Polishing the Chrome

My name is Mark Harris, and I am the Program Manager driving extensibility in IE7.   With the creation of www.ieaddons.com we have a rich set of 3rd party add-ons, and we are committed to improving this resource over time.  Most users are familiar with toolbars, but many don’t realize the breadth of the add-ons available for Internet Explorer.

Personalize Your Ride

I rented a Harley-Davidson Sportster 1200C this past weekend (hold the mid-life crisis jokes).  There are a huge number of accessories available for the bike:  custom handlebars, special seats, and (of course) louder mufflers.  These accessories let riders personalize their riding experience.  In a similar way, Internet Explorer Add-Ons provide users with a way to personalize their browsing experience.

For example, many of us have difficulty with spelling.  Enter IESpell: the spell-checker for the web.  It’s a free download for non-commercial use, and spell-checks any text typed into a form.  IESpell will also look up word definitions and works with several language dictionaries.  Right-click on any word in a page, and IESpell will get you the definition.

Another customized feature is navigation with mouse gestures.  There is a well-put-together add-on (with source!) for Internet Explorer that adds mouse gestures to the browser frame.  With this add-on you can go forward, back, and even open tabs depending on how you move the mouse.  Mouse gestures are not for everyone – but for those who like it, the add-on makes for an even more personal browsing experience.

On the Super-Highway

Another group of add-ons are tied directly to specific web services.  Sites like Windows Live and  StumbleUpon offer add-ons for Internet Explorer so you can enjoy their services while browsing the Internet.

The Windows Live toolbar is tied in with the Live.com web services.  It lets you access weather, stock quotes, maps, and Wikipedia searches at the touch of a button from your browser session.  It even lets you keep a copy of your Favorites on the Internet, for easy access from any computer.  The toolbar ties in cleanly with Windows Live services, as if it were a part of the browser all along.

StumbleUpon is a social networking service for web site recommendations and reviews.  Their toolbar tracks your likes and dislikes and recommends web sites that you might enjoy.  It uses calls to their back-end web service to provide this functionality from any Internet Explorer session.  Using the toolbar, they integrate the components of their web site with Internet Explorer as if they were  native to Internet Explorer.

The add-ons mentioned here are just a few of the hundreds available for IE7.  New add-ons are being submitted to www.ieaddons.com every day.  There is no way one blog post could showcase all of our favorite add-ons that are available for IE7, so you will be hearing more from us on this subject.  Until then, have fun customizing your Internet experience, and share your favorite add-ons below.

Mark Harris
Lead Program Manager

1. Remove me from your addresses.  I am getting too many messages about the same things.

2. PeterF says:

Now that IE7 catches up with Firefox, the huge amount of extensions for Firefox is the #1 advantage that Firefox still has over IE.

However, there are also many fantastic IE add-ons-unfortunately, most of then quite unknown. My favorite is Web Research Pro, a tool to capture and annotate research results from within IE (www.macropool.com).

3. Ron says:

Ugh, this sounds like marketing material garbage, it’s painful to read.

Downloading addons for IE7 is nothing like changing parts on a bike, you can’t actually modify anything in IE7, all you can do is add more potential spyware.

It also sounds like you copied a Firefox or Opera article and changed the browser name to IE7 and extentions/widgets to "addons".

4. Anthony says:

That sure did sound like an addy.

Anthony

5. JRosenfeld says:

Does Microsoft vet these addons before giving them this publicity and offering them to IE users?

For example, I downloaded UK radio toolbar, which downloads as a self extracting .exe. I extracted its contents with Winzip and scanned its files with Norton AV 2005. One of the files (Tbedrs.dll) is reported as trackware.

Filealyzer identifies it as

File version: 4, 5, 102, 0

Company name: Platforma Online Ltd.

Internal name: EffectiveBrand Toolbar

Comments: EffectiveBrand Toolbar ver 1.0

Legal copyright: Copyright © Platforma Online Ltd. 2005

Legal trademarks: Copyright © Platforma Online Ltd. 2005

Original filename:

Product name: EffectiveBrand Toolbar

Product version: 4, 5, 102, 0

File description: EffectiveBrand Toolbar

Private build: 4

Special build: 4

Needless to say, I did not install it.

I really don’t think it polishes MS’s reputation if it blithely advertises third party addons that are a security risk or compromise the user’s privacy.

6. Wilks says:

I also think that while IE7 is going to be much better than it ever has been before, Firefox will always be better because of their frequent release schedule.

It’s like Mac OS X, when they release an OS, they immediately start planning the next one.  Mozilla does that with Firefox and therefore new Firefox versions come out frequently.

7. PatriotB says:

Wilks — are you implying the IE team is NOT planning the next version?  I remember reading that they are already working on the next two versions of IE.

8. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@Ron: Did you actually try the addons we’re highlighting here?

With the mouse gestures addon, my version of IE includes a lot of additional functionality that doesn’t ship "in the box".  For instance, when I double-right-click, all of the Flash objects and third-party images are removed from the page (handy for reading online newspapers).

IESpell offers a great enhancement as well.

@JRosenfeld: Addons specifically called out in this post have been used by members of the IE team and we didn’t encounter problems with any of them.  My personal favorites are listed at http://www.enhanceie.com/ie/essentials.asp

Addons at ieaddons.com are not vetted by Microsoft. The IEAddons.com model is similar to http://www.download.com, where the uploader must agree to certain terms and conditions (e.g. may not contain spyware) before posting.  If there’s a problem, we will investigate and remove.  Users can vote on extensions and leave comments for other users.  As you can see in the case you’ve mentioned, there are several negative reviews for this product.

We’re looking into the UK Radio toolbar to ensure that you’re not hitting a false positive, and we’ll pull it if the problems are legitimate.

@Wilks: You’ll be happy to know that planning for the next two releases of IE is already underway.

9. SicknTired says:

Have you (token anti-Microsoft Firefox User) ever actually thought?  I mean: Do the synapse within your brain actually work?  Have you ever formed a real opinion?  Does totally irrational ‘Microsoft-bashing’ ever grow old to you?

I’m interested to know why (it seems apparent that) FireFox users are the FIRST to know about updates to this blog and the FIRST to comment about how/why/what they hate about the latest MSIE blog posts.  If you hate IE so much, what are you doing here?  Go away.

Yea, I’m speaking specifically to PeterF, Ron, Wilks, and PatriotB.  Go back to the FireFox blogs and rave about how much you like it.

For the record: I like Firefox and MSIE.  I use both, BECAUSE I LIKE THEM BOTH!  Also for the record: I don’t like fanatical FireFox users! (Because they leave their junk in blogs, unrelated to their worship, and others have to sift through it.)

Let me tell you something that everybody already knows: You (token fanatical FireFox hound) feel threatened that MSIE 7 will be released soon and people — LOTS OF PEOPLE — are going to like it.

(Just stoking your flames!)

10. Benoit says:

> I’m interested to know why (it seems apparent

> that) FireFox users are the FIRST to know about

> updates to this blog

It may be thanks to the powerful RSS integration and addons that are available for Firefox. But don’t worry, if this post is right, trolls using IE will be as fast soon enough.

11. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@SicknTired: No need to stoke the flames– there are lots of passionate folks who read this blog.  🙂

Our comments contain a lot of criticism, some warranted, and some not.  We’re glad to see the feedback, particularly when there’s something actionable (e.g. unhappiness over the name IE7+ for Vista http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/08/04/688899.aspx)

(And for what it’s worth, I’ve seen plenty of great feedback from PatriotB, so please aim that flamethrower with care. 🙂

12. Jim says:

Not wanting to troll or anything, but as a web developer I’m *much* more interested in web standards than chrome. Please get the core right – finish implementing CSS1, implement more of CSS2 and maybe some of CSS3, then I’ll be interested in "chrome"

13. Ron says:

@SicknTired, I criticised the article because it sounds like the author is trying to sell IE7 based on the (in)significance of addons. And I don’t come here to flame MS, I’m actually interested in software and web development, the IEBlog usually has useful information. FYI, I read my RSS feeds from Thunderbird.

@EricLaw, have I tried any of those addons? No. I don’t use IE, I have a spellchecker, I’ve used gestures before but find they don’t help much, StumbleUpon is a cross browser addon which I don’t need, WL is not for me either.

I use 13 FF extensions and they’re all damn useful, I have 1 addon for IE6 which is the Developer toolbar, this toolbar does provide some help however it’s still very basic and awkward to use.

Furthermore, I honestly don’t feel safe downloading any IE addons unless they’re recommended by someone on the IE team, but the addon has to be useful to me.

14. DR_DREW says:

I still hope in future releases it takes much less time to initially load IE when I double click it’s icon on my desktop. I’d like my homepage to pop up a lot faster. Speed all around would be nice. Otherwise, I love IE7.

15. chem says:

—-

—-

Does someone at microsoft actually bother to read the reviews, and determine wether they are correct and thus remove malicious software?

I headed for ieaddons.com, click "design" and then headed for "CGToolbar" – first hit, and it’s spyware. The comment there have been there for over a month, indicating it’s spyware, yet it remains promoted by microsoft as a add-on for IE.

How can this happen?

On another note, improving IE7’s rendering engine and standards support would prove far more usefull for me. Making extentions/add-on’s as easy to create as with firefox, would be a great idea as well.

16. qbert cakes says:

Are there any addons that force ie to respect web standards?

17. Jim Vaglia says:

I understood the final release of IE 7 was supposed to come out this week, where is it?

18. Aedrin says:

I think people don’t understand that "respecting" web standards (recommendations) isn’t a simple typo fix or a quick change of a configuration value.

This entry in the blog is merely there to inform users of some add-ons that they find useful. It is not to tell you they have worked hard to get these to work.

Also, to those who complain about the release schedule, read the blog before you comment. Their plans have already been mentioned numerous times.

And I agree that there is no point to follow every new entry with "but browser X already had feature Y years ago, you suck". It is not helpful, and is not constructive…

19. D-Arb says:

Some constructive critism. Security wise, the fact that your extensions install using third party software means you have no tap on what the install script will do, you may or may not get a security warning that an external program is going to change your browser, and you may or may not install malicious code. There is no secure connection between your addons server and me, and no certificate based security of the potentially harmful addons.

As much as you promote addons you do not provide the infrastructure for people to host them (properly, with version control etc.), comment and assist easily for "free" addons. Your addons page is ignorant of licenses which are pre-written to cater for various situations (free-non-commercial, or open source, or free and open source)

The reason Firefox is so powerful, and is a good thorn in your side, and always will be, is the fact that their extensions are powerful, human readable, and can be downloaded, changed, extended, and users of their addons facilities understand the language of changesets.

For sure, it is the power of the open source community, and it is one microsoft cannot endorse too heavily because it would be a PR nightmare. One thing the open source world is good and bad at is community. Firefox is good, and will always be better than IE because it strikes a good balance between core and community, including and not limited to the strcuture of their addons. Firefox, is a viewer for a render engine.

What development environment do you need to write addons for IE? XUL happens to require a text editor, on any platform. XUL can be executed with low-privledges (and a clear privledge seperation) in the browser (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Amazon_Browser in a XUL capable browser)

Does the language IE’s addons use have that capability? is it growing to support multiple scripting languages to manipulate it’s DOM? Unfortunately having to privledge ISVs over individuals who are keen to get their hands dirty in the code means you cut off the long tail. Firefox found fertile ground in that very place, and it is quickly challenged your position. You can copy it’s features, and claim they are nifty, but power users (who happen to be the same people who install software on their average-user-friends computers) are the ones who write powerful plugins, without agenda, and choose the best product, not the one with the most marketting. It is nice to see that for windows XP and below firefox is on the same playingfield as IE, a level one, not one shoving products down autoupdate pipes.

Also consider the increasing heterogenity of office networks, which product makes sense? the one that works on Windows, or the one that works on Everything. Put yourself in the shoes of the trusty sysadmin who has to choose between supporting two products on different operating systems. Consider the user at home who can download, for free, with source, a browser that implements helpers for every online service he/she uses (the hint here is that it isn’t firefox i am talking about, but it’s cousin), not worrying that the maker of that flavour of the browser is capturing their usage over all the services, but knowing that it was made by his/her peers for him/her. IE is rapidly going getting down to the 50% market share, where suddenly you have to worry about what users are actually asking for, instead of what you think they need.

I am glad IE has come as far as it has, and it is nice to know you read critism. But start talking more candidly about how your product is following others, or how your product provides benefits to someone who has been at the mercy of your own hegemony on your users. Mozilla is the underdog who learn’t that there are lots of people who are also unhappy about the bullies, and it turns out they want to hang out with him, and use services of their choice, and languages of their choice, and laugh at the bullies who still drive their 15 year old sports cars, sporting their 15 year old jackets, and their 15 year old girlfriends, and keep trying to tell the world their lame ideas of how cool school was, and how cool it still is.

Are you implementing the next generation of languages and tools that everyone is discussing, together, in an open platform, or are you talking about it behind closed doors, and releasing code which you deem "will improve your desktop experience"? Call marketing marketing, and candid discussion candid discussion. Mozilla has people who leave unhappy, and they have their say on the same public forums that we get told about new features. It’s identifiable. It is community. Tell us you are having a bad day, tell us about your new team in india and how happy everyone is, but tell us how you are impressed with the competitors features, I know public open source projects tell us where their features were inspired from.

20. Boris Yeltsin says:

Thanks for the tip about IESpell. It’s going to be very handy for our customer support team.

What we’re lacking is a serious amount of example code. We need Microsoft to provide some proper .NET example solutions for different toolbar features. We need Microsoft to provide a decent solution to debugging and testing them.

Until this happens it’s too hard for most developers to bother.

21. hAl says:

@EricLaw

This site seems to show a lot of bugs still left in IE7 rendering for supported CSS items in IE7.

It is not so much the red item which are not supported in IE7 as we already understand that not all of CSS will be supported. However the tables also show a lot of yellow items that are showing incomplete support for CSS 2.1 for items IE7 should really support so can be considered bugs. When hovering over the yellow cells the incomplete support is explained so it is quite handy to see what support is missing still from IE7.

These tables seems also the basis for a slashdotted article about IE7 only supporting 54% of CSS 2.1 properties (a fairly dismal score to say the least)

22. Fduch says:

How can programm that can invoke DOS attack on user’s system BY DESIGN can be called browser?

23. Aedrin says:

"IE is rapidly going getting down to the 50% market share, where suddenly you have to worry about what users are actually asking for, instead of what you think they need."

1. http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2006/July/browser.php

1% over 1 year equals rapid?

2. I don’t think you can imagine the amount of money Microsoft puts in usability testing, with good results. Most of these things you would never notice simply because of how natural things can be in the user interface. I’m pretty sure that they already cater to what their users want. Why else do you think that it takes so long to release updates or make any large scale changes? Their users want compatibility, not fancy plugins.

At least IE7 is not IE6 with a few small features that few people want/use and hardly any updates to warrent a new version, ex: Firefox 2. Firefox 2 is one step closer in Browser War II as it was in Browser War I.

24. Fduch says:

@Aedrin You lost the point.

How can you justify that IE developement stopped for many-years?

And what we see now is rust covered with chrome. Now when IE7 is layout and feature complete they’re polishing this thin layer of chrome, carefully trying not to break it to dust.

25. DR_DREW says:

when i right click on a link to download it, "save target as" is not a selectable option…

why?

how is that helpful?

26. Aedrin says:

I didn’t comment on the stagnation in development for IE6. I don’t work at Microsoft so I can’t give you a reason – nor justification – for any lack of updates during all that time.

I think one of the reasons is that for quite some time there was no reason to release a new version. Besides security related issues of course, which can be fixed with minor updates.

Like I said, I can’t and don’t provide a justification, but in my opinion it wasn’t this evil scheme that many portray it to be. All large companies have some form of "corruption" due to several unavoidable factors. It is easy to paint a grim picture for a large public company such as Microsoft, but I believe that you can find similar situations in other companies as well.

Electronic Arts anyone?

27. cooperpx says:

"Most users are familiar with toolbars, but many don’t realize the breadth of the add-ons available for Internet Explorer."

Yet another IEBlog post pushing http://www.ieaddons.com? The C|NET download site for IE7? The one that contains no mechanism to report spyware / malware / virus / wrong category / not an addon / nothing to do with IE7?

Please stop what you are doing and go here: "Developer Tools"

Aside from that being embarrassing, keep that in mind for the following.

Mark, I’m not sure if you recall a similar software linking / download adventure with IIS in mid 1996. Back then, Microsoft was interested in developing a grass-roots community for IIS and accepted software download submissions, not unlike this one.

Microsoft had a fantastic idea, but was short lived because there wasn’t enough commitment to trim and manage all the garbage that got flooded their way. The grass-roots community choked on its own weeds because there weren’t enough gardeners.

Every shareware developer out there saw this as a new place to get their software listed, even though it has nothing to do with IIS or "just barely". I can see this *is* happening again, this time with C|NET.

28. Fady Anwar says:

Very great news that i’ve been waiting for from such a very long time

but the question is there is an available sdk to develop such add-ons? and if not where it’s gonna be realeased? and where to find a how-to make such great add-ons?

29. PatriotB says:

SicknTired – definitely don’t aim the flamethrower at me.  I’m not a Firefox fan.  I don’t use Firefox on my main computer; I have it installed on a secondary computer for the sole purpose of testing my web site in Firefox.

I am a definitely a fan of IE — I have developed Windows apps that do awesome things based on IE technologies.  I support the team and their efforts going forward.

That said, I don’t hesitate to tell the team when they’re doing something boneheaded (like the 7+ fiasco).  But surely my post above is not an example of that.

Many of my comments are correcting falsehoods and misconceptions that other people post in the comments.

30. spring says:

I think it is good.(http://www.beijingxiezilou.com)if you are interesting,p0lease click this website.

31. Fduch says:

Developer Tools

Get an edge and save time with tools, programs and utilities to help speed your development processes

Fetalculator by  Iamyoursinginggadgetgram  Read Reviews

Dial in the expected gender of your baby. Dial in the reference date. Dial in month, day and year of your reference date. After you press the ‘Fetaculate’ button, you will be transported to the ‘Resul … more…

Price: FREE Downloads: 261 Download  – 1.1 MB

Developers! Developers! Developers!

Pathetic clownes….

32. hAl says:

@Fduch

I can’t understand why someone won’t develope code faster and better when having a gadgetgram singing to him or her. It must be inspiring !!!

😉

33. Taylor Kemp says:

The spell checker addon is pretty good, but vista should include a common spell checker/dictionary/thesaurus application that can be used to spell check anything, and ties in to the library for office and speech recognition so i do not have to keep adding words to each one like my name which it usually says is mispelled Kemp, it thinks its camp cramp kemo, i have to add it to this spell checker, office spell checker and speech recognition spell checker-infuriating

34. Brad Brening says:

My two cents.  I, too, have visited ieaddons.com, and found that it is simply nothing more than a huge collection of junk.  Junk that I would never attempt to install on my computer.

Here’s the problem with IE’s "addon" model.

First off, they "install" in such a way that 3rd party (executable) junk can be installed on your machine.  This is BAD.

Secondly, they are too difficult to develop.  One of my favorite FF extensions is called "Farky", which will dynamically style the current (Fark) document based on my settings.  I’m sure this wasn’t easy to develop, but creating something similar for IE would be a heck of a lot more difficult.

Until these two issues are addressed, I don’t see a huge market for these "addons".  Too many people are wary of the process – either from the user that has to install the addon, or the developer that has an idea for one that faces the daunting task of creating it.

35. What I really want is an addon that will disable those annoying Flash ads which loom when a page loads, and also those miserable javascript menus which follow me when I scroll up and down on a page.  God I hate those…

IE7 is by far the nicest browser I’ve ever used.  I am very happy guys – thank You Microsoft!

36. Xepol says:

I haven’t met the addon I couldn’t live without, EXCEPT for the google toolbar, which, oddly, does not seem to be in the gallery.

Heck, if IE had better inpage searches like you can do with the google toolbar, I wouldn’t even bother to install IT either.

( I just love the way I can highlight search terms and search in page so easily.  Shame the MS toolbar sucks Sooooo badly at it in comparison, and the built in search is so bad, it defies belief )

37. headdieok says:

I have IE7 on my desktop and I HATE it. I was duped into installing it by Microsoft as a BETA user and was told it had an un-install feature. BS! Now I can’t get rid of it! It bogs down my box and I can’t use Quick Time player in my Yahoo sessoins. These are just a few reasons why I want rid of it. There are more. BTW, I am not a dedicated Firefox fan, I just don’t want IE7. Anyone know where the real un-install button is so I can get rid of this pain in the neck proto?

38. Fduch says:

My opinion is that MS doesn’t was add-ons/extensions to be safe.

They presented the safe/unsafe to the developers and still

Not only IE enables using unsafe controls by default. But it doesn’t allow writing safe managed code for IE.

The "examples" of developing managed IE addons are nothing. Thay just show that you CAN write managed extensions that are rather safe. There is no way to enforce it, so it’s meaningless.

That’s like putting a big label in IE that says "Please don’t overflow our buffers. There are examples of how not to overflow buffers at http://bla.bla"

39. Mark Harris says:

The response to this blog post has been great — mostly constructive ;-).  I want to address a few points:

o  for CGToolbar and spyware in general, the ieaddons site depends on CNET downloads.com for spyware and virus detection.  In response to your comment above, we downloaded and scanned it ourselves as well as at CNET and neither group found it to be spyware.

o  for the mis-categorized addons, we realize there are shortcomings in the model we have today and are working to correct the site and the processes we use to populate it.

o  for managed code addons, there is a project on codeproject.com called "dotnetbandobjects" (http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/dotnetbandobjects.asp).  We recognize the need for good managed code samples and we are working to produce them for the MSDN IE documentation.

40. Nils says:

Ough, remove those ugly "javascript:__doPostBack(…);" next-page-buttons from ieaddons.com!

41. SebastianP says:

Good work guys but I have some comments, which I hope will be addressed or at least thought about

1. The UI really needs work. I know for a fact you guys can do better. Some of us still like having a file menu, yet it now appears below the buttons and looks terrible. Pretty much every other MS product allows one to drag any toolbar (including the file menu) around so please give us this option. All the buttons look shocking, including the look of the tabs. This is unacceptable. They look like something that came out of Windows 3.1. Surely there is a reason why we have these fancy graphics cards, which allow more than 256 colours. They really need to be redone with more detail. One of the better UI to have ever come out of MS is the Visual Studio .NET interface. Surely some ideas could be “stolen” from there?

2. Performance needs re-work and improvement. I am running a 3.4 GHZ cpu with 2gb’s of memory and I wouldn’t dare to install IE 7 on my significantly slower laptop. The worst is when one tries to switch tabs. I usually click on a link and click on another tab to continue working/reading whilst the other page loads. But in general use I have found that switching from one tab to another whilst the current tab has just started to load does not give a response. This is extremely frustrating. Why should all of my other tabs suffer just because the one tab is loading in a page and executing scripts? I don’t know the exact architecture of how you have implemented the tabs and I am too lazy to find out (I cannot begin to imagine what the 52 threads running in my ie7 right now are possibly doing but I digress) but surely it’s not impossible to have the UI to be running in one thread and all the other tabs as separate threads so that if one of them is struggling to cope with the current execution load it does not kill the whole browser or render it unresponsive.

3. When will the “stop” button actually be fixed and made to really “stop” loading. Surely I am not the only who has noticed this issue which harks back from the days of previous versions of IE. I was once a programmer and wrote many back-end server as well as front-end applications. Most of the products we created employed the use of xml, xsl and xslt and we would use the explorer com control in many of our front-end applications for display purposes. Hence I know that the associated function to “stop” does not work at this level and needs to re-worked at the implementation level. Why is it so difficult to actually stop the connection and current processing? Surely one should just be aborting a thread from doing any work? If I can write an application in C# or C++ which processes and validates very large XML files in a background “worker” thread which I have full control over and can stop anytime the user presses “Abort” without hang-ups then surely you guys should be able to do the same for the “Stop” button?

I am sorry if some of my comments seem harsh but they really are meant to be just constructive criticism.

Regards,

42. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@cooperpx: Good feedback.  We’re working to do better, and this post is the very beginning of our efforts to highlight the best stuff.

43. @miniplayer.info:

>What I really want is an addon that will disable those annoying Flash ads which loom when a page loads, and also those miserable javascript menus which follow me when I scroll up and down on a page.  God I hate those…

I have developed a free toolbar that allows you to opt out of online advertisement if ads disturb you: http://www.quero.at/

Viktor

44. Bramha2 says:

Hi,

I must first congratulate you on your great job with the product. I apologize for this posting in a random area.  I need your help..

IE7’s Popup blocker is broken,  It was working perfectly until recenlty.  Windows Defender spyware does not detect any problems.

Basically I turn on the Popup blocker, something turns it off ( the Popup allowed icon shows up)… however if I go to tools and check the popup blocker it appears to be on.. because the only option i have is "turn off popup blocker".

I’m getting swamped, someone figured out how to break your popup blocker.  I checked online and no one else seems to have reported a problem with IE7’s Beta2/3’s popup blocker?

Could you guy’s looks into this…  this could turn out to be a big issue for the user community.

45. Superman says:

IE7 need a plug in like http://urandom.ca/nosquint/

nosquint lets you save the size the text on each web site. So like lets say you like viewing microsoft.com with "Medium" and maybe you like viewing yahoo in "Larger" with this tool everytime you go to those site each will remember the text size.

IE needs something like this!

46. IEBlog says:

Hi there, it’s Max again, and with the availability of our first release candidate (RC1) build of IE7,…

47. With InfoPath Forms Services, you can take powerful InfoPath forms, and allow users to fill them out

48. With InfoPath Forms Services, you can take powerful InfoPath forms, and allow users to fill them out

49. Whijo.net says:

Originally posted here I see how you did that, making it sound like the chrome in IE is like the chrome in firefox. Bookmark/Search this post with:

Skip to main content