Mix Sessions and IE Video now Online

This morning there are some new sessions and videos available that feature the IE team.

All of the Mix06 conference sessions are now available online. There are some great sessions to check out including the following ones from the IE team:

Also Channel 9 just posted a video where Markus Mielke and Yin Xie who work on the CSS area discuss the work in IE7. They explain what has been done in IE7 for CSS and some of the challenges presented when existing web content relies on bugs in IE6 that are now addressed.

Thanks
-Dave

1. Ron says:

Sorry but that video is very depressing.

"Hey! See it works, we fixed a CSS bug! OMG"

"Watch this! You can actually see that we removed a bug from IE!"

It’s really great though guys, you managed to fix nearly every single bug that was reported on positioniseverything.net. 16 out of 17, that’s really something to be proud of.

Now you can boast that you nearly offer as much CSS support as other browsers, you’re really getting this off the ground.

But really

2. PatriotB says:

Any chance you can get the Mix06 and Channel 9 sites to use the ActiveX workaround so we don’t have to click to activate the vids? ;)

3. Steve says:

Torrent links for the videos?…

OMG the Lag is terrible!

Seriously, 2006 here folks!

4. Steve says:

Best Quote ever!!

"IE6 is the new Netscape 4"

Totally hit the mark!  This is why we (the Developers) are so keen to see MS get IE7 in shape.

Its about 49% of the way there, so keep up the good work!

5. Great resource!  Thanks for putting these up!

One suggestion – can you make them also available as audiocasts?

6. Ralph says:

In future, can you kill the garbage wrapping the video?  It really makes the size bloat up, and just points out how small the screen res of the video is.

v.annoying;

7. Molly C says:

"One of the most profitable corporations in the world has nearly caught up to Opera and Mozilla."

Of course, Microsoft may be more profitable than Mozilla and Opera, but we don’t know what the respective budgets they allocate to their browsers is.  Goolge might very well be pouring more money into Mozilla than Microsoft is into IE. ;-)

(I also read that Google pays for most of Opera’s development with the cash they paid to make Opera’s default search engine Google.)

8. Dao says:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file. One or more codecs required to play the file could not be found."

9. After a couple of seconds the video freezes and I just get the audio. The same thing happens if I grab the stream’s URL and open it directly in WMP. Not particularly useful.

Any chance of making the files available for download? I’ve got a 2 Mbps connection just sitting there at the moment… might as well use it.

10. I don’t want to watch a video (especially after seeing the probs some people are having with it), but I do want to know what the team has to say about IE7. Any chance of posting transcripts?

11. john jones says:

I don’t want to watch a video I want to read…

12. ReadIsForSquirells says:

I don’t want to read text I want it in braille…

13. Xepol says:

"Acid 2 is not the litmus test for compliance"

No, true, however, you’ll never fully pass the litmus test for compliance without passing acid 2.

Go figure.

14. Send some comments over to the Windows Media Player folks, I dislike WMP waiting to continue downloading a video once I hit the end of the buffer. I have my buffer set to one minute and so every end of every minute I have to sit there waiting at the screen while it decides to restart downloading the video. It is like it does not trust me to actually watch much of the video.

For example if I decide I’m going to watch the Daily Show at Comedy Central’s website I actually open various builds of Opera 9 and in each build open one of the videos. That way all the videos actually fully download. This lets me switch windows and thus videos and watch them (after my food is done) without buffer interruption.

Since Firefox has been crashing occasionally I’ll just post this for now and perhaps later post what I thought of the videos. In the least thank you for posting them. It’s interesting to watch Markus Mielke talk about IE7 even with buffer interruption.

15. Matt says:

First of all i know that this not go here but the comments on the topic for this was locked.But here goes:

When i installed KB# 912812 it kept giving me the click to active and use this control and on my website i use a jukebox and it was giving me 10 of these pop-ups. So i uninstalled the KB# 912812 update and now my website is fine i suggest you either get rid of this update or fix it all together so we don’t get the click to active and use this control before other people uninstall the update as well.

Again sorry that this was off topic but it had to be said and the topic for it was disabled.

16. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@Matt: The prompt is by-design.  See http://msdn.microsoft.com/ieupdate for information on how to easily update your website so that this UI does not appear.

17. Matt says:

Sorry that this was off topic.But here goes.

That did not tell me what i need to add or where i need to add it.It was just a understanding of it.If the answer is in that you need to say something.It did not tell me what to add.Nor did it tell me where to add it.

Also if you forgot the problem poped up after i let my pc install the KB#912812 update.

18. Tony A - UK says:

I must say that I’m really impressed with the IE7 and Windows Defender betas. I have used IE7 for a few weeks now without any problems, and I have used Defender to successfully clean spyware infected end-user PCs at work.

Add IE7 protected mode with Vista and even our most ‘click happy’ end-users will be protected from harmful software!

Anything which makes the Helpdesk’s job easier works for me.

19. cwilso says:

Xepol – Which compliance test?

Actually, it’s quite possible to support everything in CSS2.1, but still fail the Acid 2 test.  As an example.

-Chris Wilson

20. Nathan says:

Since IE7 Beta is primarily of interest to developers and it is … well, Beta, it would be really nice to have an install that did not replace existing installations of IE6.  Those of us who must ensure the cross-browser functionality of our work would like to do so in both browsers.  I can’t replace my development machine’s IE6 installation with IE7 (which, incidentally, hangs on my machine for lord-only-knows what reason and so is almost unusable anyway).

I appreciate your work /toward/ CSS compliance, etc., but I can’t say that anything you’ve shown me so far instills me with confidence.

21. Jeff Handley says:

I watched the "Future of IE" video and it was pretty good in some parts.  I may watch some of the…

22. IEBlog says:

We are currently locking down IE7 for shipping and I wanted to give an update on the CSS work that…