Where are my tabs?

My name is John Hrvatin and I’m the Program Manager for IE setup.

Some customers have reported that after successfully completing IE7 setup, they do not have a tab band.  I’d like to shed some light on this issue and offer a solution.

IE’s tab implementation depends on xmllite.dll which is installed with IE7 but through a separate installer bundled within the IE setup process.  If you extract the contents of the IE7 installation package and run update.exe directly, you will skip this step which results in having no xmllite.dll and thus no tabs.  You can be sure this is the problem if you do not have either of the log files creating during installation of xmllite.dll:

• %windir%KB914783.log (for Server 2003)
  • %windir%KB915865.log (for XP)

Note: %windir% is your Windows directory and usually located at C:Windows.

The solution is to uninstall and reinstall, making sure to run the full setup program by executing the installation package as downloaded and not by running update.exe directly.  You’ve likely done something incorrect if you don’t see UI like this:

Welcome to Windows Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2

Thanks for trying IE7 and keep sending your feedback!

John Hrvatin

1. Alex Lein says:

ah HA!  thank you!

2. Alex says:

Or run the xmllitesetup.exe from the same folder as where you’ve run update.exe from…

3. Chirag says:

Thanks again.

Thanks,

Chirag

4. jace says:

Could someone from the IE team blog about the offline mode?

Why is there an offline mode if offline favorites and pages are gone?

Also, when in offline mode, i can’t even get to the feeds…. I thought they were stored locally??

Thanks

5. Eduardo Valencia says:

Ok,i knew that from long ago,and i’ve detected a bug when IE7 is without tabs,it seems that when i open IE,and goes to the main page,a rectangular empty box is between the bar and the webpage,i want to add a acreenshot but i don’t know how,the only way to take it out is maximizing the windows (i rarely use IE maximized on all screen).

My email is eduardval@hotmail.com

hope u got intrested

6. TC says:

Unfortunately for me the suggestion/fix for tab browsing has not succeeded. I’ve found the KB915865.log file and it’s states the following errors:

5.047: KB915865 Setup encountered an error:  The  update.ver file is not correct.

5.187: KB915865 Setup encountered an error:  The  update.ver file is not correct.

6.297: LoadFileQueues: UpdSpGetSourceFileLocation for halaacpi.dll failed: 0xe0000102

6.391: LoadFileQueues: UpdSpGetSourceFileLocation for halaacpi.dll failed: 0xe0000102

11.812: GetCatVersion:  Failed to retrieve version information from C:WINDOWSsystem32CatRoot{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}KB915865.cat with error 0x57

Please advise….

TC

7. John Hrvatin [MSFT] says:

TC: Those errors are expected.  Can you share the entire log file or attach it to a bug opened through http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/support/default.mspx?

Eduardo: is one of the log files I mentioned on your machine?  Do you see xmllite.dll in your Windowssystem32 directory?  You may also want to open a bug through the link above.

Thanks.

John

8. Roland says:

John,

Thank you for helping us regarding this issue. Much appreciated!

BTW, the black borders around the Cancel and Next buttons of the setup wizard are very ugly. I’ve seen many users complain about this ("looks strange", "seems still very unfinished" etc.). Hope you’ll improve this for Beta 3.

9. Rex says:

Hi John,

Doesn’t the fact that you have to explain to users the "correct" way to install the program, show that there is unnecessary confusion in the process?

I believe the install system should be changed such that there is only one distinct point of entry so that this confusion doesn’t occur and a KB article is not required.

Is my logic flawed, or will this be changed before IE 7 goes into production?

-Xerxes

10. Chuck Schumm says:

I have no quick tabs.  I have xmllite.dll in my windows/system32/ directory and the log file is in my windows folder.  Yet no quick tabs.  I am at a loss.  Other then not able to display the quick tabs IE7 appears to be running well.

Any help?

Chuck

11. PatriotB says:

Rex,

I don’t see any "unnecessary confusion."  The user downloads a single EXE, and runs it.

If people go scavengering around in the temporary extracted files, then things are bound to go wrong.

12. Nick says:

(sorry for my english… i speak spanish)

i have the same problem days ago, but i fix with the ieframe.dll file, because when i install ie7 another application is used this file, so i close that application and reinstall ie7

So, close all applications before upgrade to ie7

Cheers!

13. ieblog says:

Rex,

The installer is a single file. This may not be the cause in every case but the direct common cause of the issue here is that people will take the .exe apart and manually run files instead of letting the installer do it.

So, this is actually a response to an unsupported activity. Unfortunately, there may be other causes as well but we are investigating.

– Al Billings [MSFT]

14. Saad says:

Hi

i want to know why FireFox is

Faster

Steeler

Drasticer

and…

even Ie cant save pages correct and fast. and some times cant save a simple page. FireFox save all at .001 seconds.

Why?

FireFox is daily to up. and similar an AntiVirus gettings up.

better Download Manager…

and……

….

…………..

Why? get some Help. or you can be associate with them.

15. ChapterOne says:

>i want to know why FireFox is

>Faster

I would debate this…

Steeler

Drasticer

What on earth do these words mean?

>FireFox is daily to up. and similar >an AntiVirus gettings up.

I’m not even going to try and figure out what that means…

And the team have already said a download manager is something for the next version.

16. Tom says:

Now, don’t get me wrong, i like FireFox. (however, i’m more prone to IE for scripting reasons) Firefox is,yes less error prone than IE in some cases, but fast it is not. When firefox renders images and table segments, it slows down. Pages tent to appear faster in IE than in firefox. That is a fact. Also, if you are a webdesigner, you may also notice that table designs don’t quite appear correctly in firefox. They work, and aren’t really that noticble, but it still happens.

17. Chuck Schumm says:

For the record I loaded firefox 3 times from the single file downloaded from the MS web site yet I have never seen the tabs in each attempt to load IE7.  Like I stated earlier the xmllite.dll file is in my system32 folder and the KB915865.log file is in my cwindows folder.  Yet no matter what I do quick tabs are not displayed.

Any help will be appreciated.

Chuck

18. Grace says:

IE 7 looks like mighty tool.

19. seantc1976 says:

I have a problem with the window that has my tabs with it, everytime I open a new winow, it closes on me, it is only on the laptop the PC is ok with it. Any ideas?

20. Bruce Morgan [MSFT] says:

Chuck, the best way for us to help you would b e to send us an email via the contact form.

Please include the log files

ie7beta2_main.log

ie7beta2.log

KB915865.log

21. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@SeanTC1976: Is your laptop running Google Desktop Search?  That tool has a bug that causes crashes when new tabs are opened.

22. Chuck says:

I cannot find out how to send an email for IE7, I only see IE6.  Anyway, I have no quick tabs in IE7 Beta2 – they never have shown up.  No matter what I do I cannot get them to appear.  I ran the correct installer 3 times and still no quick tabs.  I have xmllite.dll file in my system32 folder and the KB915865.log file is in my cwindows folder.  Yet no matter what I do quick tabs are not displayed.  I just want to pass this along as there must be something else at work here causing quick tabs to not show up.  When I downloaded "Beta2 Preview" the quicktabs did show up like they are suppose to, but not in this recent Beta2 download.  I don’t know why I said firefox in my previous post – I must have spaced out for a moment.

Thanks…

Chuck

23. TC says:

John,

Thanks for replying….

I still can not see the tabs in IE7.

The contents of my KB915865.log file are:

[KB915865.log]

1.922: ================================================================================

1.922: 2006/05/01 23:15:07.343 (local)

1.922: c:bc70049a8058348ba7561f0d24updateupdate.exe (version 6.2.29.0)

1.922: Hotfix started with following command line: /quiet /norestart /er /log:C:WINDOWS

3.234: In Function TestVolatileFlag, line 11873, RegOpenKeyEx failed with error 0x2

3.234: In Function TestVolatileFlag, line 11905, RegOpenKeyEx failed with error 0x2

3.234: DoInstallation: CleanPFR failed: 0x2

3.281: SetProductTypes: InfProductBuildType=BuildType.IC

3.281: SetAltOsLoaderPath: No section uses DirId 65701; done.

3.328: DoInstallation: FetchSourceURL for c:bc70049a8058348ba7561f0d24updateupdate_SP2QFE.inf failed

3.328: CreateUninstall = 1,Directory = C:WINDOWS$NtUninstallKB915865$

3.328: LoadFileQueues: UpdSpGetSourceFileLocation for halaacpi.dll failed: 0xe0000102

3.328: BuildCabinetManifest: update.url absent

3.344: Starting AnalyzeComponents

3.344: AnalyzePhaseZero used 0 ticks

3.344: No c:windowsINFupdtblk.inf file.

3.344: OEM file scan used 0 ticks

3.344: AnalyzePhaseOne: used 0 ticks

3.344: AnalyzeComponents: Hotpatch analysis disabled; skipping.

3.344: AnalyzeComponents: Hotpatching is disabled.

3.344: FindFirstFile c:windows$hf_mig$*.*

5.250: AnalyzeForBranching used 0 ticks.

5.266: AnalyzePhaseTwo used 16 ticks

5.266: AnalyzePhaseThree used 0 ticks

5.266: AnalyzePhaseFive used 0 ticks

5.266: AnalyzePhaseSix used 0 ticks

5.266: AnalyzeComponents used 1922 ticks

5.266: Downloading 0 files

5.266: bPatchMode = FALSE

5.266: Inventory complete: ReturnStatus=0, 1938 ticks

5.281: Num Ticks for invent : 1953

5.281: VerifyTargetFileSize: Unable to verify size as Source = NULL for file c:windowsinfHFXA.tmp

5.281: Copied file:  c:windowsinfbranches.inf

5.281: Allocation size of drive C: is 32768 bytes, free space = 44269076480 bytes

5.281: AnalyzeDiskUsage:  Skipping EstimateDiskUsageForUninstall.

5.281: Drive C: free 42218MB req: 20MB w/uninstall: NOT CALCULATED.

5.281: CabinetBuild complete

5.281: Num Ticks for Cabinet build : 0

5.281: DynamicStrings section not defined or empty.

5.297: FileInUse:: Detection disabled.

6.359: Num Ticks for Backup : 1078

6.391: Num Ticks for creating uninst inf : 32

6.391: Registering Uninstall Program for -> KB915865, KB915865 , 0x0

11.328: System Restore Point set.

11.453: Copied file:  C:WINDOWSsystem32spmsg.dll

11.781: PFE2: Not avoiding Per File Exceptions.

12.484: Copied file:  C:WINDOWSsystem32xmllite.dll

12.531: DoInstallation: Installing assemblies with source root path: c:bc70049a8058348ba7561f0d24

12.531: Num Ticks for Copying files : 6140

12.547: Num Ticks for Reg update and deleting 0 size files : 16

14.500: UpdateSpUpdSvcInf: Source [ProcessesToRunAfterReboot] section is empty; nothing to do.

14.672: RebootNecessary = 0,WizardInput = 1 , DontReboot = 1, ForceRestart = 0

1.891: ================================================================================

1.891: 2006/05/02 07:54:44.140 (local)

1.891: c:c83fcee5c2d1e5a1ebupdateupdate.exe (version 6.2.29.0)

1.891: Hotfix started with following command line: /quiet /norestart /er /log:C:WINDOWS

3.906: In Function TestVolatileFlag, line 11873, RegOpenKeyEx failed with error 0x2

3.906: In Function TestVolatileFlag, line 11905, RegOpenKeyEx failed with error 0x2

3.906: DoInstallation: CleanPFR failed: 0x2

3.938: SetProductTypes: InfProductBuildType=BuildType.IC

3.938: SetAltOsLoaderPath: No section uses DirId 65701; done.

4.000: DoInstallation: FetchSourceURL for c:c83fcee5c2d1e5a1ebupdateupdate_SP2QFE.inf failed

4.000: CreateUninstall = 0,Directory = C:WINDOWS$NtUninstallKB915865$

4.000: LoadFileQueues: UpdSpGetSourceFileLocation for halaacpi.dll failed: 0xe0000102

4.000: BuildCabinetManifest: update.url absent

4.000: Starting AnalyzeComponents

4.016: AnalyzePhaseZero used 0 ticks

4.016: No c:windowsINFupdtblk.inf file.

4.016: OEM file scan used 0 ticks

4.031: AnalyzePhaseOne: used 15 ticks

4.031: AnalyzeComponents: Hotpatch analysis disabled; skipping.

4.031: AnalyzeComponents: Hotpatching is disabled.

4.031: FindFirstFile c:windows$hf_mig$*.*

4.578: KB915865 Setup encountered an error:  The  update.ver file is not correct.

4.609: KB915865 Setup encountered an error:  The  update.ver file is not correct.

4.625: AnalyzeForBranching used 0 ticks.

4.625: AnalyzePhaseTwo used 0 ticks

4.625: AnalyzePhaseThree used 0 ticks

4.625: AnalyzePhaseFive used 0 ticks

4.656: AnalyzePhaseSix used 31 ticks

4.656: AnalyzeComponents used 640 ticks

4.656: Downloading 0 files

4.656: bPatchMode = FALSE

4.656: Inventory complete: ReturnStatus=0, 656 ticks

4.656: Num Ticks for invent : 656

4.656: VerifyTargetFileSize: Unable to verify size as Source = NULL for file c:windowsinfHFX8.tmp

4.656: Copied file:  c:windowsinfbranches.inf

4.656: Allocation size of drive C: is 32768 bytes, free space = 43932221440 bytes

4.656: Drive C: free 41897MB req: 20MB w/uninstall 0MB

4.656: CabinetBuild complete

4.656: Num Ticks for Cabinet build : 0

4.656: DynamicStrings section not defined or empty.

4.656: FileInUse:: Detection disabled.

5.656: LoadFileQueues: UpdSpGetSourceFileLocation for halaacpi.dll failed: 0xe0000102

10.906: System Restore Point set.

11.016: Copied file:  C:WINDOWSsystem32spmsg.dll

11.875: PFE2: Not avoiding Per File Exceptions.

13.766: DoInstallation: Installing assemblies with source root path: c:c83fcee5c2d1e5a1eb

13.766: Num Ticks for Copying files : 9110

13.766: Num Ticks for Reg update and deleting 0 size files : 0

13.781: UpdateSpUpdSvcInf: Source [ProcessesToRunAfterReboot] section is empty; nothing to do.

13.969: RebootNecessary = 0,WizardInput = 1 , DontReboot = 1, ForceRestart = 0

24. TC says:

Chuck,

I too have the same issue with tabs. I also downloaded the previous Beta release and the tabs worked fine.

I wonder if the previous version has corrupted the XP registry in some way and is preventing the latest version from correctly dealing with ieframe.dll and xmllite.dll.

Can the IE7 project team advise….

25. Fiery Kitsune says:

Just a heads up to the IE Team…

Remember when I asked you guys about this?

"Rumor has it, that the latest build of IE7 (Build 5358), cripples the tab functionality when ‘successfully’ installed on pirated/non-genuine copies of Windows XP. Any truth to this?"

This was the tab issue I was referring to.

26. Bruce Morgan [MSFT] says:

Chuck, just send your mail with log files to ieblog@microsoft.com

Thanks

27. ieblog says:

Fiery Kitsune,

I’m not sure that I understand your question…

We never released a IE7 build 5358 on XP to the public so I do wonder how it was obtained.

We also don’t normally hack apart our installer to crack WGA. Our test scenarios don’t involve doing things like that so, if people do so, they are in uncharted territory and may have done undefined bad things to their IE installation. We do know that one of the common reasons why xmllite isn’t being installed correctly is people trying to do this. We’re trying to identify if there is a bug where people DO run the NORMAL installer and still have a problem. For those that are hacking the installer, don’t. To quote Southpark: "That’s bad…m’kay?"

Al Billings [MSFT]

28. Fiery Kitsune says:

Al, it didn’t necessarily have to be a be non-genuine copy of Windows. I have seen the the behavior with genuine copies of XP that are trying to install public betas and non-public internal builds of IE7 using the Update function. It’s a problem with the Update.exe routine. It simply isn’t calling or installing the xmllite dlls…

I will be honest, I do visit forums and sites that discuss WGA bypassing at my own leisure. My source for the concern and subsequent user-found bugfix for build 5358 came from Neowin.net (a reputable tech news site). I simply pitched the question at the ExpertZone chat to see if you guys were aware of the behavior regarding xmllite. Perhaps I worded the question incorrectly.

29. ieblog says:

FK,

How exactly are you running update.exe if you aren’t cracking open the installation exe? It is unsupported. Don’t do it. It’s bad. If you do it and something breaks, it is unsupported because it isn’t a valid scenario. As the problems people have had doing it show, it doesn’t always work right.

We’ve actually updated the code internally to block the running of update.exe directly but you won’t see it until the next time we make a public build available.

Al Billings [MSFT]

30. Damp Kitsune says:

You install a pirated internal build and then complain when it doesn’t work right? Right.

31. Chuck says:

Thanks for your input on Where are my tabs?

Just to let everyone know, I am running a genuine copy of WinXP Home Edition, and have not used update.exe to install IE7 Beta2.  I installed it using the installer as downloaded from the MS IE7 Web Site.  Yet, No Tabs.

I think there may be another problem here causing the tabs not to show up.

Chuck

32. We saw a series of posts in the Internet Explorer newsgroups from people reporting that IE7 was not displaying…

33. Fiery Kitsune says:

Al, what’s the best way to report security loopholes that pirates can use?

34. ieblog says:

As always, security bugs go to secure@microsoft.com.

From the FAQ that we posted before:

5. What about security bugs?

Because of the volume of incoming bugs, any truly time sensitive bugs should go through the normal security channels. Security issues should be reported to secure@microsoft.com to guarantee a timely response to the issue.

– Al Billings [MSFT]

35. Alex says:

Why is the update.exe even present when it’s unsupported and not meant for public use?

You know that people will use it if they can use it.

Furthermore: why do you provide XMLLite as a seperate installer and not as a part of IE, just like the other 99% of IE7?

36. PatriotB says:

Alex,

Update.exe is essentially "the" mechansim by which all updates are applied to Windows–this includes service packs, security updates, and "out-of-band" releases like WMP 10, Windows Desktop Search, and IE7.  What MS is saying here is that you don’t just go and run it directly–it’s invoked by the main "package" EXE that people download.  Update.exe obviously has to be present.

As to XMLLite, that’s a different question.  I’m curious as to what this DLL’s real purpose is–why is MSXML not used?  Any plans to document XMLLite at all?  (If the answer is no, then I’m assuming it falls into the "IE" side of the DOJ’s Windows/IE divide, and that we won’t see any other Windows apps using XMLLite when Vista comes out…)

37. Anarki says:

There should be an option (or even better: it  should be standard) in IE7 that allows the homepage to be loaded when a new tab is opened.

Firefox already has this, and it is much easier than having a blank page.

38. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@Anarki: "that allows the homepage to be loaded when a new tab is opened."

Use the checkbox in Tools | Internet Options | Tabs | Settings.

39. UnexpectedBill says:

With regards to the comments concerning the speed of Firefox vs. IE…I’d have to confess that I do like the Firefox browser, however IE is still very relevant to me because of one little thing that can be a *big* deal:

Speed.

I can run IE 5 (or sometimes 6) on minimal hardware (see http://www.walshcomptech.com/ps2/mod53.htm for one example) and it runs *well*. It’s quite usable as long as you don’t visit sites that are multimedia heavy.

When I tried Firefox in similar situations, it was impossible to use. In this regard, Microsoft and the IE team have done very well.

By the way, a question for Mr. Hrvatin (if I may)…how do you pronounce your last name?

40. Fduch says:

I have a question.

Where the hell are my tabs???

They are still here. I can still see them….

It looks like I could draw my hand and reach them.

But they are bound to die. Die forever.

I still see my tabs, but my mouse can’t touch them. And as the sign of doom I watch the "Save Webpage" window. Frozen. For an hour. Not responding to close or "cancel".

I start the task manager…..

I am not angry. I got used to it long ago. Information at your fingertips that you can’t reach.

Now to constructive part. When I open a tab in Maxthon browser, it writes it writes it’s url+title to some place. So even if I have blackout, my tabs can be restored on next launch.

I want this feature for IE. For example let’s just place all open tabs to some special favourites folder. Like "Current tabs". When User closes IE he can decide wheather to open these tabs at the next launch. But if something bad happened and the IE was not closed properly the user sees window with list of pages he had seen last on next IE launch. Then user can decide wheather to load that tabs.

Isn’t it useful and easy? I think that IE needs such recovery feature.

41. EvilFiek says:

I hope in the final build you will have some kind of system that automaticly warns the user if there is a redirect to a "GET FIREFOX!!!111oneone" page on the website you are surfing.

42. Bob Daniel says:

In our case, this turned out to be a domain Group Policy.

I encountered the ‘missing tabs’ problem immediately after installing IE7 Beta2 on my XPSP2 machine and mentioned it to one of my engineers, Larry Webster.  He said he saw it with his Vista box: tabbed browsing worked fine until he joined the machine to the domain, then the tabs disappeared.

The problem was a GP setting, User Config | Administrative Templates | Windows Components | Windows Explorer | Turn on Classic Shell

We changed it from ‘Enabled’ to ‘Not Configured’, logged off and back on, and voila! tabs.

43. Bobby B says:

Ummm…. I can’t get it to download, and I did the trouble shooting.

44. Thunder says:

ok i have the same problem, no have tabs grrr.

but i solved in 10sec. really is to easy.

only need have to do.

1.- descompres (unzip) the file IE7BETA2-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe anywhere.

2.- after this in this folder you find another folder named update ok.

3.- close any ie browser window.

4.- in this you find a file xmllitesetup.exe run and follow the instruccions, when finish.

what do you thing.???

i open ie and surprise whe have tabs :)

sorry for my english, don’t speak very whell.

please if any undertand all of these translate and public to all the web, friends.

whe have the answer i give to all people Thanks.

45. PatriotB says:

Sweet… thanks for the link anphanax!

46. rysermans says:

it’s strange but i was made an abstraction of the bho to be able to use ie 7

mee too i have had this problem.

no that i begun to look at your message how great was my surprise have seen working the broser.it’s such a shame . i’m happy because of the handicap i had to use the new ie7 broser

thanks very mutch for this .serge

47. well i think i have to arrange my problem and read away your’s informations

48. ryan says:

Why are you making it where we cant use update.exe directly in the next release?(i could understand if you all were told by a higher up to do so.)

Because that i our right to use it. If it messes up our comp. than so be it thats our choice.

49. Fduch says:

When I’m saving webpage all my tabs freeze.

When will you fix this annoying bug?

50. Phil says:

As Microsoft state that IE integrates so tightly into the OS it can’t be seperated, does that mean regular Explorer windows (that is, ones that show the contents of a drive/filesystem) can also be tabbed, in the same way Konqueror in the KDE Desktop for Linux can tab filesystem windows?

For example… I open My Computer, Right-Click my C drive and hit "Open in new tab" et voila, a second tab appears with my C drive contents in there?  Then I right-click "Program Files" for a third tab to open with a folder listing… etc etc.

Just a thought, seeing as how IE is _so_ embedded into the OS.

51. I just installed IE 7.0.5346.5 beta2  and although tabs do show, I cannot seem to get a new tab. help says to right click on a link and select open in new tab, but there is no such option in the menu , only open in new window, also any new address only replaces the current tab.

CurtisB

52. SwerveUT says:

I have another problem with tabs. IE 7 doesnt give the option of opening a link for a webpage in a new tab when you right click on a link on a webpage. It just gives you the option of opening it in a new window. I am having no problem with tabs but since I dont have this option ot open links from webpages in new tabs, I still end up with lots of browser windows cluttered all over my desktop.

53. Mark says:

This was an interesting read

54. pvbrandes says:

I also have IE 7.0.5346.5 beta 2 installed and do have a "open in new tab" menu when I right click a link but I would like it better if it just worked automatically, like Netscape does. If you set your middle mouse button to be a middle mouse button, then, when you click a link it will open in a new tab but in the foreground, not the background like it says in the tab keyboard shortcuts.

55. Mike says:

I love the new IE 7, but everytime I use the tab feature, I get an error message and then I lose all my open browsers.

It happens so much already, I’m considering just going back to my FireFox browser.  This is very frustrating and annoying.