typically need to start a hyperlink to any webpage (from a link in an email, a desktop shortcut, whatebver). That can be for 1-tab or multi-tabbed IE7 instances.

When this happens, I start up another instance of IE7 and save the page from that; or, sometimes refreshing the page is enough; or, I lose patience and use Firefox 1.5.0.7 – though Firefox doesn’t give me a page title at all (just the server filename).

I’m using a fast enough PC with Windows XP SP2 and every patch, plenty of disk saoce and fast SATA disk – and since Firefox 100% of the time saves pages to disk, I think it’s a problem at the IE7 end. And, it was not a problem with IE6.

I say Come on 1 November – but will this set of problems get some attention?

36. Ian Thomas says:

This was a problem with the betas and RC1 (I haven’t tested the situation yet with RTM but it’s my guess that it’s unchanged from months ago).

Browse, save the page as MHTML format.

Quit IE7, attempt to open the MHTML file from disk (Windows Explorer). Or, open a blank page instance of IE7, Browse for files, attempt to do the same.

Some saved MHTML files just won’t open. And it does appear that some pages at some websites – which inlcudes specific pages as the Code Project – have this problem.

I reported this is some detail via the feedback site, for a couple of the betas and for RC1. Nothing was done to fix the problem.

I reckon this is a half-baked product.

37. Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis says:

@Ian Thomas: The markup of http://www.morfik.com is invalid (12 errors in the W3C Validator). No specification defines how browsers should render invalid markup; see for example:

http://www.morfik.com has an XHTML doctype, but it served as text/html. No specification defines how browsers should render XHTML served as text/html; see for example:

It is true that RFC 2854 states: "Due to the long and distributed development of HTML, current practice on the Internet includes a wide variety of HTML variants. Implementors of text/html interpreters must be prepared to be ‘bug-compatible’ with popular browsers in order to work with many HTML documents available the Internet." However, increased use of CSS and JS has radically increased the complexity of non-standard websites since that RFC was promulgated in 2000.

As a result you can /hope/ that a browser might be able to render a complex non-conforming site like http://www.morfik.com, but you cannot reasonably /expect/ it. It’s fortunate for you that Firefox is able to work around the bugs in that particular website. But short of just ditching Trident and adopting Gecko, Microsoft would struggle to replicate Firefox’s error handling. And even then of course there might be non-standard websites that Safari or Konqueror or Opera can handle, but not IE or Firefox.

So the real question is: have you experienced any printing problems in IE7 with pages that /do/ conform to the relevant specifications, especially those from the W3C, IETF, and ECMA?

(Hint to the IE Team for the next version: put an icon in the status bar to indicate when content is invalid – something like http://users.skynet.be/mgueury/mozilla/ – and people will have less cause to blame you folks for web developers’ errors.)

38. I'm sorry but is this a joke? says:

I had "pleasure" to install IE7 on my PC (XP SP2) at work.

Jaysus… 2 hours and I had like 6-7 crashes. It freezes even when it’s in the background and I use some other apps. Coming back to IE7 window results in "no response from the application" message and I have to kill it. It’s slow as hell.

I do appreciate all the CSS handling improvements but the stability is a major problem. It behaves like an early beta, not an official release.

39. art says:

Warez monkeys do not deserve anythng if they steal imo.

Unfortunately there are a high percentage of people using illegal Windows – While this is very naughty of course, it does mean that your webstats will still heavily feature IE6 for longer than they should. Ultimately that means that as developers we will have to continue to support it long after it’s natural lifespan has ended.

40. Guys, what gives? I’m pretty sure it aint Nov 1 yet, and I’m being prompted to install IE7 via Windows Update already. Congrats on the early release and the hard work that went into fixing all the CSS bugs and the new features and all that, but why tell everyone they have til Nov 1 and then surprise them with it 12 days early?

41. Richard says:

IE7 setup didn’t manage to change my default browser away from FireFox. However, it added some IE-specific ddeexec registry keys to HKCRHTTP and HKCRHTTPS, which meant that every email link, Internet shortcut and URL typed in the run box displayed an error message. Deleting the keys seems to have fixed the problem.

42. Tim Long says:

In my WSUS, the updates are showing up as "Expired" and cannot be approved for installation. Huh?

43. Jason says:

While MS has done a great job allowing those that do not want the update to opt-out, I have not been able to find out how to FORCE it to install with WSUS.  Will end users have the option of saying no?  When I decide to deploy it, I want it to install without asking.

As for those of you crying about "Why are you releasing it as a critical update???", you NEED TO LEARN HOW TO USE WSUS.  If you set your computers to just talk to Windows Update and auto-install, you are saying "I want to install whatever Microsoft tells me to right away."  If you really dont’ mean that, then put in WSUS for FREE and decide for yourself what you want to install.

MS should never had to make the "IE Blocker Tool".  That is a cover for lazy network admins.

44. Standalone IE6 and older IE’s too:

I got fed up waiting for MS’s official way so I googled up and found an easy solution.

this worked for me like a charm:

1) download and install IE7

2) http://tredosoft.com/Multiple_IE

Just run the installer and choose the versions you like. I took IE6 and now i’m running 6 & 7 with no problems. I actually thought this would give me a headache — a nice surprise everything went so well. Yeah, it’s a third party solution. Maybe that’s the reason. ;)

Glad I updated, just found out my dropdown menu  doesn’t work at all with IE7..

about the browser: feels nice and quick but renders everything a bit blurry which is really bugging me. It’s like having a bad vision trying to read the text. Well, fortunately we have Firefox.

45. Richard Ishida says:

Will there be an official way to run both IE7 and IE6 side by side?  I need to test whether my XHTML pages work on both, using the same computer.

46. Jason says:

Make sure you are NOT using Cleartype.  All it does is make your fonts look blurry, at least to me it does.  I’m not sure what Cleartype is supposed to fix, because it seems to do the opposite.

47. @Jason

Yeah, I took that away. It’s freaky how they name it cleartype even though the thing it does is absolutely the opposite. Still, the pages look blurry to me. Go ahead and compare with different browsers.

@Richard Ishida

I recommend to try out the link I provided in the previous comment. At least it worked for me. I (and many more people) have been asking IE Team to provide us with a standalone solution. It seems they’re not going to do that. Or it’s going to take way too long. 1st of Nov comes soon.

It also seems IE7 isn’t interested in working that well in quirks mode. I had set IE to quirks for working around IE6 bugs.

IE7 still has the same old search function (ctrl-f). That’s just very lame. Take a look at  how it’s done in Firefox. And learn.

48. Michael says:

@EricLaw: Yes, I re-downloaded the latest version of Google Desktop.  Still crashing.  Is it an issue with just having GD installed, or running at the same time?

Detailed my steps attempting to fix it: http://verbose.pixelbath.com/?p=47

49. . says:

its already in my automatic updates… =P

50. . says:

also:

@Jason: Cleartype is for use LCD monitors, it makes the the text slightly blur so they dont look all pixely. =P

And why disable it?

51. Ryan says:

I wish you guys would just force IE7 on everyone.  I know that’s not realistic, but I have to dream sometime. Coding for IE6 at this point has become an annoyance. I can at least program for FF and be safe to say that everything looks and works the same in IE7.

52. John Hrvatin [MSFT] says:

Hi all,

Here are answers to a couple questions:

- Installing IE7 will NOT make IE the default browser, whether you install it through Windows Update, Automatic Updates, or through the Microsoft.com site.

- the ‘expired’ updates you see on your WSUS server are the test updates we used while testing deployment.  For information on the WSUS release of IE7, see http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsserver/en/technologies/featured/wsus/default.mspx.

Thanks!

John [MSFT]

53. Jason says:

If you run your LCD monitor at the native res, text does not look "pixely".  I guess it would help if you run your LCD at a lower res, but why do that? =)

54. Jason says:

Thanks John.  However, I am still not able to find information explaining if user intervention is needed from WSUS.  I understand that from Windows Update, an administrator will be prompted yes or no to install ONCE.  What about on WSUS?

55. yaser says:

okay, this happens on a lot of websites:

"This Website wants to run the following add-on: ‘MSXML 5.0′ from ‘Microsoft Corporation’. If you trust the website and the add-on and want to allow it to run, click here…

nothing happens if you click on it and let it run. same thing happens over and over again.

56. John Hrvatin [MSFT] says:

Jason,

Once the administrator approves the IE7 update, it will install silently on any computer managed by that WSUS server.

Thanks.

John [MSFT]

57. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@is this a joke: A significant majority of stability issues with IE are caused by buggy plugins.  See http://enhanceie.com/ie/troubleshoot.asp

@Yaser: Actually, something ~is~ happening.  The problem is that this DLL has 5 different objects or so in it, and each one throws the information bar.  So you have to accept it a bunch of times in a row.  Fortunately, you should only have to do this process once.  Sorry for the inconvenience.

@Jarmo Valmari: For an improved Find experience, there’s a great plugin.  See http://enhanceie.com/ie/essentials.asp

58. . says:

@jason: I do run my LCD at its highest Res. =P

59. Jens Meiert says:

And the interface still remains the worst of all browsers currently available. In fact, IE7 brings:

* an "improved" support for webstandards;

* a worsened interface;

* an unclear update future.

Undermining IE’s user experience will clearly harm Microsoft, more or less, since many users really are forgiving, and it probably sets back the webstandards community for several years.

Hopefully, I am wrong.

60. Tim Long says:

With the release of IE7, the nay-sayers are coming out of the woodwork. A quick look at the IE7 blog

61. Ian Thomas says:

Thanks to Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis for the helpful feedback.

There is an indication at left of the toolbar (sometimes) about ‘Rendered with Errors’ (my rough wording), but I will check other ‘offending’ sites like Morfik for incorrect / non-W3C HTML code.

PErhaps this is also the reason why IE7 will not save pages at http://www.traincert.net ?

62. Ian Thomas says:

IE7 does not object to the Morfik website (the indication I was looking for is "Done with Errors" – but it doesn’t occur at http://www.morfik.com/).

An icon indicating W3C compliance may be useful – on the IE7 toolbar

63. IEBlog says:

Just in case you missed it somehow, we released IE7 last Wednesday . In the first four days over three

64. Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis says:

(To get around the over-zealous spam guard dog, I’ve stripped the http scheme prefix from my links.)

@Ian Thomas: I believe the "Done with errors" icon relates only to what IE considers syntax errors in script (VBScript and Javascript).

W3C has stressed that user agents should "recover from error in a way that is evident to users, since the agents are acting on their behalf":

This includes HTML errors, but sadly few browsers take that seriously (Lynx, which will sometimes flash up a warning about "Bad HTML!", is a partial exception).

The closest you can get in IE7 is probably to download Microsoft’s beta Developer Toolbar. It includes a Validate menu which can send you straight to the results for your current page from the W3C validator.

I don’t know what your browser of choice is. Validation is a right-click context menu option for Opera users. If you use Firefox on Windows, there’s Chris Pederick’s famous Web Developer extension with a Validate menu (and keyboard shortcuts):

More cutting edge still, the beta OpenSP version of Mark Gueury’s HTML Validator extension provides just such an icon as we’re talking about in the status bar:

users.skynet.be/mgueury/mozilla/

If you’re running Windows in a virtual machine on a Nice Shiny Mac, there’s the Safari Tidy Plugin:

This displays validation information in the status bar, but sadly it only uses HTML Tidy, which doesn’t validate pages the same way as the W3C validator.

There was also an old project to create an IE toolbar which would automaticall display validation status, but sadly it seems to have run out of steam:

ieqabar.sourceforge.net/

If all else fails, just paste the URL into:

validator.w3.org/

… which reveals that http://www.traincert.net has no less than 516 validation errors in its HTML. Having said that, I’d personally have expected IE to do better with saving broken pages than printing them (since only printing involves re-rendering it slightly differently). I tried saving their homepage as HTML rather than .mht but that didn’t work either.

65. Kip Havard says:

As a corporate IT manager, I would like to disable users ability to install IE7 until we get ready to perform the upgrade.  How can this be done?

I am not talking about WSUS, Blocking Automatic Updates, or anything like that.  I don’t want people who are local admins on their PC to be able to perform the upgrade.  How can this be done?

66. I’ve had a number of people ask me about Internet Explorer 7, which was released last week . It is currently

67. ugo says:

I have Windows XP SP2 HOME EDITION and I have already installed IE7 English Version.

Do will be possible pass trought English Version to that Italian Version with the update  or  first necessary remove the English Version and then install Italian Version?

Do you furnish educations in intention?

Best Regards

68. Jim Adam says:

Internet shortcuts on desktop won’t open after IE7 upgrade, however, the links do open through favorites if the browser is already open.

69. Steve Yates says:

Contrary to the blogger’s comment, the IE7 IEAK Customization kit-created setup installer does NOT preserve the user’s home page, despite an option to that effect within the customization options.

- Steve Yates

- "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man." – Jebediah Springfield

~ Taglines by Taglinator – http://www.srtware.com ~

70. Fuad Ta'eed says:

First thank you to Ian for raising the issue of Morfik site not printing in IE7 and Benjamin’s observations re-invalid markup – as we realized that we had not run the W3C Validator for sometime. We have now done so, resolved the 12+ errors, made the necessary changes and received the necessary W3C Validator +ve tick mark, and as we expected, it was not the issue behind not being able to print in IE7 – but we will continue to look into it.

The observations by Benjamin that no specification defines how browsers should render XHTML served as text/html is correct, and Chris Wilson clearly explains in <a href="http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/09/15/467901.aspx&quot; >http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/09/15/467901.aspx</a&gt; that no version of IE supports xhtml served with application/xhtml+xml mime type.

71. Nick Wilcox says:

Where is the Windows automatic update for IE7??

Is it not happening today?

72. Travis says:

The IE7 package comes into WSUS as "Update Rollups".  If you don’t have that option selected in your items to synchronize, then it wont show up.  If you are just using AU, then it should pop up depending again on your client settings.

73. Kevin says:

I’m wondering if i can replace the automatic update version of IE7 on my WSUS server with one i created with the IEAK.  There are so many features that we want to select for our users, that this could be the best way to distribute it, effortlessly.

74. Craig says:

So where exactly is the update?  I’ve gotten everything appropriately enabled, but it still hasn’t shown up…

75. Steve Yates says:

The Automatic Updates install of IE7 will happen over the next few weeks to months.  See http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/10/19/be-ready-for-automatic-update-distribution-of-ie7-by-november-1.aspx

– Steve Yates

– Pentium slogan: That’s the reason it is called floating point.

~ Taglines by <a href="http://www.srtware.com/">Taglinator</a&gt; ~

76. Pissed Off says:

Unbelievable that such a major change would be forced as a "high-priority" update.  Automatic update has downloaded it for me and now when I try to shut my machine down its got the little shut down to install your updates thing.  But I don’t want IE 7!  I need IE 6 so that I can verify web site compatibility with IE 6.  I’ll test IE 7 on another machine.  So now I can’t shut my machine down.  Microsoft still hasn’t figured out how to allow two versions to be installed on one machine.  This is just too lame for words.

77. IEBlog says:

We have released Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP in five new languages: German, Japanese, French,

78. IEBlog says:

79. Kelly Ford from Microsoft chimes in on the IE Blog all about the current state of screen readers with

80. SSiTE News says:

Since we announced the release of IE7, we’ve noticed many questions and discussion about how well the program works with various screen readers and screen enlargers on the net. We wanted to provide the latest information we have from the various manufacturers

81. Ok.. I just installed Windows 7 build 7057 onto my 17″ macbook pro (early 2009 model). I got everything running except the wifi. It seems to show a live connection available but refuses to get online. I installed all the drives from my leopard 10. 5 cd