Internet Explorer 7 Release Candidate Now Available

This morning we released our first public release candidate, IE7 RC1, for Windows XP. You can download it at http://www.microsoft.com/ie.

The RC1 build includes improvements in performance, stability, security, and application compatibility.  You may not notice many visible changes from the Beta 3 release; all we did was listen to your feedback, fix bugs that you reported, and make final adjustments to our CSS support. I do want to call attention to two changes in particular.

First, IE7 RC1 setup automatically detects and uninstalls previous IE7 betas before trying to install IE7 so you don’t have to. We’ll post more detail on the install/uninstall process very soon.

Second, IE7 RC1 will automatically detect add-ons with known stability or compatibility problems so that end users can easily get a newer version or temporarily turn the add-on off. The most common cause of the “IE7 installed but won’t run” problem reports we’ve gotten was old versions of some toolbars. We’ve worked closely with toolbar vendors to make this experience better. Again, we’ll post more detail on this topic here very soon.

A release candidate is fundamentally different from a beta. With the exception of a very short list of issues we’re aware of and working on, we think the product is done. We’re looking to enthusiasts, developers, and IT Pros to tell us if this build has any critical, must-fix before we ship issues. The real world is much richer than our test environment and I appreciate the feedback that has helped us make the product better.

The English RC1 release will be followed by localized versions in mid-September. We’ll continue with Arabic, Finnish, German, and Japanese as before but also add French and Spanish versions with this release. Web sites and applications that are compatible with this RC1 build should be compatible with the final version of IE7 when we release it later this year. (If you’re a developer or IT Pro, I strongly recommend using our Readiness Toolkit and Application Compatibility Toolkit.)

Depending on your feedback, we may post another release candidate. We’re still on track to ship the final IE7 release in the 4th calendar quarter.

Thanks,

Dean Hachamovitch
General Manager

p.s. I’ll repeat some information from previous posts for the sake of completeness. IE7 Release Candidate 1 runs on Windows XP SP2, Windows XP x64, and Windows Server 2003 SP1.  This release does not install on Windows Vista; a new version of IE7 in Windows Vista will be available with the next public Windows Vista release soon. IE7 still replaces IE6; if you’re a developer and need to have both IE6 and IE7 on a single machine, I recommend Microsoft Virtual PC available now for free.

1. Andrew says:

Very cool!

2. G.T. says:

This is a big web site, they say it is designed specially for IE 6 have a look at it after IE7, browse it a bit, it does not look good does it?

3. Rosyna says:

Does this mean the IE team is now hard at work working on the next version of IE?

I’d hate to see another multiyear pause before IE gets any more CSS support (tables!).

Hey, at least you no longer see everyone screaming for PNG support.

4. Fduch says:

PNG is not fully supported.

5. game kid says:

Did the server get pounded?  I get a redirect to http://www.microsoft.com/library/errorpages/smarterror.aspx?aspxerrorpath=/downloads/handoff.aspx as of now.  I’ll check again in a few mins.

6. Clemens says:

Wow it starts much faster than beta 1,2,3 excellent!

7. game kid says:

nevermind.  Up now.

8. Bidou's Blog says:

Microsoft vient de mettre en ligne la Release Candidate 1 de son navigateur Internet Explorer 7.0. Cette…

9. Fduch says:

They haven’t fixed memory leaks/usage that were on connect since april:

Resolution Fixed

Opened Date 17.04.2006 23:21:10

Closed Date 26.07.2006 8:30:05

[quote]

Entered by Microsoft on 19.04.2006 at 13:21

I’m sending this to our Performance guys to take a look at.

Thanks for sending this.

Al Billings

Entered by Microsoft on 19.07.2006 at 16:33

This issue appears to be fixed in IE7 Beta 3. You can download it from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/default.mspx

-Filiz Kurban

[/quote]

I tested and IE RAM usage jumped to 340 Mb immediately.

10. Nocturnal says:

I can’t recall who I directly had contact with via the chat and this message system but I believe it was either Bruce or Dave.  You fixed it!  You are the bomb!  You can now re-arrange the links which are located in folders on the links toolbar!  You guys are GREAT!  That was a bug since IE6 too!  Again, great group of guys and congrats on RC1!  We’re that much closer to seeing the final version!

11. Joe Medford says:

Personally I hope going to FTP sites and read text files off them are better.  IE7 was usless for me in this area.  Will check thanks

12. IE7 RC1 still seems to consistently leak about 85 kB of memory just by opening and closing a blank tab.

I see that the #id.nonexistent{} #id.class{} bug has finally been fixed. That’s very good news.

13. Terry says:

Can you please post what has changed between Beta 3 and RC1?

It is hard for us to know what items to specifically test, if you don’t tell us what now works!

Ta, T.

14. Oneda says:

O Internet Explorer 7 Release Candidate 1 (IE7 RC1) está disponível para download. Isso significa que…

15. Jonus says:

The maps scrollbar on ask.com looks mighty odd.

Looks much better in Firefox or IE six.

16. Theranjanie says:

Hi

I am like Windows Internet Explorer 7 how ask???

Please are you send back me

Theranjanie

Theranjanie03@hotmail.com

17. Nocturnal says:

What CSS fixes were implemented?

18. Jimmie B. says:

Is it just me, or am I the only one, that can’t delete any of the ActiveX controls in:

Menu > Tools > Internet Options > Programs Tab > Manage add-ons.

I can disable some, but I can’t delete any of them!?  Whats up?

19. Mike Diack says:

Have you fixed the following problem (present in betas 1-3)?

1) Install IE7.

2) Reinstall XP over the top (ie. a repair installation) – typically due to a virus infection or some other problem.

3) Lo and behold you are then left with a mix of IE7 and IE6 files and so IE and those apps that use it (eg Windows Update!) won’t run anymore… (The only remedy basically being to re-format and reinstall XP).

This was such a potential (and actual) problem (for others) that I gave up trying the betas…

Please tell me you’ve fixed it,

Mike (mike_diack@hotmail.com)

20. As lots of people have already reported, the IE team released IE7 RC1 today. They also pointed out changes…

21. As lots of people have already reported, the IE team released IE7 RC1 today. They also pointed out changes…

22. The Internet Explorer team announced on their blog the availability of the first Release Candidate of

23. Doug says:

I am having huge problems with IE7RC1. I downloaded it and installed it fine, but when I start it up, it takes a very long time (if at all) to show a webpage.. I tried it using another XP account with Yahoo, and it loaded fast, but not every page is the same. I don’t know why it’s so very slow, but I would think it’s not a good thing at all. I would like to know what i could do about this.

24. Michael Madsen says:

Finally, OE no longer uses ClearType even though it’s turned off in IE! THANK YOU!!!

25. Internet Explorer 7 Release Candidate 1 was released today by Microsoft. This is supposed to be the last…

26. TheViewMaster says:

"FULL SCREEN" Browsing/Navigation In Internet Explorer 7 Release Candidate IS STILL DeGraded From IE6:

2 Rows of Buttons Now?

Here, IMPROVE on This —> http://www.thelavarock.net/Microsoft/IE6FullScreenTop.jpg

The "Auto Hides" Are NOT Functioning Properly:

"FULL SCREEN" onMouseover —> Taskbar (Does Not Reveal) In IE7 RC…

There’s No Left Side onMouseover "Auto Hide" of Favorites…

W-H-A-T-E-V-E-R-S!!!

W-H-A-T-E-V-E-R-S!!!

W-H-A-T-E-V-E-R-S!!!

🙁

27. Walter Alway says:

28. hshh says:

Still cannot browser http://www.phpxplorer.org/ normally. I am using this web file management for my site. But from IE7, it display incorrect. But all is ok with IE6 or firefox.

29. TheViewMaster says:

Aloha! IE Team!  😉

Mahalo!

@Least U Had Sense eNuff 2 Get Rid of That, Ridiculous "Cover/Shield" Over The Minimize, Maximize & Close Buttons In IE7 RC, "FULL SCREEN" Mode!!!  …That, Helps!

I Can See That, It’s Gonna Be a L-O-N-G Process, Involving Many "Posts" By Me Here, On The IE Blog, Jus’To Get Back To The "FULL SCREEN" Browsing/Navigation Functionality of IE6 In IE7 RC!

The ONLY Reason We Are Having This Problem Is That, U Jus’Don’t KNOW About "FULL SCREEN" Browsing/Navigation! …The F-A-S-T-E-S-T, BEST WAY To Browse/Navigate Windows Your Computer!!!

Once U Learn About "FULL SCREEN" Browsing/Navigation, U’ll Understand What I & Others Are Talking About!!!

n’The MeanTime…

🙁

30. TheViewMaster says:

ADD To "Internet Options":

Internet Options —> Advanced —> Browsing —>

[x] Open Windows Full Screen.

Mahalo!

😉

31. Jeff says:

SSL 2.0 and TLS 1.0

On IE 6.0 SP2 SSL 2.0 is selected and TLS 1.0 uncheck on Advance tab.

On IE 7.0 RC1 TLS 1.0 is selected and SSL 2.0 is uncheck on advance tab.

Is this the right setting for both browser? because i remember uninstalling Beta 3 and it did not restore IE 6.0 sp2 setting to SSL 2.0 being selected and TLS 1.0 is unselected.

32. It’s there we released IE7 RC1. You don’t have to uninstall any previous installed beta as we will do…

33. Tino Zijdel says:

I don’t know if I should be angry or disappointed. I just gave RC1 a testrun and it seems that none of the bigger issues in CSS-rendering from beta 3 have been adressed. This basically means that IE7 in it’s current state isn’t much of an improvement from IE6; it still shows buggy, quirky and unexpected behavior in valid CSS designs. I personally find it unbelievable that a company as big as Microsoft dares to ship a produkt like this in 2006 and I’m really confused. Doesn’t Microsoft have people with sufficient knowledge about the technology in house? Has their QA-department been sleeping the past year? Are they just deaf and blind? Or are developers just not so important to Microsoft?

Thanks for slapping me in the face, I will now turn my other cheek and say no more about this charade. I’ll just finish implementing workarounds for the various renderissues IE7 is showing in our site and be done with it. And oh well, live would probably just have become dull without a browser to rant upon…

34. Xepol says:

— WORST INSTALL EXPERIENCE EVER —

Inspite of the fact that it succeeded, hands down, including those install experiences that fail with meaningless error numbers, that was the worst install experience of my life.

Why am I rebooting twice?  Why does my machine appear to be twiddling its thumbs without an explorer window?  The progress bar stinks, as it isn’t a progress bar and runs even while the cpu sits at 3%, about the usage generated by making the bar animate and sit idle, so it is meaningless.

Downloading updates? WHAT FREAKING UPDATES?!?!  THIS IS FRESH OUT TODAY!  maybe it is a mistake, and it’s just checking for updates, fine by why does it take *minutes* to do that?!?

It drives my nortan AV scanner insane, because it can’t start, and it knows it can’t start so I’m getting continually notified as it is downloading nothing and installing something that the anti-virus isn’t started yet (It starts with explorer)..

Explorer finally starts, oh wait, the machine suddenly slams into ANOTHER reboot without notice.

Ok, I’m no idea, I program and even I know that one reboot is a bad idea, and TWO? Two is unforgivable.  You want to uninstall something?  Fine, maybe you might need a reboot.   But you can install everything you need and schedule the files you can’t replace to replace on that very same first reboot, making the next reboot BAD planning.

Sure, maybe some schmuck from a small budget company might not know this, but MICROSOFT?!  You wrote the darn OS, the least you can do is provide a fast, smooth install process.  Instead, I am subjected to long periods of apparently idle and pointless activity and repeated reboots.

What the heck is IE doing that it takes so freaking long to install?  COPY A FEW FILES, SET A FEW REG KEYS… We are talking 30 seconds, not 10 minutes.

Ok, fine, this is par for the course, but supposedly this process is supposed to be improved every time, MS wants to reduce reboots.  My machine is getting faster, but the installs aren’t.

Finally, I get the system up, and low and behold, ONCE AGAIN, my quick links toolbar is SCRAMBLED. AUGH. STOP IT.  The order of that toolbar’s items should be preserved between reboots, just as the order of the toolbars themselves is.

At least someone finally listened and that stupid click noise on navigation isn’t reinstalled every time.

You have to work on the install process.  I downloaded a 15mb file – I assume that it wasn’t just a huge installer app (since most installers are now like 500kb), so why does it take so long to download updates, which I assume shouldn’t even be available the first day.

That stupid scrolling progress bar?  NEEDS TO GO.  Tell me what you are doing, otherwise it appears you are doing nothing.  Downloading files?  Give me a -REAL- 0->100% progress bar.  Installing files?  same thing.

Any caption displayed for MINUTES at a time with no other information appears to be a hung app.  That stupid scrolling thing does not provide information, it doesn’t even provide comfort.

Augh. Ack. I just can’t believe how annoyed I am after that.  Not even the previous beta installs annoyed me that much, not even IE 4… Well, at least the folders in the quick links bar are drag and drop re-orderable, so that is a good place to build the rest of my rc1 experience from.

Signed, ANNOYED.

35. Steve says:

Aside from various other headaches, I’m still having the same issue I’ve had from the earliest beta versions- namely that whenever I close an IE7 window, the screen beneath that window is never repainted.  I closed explorer 5 minutes ago, and I can still see every word of the article I was reading, and I will be able to until I drag another window through the space IE was, and force the desktop beneath to refresh itself.

This has happened with every version of IE, but it’s never happened with any prior versions, or any other program for that matter… Surely I can’t be the only person experiencing this bug can I?  I’ve reported it several times over the past months, and never heard anything more about it.

36. Lifehacker says:

Microsoft took IE7 out of beta and offers the release candidate of Internet Explorer 7 available for download this morning. The ‘softies say: The RC1 build includes improvements in performance, stability, security, and application compatibility. You

37. Mark Z. says:

I do have to ask–why doesn’t Microsoft offer IE7 for Win2000-SP4? Frankly, I’m dismayed. With the improved security features inherent to IE7, why wouldn’t Microsoft offer or force organizations using Windows 2000, especially a Server variation, to upgrade??? Now Microsoft will have to continue supporting and security hole-patching IE5.0 and IE6 on the 2000 platform for the next few years (until extended support disappears). Pointless…

38. Dan says:

"if you’re a developer and need to have both IE6 and IE7 on a single machine, I recommend Microsoft Virtual PC available now for free."

Ewww… why would you want to do THAT when you could make use of a built-in IE feature to run several different copies side by side like these guys have done: http://browsers.evolt.org/?ie/32bit/standalone ?  Just download one, extract, and run!  There is no IE6 XPSP2 version there though. 🙁  But the IE6 there should be suitable enough for rendering testing.

39. TechBlog says:

The first release candidate of Internet Explorer 7 is out. Get it here; find out what’s new here. Don’t let the term "release candidate" fool you. Microsoft has no intention of possibly releasing this build as the finished product. There…

40. @Dan: There are problems with that method. The "stand-alone" copies don’t truly behave like a properly installed version. Conditional comments don’t select version numbers properly and I have also experienced oddities with the JScript engine when using this method.

I use the ies4linux WINE package for quick testing and then IE6 SP2 and IE7 on virtual machines in VMWare Server when I really need to insure accuracy. All tools involved are free.

41. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@G.T.: The bell.ca site seems to work correctly with IE7.  You can bypass the warning using the User Agent string utility.  See http://enhanceie.com/useragent.aspx

@Rosyna: We’re finishing up on IE7 and we’re working on planning and development of the next two releases.

@Jimmie B.: Only certain types of ActiveX controls can be deleted from manage addons (because some are installed by other applications).  If they’re written correctly, you should be able to remove the others using Control Panel’s Add/Remove Programs applet.

@Jeff: Yes, TLS1 ON, SSL2 OFF is correct for IE7.  IE6 had the (less-secure) opposite settings.

@Steve: This sounds like a problem with the graphics card driver.  I’ve never seen this repaint issue.

@Mark Z.: Win2k has been discussed previously.  IE7 relies on security technologies only available in later OS’s.

@Dan: Side-by-side is not supported and hence hacking your system to do it leads to many bizarre bugs that only exist in that configuration.

42. Garrett Adams says:

With RC1 internet shortcuts saved to the desktop will no longer launch.

43. As you probably know by now, Dean Hachamovitch announced this morning that Internet Explorer…

44. Garrett Adams says:

Fixed shortcut problem by specifying IE as my default browser.

45. Jeff says:

Website not showing correctly or not at all and pictures not showing when opening a group of tab that has 9 sites this never happen when opening website on 1 tabs or 2 tabs.

46. John Stewien says:

Still can’t open FTP sites in Windows Explorer.

When I go to Page->Open FTP site in Windows Exporer I get the dialog:

"This FTP site cannot be viewed in Windows Explorer"

the site was http://ftp.microft.com

I’m running XP x64

47. * Sigh * says:

Thanks, but no thanks.  You have not done what you needed to do with this release to win us back.  If you are lucky, you might keep the choir.

48. Joe Medford says:

John Stewien same here.  It should just open explorer.  It would save so much time

49. TechBlog says:

50. So while my download of 5536 is rocketing along at way faster than it should be, I’m gonna take a minute…

51. So while my download of 5536 is rocketing along at way faster than it should be, I’m gonna take a minute…

52. meneame.net says:

Lanzaron el primer candidato público del lanzamiento, IE7 RC1, para Windows XP. Puedes descargarlo en http://www.microsoft.com/ie. La estructura de la RC1 incluye mejoras en funcionamiento, estabilidad, seguridad, y compatibilidad del uso.

53. So, do you want me to come in and tell you what UI things you should fix before making this sucker final – or are we well past that now?

54. Jim says:

Hey,

How about the floating toolbar on the images. SOME OF US USE IT. make it to where we can choose to enable or disable it. Then there should be no problem.

also the menu location freakin blows. when enabled put it back in the original location cause the software just looks freakin stupid with the menu below the address bar.

55. Microsoft says:

Even if you release the final IE7 product later this year, i would suggest to wait until 6 months or so before automatically pushing to users…

Considering the recent bad PR Micrisoft got with product bugs it would be better to wait until most bugs are found out in the real world.

56. Arno Nel 2.0 says:

You can read more details about the changes at the IE Blog , or you can just go download it here .

57. Nocturnal says:

Eric or anyone from MSFT,

I noticed ClearType is broken on certain pages.  Take for instance any vBulletin based forum.  If you click on the menu options such as Quick Menu, you will see that ClearType for that specific text is not available.  Is this a feature or a bug?  If it’s the former, how do I make it so that everything is ClearType ALL the time?

58. ieblog says:

Hey all, a reminder that abusive and racial comments will be deleted. You can convey your meaning without swearing or casting racial slurs.

-Anurag Jain [MSFT]

59. (Almost got lost in all the excitement of today’s news around HD-DVD support in Windows Vista.)

Today…

60. Peter says:

You guys really need to make the arrangement of the toolbars/menu at the top of IE7 more

configurable.

In IE6 I have only ONE bar on top with everything I need: The file/menu bar, the buttons, the address bar, and google search

I just tried IE7RC1 and I couldnt rearrange the toolbars/menues to less than 4! bars.

On top I had the URL+Live search bar. Then google search, then file/menu, then home buttom etc.

Its cluttering up my view. 4 bars takes too much screen space.

Swithing back to IE6…

61. Wictor Wilen says:

The posts are everywhere that Internet Explorer 7 RC1 is out, and I’m not late to test it out. The download of 15 Mb was fast and the installation was easy; it did uninstall the previous beta of IE7, …

62. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@Nocturnal: Please post a repro URL.  (I ~think~ there’s one case where we won’t use ClearType because there’s visual corruption when combined with a HTML filter.)

@Jim: The image toolbar will not be coming back.  Simply right-click to get the same options.  With regard to the menu placement, I posted a script to put the menu bar on top for folks who prefer it that way.  See http://enhanceie.com

@Chris Pirillo: We’re already well into planning for the next two releases, and we’re looking forward to your suggestions.

Thanks!

63. Jens says:

Are you guys nuts ?

Why is the "Stop" Button on the right side ?

Your GUI-"Designers" should take some usability lessons (or at least "steal" the "standard" features from the other browsers).

Letting some Photoshop-kids design the Vista-OS-Interface (Hey more "Glow"-effects more "Glass"-effects … yuck) is one thing but ruining the a GUI of a STANDARD Application in this is not acceptable …

Good luck with your browser (You’ll need it!).

64. Benoit Drebet says:

Is there anyway to know which bugs you plan on correcting or not for the final?

That way we can start making adjustments to our websites to go around "problems" (like 171837 in my case).

I’m sorry for you guys, you did some pretty good stuffs, but for me that is reason enough not to switch back from Firefox.

Finally I found the RC1 install a bit too "heavy". Two restarts, install quite long, stuff downloading without progress information… That last one is really going to anoy some people, they are going to restart their computers in the middle of the install and that should really  mess things!

65. Benoit Drebet says:

I kind of agree with Jens … I had quite some trouble finding the stop button on several occasions.

Either it is misplaced and/or too small.

I think I would like a big stop button next to previous and back.

66. Here’s the link. I’ve only just managed to get to the beta 3 bits. It looks like this one will uninstall…

67. Jo says:

Hmmm..well I installed IE 7 RC1 over my beta on my parallels Windows XP, and aside from all the faffing about with having to reboot (don’t get that nonsense with other browsers), my XP suddenly couldn’t connect to the internet and my network connection seemed to have disappeared.  Like wtf.

On rebooting my Parallels, it then magically re-appeared.  As have things like the keyboard settings on the toolbar at the bottom of XP – I’m sure they weren’t there before.

So that’s two reboots for a browser that has the most unintuitive interface ever in a browser, and is imo just as buggy as IE 6 but just with different bugs now.

Come on Microsoft. Are you really trying to fob us off with this rubbish when there are far superior browsers out there that don’t take over 5 years to release an update version that doesn’t even fix half the problems?  I wouldn’t even touch IE with a barge pole if it wasn’t for the fact that my work has to support it for our clients.

Report card: very, very late.  Must try harder.  A lot harder.

68. Mike Diack says:

Ref my message of Thursday (2:29pm):

"Have you fixed the following problem (present in betas 1-3)?

1) Install IE7.

Please tell me you’ve fixed it,

Mike (mike_diack@hotmail.com)"

I’ve just tried the following to try to see if the problem is fixed. To my delight it looks like it is – can anyone else confirm?

1) Install IE7.

2) Do a "repair" (the R key) installation of XP (as might happen if you have system problems).

3) Now, it seems that IE6 does work correctly. I’m pleased.

Can you confirm you did fix this SIGNIFICANT problem – it looks like it! 🙂

Please post a response or a blog message?

69. Hindu says:

Still doesn’t open links from MSN in a new tab, just launch a new IE.

70. abc says:

Even more snappy and a larger search box. Also, the search provider now appears in grey when nothing has been typed in the searchbox (didn’t work before).

This IE version really works very very well. I’m really amazed how fast it feels, I didn’t expect you could improve much from beta 3. Keep up the good work.

I submitted two minor bugs to connect, I hope you still have time to fix these.

FeedbackID=185483

FeedbackID=185479

71. @Benoit Drebet

>IE7 is cool, but the find in page feature is so poor! Such a waste of time to find what we are looking for in a page, not to mention that it doesn’t look in all frames.

I have written a free plug-in which overcomes these limitations: http://www.quero.at/

72. Ab sofort steht der Release Candidate 1 des IE 7 zum Download bereit. Gegenüber der Beta 3 enthält der…

73. abc says:

BTW, I think it’s a change in the last version: All the favicons work properly now. WOW, what a difference. It just lights up the whole favorites center and is much easier for the eye. Way to go.

74. Mike J says:

Well, you have lost my confidence in ever being able to be taken seriously in the browser market again. I can install however many versions of however many browsers I want without having adverse effects on each other. Except for IE.

I installed IE 7 and it not only can not be installed to a directory to run from separate from previous installs, but it messed up many of my other  system settings dealing with the browser. I didn’t even get asked "Would you like IE to pompously assume it is the be all end all and hose everything you’ve setup on your system"? Add that to the fact that the browser doesn’t even accomplish a fraction of what other modern browsers are offering for standards, compliance, extensibility and reliability and you have a very shaky offering, imo.

This is incredibly disappointing. I had hoped that Microsoft would’ve been willing to take things a bit more seriously for this round – apparently that’s not the case. The more you alienate developers like this, the quicker it will be until IE is largely unrecognized.

And brushing off developers that are pushing for standards as zealots or the like is not going to cut it anymore. We have friends and family that are switching to Firefox or Opera, and they are telling their friends how easy it is to switch. I don’t know a single person anymore who uses IE as their primary browser specifically for this reason. And as long as this is how the consumer will be treated by your offering, why should I make the effort to change that?

75. jace says:

Bug in x64 version for XP x64?

The Close Unused Folders in Favorites isn’t working for me.

Also, if I middle-click a feed, the Favorites Center disappears. This does not happen on the x86 version.

Thanks.

76. MRTB says:

Comodo Firewall doesn’t work with IE7RC1.

IE7B3 is much better than IE7RC1.

77. RC says:

Ya, I have had it with this validation crap.  I have had nothing but problems.  I am not going to validate my OS every damn time I dl something for free from MS.

I have just about had it with MS.  The only thing that keeps me from jumping full-ship into Mac or Linux is that I have some  expensive adobe that I dont want to give up.

God I am hating these guys more and more every year.

78. Kafka says:

@EricLaw [MSFT]:

> (I ~think~ there’s one case where we won’t use ClearType because there’s visual corruption when combined with a HTML filter.)

I’m applying a gradient filter on hovered links using CSS (a:hover) and it works great in Beta 3…

Now, in RC1, ClearType combined with visual HTML filters is not working. So, in my case, ClearType is switch off and on when I move the cursor over and out of these links. Quite annoying!

79. G.T. says:

Where is the download manager?

IE 7.0 Everything that you don’t really care about (ok, besides the tab browsing)!

People, one of the most annoying things is the download, it cuts and you must go and download again, or get a download manager from the net that will either spy on you, or crash IE 7.

So there is an MSN toolbar with tons of useless things, and most of them are already in IE 7, and the downloading of regular files is still not happening correctly, it has been 10 years, and IE still has not introduced a download manager.

What is wrong with you people, when you will just simply get it?

80. Nocturnal says:

@EricLaw

If you visit any vBulletin based forum, including http://www.vbulletin.com and then entering their forum.  You will see a menu up at the top portion of the screen consisting of the options of: User CP, FAQ, Members List, Calender, New Posts, etc.  If you click on "Quick Links" you’ll see a drop down menu.  Prior to RC1, everything was ClearType no matter what.

I don’t see how this page and then the http://my.msn.com could be corrupted… or am I missing something and was this a new implemented feature?

81. Peter Gurevich [MS] says:

responding to:

Friday, August 25, 2006 10:39 AM by Kafka

@EricLaw [MSFT]:

Kafka, we are aware of the issue.  While this is slightly annoying, the rendering of text with CT and a filter presents the user with a lower quality reading experience than rendering with just Truetype. We felt this was the best way to go for our users.  Thanks for your feedback.  We really appreciate it.

82. tedzzz says:

hi

can we make this into an engineering meeting and get away from a gripe session. I am in QA (not MS), and what I hope to see/need to see are more well-stated concerns/issues. Then we might have a chance in delaying the ship date, and I will have some valuable  information to help me in my testing. Am I frustrated? yes, but I have deadlines I have to meet.

83. tedzzz says:

hi

84. tedzzz says:

hi

85. JiJoe says:

I type a word on instant search box and it would just stay put until i clear it just to get the MSN Search to show up.

Can you like Clear the type words inside the instant search box automatically when closing the tabs(search provider website).

86. "A release candidate is fundamentally different from a beta. With the exception of a very short list of issues we’re aware of and working on, we think the product is done. We’re looking to enthusiasts, developers, and IT Pros …

87. francis says:

Beta 3 crashed so routinely I switched to FF.  Hoped for a resolution in RC1  but it crashes even faster after booting, as soon as I leave the tutor pages — and that’s with all extensions disabled.  Also, the notice that I can close IE and restart it to return my extensions (like the Active X control needed to check for updates)obviously doesn’t work.

88. Jeff says:

IE 7.0 RC1 having problem displaying pictures. I’ve seen a lot of red x with this browser.

89. Yvo says:

Great job on the RC1. Unfortunatly the SpeedTouch problem still exists. You can’t login to the web environment of your SpeedTouch router (always Access Denied). No problems with FireFox or IE6.

90. vipz says:

Hello,

One simple question:  When your so called super-browser IE 7 is finally released after using several guinea pigs across the globe to help you do your testing and bug finding for you, are you going to force everyone who has IE6 to move on to IE7?  I sincerely beg you not to!  Let people who prefer IE6 keep it.

Below are my personal opinions.  Of course, I do not expect everyone to agree.

I seriously like the interface of IE6 a lot more than IE7.  It blends in with the other MSFT application GUIs (Windows Explorer, Office 2003, SQL Server 2000/2005, Visual Studio 2003/2005, Map Point, etc.).

I do not find anything that is seriously wrong with the current IE6 version.  Personally, it suits me just fine, and I have no fear when I use it for making online transactions.  As for phishing sites and weird looking URLs, a lot of people can figure those out easily.  As for tabbled browsing, well, I don’t mind opening another IE6 window – it does not bother me really.  In both cases, browsers with tabbed and without tabbed browsing, the computer’s memory usage will be more or less the same.  IE6 handles RSS feeds too, not that I really use them.

So in the end, when I look at your list of "exciting" "new" "features" in IE7, I personally don’t find them exciting enough or worth the trouble to have.  Instead, I see a browser that has a terribly ugly interface, weird looking icons for buttons and menus and input boxes placed in the wrong locations.  I see a browser that requires 2 reboots (at it’s current stage of "development" or should I say current stage of trying to imitation?) and a browser that takes a while to download and install (compared to FF).  IE6 looks so much more organized: the menu on top, followed by the buttons that are organized well in one place and not all over the top screen, finally followed by the address bar.  I sincerely feel you are not paying close attention to what people need – a stable product that is good looking, less prone to crashing and works in perfect harmony with major 3rd party controls.  Just because a bunch of guys at MSFT feel that the new interface and features are awesome does not mean they really are.

In a similar fashion, I personally don’t see an advantage of upgrading to Vista when it comes out.  Fine, supposedly better graphics and some features (obviously, mostly copied from Mac OS), but these features do not appeal to me.  They are simply going to need and use a lot more CPU and memory.  As far as OS security in Vista is concerned, well I lay a wager it won’t be tight.  It will be as vulnerable to attacks as XP.

Lastly, what concerns me is the amount of time your products are now taking to be released as final versions.  Examples: Vista, IE7, Windows Defender, Windows Live Mail, Windows Media Player have all been betas for months.  Hmm.  I guess by the time Vista is out, Apple might have a better OS out in the market.  Or well, existing Mac might still be better than Vista.  And for the record: No, I have never owned an Apple machine, but used some at my university.

I’m losing faith in your developers belonging to certain teams.  Office 2003, SQL Server 2005, VS 2005 have all been great products and well worth the $ spent.  But it seems some other teams have gone astray.

Well, good luck with your "new" browser.  I doubt it will genuinely be better than IE6 or FF.

Regards.

91. vipz says:

Oh, I forgot to add:  I feel your IE7 RC1 should really have been Alpha 1, not even Beta. 🙂

92. Where is the changelog?

Did you fix :active and :focus?

Did you fix the bugs that make JScript non ECMAScript compliant?

93. MB says:

Sigh…

Why can’t an IE "upgrade" put my links back the way it found them… instead of "reorganising" them  for me ???

This game of "screw up your preferences" has been going on for years…

Every time I upgrade IE, I am faced with the chore of re-organsing my links back to the order in which I want them to be, after the installer has organised them into strict alpha-numeric order.

Quite obviously, my preferred order is stored (somewhere) as IE knows how to remember it once I’ve set it up… so why can’t the installer either leave it alone, or at least put it back the way it found it ???

I mean… How hard can it be ???

This is TRULY frustrating, and just another reason I am reluctant to upgrade until I must.

94. vipz says:

So I hear MSFT is going to push IE 7 down our throats when it is released as a critical update.  Hmm.  If possible, that will be one "critical" update I will NEVER install on my machine, because the current state of stability of my computer is a highly critical factor and so is my sanity.  And in the worst case scenario, there’s FF to the rescue from all this madness.

Oh, and IE 7 is supposed to be more CSS incompliant compared to other browsers (54% compliant to CSS 2.1 compared with 93% for FF, 93% for Opera 8.5, 96% for Opera 9).  It has not passed the Acid2 compliance test for browsers (which MSFT vehemently denounces as a compliance check – of course MSFT will denounce any test it fails as baseless :)).

Web developers: good luck!

Following articles are worth a look:

95. John says:

Great job, you finally fixed the favicons !, Thanks guys

96. MB says:

@vpiz

Your quoted links are only about a year out of date… thurrott has long since changed his tune, and now supports IE7

97. <p>
    Version 1.1 of EchIDNA has just been released. This version has the following features:

<ul>

<li>Confusable characters detection using <a href="http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr36/">Unicode TR36</a></li>

98. Andrew says:

‘Feeds(J)’ is still present in the text labels for the feeds button: http://www.hidebehind.com/F13A27C8

99. Ted Nicks says:

I really hate new UI. Hey folks, why don’t you read your own (MS) user interface design guidelines? IMHO, IE7 user interface is anti-ergonomic with toolbar/menu combi being the worst part.

Slow auto scrolling. Times slower than IE6 actually, is the most annoying issue.

Slow UE in general. Just try to resize a IE7 window and see toolbar repainting. It reminds some $19.95 crappy skinny shareware apps…

Still no incremental search on page. Could you please at least implement an F3 "Find Next" (with no dialog) feature? Come on you guys, this is one of the most usefull features, a must actually.

PS: I’m not an anti-IE/MS Firefox silly funboy…

100. will harrison says:

"Could you please at least implement an F3 "Find Next" (with no dialog) feature? Come on you guys, this is one of the most usefull features, a must actually."

I think they’re going to do that for IE 7.5 or 8.0 or whatever the next release is. Also, like others who visit here, I too changed the order of the menu and the toolbar via the Registry (because I hate it otherwise – not because it’s different, but because IT’S NOT STANDARD FOR WINDOWS XP, WHICH I AM USING, NOT VISTA WHICH ISN’T BLOODY OUT AND IS LATE AS WELL :P).

I’m hoping your next release of IE is something along the lines of ASP to ASP .NET in it’s improvements (or VB6 to VB .NET). I would be happy with more JavaScript, True XHTML 1.x, and CSS support. Please don’t let your users down. Thanks.

101. vipz says:

@MB

the articles may be a year old, and Paul Thurrot might have changed his mind about IE 7 (after meeting the people at MSFT), but those numbers still hold 🙂

and isn’t everyone having fun installing and using IE7 RC1?

there should be some contest: what MSFT product after installation crashes your MSFT Windows computer the most?

here’s a nice clip about Vista’s live demo at Redmond…most of you’ll might have seen it already but it’s hilarious 🙂

-vipz (MCSD)

102. ping_pong_sing_along says:

The title of this blog post should be:

WITH IE7 RC1, MICROSOFT MOVES CLOSER TO RELEASING HALF A BROWSER…

…the other half will come in the form of free security patches periodically.

🙂

The IE 7 image on IE home page should read:

We heard you…you wanted it easier and more secure…We made it crappier and whats that?  secure? eh?

103. macky says:

–START QUOTE–

Microsoft plans to automatically push Internet Explorer 7 to Windows XP users when the browser update is ready later this year.

IE 7 will be delivered in the fourth quarter as a "high priority" update via Automatic Updates in Windows XP, Gary Schare, Microsoft’s director of IE product management, said in an interview Tuesday. Automatic Updates is a Windows feature typically used for security updates, but Microsoft has also used it to push its antipiracy tool WGA Notifications.

"The justification, of course, is the significant security enhancements in IE 7," Schare said. Microsoft recommends that all Windows users install the new browser when it ships, he added.

–END QUOTE–

–MY OPINION–

So if it is such a "high priority security update", why don’t they just let us uninstall it altogether?  Heh.

104. Alfonso says:

I’m a little thick sometimes and I can’t get somethings that might be so easy for everyone else, but I just wonder:

In order to test IE7 without messing our system and losing the ability to run IE6 we are supposed to use Virtual PC to run a new copy of Windows XP, but I thought that in order to run Windows XP you need a valid code, IE7 validates that your copy of windows is Authentic, so…

Do you mean that in order to test it we should buy a new copy of WXP? or does Virtual PC allow to run XP without the WGA?

Wouldn’t that make IE7 the most expensive browser in history?

105. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@Andrew: The "J" will not be going away; it indicates (and enables) the hotkey for the Feeds button.

In the default configuration, the text doesn’t show.

106. Nocturnal says:

@EricLaw

Is there anyway you can address the ClearType issue that I brought up?  If you visit http://my.msn.com you will see what I am talking about.

107. Jerry Mead says:

"If you visit http://my.msn.com you’ll see that the entire site almost is not in ClearType. "

This *definitely* degrades the MSN user experience.

108. Dave says:

Let’s compare the install process with that of Firefox:

1) The Firefox installer is much smaller than the IE installer

2) The Firefox installer is the same for all the versions of Windows it supports, no need to know that you’re running ‘XPSP2’ all you need to know is that you’re running Windows.

3) No Genuine disadvantage validation with Firefox

4) You can specify the install location with Firefox so you can run different versions side by side

5) As well as older versions of Windows, Mac and Linux users can also use Firefox.

6) No reboots when installing Firefox.

Then once installed Firefox has one great advantage over IE7:

The IE7 user interface is entirely non-standard and is likely to be a nasty surprise to those who value familiarity. The fact is Firefox managed to add tabbed browsing, etc but still make a UI that was familiar enough with IE6 users that people were comfortable with it. Now Microsoft are going to force this monster of a UI onto unsuspecting people via automatic updates! Why not release as an update to IE6 the new rendering engine for IE7 so they can benefit from the backend improvements without the new UI which will confuse many.

109. Aprés l’annonce de la sortie de la premiere Release Candidate de Internet Explorer je me suis empressé…

110. Chris Haig says:

Just a couple of things (not intending to take anything away from the great work you’ve done, of course) …

IE 7 doesn’t seem to support my Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse very well when it comes to using the wheel for left / right scrolling. The page won’t scroll right away, intead there is a gap of about 4 seconds and will just ‘jump’ across, rather than scroll. Up and down scrolling works fine.

If I click the back or forward button, the phishing filter seems to check the page again, even if it’s only been a few seconds, which slows down the browsing experience a little. I think this isn’t really required when the web address was checked a few seconds ago.

On my desktop, the IE shortcut icon doesn’t update the number to 7, so still shows as ‘Internet Explorer 6’.

When using the zoom, IE 7 appears to miss-place the text within a list of links (I’ll upload a test case on your report section for this). For example, it seems to just ignore the fact that the text within the links should remain spaced.

Also, when zooming, if an image doesn’t load, the box and alt text which are shown are apparently taken out of context from the rest of the page and replaced at an end (again, I’ll upload a test case on your report section for this) showing a gap where the image would apparently fit.

FTP appears to have completly broken. If I try FTP via IE 7, I get hanging browser window. If I try via Windows Explorer (for example, direct from ‘My Documents’) a new tab in Firefox is opened.

Not sure if this should be placed here, but a ‘view source’ button on the developer toolbar would be handy, with a ‘go to this section’ option for highlighted / selected content on th e web page.

– Chris

111. Serious Sam says:

Hey guys,

Just got back on my computer again and noticed the new RC1 thing which I’ve since downloaded.  I like some of the minor things that you’ve done to the look (such as extending the width of the inline search box, as well as having the ‘find’ function at least remember the last thing you typed in).

However, I still have a couple of points, I’d like to mention/ask about:

1) One last thing about the ‘find’.  I’m well aware that you guys have said that you’re considering major improvements to it in ‘future versions’ of IE, but could you at least consider finding a way of making it not disappear when you navigate pages.  This has become much less of an issue since it does now remember what you last typed, so you’re not having to bring it back up and retype what you where looking for every time, but I still say that the only reason it should go away is if the user tells it to.

2) I see for some reason you’ve brought back that dialog box asking whether or not people want to display ‘insecure content’ whenever they encounter it.  I kinda remember the blog entry you guys did on this, saying something about as part of your ‘secure by default’ thingy, as opposed to giving people the option of displaying potentially insecure content, IE would now simply block it all by default, then users would have to select to display it from that security bar.  I believe you part of your reason was that you something about not very many users of developers knowing the dangers of displaying insecure content.  I guess my question in all of that it what exactly changed your mind on it, or is this only a temporary change?

I know I’ll probably think of other stuff about 5 mins after I’ve posted this, but for now, thanks guys and keep up the good work!

112. Bob says:

Hello,

The version of IE7 just before this RC1 would not work with OWA 2003. If I wanted to reply or forward an email that new window would just hang. But now with RC1, I can reply and foward. But it’s when I hit send, IE crashes and I send a crash report.  Any tips?

It’s OWA2003 I’m accessing.

Bob

113. Serious Sam says:

Just noticed that one of my sentences in my last post doesn’t make too much sense.  This is just to clear it up:

I believe you said that part of your reason for doing this was something about not very many users or developers knowing the dangers of displaying insecure content.

114. Jeff says:

I don’t see the Phishing filter icon on the status bar when i turn off the fishing filter. I think in beta 3 it use to show the icon when user turn off the fishing filter which is way better.

115. Walter Alway says:

Just put CR1 as an update to beta 3.  Second reboot kept shutting down before and sometimes after windows logo. Running xp home.  After about 5 times rebooting it took and seems to be running fine.  Have a new add on toolbar from Infohio- State run school library reference site that was having problems with Beta 3- kept crashing IE- sofar is working OK.  After a day I have found this tool bar has been crashing IE on some sites and have turned it off.  Has not crashed since.  As an old… who doesn’t use other web browsers and doesn’t know better,  I am perfectly happy with IE7.  I just hope the toolbar can be fixed or I will do without it, and so will my students.

116. Jeff says:

forget about the previous post the Phishing Filter icon is now showing up.

117. redxii says:

When, or when aren’t, users supposed to enable ActiveX controls, because they are supposed to be disabled by default?

Under Administrator, I installed Flash, Shockwave, and some random test control at pcpitstop. I did not have to enable any of them.

Under non-admin, I had to enable to the pcpitstop control for it to run. Flash and Shockwave just ran. But this is pointless for non-admin accounts, administrators are what need the protection. Certain CLSIDs for popular controls like Flash should not be excluded… bad idea.

118. pip says:

@Dave

Firefox is not optimized for Windows XP SP2

Firefox doesn’t use any Windows XP SP2 technologies

Firefox doesn’t integrate with Windows Defender

Firefox doesn’t support the protected mode of IE7 in Windows Vista

Firefox is slow and it doesn’t free the memory used

119. evg says:

@pip

>Firefox is not optimized for Windows XP SP2

What the @@@@? At least it looks more like an XP application

>Firefox doesn’t use any Windows XP SP2 technologies

You mean, it directly accesses your network hardware? 😉

>Firefox doesn’t support the protected mode of IE7 in Windows Vista

Windows Vista isn’t released yet – and will never be, I assume.

>Firefox is slow and it doesn’t free the memory used

I haven’t noticed that – at least it does not have memory leaks.

So my point is – stop using buzz-words you have just picked up on a near-by blog, without realy understanding what they mean ("Windows XP SP2 technologies" – is it advanced crashes or something?)

You are moving in the right direction, but five years too late.

Good luck

120. Serious Sam says:

Hey again guys,

This is a pretty simple, but I was checking out WMP 11 (for XP) and when I was looking at the built in help, I noticed that it had a text resize option.  I looked at the help (F1) in IE 7 and couldn’t find a similar option, but I feel that this would be quite good for people who don’t quite have 100% perfect vision and found the standard text a little hard to read.

Now, this is more a question than anything else, but was hoping someone could help out, anyway.  Basically, when I was looking through the ‘page’ menu, I think I accidentally hit something in the ‘encoding’ bit, so essentially, my question is whether or not anyone could tell me what the default option the should be, please? Sorry if this is a really odvious question, or if the setting varies depending on what localised version you have, but I’ve just never really had a reason to be playing around with this before, so I’m a little lost, lol.

121. rei says:

Hi,

Have you noticed that the favorites drop menu is still excruciatingly slow?

I have 1,241 favorites right now and it takes about half a minute to show up.

I thought this would be a known problem.

122. Sean says:

I’ve noticed that height="100%"/width="100%" is no longer working on Java applets in IE7 RC1… anyone know why? :S

123. BSB says:

When will we see "IE7 removal tool RC1"

I have 4 machines that users went and got RC1 and three get a blank page (no errors)

the other just says "xyz.com is unavailable"

xyz being ANY microdoft site OR any other.

Sorry boys but its back to the drawing board on this one.

BETA seems ok tho so dont know what you did to RC1 but you broke it !!

124. BSB says:

When will we see "IE7 removal tool RC1"

the other just says "xyz.com is unavailable"

xyz being ANY microdoft site OR any other.

Sorry boys but its back to the drawing board on this one.

BETA seems ok tho so dont know what you did to RC1 but you broke it !!

125. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@Serious Sam: You should set Encoding to AutoDetect.  IE has a large number of options for resizing webpage text; click the zoom indicator at the bottom right, for instance.

We put the "insecure content" prompt back because it turned out that the Information Bar caused major compatibility problems (that couldn’t be worked around) with a few websites that were mixing HTTP inside HTTPS pages (never a good idea, but in rare circumstances, not really avoidable).

126. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@Yvo: I’d love to help with the speedtouch router problem, but thus far NO ONE has managed to get us a log file showing the problem.  If you can send me a log, I’d love to look into it.

Please send it to me ericlaw at microsoft.

127. Nocturnal says:

@EricLaw

The re-arrange links within the Links toolbar is still there albeit a little better but it’s still there.

If you have any folders that are offscreen where they’re not visible along the Links toolbar and you have to click on the >> to view them, anything re-arranged in there, does not stick.  Folders are moved to the very top and the rest is the same as I reported.  http://www.supz.net/images/ie7.jpg <- screen shot of what I’m talking about.

128. Bran says:

I have been trying to download IE7 RC1 since it was released last week but have not been successful.  I currently have IE7 B3.  When I attempt to download RC1, I can get passed the validation point with no problem. However, when I click on the download button, the box never appears.  Then when I click on the manual download link, I get a ‘page cannot be displayed’ error notice.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Any insight would be most appreciated.

129. Alex M says:

Will the need to "shell" to Windows Explorer to both "runas" and FTP to non-anonymous sites continue through the RC phase?

I have noticed there is still a catch-22 around LUA in WinXP, as well as a possible "endless loop" in FTP where the user is told to hit the View, Site in Windows Explorer, which then pops up and says can’t open FTP site?

It is getting increasingly problematic to run LUA in WinXP, and IE7 ain’t helping!

130. Alex M says:

Why does the popup security warning inform a trusted site is about to open a page in my trusted sites zone? This behavior I think has been there since IE6 though. I am not sure you trust me to trust sites. IE7 will have but two (three counting banned) zones, with the intranet being "deprecated"? So far this is breaking a good number of my .NET 1.1 and a few 2.0 apps due to trust levels and HTTPS, sorry to be bearer of (more) bad news.

131. G.W. van der Vegt says:

One feature missing is that you cannot see if a page is partially secured by https. This happens a lot when websites embed secure payment. Would be nice if the key symbol would show up in a slightly different way.

132. Matthias Götzke says:

The IE7 release candidate seems to have stopped hosting the CLR. At least on my machines the HostString does not list the clr’s anymore and does not load Windows Forms dll controls anymore. Any idea whether his is supposed to stay that way ?

133. FTP says:

NO FTP ACCESS

THIS IS CAUSING PROBLEMS WITH MY BUSINESS. Users cant get to their accounts in the new IE7 Release.

What gives?

134. Serious Sam says:

Firstly, I would just like to thank Eric for his response to both my points; the encoding thing, especially was very useful.

Since then though, I’ve come up with a few other points that I hope you’ll find useful:

1.  I finally remembered to take another look at the message which you get after manually checking a website with the phishing filter and I have to say that I like what you’ve done with it.  You’ve not only switched it from something that may well have misled people, but you have also given them the tip about checking out the websites address.

I also like the way in which the icon for the phishing filter stays on the bottom bar, even if the auto checking is disabled.  However, I have noticed that occasionally when you click on it to bring up the options, everything (the text, icons and lines) disappears after a couple of secs, leaving a completely blank bar.  Now, this only happens from time to time and it all comes right back after clicking away, but it is still a little odd.

2.  Since getting the RC1, I’ve also noticed that it occasionally seems to lose my position on the page when I go and refresh it.  Again, this doesn’t always happen, but it can be a little irritating if it does – especially if it was a fairly long page and results in me having to scroll back through it to find my prior position

3.  I was also somewhat curious as to where the ‘tip of the day’ feature went.  Now, I’m aware that this isn’t something aimed towards the more advanced users, but I’m sure there have been a lot of newer users down the line who have probably found it quite useful in introducing them to the program.  It certainly helped me when I first started using IE 6 and was where I learnt many of the keyboard shortcuts that I use today.  I feel that it would be cool if you brought this back and I was thinking that as well as simply having the general product usage tips; you could also include security tips as well – I’m not talking about any real advanced stuff, just some of the basics.  Simple things like “checking for updates for your browser and operating system will help keep you secure against the latest threats….”, or “phishing is a scam designed to steal your personal details… to help protect you from this Microsoft has built in a phasing filter which we recommend that you… however, even with the phishing filter, the best form of defence is personal vigilance, you can help protect yourself by taking these simple steps….” etc.  This,  I believe kinda links in with what someone else was talking about when it comes to educating the user on these sorts of security issues.  I just feel that doing it through the tip of the days – simple common sense stuff that is easy to digest – would help to instil good practices into people at a very early stage.

4.  With the new icon menus that IE 7 uses, is there anyway of bringing back the descriptions for each one in that bar at the bottom of the page. This would basically be the same as what you had in IE 6 with its drop down menus and what the classic menus here still has.  Therefore, if you hovered, or clicked on the old ‘view’ drop down, it’d say, “Contains commands for manipulating the view” and with each subsequent command within it would have its own little description.  I thought this was quite nice and again cannot seem to work out why it’s all of a sudden not there.

5.  My other point once again centres on the ‘quick tab’ feature.  I just recently read an article (sorry, no link this time guys, lol), which made a valid point that the ‘quick tab’ seems use an old cache.  This essentially means that often you’ll notice that the thumbnail page images do not always reflect your current position on the page.  They did mention that this is a more of a minor detail, but it would still be nice to keep the thumbnail images up-to-date.  Additionally, at the expense of flogging a dead horse on this one, I’d just like to re-point out the suggestions that I’ve already mentioned with regard to the quick tab feature:

– Numbering the thumbnail images – particully useful since I believe there is a way of navigating the tabs via numbers.

– Re-ordering tabs though the thumbnails

– Being able to display the thumbnails in either grid, or list forms

– This isn’t necessarily to do with the ‘quick tabs’, but replacing the ‘tabs list’ with a ‘manage tabs’ feature.  This would bring all the commands for managing the tabs as a group together in  one place, including the ‘refresh all’, ‘close other tabs’, even basic arrangement options and a ‘print all option’ to print all the open tabs in one go (as well as containing the tab list)

A couple of (hopefully) new things:

– Being able to print out the ‘quick tab’ page(s) itself, as a way of getting almost a slide show of all the pages you’ve got open (I did a – very basic – Internet and web design course a while back and would have loved to have had a feature like this, instead of having to print out every page individually).

– Having a print option on the menu when you right click on either the thumbnail image, or the tab itself, so you can  do this without switching between them.

Anyways, that’s pretty much all I can think of right now, lol, hope it proves useful!

135. IT says:

CSS.  Why does microsoft not fully support CSS?   If anything, I want full CSS support, not tabs that do not work.

136. Nazgulled says:

How come we still can’t align text vertically with IE using:

display: table-cell;

vertical-align: middle;

Shouldn’t this be supported?

137. Dave W says:

Has the issue with My MSN not showing up clearly been resolved yet as I am having this same issue and it’s very frustrating?

138. Bran says:

Hello all–  I still haven’t been able to dl IE7 RC1.  It appears that alot of Comcast Home Networking customers can’t connect to the Microsoft Servers handling IE7.  I hope they can get this straightened out soon. I would really like to see RC1

139. Marcus says:

since installing this i keep having annoying messages about "insufficent virtual memory" and when running the ie7 connection diagnostics was informed of winsock errors.

Overall experience very poor

140. Louis Martinez [MSFT] says:

@ Garrett Adams

RE: With RC1 internet shortcuts saved to the desktop will no longer launch.

Garrett, would you be able to provide some more information about your configuration?

-What OS are you running?

-What was your default browser prior to upgrading to IE7 RC1?

-Did you upgrade over a previous version of IE7?  If so, which?

-Any additional comments?

141. jp says:

Hi guys,

The system looks good and seems to run well, although in all honesty I have not really kicked the tires too much.

One thing I have noticed after installing IE7 RC1 is that my system is slower as a whole when opening some other applications.

Currently I am having the most trouble with Outlook Express as I use it for newsgroups, but I have noticed a slight decrease in performance on other apps as well.

Is there any information on this?

142. Chris Hester says:

I’ve made a post listing all the bugs I’ve found in IE7. It contains some screenshots too. Hope this helps.

143. )v(asterChief says:

> @Chris Pirillo: We’re already well into

> planning for the next two releases, and

> we’re looking forward to your suggestions.

Hi.  Thank you for all the fixes you were able to get into IE7 (especially the dropboxes not having an infinite z-index).  I’ve got two questions:

1) Does the "next two releases" mean IE 8 & 9, or next Release Candidates, or IE 7.x & 7.x+1?

2) How much focus will your team be placing on CSS fixes/improvements (such as wrapping up a lot of small things like support for border-spacing, empty-cells, :focus, etc.) vs. new non-HTML/CSS improvements (such as ActiveX, plugins, security, etc.)?  I too am a developer and would like to plan which work-arounds I need to do and which I can plan on you guys tackling soon.  Specifically #179492, which requires me to use a CSS expression() call which slows rendering down each time it is needed.

144. Yolanda says:

I haven’t downloaded the IE 7 candidate yet, but I have been having problems with my current IE 6, such as picture display, and I’m constantly having to refresh pages, just to view pictures. I am also having the same problem with my Firefox browser as well…is there anyone else experiencing this problem??

145. Chris Hester says:

@Yolanda: try 3 things: 1) empty the browser cache. 2) Check if you have Norton software running. This can sometimes affect images. 3) Try Opera and see if that is also affected. If so, it must be your computer settings. (Firewall?) You could also try IE7!

146. Doug Clark says:

Having installed and like IE 7.0 Beta 2 and Beta 3 on several of my machine I thought I’s try RC1, but it completely screwed up the IE installation on the laptop that I tried it on, and then uninstalled itself !

Now the machine cannot install any IE 7.0 software Beta or RC.

Anyone else has this issue, or know how to fix it? Currently the machine is back with IE6 but for a time that wasn’t to healthy either!

147. Andre Robitaille says:

Fix CSS.  Fix CSS.  Fix CSS.

148. afa says:

Opps, you guys still not get Chinese localization done?

149. Meio Bit says:

A Microsoft n&#227;o quer ficar atr&#225;s da Funda&#231;&#227;o Mozilla e lan&#231;ou o Release Candidate 1 do Internet Explorer. Novidades? Nada no visual… corre&#231;&#245;es de bugs, um instalador mais inteligente ( agora, voc&#234; n&#227;o precisa

150. DieHard says:

I hope to God the IE Developer is reading this!

Before I download and find out disappoints…

Please follow Web Standards:

Take IE7 on the Acid2 Browser Test:

Thank You!

151. PaulB says:

Since installing IE7 I’ve noticed two problems, one with Windows Media Player, and one with Outlook Express.

The first is most serious:  clicking on any link that launches WMP causes WMP to hang, using a LOT of CPU (over 50%), and lsass.exe is also active (over 10%).  The only thing to do is to kill the wmplayer.exe process.  If you "Save Target As", you can successfully download and launch it, but I have yet to find any wmv files that open successfully from within IE7 RC1.

The second one isn’t directly related to IE7, but started occuring the moment I installed it.  On every launch of Outlook Express, it claims there is no internet connection and prompts to work off line or ‘try again’.  Clicking try again, works fine.  This happens every time you switch identities as well.  This is just a minor annoyance, but it’s still odd.

Just FYI.  I hope both of these problems can be addressed before final release.

152. Web developer says:

It would be really useful to have a much more complete CSS support (version 2.1 and the stable bits from CSS 3). You may have not noticed this but a lot of minor sites/blogs are beginning to ignore IE and simply test with Firefox/Opera/Safari because including  workarounds for IE is really annoying (and will become more *difficult* with IE7, not easier because we should support *yet another* different buggy/incomplete CSS implementation!).

The result is that in a growing number of cases IE users will see only a dumbed-down version of a nice CSS design or, worse, simply the plain mess that IE renders for complicated CSS 2.1 stylesheets.

Thanks for your attention.

153. Howie says:

I’ve used the IE7 RC1 for several days and have decided to retain it (I uninstalled Beta 3 in favor of IE6 after a couple days with it).  That said, it still finds itself behind Firefox 1.5.0.6 and the latest Opera release in my browser usage rankings.

The delay associated with opening IE7 RC1 and being able to initially use is unacceptable.  I have a blank page as the opening page (tab) and there is a "Connecting" message in the tab for nearly ten seconds before the browser is ready to go.  You can imagine the lengthy delay when one has saved multiple tabs–with actual URLs associated with them– to reopen upon starting the program.  This is excruciatingly long.  Of course, both FF and Opera do not suffer from this unacceptably long delay.

In addition, there seems to be a regression in memory/resource usage with the RC1 (versus the Beta 3).  When IE7 RC1 is open, all other applications seem somewhat sluggish in their responsiveness– a performance issue cured by simply exiting IE7 RC1.  I have 2gb of RAM and an overall robust machine, so system specs are not at fault and this issue was not present with IE6.

I hope you can make progress toward overcoming these performance issues.  Most power browser users will not sacrifice system/browser productivity– especially with a product trailing its competition in terms of features (standard and optional)and usability.

154. Dave Lane says:

Sad to hear about the CSS support continuing to be broken despite Microsoft’s "best minds" on the case…  It really is embarrassing for company like Microsoft to release a broken browser nowadays when tiny little underfunded development teams can make browsers that run rings around Trident, eh.   And worse, still, they rub your nose in it by making it *freely available for you to use!*  Why not swallow some pride and show some good sense by adopting a working rendering engine like Mozilla’s Gecko or the Linux KDE (K Desktop Environment’s) KHTML engine (on which Apple’s WebCore and Safari browser are based – see Apple wasn’t too proud!) – or hell, you could even license Opera’s Presto engine if going open source really bugs you so much.   Either way, it’ll save you a lot of face.

Best of luck,

Dave

155. Freddy McFred says:

FTP handlng is still veru much horrible.

At the very least allow it to open FTP links automatically in Explorer just like IE6 does. Including FTP links with login/password encoded in the URL!

There definitely needs to be a download manager as standard in the browser. One which supports HTTP/HTTPS and FTP URLs.

156. Freddy McFred says:

I almost forgot, ClearType should be renamed "fuzzy text that makes my LCD monitor look like it has oil on the screen".

RISC OS on the Archimedes has better font support than "ClearType"!

157. rei says:

Time to get glasses.

Err, _new_ glasses.

158. boagworld says:

In the 48th episode of Boagworld.com we look at ten ways to produce a lousy design! We also look at some of the highs and lows of the mobile web as well as review an extremely good open source forum system.

159. Ed says:

IE7 RC1 is a very significant improvement. However, I have noticed a couple of problems. First, I would really like to be able to move my Links toolbar item to the right of the Page icon like it was in IE6. It seems pretty strange to have to have it on its own line if I want to continue to use Links. Also, I have noticed that when changing certain buttons on my Windows Live Toolbar, IE7 crashes. Each time I restart the browser, it crashes immediately before I can disable Windows Live Toolbar. As a result, I had to uninstall the toolbar. Lastly, when I copy text from a different program and attempt to paste it into a field in IE7 (like in the search field in maps.google.com), it pops up a box asking me if I want to do so because it allows the site to access the clipboard. Not only is this box annoying, but when I click "Allow", nothing happens. I have no way to post text from another program into a field in IE7 RC1.

160. Chris Hester says:

"It really is embarrassing for company like Microsoft to release a broken browser nowadays when tiny little underfunded development teams can make browsers that run rings around Trident, eh.   And worse, still, they rub your nose in it by making it *freely available for you to use!*"

And how is IE7 not free to use?

"I hope to God the IE Developer is reading this!

Before I download and find out disappoints…

Please follow Web Standards:

Take IE7 on the Acid2 Browser Test:

You must be new here.

161. tube says:

You have build in RSS feed support, which shows an rss feed nicely whithin the browser. However, when a developer has applied a ‘custom’ xsl-sheet, IE7 completely ignores this. Can you explain why this is, or which hack/workaround should I use to have my own xsl-sheet applied to the xml file?

162. reaper.dk says:

Why does IE7 run extremly slow with the World of Warcraft european forums.

Is it an issue on their site or is it a bug in ie7?

163. VOODOOS!L says:

FULL SCREEN browsing in IE7 definitly need to get some changes:

-let the user chose which buttons he wants and where, and thus also which toolbars to see or not

-favorites autohide sidebar is missing, if you add it, make IE remember the choice, also after closing IE (IE6 didn’t remember)

-Full screen with autohiding taskbar should be supported like in IE6, thus moving the mouse down the screen to taskbar should show the taskbar and autohide it, even in full screen mode (worked correctly in IE6)

also have the Speedtouch router login problem. I always get an error like if I typed the password incorrectly. :-s

Of course, this problem didn’t occur in IE6 or other browsers…

Browsing the internet is so much better in FULL SCREEN… so please support it!!!

164. fuBar says:

Hello.

I am still not satisfied that you folks made IE7 CSS friendly. For example, IE7 does not render position: absolute properly, while other browsers such as Firefox, Opera, and Safari render position: absolute perfectly.

I have the recent build of IE7RC1, Firefox, Opera, and did a Safari test.

IE7 needs more improvement to provide the modern age CSS coding or people will start relying on other browsers such as Firefox and Opera.

But good job on the improvements and the large leap from IE6.

Thanks.

165. Sagi Arsyad says:

I don’t know wether it’s Yahoo or IE is wrong.

Now I using Yahoo Mail Beta, It take 90% processor work for a few minute and then back to processor work normal. Is it Yahoo’s javascript or what…

My suggest For IE7 RTM is better RSS tools on it..

if you use Opera or RSS Bandit, they give small RSS alert each time there’s some news. but in IE7 RC 1 I cant found it anywhere to set some windows alert.

thanks

166. So while my download of 5536 is rocketing along at way faster than it should be, I’m gonna take a minute

167. Bidou's Blog says:

168. Today we released Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP. I encourage everyone to download the final version

169. (Almost got lost in all the excitement of today’s news around HD-DVD support in Windows Vista.) Today