A New Blogfather is Born

Hello everyone,

I wanted to let the readers of the IEBlog know that the torch is being passed today on the blog. A fellow program manager, Anurag Jain, is taking over running the day to day activity and moderation duties that keep this blog going on the IE team. You should expect to see posts and comments from him in the future as the official moderator (or “Blogfather” as we call it) for the IEBlog. Please treat him with the love and affection that you have shown me. 🙂

Today is my last day at Microsoft after almost nine years of working at the company. I started in 1997 working on IE4 and have spent much of my career at Microsoft working on either IE or MSN Explorer. My wife and I have made a decision to move to the Bay Area, where she grew up, to be close to family and as part of an overall lifestyle change for us. We’re both in our mid-thirties now and want to shake things up a bit by moving to another part of the country and experiencing a new life there. My coworkers on IE have been 100% supportive of my making this decision and I still believe that IE7 is going to be a great browser and a real move forward for Microsoft and its customers. It is just time for me to do something different for myself.

I want to thank our readers for the comments and the time people have spent on the blog. I’ve enjoyed working on it and I’ve enjoyed talking to our regular commenters such as PatriotB, Xepol, Fiery Kitsune and others. I’m sure that I will still comment here on occasion but I will being doing it in a personal capacity as another IE customer.

– Al

1. Sean says:

Good luck, Al. We will all miss you. 🙂

2. Nikhil says:

Good luck big boy. What’s your next step?

3. AC says:

Seattle to San Francisco isn’t really a "shake up". More like.. "a lower latitude".

4. Adam A says:

Good luck, Al. We appreciate all of your hard work with IE, and wish you the best!

5. Nikhil,

I am going to be a QA Lead again at a smaller startup in California.

I’m also considering working on a PhD after I finish my current Master’s work in Humanities (I start my thesis writing for my MA in a couple of months).

6. Dominic Self says:

Good luck, and thanks especially for your work on the IE section of Microsoft Connect 🙂 You’ve done a great job responding to bug reports over there.

7. Sad to see you go, Al. Good luck on your thesis, PhD, family, etc..

And welcome, Anurag Jain!

8. Richard says:

Al. good luck, you did a great work in the IE team.

9. war59312 says:

Ouch, that sucks to see you go.

But I’m sure it’s for the best.

Have a great one buddy and see ya around.

Take Care,

10. Soum says:

Wish u all the best Al. Take care. Bye

11. UnexpectedBill says:

Well, good luck in your future plans and doings. It’s been an interesting read since I came here a while ago to lobby for a Win2k port of IE7. 🙂

(Of course, I’m still planning to read and maybe even comment on what the IE team is up to.)

12. Best of luck to you Al.

13. Fduch says:

Good luck, Al. (-:

14. Verdefruto says:

All goods for you, Al.

15. doglady says:

I worked with a couple up in WA who worked at Microsoft.  They were good friends.  I moved to SF bay area, and I’m glad I did.  I couldn’t take the grey days up there, too many of them for me.  I’m in the redwoods now, loving every minute of it.  IE is my favorite, I’ve tried quite a few, but always come back to IE.  Good luck on your move!

16. Sadowskin says:

Salvator Dali said:

"Goodbye is the beginning of a memory."

We won’t forget you wherever you’re going.

Good luck and thanx for everything!

17. Fiery Kitsune says:

Aw man Al… SAY IT AIN’T SO!

18. Sandi says:

Good luck to you Al.  Enjoy.

19. Xepol says:

Dang, sorry to see you go Al, you helped make this whole process a great experience and made us all feel like our voice was heard and headed!

I look forward to chatting with Anurag in future in the IE blogs, but those are mighty big shoes to fill!

Enjoy the change of life, and I hope it works out for you!

20. PatriotB says:

Wow, had to pick my jaw up twice–one, seeing that you are leaving, and another to see my name signaled out.  Thanks for all of your work, both over the years toward the IE product, and for the work on this blog.  Also, for getting the public bug database up and running.

We’ll miss you, be sure to drop in and say hi now and then 🙂  Best of luck to you in your new endeavors!  And welcome, Anurag!

21. srinivas says:

we all miss you…

any how enjoy the future…

22. Michael says:

Thanks for your hard work!

23. Good luck in all your future endeavours Al 🙂

24. Nikhil says:

Fantastic Al, good lucky with that. PhD’s aren’t easy but i’m sure you’ll love it!! 😉

25. Fiery Kitsune says:

(I just realized that I was mentioned in the blog post… I’m one of the less webdev-oriented bloggers, but my expertise is studying the "dark side" of the IE7 beta culture.)

Al Billings, we will all miss you greatly! Rest assured, the IEBlog is safe in Anurag’s hands. Good luck in your future endeavours!

26. cooperpx says:

Good luck Al!

I hope everything works out fantastic for you and the Mrs. Thanks for all the hard work and helping to make IE the #1 browser on the planet.

27. hAl says:

Good luck in the bay area Al.

Changing the rain for fog I guess 😉

28. angelo says:

good luck al and will miss you.Hope happyness follow you and family whereever youre going.bye

29. I wish you and your wife all the best. SF Bay Area, California is certainly also a very interesting place to live and work. Good luck!

30. mikx says:

I have been in the position of moving out of a job/company i really liked and where i spent the majority of my career. The song "life of my own" from 3 Doors Down has been the "soundtrack" for that period of my life. Give it a try when you like rock – or just read the lyrics 😉

Good luck for you!

31. Steve says:

If you are moving to the Bay Area… you might want to check out a small firm in Silicon Valley called Mountain View.  There’s a wee company there that is on the cutting edge of Web Development, and "Search". 🙂

If you’re not sure who it is, try Googling it.

32. name says:

Blogfather — isn’t this a bit sexist? 😉

33. C'est moi! says:

Now, don’t be getting all p.c. on us ‘name’! The blogfather is the Godfather…geddit???

34. You will like down here. I live about30 minutes east of the City on the Delta in Oakley. It has been Sunny and about 85 all week, so you will have to get used to no rain. but you will get the coldest winter during summer in the City.

Good luck

35. OK so this has nothing whatsoever to do with Security but it’s Friday afternoon and I want to share with…

36. Wick says:

Goodbye, hello and welcome lol 🙂

37. Mike Bennett says:

I like the new look, however I don’t like the security comment that I have to conitnually click past – "Your security setting level puts your computer at risk". It’s very annoying and unnecessary after one or two logins. Can it be turned off?

38. tushar says:

tushar tested this

39. Alrighty. So we lose Scoble, we lose BillG (in two years). One of my community mentors, Olivier Ribet, …