IE February 2006 Security Update is now available

The IE February 2006 security update is now available! This security update is now available via Windows Update. Please note: this update only applies to IE5.01 SP4. Users running the supported versions of IE6 or later do not need to apply this update. Windows 2000 customers are encouraged to upgrade to IE6SP1. Windows XP customers are not affected by this update.

Alternatively, you can receive this and all other Microsoft updates available via the new Microsoft Update. I would encourage you to upgrade to Microsoft Update if you haven’t already.

Information about the IE Security update can be found at: MS06-004 – Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (KB# 910620)

This security update package contains fixes for the following vulnerability:

Details on the vulnerability and workarounds can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS06-004.mspx.

This is a “Critical” update and affects IE5.01 Service Pack 4 on Windows 2000 Service Pack 4. IE security updates are cumulative and contain all previously released patches for this version.

I encourage everybody to download this security update and other non-IE security updates via Windows Update or Microsoft Update. Windows users are also strongly encouraged to turn on automatic updates for their systems to download updates more easily.

– Charles Watanabe

1. Anonymous says:

i’m not sure where to post this, but I have a comment on the inability to move the address bar over. I was also bummed out about this with firefox. It was the main reason i never moved over to it. that address bar is an enormous waste of space. I think the home page button address bar should go up there to reserve more space for tabs.

2. Anonymous says:

Security Update for Windows XP (KB913446)won’t install, any reason why?

3. Mystereman says:

i had the same problem with 913466, so I just downloaded the network version and applied it manually, worked fine.

4. PatriotB says:

"i’m not sure where to post this…"

Well, certainly not in response to this posting about an IE 5.01 Security Update for Windows 2000.  Try in response to one of the UI-related postings on this blog.  Or, there was an entry a little while back on where to report feedback about the IE7 beta preview.

5. Anonymous says:

Same here; 913446 fails to install. I’m using the IE7 Beta 2 preview, could that be the culprit?

6. PatriotB says:

Sinder – It fails as well with IE6 SP2.

7. Anonymous says:

KB913446 also failed for me "Error Code: 0x80242006", so I went to the source and manually downloaded it and then I installed it manually. Thats when it worked.

This is for english Windows XP:

I tried to find this using normal search on microsoft.com and I didn’t find a thing. Maybe should integrate your KB articles into the normal search engine so we can look up KB913446 without finding out it doesn’t exist.

8. Anonymous says:

So it failed to install on IE7bp2 and IE6? Interesting.  Maybe it has something to do with the article mentioning that it only applies to IE5.01 SP4?

9. PatriotB says:

Mike – 913446 wasn’t the IE patch, it was one for TCP/IP.  Anyways, it looks like it was a problem on the Windows Update back-end; I tried again last night and it installed fine.

10. Anonymous says:

@PatriotB–

I never said that it was for IE. I just saw that some people had the same problem I had and I solved it on my computer. That’s why I even wrote in the first place. =)

11. PatriotB says: