IE7, IE6 and The Windows Lifecycle

I’ve been getting questions from folks lately who are wondering what will happen to IE6 (SP1) when IE7 ships. “Will Microsoft continue to provide security updates for IE6 after IE7 ships?” “Will customers have to migrate to IE7 by some point in time?”

The answer is simple: IE6SP1’s support policy will not change when IE7 ships. Everywhere that IE6SP1 is supported today, IE6SP1 will continue to be supported until the OS it ships with expires. Are you running IE6SP1 on Windows 2000 SP4? You will continue to get support for IE6SP1 until Windows 2000 expires (slated expiration: 2010). Are you running IE6SP1 on Windows XP SP1? You will continue to get support there until it expires in October. If you’re running IE6 for Windows XP Service Pack 2, you can stay with that version of IE for as long as Windows XP SP2 is around. I would continue listing versions of Windows, but I think you get the idea.

Additionally, users will not be forced to migrate to IE7 when it’s released. Of course, we hope our users will upgrade – we’re proud of IE7 and are excited to see it ship! But, if you don’t want to move, you won’t have to. We will continue to keep our IE6 customers secure for those of you who can’t or don’t upgrade to IE7. As previously mentioned, Windows Update’s Automatic Updates will offer IE7 to everyone by default, but it won’t force you to install it.

I’ve blogged about this before as well in case you want to see what I said about the lifecycle 18 months ago. And as always, be sure to check out our official lifecycle site for a full list of products, dates, and definitions.

Thanks,

Christopher Vaughan

Edit: Title change to remove amp;

1. Anonymous says:

Hi, I am a die hard fan of Microsoft and their products. However, I am not sure I can say the same about IE 7. I have been trying out IE 7 since Beta. There is one issue that causes me to un-install it every time. That is the screen fonts become blurry with IE 7. I thought, Microsoft would fix it in the release version, but they have not (yet anyway). I just tried the release candidate, but the same issue remains. If Microsoft is not going to fix it, I am staying with IE 6.

Can you help me to send this message to the IE 7 developer team? Seems like they are not listening to users about this critical issue.

Thanks.

2. Anonymous says:

A few things that I would like to see:

1) The security lock indicator be placed inside the address bar

2) the search button be placed inside the search bar

3)  stop and refresh be made into one btn.

3. Anonymous says:

Yaheya: use the Cleatype tuner (available at http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/Step1.aspx) or turn off Cleartype (available from the Advanced tab in IE’s tools/options menu).

Kanwal: The lock icon has been in the address bar since Beta 1. The search button is in the search bar. The stop & refresh buttons were the same button in Beta 1 but due to overwhelming feedback we separated them in Beta 2. There are good reasons to have them separate (for instance, you can hit ‘stop’ on an already-loaded page to stop any sounds from playing).

-Christopher

4. Anonymous says:

Nice to see that. We’ve lots of customers that surely will not update their browser soon, so this is a god news. I hope that IE7 will be released soon via Windows Update and that its performances will be good (we need a fast and secure browser).

5. Anonymous says:

Can’t we all just upgrade to IE7 and get along?

6. Anonymous says:

Why can’t I use the Help Center after I install IE7 RC1 (http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=230151)

thanks

7. Anonymous says:

I currently working for a very large company in Germany that runs Windows 2000. I doubt they will upgrade anytime soon. And my question would be, why is not IE 6 SP 2 released for Windows 2000 as well?

We develop intranets for them and it’s just very frustating when IE 6 crashes when you use filters. This is not the case with IE 6 SP2.

Here is testcase that will crash IE 6 SP 1:

You do say you do support this system and this browser, so why not release SP 2 for it as well?

8. Anonymous says:

Jose: there is no product called IE6SP2. I think you’re thinking of IE6 for Windows XP SP2. That product contained a large number of changes all over the operating system, not just in IE. Per earlier posts in this blog, we have no plans to develop a browser update for Windows 2000, especially now that it’s in the latter half of its support cycle.

-Christopher

9. Anonymous says:

Compugab: I hadn’t heard about this. I’ll file a bug and we’ll investigate.

-Christopher

10. Anonymous says:

Will WGA be required to install IE7 through windows update? Or will it be treated as a critical update?

11. Anonymous says:

ck: from what I understand, if you go to WU you can download the installation package w/o a WGA check. Also, if you have AU turned on, the package will be pushed to you with a WGA check. However in both cases, in order to install IE7, a WGA check is performed at install time, and your system must be genuine in order for the installation to complete.

-Christopher

12. Anonymous says:

Legal mesmo.

13. Anonymous says:

Christopher: Its a bit of a pity that no more updates will be developed for IE 6 on Windows 2000. This practically forces people this system to switch to Opera or Firefox. Which is the best thing to do, even though you would have released IE 7 on Windows 2000. I asked since I have to develop for IE 6… and you can imagine how fun taht is.

14. Anonymous says:

@ Christopher Vaughan [MSFT]

Does that mean security fixes, scheduled for the next "service pack", need to go out before October for our Win2k bretheren?

15. Anonymous says:

woops! I guess that’d be October 1010. My bad… and July 11 has already come and gone for Win98/ME.

Microsoft Security Response Center has previously indicated to me that my issue would be resolved for IE6 in a "service pack" (this occurred well before July 11 2006).

They must have been thinking there’d be an update along for IE6 on Windows 2000.

16. Anonymous says:

I am a web developer, both as a hobby and career. As we all know, some people will not be upgrading to IE7. Because I need to do any testing for personal pages at home, I want to be able to have access to both IE6 and IE7 on the same machine. Is there any way I can do this without going through anything fancy configurations?

17. Anonymous says:

For some reason IE7 RC1 cuts off some images on my website. It is the only browser that does this. Can anyone help me out on this?

1st page has a nano image cut off, 2nd has a pic of David Hasselhoff, which I can’t blame any browser not wanting to fully render.

18. PatriotB says:

I’d be curious as to how Microsoft’s recent announcement about "legacy product support" affects IE.  From what I can tell, the announcement implies that Windows 2000 users can buy extended support almost indefinitely after 2010.  (And that people with custom NT 4 contracts can keep extending them.)  I wonder how much work that must add to your team, having to keep supporting old versions almost forever?

cooperpx — my guess is that, since there will be no more service packs for Win2K the OS or for the IE6 component, that the fixes will never be available for Win2K.  I’d expect them in perhaps Server 2003 SP2 which I’ve heard is being tested, or in XP SP3 (if they ever decide to make it… can’t believe it’s been two years since XP SP2 and we still haven’t seen a beta of SP3).

Part of me thinks that the IE team must be kicking themselves for not making IE6 SP2 separate from XP SP2.  There really isn’t anything in IE6 for XPSP2 that is "dependent" on OS changes.  If there are a few things, they could’ve been guarded by a runtime OS version check.

Unfortunately, since IE6 SP2 wasn’t made for Win2K, I would wager that that’s the main reason (technological reason, that is) that IE7 wasn’t made for W2K either.  Since IE7 was built on top of IE6 for XPSP2, if they wanted to do IE7 for 2K they’d’ve had to first move everything from IE6XPSP2 into a standalone, 2K-compatible package.

It’s kind of unfortunate what the "IE development has reached its zenith with IE6SP1" mindset of 3 years ago has led to.

19. Anonymous says:

<<There really isn’t anything in IE6 for XPSP2 that is "dependent" on OS changes.>>

That’s a pretty big assumption to make– where’s your data to back it up?  Even if it were true (and no one should be convinced) then limiting to XP dramatically shrank the test matrix so they could ship it more quickly.

As for the idea that IE7 wasn’t ported to Win2k because of the XP thing, are you calling the IE team liars?  They’ve very clearly denied that rumor here.

20. PatriotB says:

Ted: You’re right, I don’t have any data.  But if all other software makers can make software for Win2K, MS should be able to too.  The changes between IE6 SP1 and SP2 are not that huge.  They are significant, but no huge architectural changes like we’ve seen in IE7.

I wouldn’t specifically call the IE team "liars", but remember what they said back in May 03: "Legacy OSes have reached their zenith with the addition of IE 6 SP1. Further improvements to IE will require enhancements to the underlying OS." (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/chats/trans/ie/ie0507.mspx)  Microsoft was going to make future IE versions only available through new OS versions.  In other words, IE7 was going to be for Longhorn only (it would "require" Longhorn).  But look at IE7 today: it’s part of the Vista codebase but it works on XP just fine.  So are they liars?  Not intentionally I’m sure.

(You could use the above quote as evidence that indeed, IE6 SP2 would require XP SP2.  But that quote, from May 2003, was made before MS decided to make XPSP2 such a huge upgrade.  Maybe the even restricted IE6SP2 to XPSP2 *because* of the statement?  I’m just saying that I can’t think of any legitimate technical reasons that they couldn’t’ve made IE6SP2 for 2000 as well.  Other than the fact that they’d essentially stopped/disbanded the IE team at that point.)

21. Anonymous says:

why does IE7 freeze whenever I enter local.live.com? I have no toolbars installed and when I try to run IE7 without add-ons, it still occurs (the freezing.

I’ve tried almost everything and still it wont fix the problem…it seems to be working fine on IE6 though…which is strange.

can you guys help?

22. Anonymous says:

can you guys help?

23. Anonymous says:

can you guys help?

24. Anonymous says:

Don’t understand what the big fuzz about upgrading from IE6.0 to IE7.0 is all about. Of course users of IE6.0 should upgrade to 7.0 – it is so much better and feels modern.

The big question is if IE7.0 is good enough to make users out there switch from Opera or Firefox back to IE again? I don’t think that many of there users will if there aren’t significant changes in the browser, and as far as what I’ve seen IE will have a bit of a challenge here.

I strongly suggest that you make the "Mouse Guestures" plugin (http://www.ysgyfarnog.co.uk/utilities/mousegestures/) a standard feature of IE in order to compete with Opera to make this usergroup switch to IE. My experience tells me that this group of users will not switch otherwize.

25. Pepejeria says:

@Roger Persson

You can’t upgrade to IE 7 if you are on Windows 2000.

And I still fail to see that MS says they still support IE 6 on Windows 2000 but don’t care to fix known memory leaks, crashes etc. This is just a shame.

26. Anonymous says:

This page does not display properly on IE7 Beta 3 (7.0.5700.6).

The "Experience Windows Vista" text hovers over the top of the first paragraph.

27. Patrick Rikhof says:

Okay, javascript, i like it… but…whats the status for vbscript? Are you guys making changes for vbscript?

28. Anonymous says:

Those look funny who blame Microsoft with no support for IE7 in antiquarian operating systems. Starting with senile Windows 2000, they soon will demand IE7 for Windows NT, OS/2, MS-DOS and OS/360…

29. Anonymous says:

"Windows Update’s Automatic Updates will offer IE7 to everyone by default, but it won’t force you to install it."

May I ask why this is the case? Surely with all the time it took for IE7 to finally get to the stage it’s at, it wouldn’t be unfair to say that it is by far a better browser than IE6? – Sure, people might have their own opinion on looks – but they’re the type of people who shouldn’t get a say in the first place – if IE7 is "more secure", then why is it not a mandatory update? Plus – as a Web Developer – I’d personally love to see the majority percentage of IE6 go (insert expletive here) itself.

30. Anonymous says:

Hey guys,

Just another piece of feedback, this time regarding the print preview option, which I’ve noticed acting just a little strangely (well for me at for me).  If you encounter a particularly long document and click on the print preview, it will go into it, but won’t display anything (you’ll still see that page indicator, but it’ll be blank), almost like it’s loading the document up.  What makes it a little odd, is the fact that you’ll see the page indicator at the bottom of the screen counting up to some seemingly indeterminate number – in many cases at a fairly slow pace – (I’ve had what was a 12 page document count all the way up to 39 pages), before almost resetting itself and counting back up to what I would believe to be the actual page number.  All this before finally displaying it up on the screen.  It also seems that it is unaffected if you do the whole go out and come back in, it simply repeats the whole process all over again.

I guess my question here is two fold, really: 1) Is there some kind of a specific reason for this that I’m just not seeing and 2) Is there any way/plans to speed this up for the next release, as it can get just a little irritating having to wait for something that I would have expected to have been (and in many other programs is) a pretty instantaneous feature.

Thanks

31. Anonymous says:

IEbeta3 wasn’t completely compatable with the msn explorer. When you would go to delete temp internet files via the toolbar it would generate an error and shut down msn. I hope the final cut doesn’t have this .Beta2 was fine. As far as lifecycle goes I hope that they dont program older OSs out of existance.

32. Anonymous says:

So when are we looking to see the full release version of IE7?

I’m loving the RC1 and want to install IE7 on my main system as soon as possible.  The RC seems very stable but I’d rather wait until the full release is available.

33. Anonymous says:

> Thursday, August 31, 2006 3:53 AM by Kiwi

> This page does not display properly on IE7

> Beta 3 (7.0.5700.6).

> The "Experience Windows Vista" text hovers

> over the top of the first paragraph.

> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/

Seems to be a problematic page – unlike IE7, Firefox 1.5.0.4 displays the heading correctly, but doesn’t display the "Designed for Windows XP / Windows Vista capable" graphic at all.

34. Anonymous says:

There are major compatibility issues in RC1 with Windows Live Mail: the layout is messed up to no end and half the time it says that Windows Live Mail was not able to complete the request and would you like to send a bug report. I’m guessing this might have something to do with the JScript…

35. Anonymous says:

I downloaded IE7 in the first Beta and have updated through each of the Beta versions to the current RC1. Only one problem arose and it arose in all of the versions. Some web sites will not recognize IE7 and will not function properly, but there is a fix for that which I downloaded to each version. It tricks the website into thinking you are using IE6. Everything works perfectly in IE7 RC1. I like IE7 and recomment it to anyone.

36. Anonymous says:

@ Eru Goodwin

People resist change. IE7 looks and feels different from IE6 and that will guarantee a lot of people dislike it until they get used to it.

Also, IE7 doesn’t offer the same UI customization that IE6 does… so they’re playing it safe (correctly).

Finally, People also resist large forced downloads over their tiny-dial-up-modem-pipe into the Internet.

I’m certain the IE team would agree with you though. They are taking on extra work to maintain IE6 (for security fixes for XP only?) and IE7 simultaneously.

37. Anonymous says:

We can accept that it’s too much to expect XP/2003-specific OS enhancements and the IE7 features and security fixes built on them to be ported to Windows 2000, so having a comparable product called "IE7" on Windows 2000 is not realistic.

However, why is no consideration being given to porting to Windows 2000 those enhancements to the rendering engine and UI that don’t (or shouldn’t) be dependent upon having Windows XP, You need not call it "IE7".

38. Anonymous says:

Oh come on.

Mike Brown: "why is no consideration being given to porting to Windows 2000 those enhancements to the rendering engine and UI that don’t (or shouldn’t) be dependent upon having Windows XP, You need not call it "IE7""

Would you expect your car maker to provide your prior year model w/ heated seats because they added them to this years model?

I can almost hear it now: "..but, but, your giving it away for free in this years model and my car supports it!! back port, back port!!"

39. Anonymous says:

Stop with the computer to car analogies, please.

40. Anonymous says:

I like the discussion and debate here. To answer a few Q’s:

Nathan: I believe we just made a version of our virtual machine software free (not like Java, but a complete OS hosted virtually). It installs easily, is easy to maintain, and can be used to isolate IE6 from IE7) – for instance, virtually host a default XPSP2 (+IE6) while running IE7 on the machine itself.

PatriotB: I personally work closely with the lifecycle team so that we’re prepared for any changes to our lifecycle policies. Yes, supporting older Operating Systems incurs some cost, but we’re prepared for it.

In XPSP2, there were many changes in the OS upon which we’re reliant, and there’s no easy way to ship those downlevel. For example, there were changes in the TCP/IP stack, in the Cryptography components, and in the Shell that all affected IE (and vice-versa). There really is no simple solution here, but I doubt we’re going to resolve our conversation in the comments in a blog. Next time you’re at a security conference, let me know and we’ll chat over a beer 🙂 Also, we chuckle at & regret the ‘zenith’ comment every once in a while here too, but I’m glad we have a development team back behind IE.

CooperPx: thank you for the responsible disclosure of your issue. Where an OS SP is planned, you should expect to see your issue fixed.

Vincent: I suggest you file your bug at http://connect.microsoft.com/ie, and encourage friends & the community to validate & vote on your bug. We look at all the highly rated bugs every week. FWIW, I see the same problem you do with my RC1 build.

Bruce: same advice as Vincent: file your bug at our connect site. FWIW I am NOT seeing your issue with my RC1 build.

Roger: mouse gestures are easily available. I know there’s a plugin on our marketplace site. Also I heard (but cannot confirm) that TabletPC users get gestures built-in (although it may require the Tablet version of Windows Vista).

Peperjeria: we do fix known crashes etc on IE6 on Windows 2000. Trust me, I have folks on my team who drive this. We look at the reported crashes and try and fix the biggest offenders wherever possible.

Kiwi: I’m not seeing the problem you’re reported with my RC1 build, I suggest you upgrade.

Patrick: Last I heard, we weren’t investing heavily in vbscript. I know there have been some changes (bug fixes etc), but I don’t know the details. Perhaps that’s a topic for another blog post, or an article on MSDN.

Eru: not everyone wants IE7, most notably in the corporate environment where they’ve standardized on a specific configuration. Those people must be given an option to stay with the OS they’ve chosen.

Serious Sam: Thanks for the bug report. I encourage you to enter it at connect.microsoft.com/ie and get the community to vote & validate it.

Barry: we’re working hard on the final RTM version of IE7. No specific dates are public but we’re focused on Q4 of this year.

Thanks all,

-Christopher

41. Anonymous says:

Im still waiting for windows longhorn. soooon

42. Anonymous says:

Am I reading this right? (second paragraph half way down)

I assume you mean Windows 98.  I hope XP support will continue part 98.

43. Anonymous says:

Archeious: no, Windows XP SP1 really expires in October. Windows 98 (and all other Win9x variants) have already expired. Windows XP SP2 has been out for 2 years, which is how long the previous SP is supported for. So, if you’re not running XP SP2, I encourage you to upgrade around that time if not before.

Thanks,

-Christopher

44. Anonymous says:

@Christopher You said that you look at hoghly rated bugs. Do you look only at open bugs?

I have a validated bug in IE on connect that makes all applicatitions on user’s PC unstable/crash/hung.

I consider this bug important, because it can be used to perform attacks on users that just serve through the malicious site. But the bug was closed "by Design"

Should I encourage people to vote for it, or I need to open a new bug to be noticed?

45. Anonymous says:

Well I hope my reported bug will be fixed by release time (what bug you ask?) the one involving SharePoint Portal 2003, Office (Outlook2003) 2003, and IE 7 saying you need IE 5.5 or better to open a address book

46. Anonymous says:

I think the IE 7 Beta Is great with the tabbed browsing. It came with my Windows Vista Beta 2.

The graphics are great. The new programs are neat. It is the next great generation of the Windows operating system.

47. Anonymous says:

When is IE7 in Vista going to support the photo upload tool on Live spaces?

48. Anonymous says:

FDuch: I’d open a new bug. We’re only looking at active bugs right now. Sorry about the confusion.

Carty01: I believe they fixed this already. I was able to upload pics to my Live space recently using IE7. I think there’s even a blog post here about it in the last month or two.

-Christopher

49. Pepejeria says:

@Christopher: Thanks for your answers. About the PNG crash i linked to above, that doesn’t crash in IE 6 SP 2, so I assume it was fixed there.

50. Anonymous says:

Christopher: http://connect.microsoft.com/ie does not work for me. Page Not Found

The content that you requested cannot be found or you do not have permission to view it.

I am logged into my Live account so that’s not the problem.

51. Anonymous says:

Strike my comment about not being able to get to the connect site. I read the non-intuitive instructions for getting access to connect.

52. Anonymous says:

I’ve just been recently getting interested in reading about these updates and have to say I’m rather impressed at the changes thus far.  Well done.

One thing I’ve just noticed after reading a couple PNG comments and thought I would bring up (if only for my own curiosity/edification).  Note that the IE7 I’m running is the version included in Vista pre-RC1 (7.0.5536.16385) and this may have already been improved.

Anyway, I’ve noticed that PNGs with alpha transparency seem somewhat jaggy on this IE release.  Granted it’s great IE7 finally supports the alpha channel and I’m thrilled to hear that, but the appearance is a little strange looking (somewhere between the quality of a transparent GIF and a PNG image overlayed in something like Photoshop, Firefox, etc.).  I only noticed this because previously I’ve visited the Vista site (http://www.windowsvista.com) in IE6 and the quality of the PNGs is better even though it uses Javascript and filters to support the alpha channel.

My question, purely out of curiosity, is was this planned and will later be "fixed," or was the "lower quality" just not noticed.  If you don’t have IE6 to test this on, looking at IE7 side-by-side with Firefox produces essentially identical results.

Just wanted to bring up that minor tidbit.  Otherwise, excellent job.

53. Anonymous says:

My only complaint was the user interface, Its no more convienant to use IE 7 then it is to use Avant or Firefox will total control over the things I WANT!!! buttons , folders and toolbar icons as well as TAB’s how are you going to share TAB space with other icons for TABS" and not have the abilty TO DROP TABS DOWN TO BOTTOM!!! Or to set up icon address bar or any other ICON!!! LIKE FIREFOX eg. AVANT!!!

SAFTEY , SECURITY , OPEN CODES GEEK STUFF I’NT THE WHOLE 9 YARDS

IT HAS TO SUIT THE USER!!! ANF THEY HAVE TO BE COMFORTABLE AND HAS TO CONVIENANT WITH USING IT!!!

54. Anonymous says:

…………And further more ..I only asked if user can use IE-6 on Vista or those that upgrade to Vista will they be commited

to IE-7 ?????????????????????????

55. Anonymous says:

# re: IE7, IE6 and The Windows Lifecycle

Saturday, September 02, 2006 12:21 PM by TEK_GUN

SAFTEY , SECURITY , OPEN CODES GEEK STUFF I’NT THE WHOLE 9 YARDS

56. Anonymous says:

God…. oh god…. I’m still upset.

*breathes*

Ok. I have a widescreen Microsoft(!), I detest grotesque non-customisable toolbars(I’m a swede and have no idea what the upper solid thingy is called, but it’s absurd and stupid and I hate it) cluttering the larger part of my screen. And I’m hoping the Tool and Page button will be movable as well and that you get some clue and stop cluttering my screen in general. The must-push-"pin favourites"-button-everytime-you-close-and-reopen is also a HUGE turn off. Beta or no beta these are things that are so basic in terms of user interface… *breathes*

And the tabs… The big, fat, monstruos tabs that causes convulsions and claustrophobia… god how I hate the tabs… *clamps the keyboard in agony* Even the colors are off and seems blurry…

A BUG would be the fact that the text size won’t change even with a reboot.

"We heard you" is offensive to a whole bunch of people btw… seeing you don’t even have a proper feedback forum and seem to struggle with a lower count of perkinjecells (read; aspergers syndrome).

Here’s an idea, run it by your thousands and thousands of monkeys sitting by their state of the art typewriters trying to reproduce MacBeth:

Give the interface a general makeover, tone down the tabs and remove at least one bar(or make it fully customizable)… take into accunt that people are using widescreens for christ sakes(and no, ctrl+F11, if I remeber it correctly, just wont cut it… nice, but it won’t cut it). Love the search-button and it’s options, truly brill… but I’d also like to see a meta option in addition, that would take it over the top. ADD SOME MORE CUSTOMIZABLE BUTTONS, it’s pretty damn nice to have the option of a huge "favourites" for a quick tap when you wanna hide it, a short-cut would be greatly appreciated as well. As far as security goes… brill. It’snice to be able to clean the tracks withfewer steps as well(thank you Firefox?).

Inspite of the bitterness… I’m pro-IE and has stuck yo it due to it’s user friendlyness(a new window is displayed by ctrl+N for christ sakes, tabbing is not easier) eventhough Firefox has the esthetics(and are in many ways a more pleasant browsing due to it). But with IE7 going waaaaaay down on the esthetics AND user friendlyness… I will stick to IE6… but for how long? Firefox will fix the kinks eventually.

Thank you for being graceful enough to update IE6 though, much appreciated. Really. Honest.

I scrapped IE7 after a day of hardcore testing… though it has some really innovative strong points… it’s just utterly useless and CLUTTERING(claustrophobia 101).

Bottom line: I’m not browsing for Microsoft designs and I like my space OPEN, AIRY and CUSTOMIZABLE.

I’m still upset. I’d been looking forward to it for so long and to see it get wasted by… some reason… it aches.

57. Anonymous says:

IE7 freezes whenever I enter local.live.com

I unintalled IE7, In IE6 local.live.com no longer freezes. I reinstalled IE7, whenever I enter local.live.com IE7 freezes.

local.live.com works fine in Firefox.

Windows Live Toolbar: Pressing map button links to local.live.com and crashes IE7.

58. Anonymous says:

Christopher: Bug reported but seriously if this ships and cuts off images on web pages and there’s no way to change the size of those tabs *shudder*

59. Anonymous says:

Update: IE7 freezes whenever I enter local.live.com

I used a hosts file to block spyware, adware, ads from: http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

In Firefox, I noticed live.com referenced some of these blocked sites. I removed these sites from hosts file and live.local.com no longer locks up. This could be the solution or Microsoft may have fixed the web page since yesterday.

I continually have had to delete other sites from the hosts file blocking list to get them to display correctly. I am going back to my original (empty) hosts file.

60. Anonymous says:

After uninstalled B3 and Installing RC1, Live Mail has not worked for me. I can only use the Basic version of Live Mail. Site thinks im not using IE 6 or higher. Uninstall and reinstall didnt help.

61. Anonymous says:

I just want to advise you to check and double-check the efficiency of MS IE 7 before you  release it officially onto the Market. Unlike that numerous flaws of IE 6, flaws in IE 7 will undoubtedly affect the reputation of the new Windows Vista Operating system. Its no use trying  to design an easy to use and secure operating system and have a buggy browser open up new vulnerabilities…just like what IE 6 did to Windows XP. Microsoft should check, re-check, and triple-check IE 7…I’m using the release candidate of IE 7, and all I have to say is that it is still a really long way to go before the final release version of IE. The IE development team still has a lot more work it has to do.

62. Anonymous says:

with regards to the last post, when you open up a new tab in Internet Explorer 7, the browser closes itself unexpectedly. Get to work!!!

63. Anonymous says:

Summary: Christopher Vaughan mentioned in IEBlog that Microsoft will not terminate the support of…

64. Anonymous says:

IE7 – it won’t be mandatory (but you’d have to be mad not to)