The Keyboard Lover’s Guide to IE7

Many are content to spend all day clicking fancy looking buttons or menu items in order to get their tasks accomplished, but those who know the correct keyboard and mouse shortcuts can often get around applications more efficiently: Browsing the web with Internet Explorer is no exception. I want to take a minute to discuss a few useful shortcuts already available in IE6 that will help you get around the web, and then list some great new shortcuts we are providing in IE7.

First: Getting around the web in Internet Explorer 6

Basic navigation

To do the following Press this
Go Back to the last page* Alt+Left Arrow
Go Forward to the next page* Alt+Right Arrow
Stop the page from loading** Escape (Esc)
Refresh the page*** F5 or Ctrl+F5
Go to your Homepage Alt+Home
Give focus to the Address Bar Alt+D
Add “www.” and “.com” to what you typed
in the address bar before navigating****
Ctrl+Enter
Scroll down/up the web page Spacebar / Shift+Spacebar
Close the window Alt+F4

Others:

Some interesting hotkeys you cannot see by simply looking in the menus…

To do the following Press this
Immediately add this site to your favorites Ctrl+D
Open your favorites in a folder window Shift+Click on the “Organize Favorites”
menu item
Put focus on the Information Bar Alt+N
Open a link in a new window Shift+Click
Open the right click ‘context’ menu for the currently selected item Shift+F10
Change the text size (will be Zoom in IE 7) Ctrl+Mouse wheel Up/Down

* Shift+Mouse wheel up/down also navigates forward and back, so does Backspace and Shift+Backspace
** Did you know that hitting the stop button (or Esc) will also stop background sounds?
*** If F5 doesn’t refresh all content try Ctrl+F5.  This ensures no content is pulled from the cache.
**** In the Preview build we also added Ctrl+Shift+Enter when focus is in the address bar.  This works like Ctrl+Enter from the address bar does today but will append a suffix of your choice to the end of the string instead of “.com” (.org, .edu, .co.uk, etc…).  You can change the default suffix in the Internet Options control panel.

Note: In the Preview build we have changed the pop-up blocker override key from “Ctrl to “Ctrl+Alt” in order to avoid conflicts with our new “Ctrl” tabbed browsing hotkeys

New in Internet Explorer 7

Now that we have basic navigation down, let’s talk about some cool new shortcuts in IE 7. You will notice that for features that exist elsewhere (for example: Tabbed Browsing) we put effort into maintaining consistency where possible.

Tabs:

To do the following Press this
Open links in a new tab in the background Ctrl+Click
Open links in a new tab in the foreground Ctrl+Shift+Click
Open a new tab in the foreground Ctrl+T
Switch between tabs Ctrl+Tab / Ctrl+Shift+Tab
Close current tab (or current window when there are no open tabs) Ctrl+W
Open a new tab in the foreground from the address bar Alt+Enter
Switch to the n’th tab Ctrl+n (n can be 1-8)
Switch to the last tab Ctrl+9
Close other tabs Ctrl+Alt+F4
Open quick tabs Ctrl+Q

Zoom:

To do the following Press this
Increase zoom (+ 10%) Ctrl+(+)
Decrease zoom (-10%) Ctrl+(-)
Original size (100% zoom)* Ctrl+0

* If you are using the recent Windows Vista preview you might notice that the 100% zoom hotkey changed from Ctrl+(*) to Ctrl+0

Search:

To do the following Press this
Go to the Toolbar Search Box Ctrl+E
Open your search query in a new tab Alt+Enter
Bring down the search provider menu Ctrl+Down Arrow

Favorites Center:

To do the following Press this
Open Favorites Center to your favorites Ctrl+I
Open Favorites Center to your history Ctrl+H
Open Favorites Center to your feeds Ctrl+J

Great new mouse actions in IE7

Even with all these cool keyboard hotkeys we’ve introduced a few helpful shortcuts for mouse users as well.

To do the following with a mouse Press this
Open a link in a background tab Middle mouse button
Close a tab Middle mouse button on the tab
Open a new tab Double click on empty tab band space
Zoom the page in/out 10% Ctrl+Mouse wheel Up/Down

Tip:
My favorite shortcuts are the middle mouse button actions to close a tab and open links in the background (Those make using tabs fast and easy).

In Summary

Internet Explorer certainly has more than just these shortcut keys.  I’m sure you have some favorites I did not mention, but I hope you found something here that will make browsing the web easier for you.

Until next time, keep browsing!

– Aaron

1. Nick Presta says:

Things like this make a user’s browsing experience more enjoyable.

Thanks for the list.

2. IE Blog Commentator says:

now if only CSS2 was as complete as the shortcuts….

3. Paul Bellows says:

We do quite a bit of work on the Accessibility front, and one of the issues we deal with is :onfocus events and providing more meaningful visual interfaces to web visitors who are navigating with a keyboard – either because they choose to or because they do not have the ability to use a mouse.

One of the concerns we had with IE6 was the inability to trigger certain events based on tabbing through a web interface.  Using Beta 2, I don’t see much change to :onfocus events.  Is this on the list?

An example site is http://www.capitalhealth.ca/ (a MCMS 2000 site, FYI) where we are triggering a visual Skip to Content link for those tabbing through the interface.  Although most visitors requiring this kind of feature are visually impaired and would not benefit from being able to trigger an :onfocus event that causes a visual change to the screen, visitors with physical disabilities who cannot use a mouse or expert visitors who prefer a keyboard could benefit.

Thanks for the ongoing feedback and the attention to detail in every area of IE.

We like keyboards.

4. Ti says:

I would like to report on a very annoying IE7Beta2 Bug. Once I installed it, I can no longer view the Message History feature in MSN Messenger 7.0+ This is really annoying, for some reasons, now the XML files from the team INSIDE Microsoft is not compatible with the IE7. Aggh.. I thought that my Message History is corrupted at first. Please fix this problem as soon as possible and please let other teams inside MS tests your prdouct as widely as possible so this doesn’t happen. It is just sad…

5. Luca says:

Could you add the classic mouse gestures?

Or at least the two "right click" + "drag left" to go back and "right click" + "drag right" to go forward.

6. Xepol says:

A few points.

1. Quicktabs have to work even for a single tab.  When reading I said "What a quicktabs?" <ctrl-q> [nothing happened]… CONSISTANCY PLEASE!  I don’t care if its only 1 tab, leave the button there, show me just the 1 tab.  Leave it consistant please.

2. Ctrl+I,J,H  all open in the DOCKED mode.  I would prefer the floating mode at ALL times, others might prefer the docked mode.  I would suggest remembering whether we docked them, and using that as the default (allowing us to also UNDOCK them, and remembering THAT as the default as well).  I have never used the right docked bars simply because I find them too disruptive to tolerate (and I know people whose whole surfing experience includes the favorites docked open at all times for some myseterious screen wasting reason)

3. You always forget to mention the ZOOM SLIDER on some MS hardware that also works for zooming (nifty toy, wish I could override it for other things at times tho, but that is a matter for the intellitype team)

4. Is double clicking in the blank space to the right of the tabs to open a new tab a permanent feature?

5. The shift-f10 menu seems to be wrong in all cases.  Wrong contents, wrong screen placement.  Same goes for the application key.  Why are you duplicating the application key btw?  Has there been a keyboard made in the past 5 years without it?  Has anyone ever actually used it since it came out?

6. Shift-click on organize favorites.  Uh, "great", or it would be if you weren’t phasing out the menu toolbar which is the only way to get there.  Let me get at this throught the favorites popup and THEN we’re really talking! (I am forever doing this by right clicking on the start button and selecting explore & navigating to my favorites)

7. Only thing used less than the applicaiton button is probably the middle mouse button.  (actually I do use the application button, I use it as my host key in VirtualPC because it would never interfer with other keys I do use)

8. THank you for fixing the ctrl-w (which previously only closed tabs but not windows like it did in IE6)

Just some thoughts!

7. Mark Kenny says:

8. So how do I disable the CTRL-D "add-to-favorites" behavior?  It’s my one major objection to IE6.

The problem is that CTRL-D is also the "delete email" link, and I have my email on one monitor and IE on the other.  It’s not always clear which window has the focus, so I get random pages added to my favorites when I don’t want them.

It’s a royal pain to delete a favorite (requires two clicks, and popup), I’d rather not get them in the first place.

9. Abel Lineberger says:

To add one to the requested list of common mouse gestures: right click-drag + L(shape) to close the tab in focus and focus on previous/next tab.

This would be of tremendous help, as finding that little X is another royal pain.

10. seth says:

"Great new mouse actions in IE7"???? oh please try Opera… Mouse gestures are great, quick and efficient

11. PatriotB says:

Question: Will some of these shortcuts also apply to the WebBrowser control as well?

The code to prevent shortcuts like F5/Ctrl+F5, Ctrl+P, etc., from running is rather sloppy.  Will I need to update my code to block shortcuts like Ctrl+(+/-) for zoom?

Overall it would be great if the mechanism control over for keyboard shortcuts would be improved for hosts of the WebBrowser control.

12. game kid says:

Right-click button to the right of the tabs, and select Customize from the context menu.  The buttons "Page", "Tools" and "Help" are prefixed with an ampersand (instead of having their first letters underlined to indicate ALT shortcuts, the desired effect).

Please fix.

13. game kid says:

That should be "Right-click a button, such as ‘Tools’, to the right of the tabs".

14. SurrealLogic says:

15. game kid says:

"Excellent. Well done on keeping these keyboard shortcuts consistent with other, open source browsers 😉 (and I don’t mean to be ironic, or to plug my favourite browser, I really am grateful — you may win me back yet)."

The Print Preview is already the stuff of genius.  The "Shrink to Fit" should be separated from the zoom, though…or something like that.

16. dh says:

17. wks says:

Hi, thanks for this posting.

I’ve got a simple request.  When I press Ctrl+E (or Alt+D, Tab) to select the search box, it would be much more convenient (as well as be consistent with Address Bar behaviour) to select any existing text in the box.  This would let me start typing a new search query right away, or let me press enter to search on the same term again, or refine my search by pressing the right-arrow key and then typing more text.

Here’s a quirky thing about it — if I had some text selected in that box, that selection is "remembered" when I go back to the box.  I can’t think of a single use for this functionality.

Pretty minor stuff, hope you guys can find some time to fix these things up. 🙂  thanks for listening.

18. Mabsterama says:

Straight from the horse’s mouth over at the Internet Explorer Team Blog, here are some handy keyboard…

19. Hans Olsson says:

Am I the only noticing the following when reading this blog in IE6?

Sometimes (=seldom, but more than once) the text-encoding auto-selection believes the web-page text-encoding isn’t UTF-8, but instead Windows encoding.

This causes the word "Lover’s" to look wrong.

I have not seen this on other sites.

Reloading the page fixes it – but the HTML-source is unchanged.

Is there something odd with this web-server?

20. Dao says:

"will append a suffix of your choice to the end of the string instead of “.com” (.org, .edu, .co.uk, etc…).  You can change the default suffix in the Internet Options control panel."

This is how Ctrl+Enter should work.

21. mike says:

@IE Blog Commentator

<now if only CSS2 was as complete as the shortcuts….>

Yes, agreed. The important stuff, like WEB STANDARDS seems to be getting pushed aside, once again.

22. Aaron Sauve [MSFT] says:

> I’ve got a simple request.  When I press Ctrl+E (or Alt+D, Tab) to select the search box, it would be much more convenient (as well as be consistent with Address Bar behaviour) to select any existing text in the box.

Thanks!  This is a known bug that we will fix.

> Also, the search box seems to have two "tab stops"… I have to press the tab key twice to escape it and move the focus to the tab bar.

Actually, the second tab stop gives focus to the tab row.

23. Bob Archer says:

BOb

24. OPC Diary says:

IEBlog : The Keyboard Lover’s Guide to I…

25. Aaron Sauve [MSFT] says:

> Thanks for that. Some pretty handy ones. Would it be possible for you to add a shortcut that opens the favorites center as menu (that vanishes once an item is selected), rather than the full permanent panel?

Heard a couple of comments on this.  Right now this is not in the plan, but it is a good suggestion to look into.

26. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@Ti: The issue with the Messenger conversation history is already checked into IE and will be fixed in the next public release.

The problem is the spaces in the folder path.  You can view your Messenger history by moving the conversation logs to a folder path that doesn’t contain any spaces.

@Luca: There’s a great mouse-gestures plugin for IE here http://www.codeproject.com/atl/MouseGestures.asp

Thanks!

27. ukncdc says:

Love IE 7, REALLY want to see highlight text right click and then be able to search.

28. Aaron Sauve [MSFT] says:

> One concern I have with the Ctrl+Q quick tabs shortcut is that this is the same shortcut that Outlook web uses for marking things as read. Quite annoying.

This is one of the hard things about introducing new functionality into IE.  It is very difficult (very) to introduce new intuitive hotkeys that will not conflict with another web app.  Especially since IE already takes most of the simple Ctrl+<letter> hotkeys already.

29. Aaron Sauve [MSFT] says:

> Does anyone else think that Middle Mouse / CTRL-Click should open the link in a new tab in the FOREground rather than bg, and then CTRL-Shift-Click can open in a new background tab?

We have a setting in the tab settings to change the behavior of this actually.

Opening in the background is great for hub pages such as news sites, search results etc. when you want to continue reading the page you are on while waiting for pages to load.  This is one reason the default is background.  We know that some people prefer foreground first, so if you go into Tools->Internet Options->Tab Settings you can check "Always Switch to new tabs when they are created".

Hope that helps!

30. Ruben says:

Why on Earth does Ctrl+Enter only allow .com completion and is the RSI-inducer Shift+Ctrl+Enter the friendly version?

Outside the US .com is not such a common suffix. In Europe most countries have their own local versions of websites, to cater for the multitude of languages and cultures, such as http://www.google.nl, http://www.google.de, http://www.google.fr, http://www.google.co.uk, etc. The suffix .com is rather rare, and used mostly by American companies with no local versions. Then again, IE is being made by an American company, so what do they care…

31. Ron says:

"Does anyone else think that Middle Mouse / CTRL-Click should open the link in a new tab in the FOREground rather than bg, and then CTRL-Shift-Click can open in a new background tab?"

No, because if you’re opening multiple tabs in a short time you will want the shortest combination of keys to press. If you’re going to open a tab in the foreground you probably aren’t in a hurry so pressing an extra key shouldn’t be much of a problem.

You probably are the only one who wants it the other way around.

p.s. I like these shortcuts IE Team, I may just use some of them.

32. Nice, very nice.

I have issues with the whole modifier+enter set, though.

2) To make things worse, at least two alternative browsers map ctrl+enter to the behaviour IE7 wants for alt+enter, i.e. opening the url in a new tab.

It seems that generally, IE7 aims for existing practice with its shortcuts, so I think opening in new tab should be mapped to ctrl+enter, and the current ctrl+enter-behaviour either dropped (personally I consider it useless) or mapped to alt+enter.

… OK, I just tried, and it seems alt+enter is mapped to new tab in both browsers I use too. I still think the ctrl+enter behaviour is useless.

33. Arjan says:

34. Borland decides to spin-off Delphi via All of the Borland Bloggers&amp;nbsp;&amp;ndash; Hopefully it will be…

35. Elsa says:

Oh, I love IE team.

But I have a opinion about tabs:

And below is what I send you a mail, but to show other people or in case when you couldn’t read my mail:

2) I think it’ll be better if IE7 shows RSS feeds by article-by-article, like Sharpreader or newsgroup in Outlook. RSS Reader(?) of IE7b2 is too loose and opens the whole page too slowly. Of course, IE7 have not to show how many comments or trackbacks the article has.

And thanks for the list. There are some keys I didn’t know.

36. Aaron Sauve [MSFT] says:

> I think you should disable CTRL+W if there is only one tab open. Else you will close down IE

Actually, we had it this way originally, but changed it based on feedback.  Reasoning is that Ctrl+W closes IE in IE 6, so for people who do not actually use tabs it is an easier transition to allow Ctrl+W to continue to work as they are used to.

37. Aaron Sauve [MSFT] says:

> 1) As far as I’m aware, all existing browsers, including ie6, append the .com anyway if the version without suffix doesn’t find anything, so the current ctrl+enter behaviour seems redundant.

By default IE actually goes to autosearch (your default search provider) if your term doesn’t resolve to an internal server or a site.  It actually goes to autosearch before trying .com etc, so only tries .com etc when autosearch fails for whatever reason.  A while ago we supported keywords which did this, but that no longer is the case.

38. Maxthon User says:

It would be great to be able to double click on a tab to close it like Maxthon.

Is Highlight+drag and search going to be in IE7 too?

39. mocax says:

Alt+N doesn’t work in Windows XP?

What’s information bar?

40. Elsa says:

@mocax: It appears when the pop-up or activex has blocked. See reference page:

41. PatriotB says:

"It would be great to be able to double click on a tab to close it like Maxthon."

You need to be really careful when assigning destructive actions to double clicks–many users don’t know when to single and when to double, and commonly double click when they’re supposed to single click.

Though, if it would close the tab, they’d probably learn quick.

42. seth says:

This as nothing to do with shortcuts, but some when we click on a link that is made to open in _blank, wich i believe it means it should open in a new window(i don’t understand much of html), and IE7 does this great, wich becames annoying, cause we have one ie window open with several tabs, but if we click on a link that opens a new window, probably we will continue to navigate from there, and so we will have now two ie windows open each one with various tabs, that is a little bit annoying, you guys could at least add a option to eliminate this problem…

sorry, my english sucks…

43. Elsa says:

@seth: I think only one IE must be opened. And ‘_blank link’ can be opened as the window that could not have plural tabs, like pop-up window in IE7.

44. Stuart P. Bentley says:

Where, exactly, in options, is the Ctrl+Shift+Enter thing?

45. game kid says:

"Where, exactly, in options, is the Ctrl+Shift+Enter thing?"

Tools->Internet Options, then click Languages button on General tab, then fill in the "Locale Specific suffix" near the bottom.

46. Aaron Sauve [MSFT] says:

>  you guys could at least add a option to eliminate this problem…

Seth, we have an option in the tabbed browsing options to always open pop-up windows in tabs.  That should solve your problem!  If you’d like you can set "Let IE decide" with this option windows that have certain restrictions on them will open in a new window, the rest in new tabs.

47. Aaron Sauve [MSFT] says:

> Alt+N doesn’t work in Windows XP?

> What’s information bar?

The information bar is the gold bar that appears when a pop-up, download, or activeX control is blocked in IE 6 SP2 or greater.  Alt+N will give focus to the information bar when it is present.

48. Aaron Sauve [MSFT] says:

> – F2 and F3 key can action as ‘Prev Tab’ and ‘Next Tab’. This is from Maxthon(MyIE2), and is my favourite shortcut key with F1 as ‘New Tab’.

For IE F1 is Help, F3 is Find Next, so we’d have to remove those shortcuts if we were to adopt the F2/F3 prev/next tab.

> 1) When I click ‘Tools – Toolbars – FlashGet Bar’ to show FlashGet toolbar, Classic Menu Bar(File, Edit, View, … etc) was appeared too, even ‘Tools – Toolbars – Classic Menu’ item didn’t checked! This bug appears even when I showed ‘Links’ toolbar sometimes.

Ah yes, we have a couple of known bugs on the menu appearing when other items are enabled.

> 3) It is nice to show statusbar when IE7 is in fullscreen mode, but we need to see toolbar too. Mouse-on-appear interface is not so comfortable, especially in Tab browser!

You can right click on the toolbar and remove the checkmark from the ‘Auto-Hide’ entry which will give you the desired behavior.  Right click on the full screen button in the top right corner if you are having trouble getting the correct context menu.

> 4) Classic Menu appears when Alt key was pushed. It’s not so serious problem, but It really breaks its design and interface. In same reason, it may be good idea to move Information Bar(which appears when pop-up, activex, download blocked) to below of the screen. Whole page goes down too slowly when Information Bar appears on above of the screen.

We’ve heard some performance concerns with the information bar.  We’re making a slight change to the animation that should help out here.

49. Lordmike says:

@IE team–

Have you changed .sv to .se (Sweden) when using Ctrl+Enter?

Because in IE6 when I type for example aftonbladet and then hit Ctrl+Enter I get http://www.aftonbladet.sv which is suppose to be http://www.aftonbladet.se

Last I read about this, was that you had it so hardcoded it was almost impossible to change (read it in a swedish magazine years ago so I’m not sure about the almost impossible part, since they probably never spoke to you guys).

50. Xepol says:

To those who bitch that IE uses shortcut keys that are different from shortcut keys in different applications : Get over it.  IE is not email, not your chat app, not your paint program.  There are very few keys on a keyboard, there is no way there could possibly be unique keymaps for absolutely every application out there.  Never.  You would not want you music player to have the same shortcuts as word or viceversa, it doesn’t make sense.  Each app has its own set of shortcuts, it is just is what it is.

To the IE Team, I say ignore those who do complain that your ctrl-q isn’t the same as some other apps’s ctrl-q.  If were we talking alt-f4 here, then YA, I would have an issue, but there are very few actual "standard" key-strokes like that, the rest have been left to the application developer to be arbitrary to allow us to flexibly configure our apps as best makes sense.  Continue in that trend.

To the guy who can’t tell which window is focused, check your color scheme and then notice that the focused window has a different toolbar color (see it at the top of the window?).  That would be your first clue.  If you’ve changed your scheme so they all look the same, you might wanna do something about that (like a nice green for teh active window and washed out red for inactive ones… whatever works for you.) .

51. wks says:

> Actually, the second tab stop gives focus to the tab row.

Thanks for the timely response, Aaron.  After further investigation, the actual problem is this: I’m using the developer toolbar, and I’m guessing that the tab focus tries to get set to that, but there is nothing that can take focus there, so the cursor stays at the search box until I press tab again, at which point the focus jumps to the tab bar.  If I turn off the developer toolbar, pressing tab works as expected.

52. Paul S says:

Great work guys!

Xepol: I think people are only complaining because as an OS, the same type of apps in Windows should the same shortcuts for the same thing as it makes the user-experience that much more friendly. If they choose to try another application, in this context going back to IE7 from Firefox, they want things to behave the same or very similarly and they’re more likely to switch if they feel at home using the same key-commands. Just my thoughts on the matter anyways 🙂

I’m waiting for the final version before checking anything as I’m going to have to check sites in IE6 for years to come as it’ll have a far larger audience than IE7 for a good while.

Incidentally, why does the ‘Remember Me?’ option not work? I’m not blocking cookies etc. Using Firefox 1.5.0.1 btw.

Cheers!

53. Mike T says:

When reviewing feed items:

On my machine, "Open links in a new tab in the background – Ctrl+Click" doesn’t work.  It opens the tab in the foreground which is a real pain.  A middle button mouse click (the wheel on my Logitech mouse) just gives me that icon which means I can scroll around the page by moving my mouse – which doesn’t work anyway!

54. Lordmike says:

@Paul S–

I think you need the save forms option checked for that to work.

55. 3 questions

"Scroll down/up the web page Spacebar / Shift+Spacebar"

Is this a mistake? Shouldn’t that be down/up arrow keys ? and PgDn/PgUp keys? and Home/End keys?

I do not see many other keys like Home and End, Ctrl+Home, Ctrl+End and what they do

"

Open links in a new tab in the background Ctrl+Click

Open links in a new tab in the foreground Ctrl+Shift+Click

Open a new tab in the foreground Ctrl+T

"

What about when links are coded with "javascript:" pseudo-protocol? Or even as"#" with an onclick event handler?

This is a very important issue to tackle with evangelisation because it is widely known that "javascript:" pseudo-protocol links interfere with tab-browser advanced features like

Open links in a new tab in the background/foreground.

As I said already in your Channel9.InternetExplorerStandardsSupport page:

"javascript:" pseudo-links are a bad way to create DHTML because

* a) they break accessibility and they fail when javascript support is disabled for various reasons (like: security, corporation policies, public access, text browsers, etc.),

* b) they interfere with the process of indexing webpages by search engines,

* c) they break in assistive technologies and/or other web-aware applications (PDA),

* d) they confuse advanced browser features (middle-click, Ctrl+click), etc.

* e) they also interfere with "mouse gestures" features implemented in browsers.

56. hongson says:

we all need and love keyboard shortcuts,

but IE7 should provide a way to disable and

modify them to personal preference.

this due to potential conflicts with

other shortcut tools (e.g., BHO or

desktop-wide) one may be using.

as a general rule,

i have found both as a developer and a user,

whenever you come up with a feature,

you end up having to provide an option to

defeat it.

57. mocax says:

Can you guys add a new tab in internet options to re-bind keys and mouse combinations to our liking?

maybe implement a "about:config" that exposes hidden tweaks.

In this way, you won’t get people pestering you to change hotkeys/buttons all the time, we can DIY.

oh yea, can you replace the awful looking auto-scroll icon (the one that appears when you middle-click on a page)?

get something more pleasant like the one in Firefox or the square Seamonkey one. Well, unless Vista has an awesome looking one.

58. Viktor says:

Nice to see so many useful shortcuts in IE7.

My personal favorite is Shift+Click which will probalby change to Ctrl+Click in IE7.

BTW I am using Ctrl+Q in Quero Tooblar to jump to the search box. I have chosen Ctrl+Q because it was one of the few keys that were not used in IE6. I will probably let the user decide which function she prefers.

Viktor

59. Alex says:

OK, say, I’m using tabs now. Why I cannot Shift-Click the link and have it opened in a background tab instead of new window? Why I should always think on my actions in browser? I already switched from windows to tabs, why new windows open?

60. Alex says:

Is image toolbar (save, print buttons, etc) gone in IE7?

61. Ondrej says:

As has been mentioned, adding mouse gestures would be nice. I got used to them pretty quickly and nowadays i don’t usually lift my hadn from mouse when brwosing.

Here’s how Opera implements them http://www.opera.com/features/mouse/. Since they have been first to use them so far it can be considered standard.

For comparison, here’s the list of Maxthon mouse gestures:

Double Click on Tab Bar     = New Blank Tab

Gesture: Down               = Scrolls One Page Down

Gesture: Down, Left         = Close All Tabs

Gesture: Down, Right        = close Current Tab

Gesture: Left               = Back

Gesture: Right              = Forward

Gesture: Right, Left, Right = Close Current Tab

Gesture: Up                 = Scroll One Page Up

Gesture: Up, Down           = Refresh

Gesture: Up, Left           = One Tab to the Left

Gesture: Up, Right          = One Tab to the Right

Of course new gestures can be added, and existing ones modified but I guess you would like to have 2 things on mind. 1. IE specific features – mouse gesture that opens  Quick Tabs – how nice would that be? 2. KISS (keep it simple stupid) by default 🙂

62. Axel says:

I don’t know where to put it… so i leave my comment here:

– Why is it not possible to minimize IE7 to the tray? In combination with Desktop Alerts like in Outlook 2003 it could be a very nice feature for RSS…

– Thanks for your artikle, i enjoyed reading it and tried several shortcuts

63. Darren says:

I’d like to have a shortcut in IE7 for the PAGE > TEXT SIXE > SMALLER/GREATER

Does anyone know if this?

64. Может с мышкой и лучше играть в какой-нибудь трёхмерный шутер, но работать в Win

65. Luiz says:

Would be nice if shortucts were more customizable, such as changing / disabling abilities and changing the prefix and suffix that get added with ctrl+enter; maybe even have a few dif. ones, like ctrl+alt+<number> or someting, so people can have a few dif. types of addresses…

66. Andreas says:

Have no use for adding .com to addresses. Would rather need other suffixes with Ctrl+Enter which is better than Ctrl+Shift+Enter.

BTW: where is the option to change behavour of Ctrl+Shift+Enter?

67. Analgesia says:

please add:

Go to the Toolbar Search Box Ctrl+K

just like in firefox

68. Guy Barrette says:

Looking for the new IE7 keyboard shortcuts?&amp;nbsp;

69. Jason Cross says:

Hopefully even after all these comments, you’re still reading them.

I wholeheartedly agree that middle-clicking links and tabs is the best way to interact with the browser – this is how I’ve been using Firefox all this time, and Avant Browser before that.

It’s a little bit broken in IE7, though. It’s inconsistant. If I have my Links bar showing (which I do), an I middle-click on a folder full of links, I don’t get the expected behavior. It SHOULD open all the contained links in tabs. What happens is that it opens a seperate window full of .lnk files, which is completely unintuitive. The same goes for the Favorites window on the left. Middle-clicking on a whole folder of shortcuts in there does nothing, but you have to left-click the little arrow to open the whole group of shortcuts in new tabs. Again, it’s breaking the metaphor set up by the browser’s behavior in normal web surfing.

Please, IE team, make it so that a middle-click opens a link in a new background tab and a folder of links in a whole bunch of background tabs, EVERYWHERE in the browser.

70. steveng says:

Great post.

The only thing I can thing of that I would like to see change is that the functionality of ctrl-click and ctrl-shift-click should be swapped.  That is, make open new tab in foreground window == ctrl-click, and make open new tab in background window == ctrl-shift-click.

I am more likely, more often to open a new link in a forground tab than a background tab, and it should be the simpler keystroke sequence.

71. Axel says:

It would be nice if shortucts were completely customizable. I often wonder why there are so few options in IE7 who care about the look and feel…why can’t I cange CTRL+E (search) to CTRL+F f.e.?

72. gogobu says:

Few points I’d like to share:

1. Regarding the "Close current tab" command, why can’t it be "Ctrl+F4" which is more of a standard way of closing current window instead of the strange "Ctrl+W"?

2. Switch between tabs is one of my most used function among all tab enabled browsers. "Ctrl+Tab" is certainly very useful, however if you have like 10+ tabs opened at the same time it becomes hard to use. What I often used in this situation is the command to "Switch to adjacent tab" – in other words, "previous tab" and "next tab". The hotkeys for these two would be "Ctrl+ArrowLeft" and "Ctrl+ArrowRight".

I’m sure it’s no big deal from an implementation point of view to add these two hotkey mappings, but it’ll just make the overall browsing experience a much better one.

73. Mike_J says:

For users, consistency is the king among applications.  We are developing tabbed browser based on IE engine(Tablane browser). We have introduced some new shortcuts. Some of  them conflict with IE. Such as Ctrl+Q. In Tablane, it closes current Tab and show previous. Although it is very nature side by side with Ctrl+W( to close current and show next), for consistency, we will change the shortcut key. As it is very hard to choose another Ctrl+ Keys to close current and show previous Tab, we suggest to use Alt+W to close current Tab and show previous tab.

Another cool feature in Tablane is to scrolling web page. Ctrl+Mouse Move(do not need to press mouse) vertical scrolling, Alt+Mouse horizontal scrolling.  And Ctrl+Alt+Mouse move scrolling in all directions.  None of any other browser has this feature.

Another shortcuts are Shift+Mouse Click on Favorites/Menu, Links button, it opens target in new Tab, and also Shift+Enter in address bar, Shift+Enter in search box, will open new Tab. Together with Shift+click on links ,they are all consistent.  I don’t think Alt+Enter  in the address bar to open new Tab is a good choice.

74. Olivier says:

I would like when giving focus to the search textbox all the text is selected in order to enter quickly a new search.

75. mocax says:

I believe Ctrl+W is now the "standard" shortcut for closing windows (not applications).

Similar to how Ctrl+C/X/V replaced the Shift+Delete, Shift+Insert keys of past.

76. ivan says:

IE7 non works with italian key : è , ì ,  à ?

GRRRHHH!!!

ivan@arcmedia.it

77. Andrew Denny says:

Great tips, thanks. Can we have them as a downloadable, printable (PDF) reference sheet?  I want to have them on the wall in front of me until they are burned into my typing habits.

78. Zulhairi says:

You guys did a great job on keyboard lover. But I really need you guys to work on mouse gesture. I have this habit of open new tabs when opening a list of links. Clicking middle button won’t do it. I need an easier mouse gesture, like clicking on the link and move the mouse slightly. – been using Maxthon.

One more thing, clicking ‘E-mail inbox’ in MSN Messenger 7.5 seems to open a new window of IE, instead of tab in a pre-opened window. Can you collaborate with the Messenger team to fix that?

79. Hello to IE7 team,

I red about one feature what could be good in IE7 – URL alias. When I write to URL bar for example “s”, browser will replace “s” with “http://search.msn.com” (or “g” with “http://www.google.com”). It is much faster than long writing. Thank you.

80. Neil B. says:

In IE6, I was able to highlight part of the url and use the Edit/Copy menu to copy part of the url. In IE7, I can no longer do this.

Can you fix this so that I can copy a whole or partial url using the menu Edit/Copy?

Thanks,

Neil

81. Hans Olsson says:

Vaclac:

Already IE6 had aliases:

In IE’s adress bar you can write the name of any of your favorites and it goes there. (Use if you use folders).

So add Google as a favorite with the description ‘g’.

Simply isn’t it?

82. joe says:

I’d like to have a shortcut in IE7 for the PAGE > TEXT SIze > SMALLER/GREATER

I second that. Or have a button that directly gives you a menu of text size selection, like in IE6. That was probably the most used button I had on IE6. You need this because you’ve changed the CTRL+MouseWheel function.

83. Ross says:

I have a site opened in an active tab, how to I open a second identical tab? Is there a shortcut to do that?

It would be nice if I could drag the URL from the address bar to an empty new tab.

Thanks

84. Neil B. says:

I’d like to have a shortcut in IE7 for the PAGE > TEXT SIze > SMALLER/GREATER

Yes. Microsoft guys may not know this but Eudora changes the font size on IE to a smaller size. I constantly have to readjust this setting. Is there any way you can optionally "lock it" so that another application (Eudora) doesn’t change the font size?  This is true for all version of Eudora back to the furthermost reaches of time, btw.

85. If I have two IE7 browser windows open, is there a way I can move (maybe drag) the content window from the 2nd session into a new tab on the first window?

Two reasons I ask:

1.  I use a dual monitor display, and run an instance of IE on each physical monitor.

If I open something in a tab in monitor A, somtimes I want to keep it open but move it over to monitor B.

2. Sometimes I can’t right-click on a hyperlink and "open in new tab".  When I’m forced to see a new IE window open, I’d like to be able to move the content back into a tab and have only one IE window open with multiple tabs only.

86. What is the shortcut for print preview?

87. Kevin Dente says:

The kbd shortcut that I would love to see is "jump to first *visible* tabstop". I’m so tired of scrolling halfway down a long document, hitting tab, and having IE scroll all the back to the top. It really hinders kbd-based browsing.

88. Tony Austin says:

You say:

Change the text size (will be Zoom in IE 7) … Ctrl+Mouse wheel Up/Down

Why, why, why have you UNILATERALLY decided to do this?

It looks like oyu’ve never heard of the "Do No Harm Principle" … see http://notestoneunturned.blogspot.com/2005/07/do-no-harm-principle.html for a little about this as being BADNESS in terms of design philosophy and user relationships)!

I will be quite severely affected by this change, as I use the mouse scroll wheel many times per day to change text size.

BUT if you insist on doing this (because "we know best", so there) then you really must provide another somple way to chNge text size.

One good way would be to mimic (for text size) the hotspot near the right of the status bar which cycles through 100% – 125% – 150% – 100% zoom levels.

Or maybe set  Ctrl + Shift + Scroll Wheel (or even Shift + Scroll Wheel) for changing text size, or something similar.

Text size changing is pretty common for those with poor eyesight, high-resolution screens, or those pathetically-designed Web sites that utilize tiny text.

Zooming is quite useful in its own right. But it causes everything to change size at the same time, not just the [resizable] text but also the tables or whatever that contain the text.

89. Erwin Geiger says:

Nobody, including MS!, mentions shift+enter! In IE7 and FireFox this appends the .net domain to the url.

90. Erwin Geiger says:

Please remove the last remark (about the shift+enter), I found out this was not true! It only work in FF… sorry.

91. Tony Austin says:

I tried IE7 Beta 2 for a few days last week, then uninstalled it chiefly because it killed off the use of Ctrl+Mouse wheel up/down for text resizing NOT ONLY inside IE7 itself BUT ALSO inside other applications!

Just one example of such other applications is the Eudora e-mail client. (I’ve been using Eudora since 1993 or thereabouts, before Internet Explorer even appeared on the scence in WOndows 95, and continue to use it because for me it has some handy features and behaviour that Outlook doesn’t.) This app renders incoming messages in either text or HTML. Just as on a large proportion of Web sites, incoming mail in HTML format often displays in text that’s too tiny to easily read. Because IE7 kills off the ability to use the Mouse wheel to resize HTML text, this alone was unbearable enough caused me to uninstall IE7 after a day or two. (I found everything else in IE7 Beta 2 was fine and excepet for the Mouse Wheel gaffe was prepared to keep using using it more or less indefinitely.)

The moral of the story is "little things mean a lot" and you seem to have been rather capricious in breaking this keyboard shortcut established  in IE6 (or earlier, was it).

With IE6 installed, this shortcut also works just fine in other apps like Eudora which use Microsoft’s HTML-rendering engine, but with IE7 installed this nice capability  has been taken away from us.

So, "do no harm" … Keep the current IE6 behavior of Ctrl+Mouse wheel for changing text size, and use something such as Ctrl+Shift+Mouse wheel for zooming.

92. TulsaMichael says:

For some reason, I am unable to get ctrl-click to open the clicked link in a new tab… it opens it in a whole new window. Not what I wanted at all! I think I may have tweaked a setting somewhere along the way in an earlier version of IE, but I have no idea what it might be.

93. Suat Ural says:

Have you ever noticed that scrollbar in the pinned favorites sidebar won’t respond to mouse wheel just after a page starts loading. This is not the case in Firefox and Netscape. My mouse is MS notebook optical wheel mouse:)

94. Lubos Motl says:

These shortcuts are undoubtedly great, except for one thing. I am using several keyboard – Czech and English – and I used to switch in between them by ctrl/enter or alt/enter. Neither of these things work with the main window of IE7, and other combination of keys can’t be chosen in Control Panel / Regional Settings. Do you have a solution? If you do, send me a comment to motl at feynman.harvard.edu. Thanks, Lubos

95. Lubos Motl says:

I apologize for some typos. The keys switching between languages are, of course, ctrl/shift or alt/shift. The word "enter" was a typo. Also, I forgot to propose a fix. In my opinion, the right behavior should simply be that if you press ctrl/shift or alt/shift, the new IE7 actions modifying the way how the new windows would be opened would still apply, but it would also switch in between the keyboards or languages at the same moment. I am pretty sure that the people who use the keys to switch between the keyboards don’t want to give up their key combination, like me. On the other hand, the people who don’t use these keys to switch languages will be able to use the new meaning of the keys. In my opinion, these meanings can co-exist. Even if I were using the keys for both functions, it would not be a big problem if the keyboard switched to the new language for a new window, especially because it is very easy to switch it back – unlike now when switching the keyboards with IE7 is extremely time-consuming.

96. xh.deng says:

I had been using the "Ctrl+Shift" key sequence for switching between input languages. But it fails with IE7, what’s the matter?

97. I always wanted a keystroke that put the current page address in the clipboard. It would be great for blogging and other page development where you link to other sites.

98. ieblog says:

Xh.deng,

It is a bug. We’ve fixed it in the builds so you shouldn’t run into it when the Beta 2 build is released.

– Al Billings [MSFT]

99. I found a blog entry on the Internet Explorers Team Blog with all the shortcuts in Internet Explorer…

100. Rob Relyea says:

I’m loving the work many of my former teammates (I was an IE PM working on DHTML’s programmibility from…

101. The professional programmer encounters a variety of challenges and annoyances

in the line of duty,…

102. IEBlog says:

Hello, this is Kelly Ford, a test lead on the IE team and a big keyboard user of Internet Explorer.

103. &amp;nbsp;   Hello, this is Kelly Ford, a test lead on the IE team and a big keyboard user of Internet Explorer….

104. Talking to others who have upgraded to Build 5456 of Vista, it is clearly better than the Original Beta…

105. Aaron over at the IEBlog posted a great compilation of IE 6/7 keyboard shortscuts back in February, but…

106. IEBlog says:

My name is Seth McLaughlin and I have been working as a Program Manager intern on the User Experience…

107. Since we now know that Internet Explorer 7.0 is coming out this week I thought I would post to links

108. Mabsterama says:

Straight from the horse&#39;s mouth over at the Internet Explorer Team Blog , here are some handy keyboard

109. free music video codes myspace tilly and the wall

110. Pessoal, trago agora uma dica para aqueles que são amantes dos atalhos de teclado e se orgulham de conseguir…

111. Amigos, volto a falar de IE neste post para compartilhar com vocês links de artigos importantíssimos…

112. [2 blogs ago (back on what is now windows-now.com), I blogged about the IE7 Search Bar + Open Search

113. Weddings says:

114. Tip of the Day #5 (Keyboard Shortcuts in IE)