MSFeeds.dll setup bug

Hi, My Name is Stephen Anacker and I am a tester working on IE7 setup. I have read that a number of you have seen the following error when attempting to install the IE7 preview:

“Error loading C:WINDOWSsystem32msfeeds.dll  The specific procedure could not be found.”

This error is permissions on registry key X (usually hkcr.tif) being set to read only on the system. I want to talk about a couple of things to give some help in working around this bug and to explain what is happening.

We have seen examples where anti-spyware may cause this problem, so a possible work around is stop your anti-spyware for the duration of the install ONLY. After installation, please turn it back on.

If this doesn’t work then we need to do some digging and editing of the registry. The first step is open your updspapi.log, which can be found in the “windows” directory, and search for “Access is denied” in it.

In the area of the “Access is denied” errors, there will be an entry that reads: “Setting registry value” and then a key name. This is the locked key that is causing the problem. To change this you need to do the following:

1. Go to Start  then “Run” type “regedit” in the run box and enter.
  2. In regedit expand the appropriate registry (usually HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT or HKEY_CURRENT_USER) in the left pane and locate your key.
  3. Right click on the entry in the left pane, select “permissions…”
  4. In the permissions box select the “administrators” group.
  5. Click on the “Advanced” button at the lower right.
  6. Select administrators and click edit.
  7. In the next dialogue check to allow box for “full control”.
  8. Save and close the registry.
  9. Install IE7

This should enable you to install IE7.

So what’s going on?

When you see the msfeeds.dll error at install time the installer is rolling back a failed install, and has actually completed most of the process. The error message has very little to do with the error, Msfeeds.dll just happens to be the last point of install before failure occurred and it is partially installed. When we roll back the install, the error occurs when the uninstall routine which thinks MSfeeds.dll was fully installed is trying to uninstall those portions which where never installed, which causes the error.

What is causing this? When you install Internet Explorer 7 it reads and writes to a large number of registry keys, changing associations from IE6 to IE7, restoring some keys to a “good” state, making some settings more secure, adding settings for the Feed sound…basically lots of settings. When it encounters a registry key with read-only permissions the installer stops at that point and uninstalls.

You might say well “why don’t you change the permissions on the key and write the new value?” The answer is that we have to accept that setting – we need to assume that there is a reason it’s locked down. It may be that a user set it to read-only or it may be an anti-virus or anti-spyware setting; we don’t know who set it or why.

So why not skip the key? This is fine if the key is a relatively benign key such as text size, but what if the key is affects how IE loads or runs? We would rather uninstall than install a crippled or not secure browser so we play it safe and roll back.

We are looking into solutions to this bug and it will be fixed before we ship IE7 but we need to respect the user settings and existing security precautions while allowing IE to set up correctly.

– Stephen

1. Hans Olsson says:

This sentence does not make sense to me:

"We would rather uninstall then install a crippled or not secure browser so we play it safe and roll back."

(and it is not just a then/than).

I have installed one program that presented a "ignore/retry/cancel" when it had problems writing in the registry.

2. ieblog says:

Actually, it is a "than" instead of a "then" and I just fixed it.

– Al Billings [MSFT]

3. Chad Thomas says:

Bravo!!!

Even though a typical user would not understand, as a developer I do.

I have yet to see a better explanation of a problem and the reasoning going into fixing it.

I love it.  Keep up the great communications.

P.S. I have not received the error.

4. Not U says:

although off topic, i feel i need to say this and the entire software community needs to conform.

"Although we are IT professionals, it would be great to hear words spoken in simple, efficient, everyday English!"

You have to agree with Chad: "If you state a bug/issue/problem etc. state it clearly, completely, with nothing hidden or disguised, and nothing but the bug/issue/problem etc; the same applies to the solution."

I hope the whole world heard!

Peace

5. GGT says:

Garry here, wish I’d read this an hour ago, got the msfeeds.dll problem and it locked up the machine, think webroots spy sweeper software was causing the problem.

6. waseem says:

I am non tester ie7 just download ie7 beta 2, buti tried to sign in "my yahoo"

Welcome, *********

! Canada | My Yahoo! | News      Search

Sorry, Yahoo! Canada Mail Beta does not support your browser.

You can either download a compatible browser or proceed to the original Yahoo! Canada Mail.

If you want to use the Yahoo! Canada Mail Beta…

You can download any of the supported browsers for free by clicking the links below:

Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher (for Windows)

Firefox 1.0 or higher (for Mac and Windows)

Mozilla 1.7 or higher (for Mac and Windows)

Netscape 7.2 or higher (for Windows)

To proceed to original Yahoo! Canada Mail…

Simply follow the link below. If you sign in later with a supported browser, you will automatically be taken to Yahoo! Canada Mail Beta.

Proceed directly to the original Yahoo! Canada Mail

pls let me know @ khuzdar@hotmail.com

regards

7. Joe M says:

waseem, it has nothing to do with you, just how the site is designed to check for browser.

If you want one even better, try cvs.com you cant get into it at all. It’s called beta.

8. Lordmike says:

Hmm I’m not good with words, but I think you get the drift. A lot of text for the user to read… But could be possible to use in an advanced installation option? That way most users who just click on default wont ever see this.

9. Soum says:

My feeds do not auto-update(no err msg is given). Does this have anything to do with the error you explained?

10. I understand what’s going wrong. But why don’t you just tell what is going wrong in the log or the error message? Now the only way to find out what’s going wrong is by using tools like regmon and filemon.

Just my 2 cents

11. aToMac says:

12. Deepesh Shah says:

even after giving permission to the .prf under root, i still get the error?

13. Lordmike says:

@Deepash Shah–

Then also try HKEY_CURRENT_USER

If that doesn’t work then use the "Find" function to search for the key. Might be elsewhere in the registry, not sure though since I’m on a 2k box atm so I can’t check my xp box.

14. Squire says:

To aToMac:

‘"It may be that a user set it to read-only or it may be an anti-virus or anti-spyware setting; we don’t know who set it or why."

Go ask your Windows colleagues to simplify it in Vista. It is late anyway. I think it is horrible that you guys can’t even cope with this registry-hell. How should I as developer. The answer how to deal with this has been available since 1984. A Preferences Folder.’

And what if some anti-spyware sets the Preferences Folder read-only? The problem is _not_ the registry itself. If I have Apache running a web-based UI that allows me to configure Apache, and the permissions on httpd.conf are set 400, am I going to be able to update httpd.conf from a web-based UI? Would you blame Apache? Of course not. Would you blame the format of httpd.conf? Of course not. You would blame the problem on permissions of a resource being read-only when you need to write to that resource.

Repeat after me: "THE PERMISSIONS ON A *RESOURCE* THAT NEEDS TO BE WRITTEN TO ARE READ-ONLY, THEREFORE YOU CAN NOT WRITE TO THAT *RESOURCE*".

15. Squire says:

[How about you run through the installation, when it can’t change a reg entry, it lists all keys it needs to change but is locked down by permissions ? And then inform/ask "These keys are read only and have been set by either you as a user or an antivirus/antispyware program for protection. We need to access these so that we can continue the installation, do you wish us to set them as writable only during installation?"]

My 75-year old father is a very smart guy, but I wouldn’t trust him to make the right choice regarding changing permissions on a list of Registry keys if he was given a list.

I suggest you read

or any other sources on the Internet that tell you time and again that the worst thing you can do is ask the user to make decisions like this.

So, Microsoft can’t make the decision for us (nor would I want them to), the user can’t make the decision, the only alternative left is to back out the installation.

Maybe the error should say: "We could not install IE7 because of an error. Please consult the nearest 14-year old to look into your log files and determine the cause of the problem".</tongue-in-cheek>

But seriously, no matter what you tell Ma and Pa Kettle, they aren’t going to be capable of fixing the problem themselves, because they didn’t make the original change, some software they may not even know they installed did.

16. Adam says:

<<Microsoft has urged consumers to be wary as three newly discovered bugs leave people open to attack while using the internet.

All three flaws affect the software giant’s Internet Explorer browser.>>

None of this is going to matter.  People aren’t going to care.  They are becoming increasingly suspicious of IE and Microsoft on a daily basis. Most will just switch to another browser and be done with it.

Keep in mind IE7 is a good browser, but who is going to see it or dare download it?  Most features are years old and all the consumer can see is they are using an old browser that has HUGE security issues.  Even my grandma knows about Firefox.

How does a company bounce back from this pr nightmare?  This one seems to rely on it’s ever dwindling market share.  Don’t lean to hard boys.  One day it’s not going to be there!

17. [What does Microsoft have to say about this?  "Download IE7 public beta." HA!  There isn’t a download on microsoft homepage or ie homepage as far as I can tell.  The average user isn’t going to find it.

But you can’t tell Microsoft what to do.  They know how to keep shooting themselves in the foot and keep quiet about it.]

Adam, actually, there is a public download available for the beta 2 preview of IE7. It’s right on the top of http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/.

WRT your comment about not being able to tell us what to do, I agree we haven’t always been as good about listening as we should have been, but we’re trying a lot harder now.

The mere existance of this blog is one sign of that. The public bug database we just posted about, the specific changes we made in our CSS support in IE7, and the changes we made in the RSS Simple List Extensions are a few more concrete examples of things we’ve done as a direct result of feedback from this blog, Channel9, and discussions we’ve had with the community.

Of course, we can still do better. I’d love constructive feedback from everyone on how we can do a better job listening and showing that we’re listening.

18. Steven M says:

At last resolved!

Thanks very much, my registry error was Setting registry value HKCR.application

Once reset finally loaded okay

19. rdmiller says:

Thank you for your incoherent contribution.

20. gir says:

"we need to respect the user settings and existing security precautions while allowing IE to set up correctly.

– Stephen"

Could you please pass that nugget of wisdom along to your ClearType comrades?

21. PatriotB says:

I think it’s really lame that programs are going around mucking with permissions of resources that they don’t directly create or own–especially not telling the user that they will be making changes that could cause problems.  Because of these poorly-written programs, IE looks bad.  People see this as a MS problem even though it was caused by third-party software.  Granted, the error message could be more specific.

Something similar happened a while back when a Windows security patch was released.  If people had (for some reason) restricted the permissions on a certain folder inside the Windows directory, the patch wouldn’t install.  News stories criticized MS for releasing a bad patch, even though it was caused by people mucking in things they shouldn’t’ve been mucking around in.

22. pintree3 says:

My problem with this is not the registry entry, for all 4 entries have full permissions.

SO where do I send the log file to?

23. Lordmike says:

@Squire–

That’s why I in the end of the post wrote "But could be possible to use in an advanced installation option? That way most users who just click on default wont ever see this."

So if the average user would click on advanced, then it should be advanced.

I see your point though. There are probably a lot of people who try the advanced installation when they should use the default and then mucks it up and blames the company for it.

24. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@waseem: To work around problems with sites that block IE7, you can configure IE7 to spoof sites into thinking they are IE6.  There are registry scripts at http://fiddlertool.com/useragent.aspx for this purpose.

25. Paul S says:

If sites were properly accessible (accessible does not mean disabled) you shouldn’t get ‘use browser X’ error messages.

Badly designed sites if you ask me.

26. bgrupe says:

That entirely depends on the service if you ask me. For webmail, there are tons of competitors and you don’t need to choose Yahoo!, just use another one.

On regular websites there might be no other way to obtain importent content, that’s where such things are bad.

27. Rene says:

You stated that changing the permissions on registry key X (usually hkcr.tif) will do the trick however, I searched my entire registry for "hkcr" and did not find anything. I then tried a search for ".tif" in the "HKEY_Current_User" and got a long list of results. I checked the permission levels on evrything ending with ".tif" but they were already set to "Full Control". I even tried changing the restricted access to "full control" and reinstalled, but still no luck. I have ZoneAlarm security suite, but shut it down during the install. Still no luck.

There was mention that spyware programs may cause this problem — I have "Windows Defender" but I’m not certain it is running. I don’t see it in my task bar and if I look at my currently running processes, I can’t identify anything that looks like windows defender. Perhaps I am just missing it and it is running in the background and preventing this IE7 download? How do I identify it in the running processes?

Any other ideas?

Rene

28. Jesse Mohrland [MSFT] says:

Rene: TIF may not be the key that is affecting your installation. We are seeing many keys which cause this problem. To find the one you need, open your updspapi.log, which can be found in the "windows" directory, and search for "Access is denied" in it. Then follow the instructions for making sure administrators have full control.

29. Will says:

Hey,

Rene hkcr is HKEY _Current_User .

So that would be simply HKEY _Current_User.tif.

Jesse you are 100% correct. That registry key was not the problem at all. Some others.

Though the odd thing is then IE locks them back down to read only sate when uninstalling. So if I have to reinstall IE 7 for some reason well now I get the same errors once again on the same files. lol So in reality IE 7 is to blame as well. Odd thing is that its "just a roll back" but then why are the keys read only when I set them to full permissions when I installed. And I never changed them back to read only. The IE 7 uninstaller does when it "rolls back". But again its "rolling" back settings that did not exist during install. lol

Well, hope you did not loose me. ;)

Anyways at least during the beta an error message should be given informing the user of what reg keys are in a read only state. Only during the beta, not in the final product.

Since its a known issue you really should make it easy for the beta testers to fix. Heck just auotmaticly open the ie install log file for the user to see when the install fails.

Look mom and dad are not using IE 7. Only techies are. In fact mom and dad dont even know what IE is. They dont know what a browser is, and they could care less.

Well thats my pov,

Will

30. PatriotB says:

HKCR is HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

31. PeterT says:

Installation of Mar20 IE7 is a pretty boring thing (sry). Ok, it always runs against that msfeeds.dll even if that isn’t the bug. BUT! at first it was .application/bootstrap, next was .xaml, now .xbap .. hell, how many more? (well I expect .z as the last, .tif didn’t show up here). Each faliure requires a reboot, I haven’t rebooted my machine never so many times since I bought it. Maybe it’s my fault that the WinFX SDK is installed also on this machine, or the FX installer doesn’t set things right. Btw, it isn’t re-set to read-only here, all manually set full access remain full access even after the rollback.

Even if a logfile would have to show up, pleeeeeeeeze show all that may possibly fail, not one by one because you exit the first failed.

But, I have to say, it’s a fun thing for me,

MS-Software cannot install because the user has not allowed the installer to access some keys .. rofl .. on the other hand MS restricts the user to change stuff inside the OS more and more. "You only may install this software if you allow it to have full access to the system" – hey, remeber, IE is a web-browser, not more, not less.

I really like what comes in the future, WinFX and its presentation looks great, but if you keep your way with forcing IE deep into the OS you will loose user by user .. and not because FF is better (it isn’t).

Sorry, but I was really annoyed that the install made the very first BSOD to show up on my machine (at shutdown), I have never seen this before here, and this is a developer machine where a lot of software goes in and out. Now I feel better :)

Best wishes for the dev. team :)

32. Kash says:

After installation I received following error:

The procedure entry point "InternetGetSecurityInfoByURLW could not be located in the dynamic link library WININET.dll",

Any solution???

33. ieblog says:

Kash, it normally means that you didn’t reboot your computer after the installation as requested.

– Al Billings [MSFT]

34. IE Compat says:

Bugs are bad, m’kay?

35. ZippyV says:

Why is msfeeds.dll put in the System32 folder while it belongs in the Program FilesInternet Explorer folder?

36. Andy Maggs says:

I have now set full control on my 5th registry key and it is still failing.  This is a total pain especially as I have to reboot each time.  What is wrong with you recording the current read-only state of a key, changing it, setting the value and reinstating the read-only state?  If IE needs the values set then it MUST change them regardless, if it doesn’t then it should just ignore the failures surely?

37. Steven says:

Good, now that that’s out of our way, let’s get IE 7 to connect to the internet.

38. nij_p says:

my file states that "#E008 Setting registry value HKCR.applicationbootstrap

#E033 Error 5: Access is denied." lovely I thought so I went hunting and guess what … HKCR.applicationbootstrap doesn’t exist. Under HKCR.application there are no subfolders. Any clues? (The only reason for trying 7 is that 6 has totally died (after installing sp2 and running the fixes for white screen of inactivity (KB902932) which I only tried fix as windows updates stopped working (stateing active x required) but it was already there and no pop-up)

39. PeterT says:

if you want to see where IE-setup wants access on registry keys, extract the setup by "-x".

then check the update folder for an update.inf

scroll to line 1045 and see where the setup wants access to.

usually something after .txt fails, if you set these keys itself (forget about the bootstrap sub) to be accessible by "administrator" it will do fine.

right here these failed

HKCR,".xamlbootstrap"    HKCR,".xbapbootstrap"

HKCR,".xpsbootstrap"

And they may have been set by WinFX SDK or a previous IE7 install, I assume the 1st.

Btw. IE7 developer crew, a simple html file with just a table, some links in that table and a <link href="startpage.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"> is not really a security risk :) Or is it because it resides in a local folder?

And even if it’s "layout complete", why are these fonts trying to make me beleive I should wear some glasses when no other application makes me think this way?

40. Computerpro says:

It figures something from Microsoft would have an error like this.  I know its still beta, but if Microsoft wants to take back some of the market lost to Firefox due to their products overwhelming # of errors and security holes, some of which required government intervention to fix, it has to do something to fix this before the final relase. We don’t need another piece of software which needs a zillion patches before its a year old.  BTW: I did the fix above and I still get the error message.

41. Andy says:

Yes, I had similar experiences trying to install IE7 beta 2.  I tried the various workarounds suggested (excluding meddling with the registry.  Now I have no IE at all. I can’t revert to IE6. I can’t roll back using system restore (that possibility seems to have disappeared during this process – I can no longer access help files too!). IE7 is still in the Add/Remove programs list but when I try to uninstall I’m told I have to log on as the User who installed it (there is only one user on my machine. Try to click on User Accounts in CP and nothing happens.  That too has disappeared since I tried to install IE7. Wow! And this is a public beta!

Do I care? Only because I’m a designer and want to test pages on all browsers. Maybe when I peel myself from the wall I’ll try to figure out how to break this stupid cycle.

42. Robert says:

The only thing that worked for me was uninstalling Microsoft® Codename Max and WinFX Runtime Components.. no more problems easy install.

43. Nexus says:

Thanks for the hint on searching the updspapi.log, found the two or three keys whatever had set to read only. disconcerting was the HKCR .applicationbootstrap one, since bootstrap didnt exist and well, it had the name bootstrap in it ;) it apparently is a key that the instaler needs to make though.

The previous beta occasionally crashed, usually when loading multiple tabs left open with embedded videos of pr0n :P , hope my crash feedbacks are usefull!

I really like your progress so far, keep up the good work!

44. Robert Cohen says:

Stephen,

I had the same symptoms, and although I run several anti-spyware products (won’t bore with the details) I read the posts and saw Webroot implicated.  I disabled it via MSCONFIG, rebooted and installed IE7 b2 successfully. I booted again, enabled Webroot Spysweeper, rebooted again and IE7 works.

This has got to be resolved before release.  Home users cannot possibly cope with this kind of issue.

I’m also going to leave a feedback (when I’m security-enabled or whatever so that I can) about a UI issue I see with imported nested Favorites.  It’s another one that will frustrate people because the answer can’t be found in Help – you just have to stumble on it.

It is a fine looking product – and a few rough edges are expected :=))

Rob

45. Al-Karaki says:

Hi every one…

Well, i dont like to use BETA versions for any program because of the bugs…But i think that the IE 7 is nice, so thats why I’m trying to install it…

First time to install i got the msg that says "Error loading C:WINDOWSsystem32msfeeds.dll  The specific procedure could not be found.”

But after that i dont get it when trying to install…I just get in the end "Internet Explorer installation did not complete"

But i did what Stephen Anacker said, And i found the problem in .inf and did exactly what he said…But i also can not install it till now,

Can any one help with this…?

Thx in advance

46. Bob Ebgelbardt says:

I had no problem installing a previous version of IE7 so this is odd.

47. cochron says:

I did not have any trouble here.

48. cochron says:

Not having any real problems with IE7 B2. Looks fairly solid as a Beta release to users should be.

Don Cochron

49. Larry Gist says:

I did not receive this error until I upgraded my Windows XP Home to XP Pro. If I uninstall IE7 and then reinstall it will that do the trick?

50. Issues with IE 7 Beta 3

I have been using IE 7 on my production laptop since the first beta and have…