Frequently Asked Questions for the IE7 Beta 2 Preview

The information published in this post is now out-of-date and one or more links are invalid.

—IEBlog Editor, 22 August 2012

Hi, I’m Al Billings. I’m a project manager on the Internet Explorer team. I haven’t posted before but you have probably seen comments from me from time to time on the blog. I’m involved in the regular work with it. Today, we have been getting a lot of questions in comments on our blog posts in response to the release of the IE7 Beta 2 Preview. I wanted to try to wrap most of these up in one post so people don’t have to hunt for answers to common questions.

Questions

1. Where can I read more details on what is in the IE7 Beta 2 Preview?

We will be doing a series of blog posts in the upcoming days highlighting the new features in the IE7 Beta 2 Preview with quite a bit of detail. These will answer a lot of questions about how the new features work.

The Internet Explorer Developer Center contains additional information for this preview release, including a series of articles on Security and Compatibility in IE7.

In addition to these, we have release notes for the preview available at http://msdn.microsoft.com/ie/releasenotes/ which detail the changes at a high level, list known issues and discuss installation and uninstallation of the preview release.

2. What operating systems does the preview work on?

This release is only for Windows XP Service Pack 2 for x86 processors as detailed on the Beta 2 Direct Page. Other versions of Windows are not supported for this preview. We expect to offer IE7 for x64 and Windows 2003 Server SP1 in a future preview.

The preview has also only been released for English but can be installed on localized versions of Windows.

3. If I installed IE7 Beta 1, can I just install the Beta 2 Preview on top of it?

No, the Beta 2 Preview will not let you install on top of Beta 1. If you are currently running the first Beta, it must be uninstalled first. Beta 1 can be removed by accessing Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Show Updates and finding it in the list there. Once you uninstall it, you can install the Beta 2 Preview.

4. Can I run the preview and IE6 at the same time?

No, the preview is a system upgrade that replaces IE6 on your computer with the preview code.

As Chris Wilson pointed out, “‘IE’ is actually a collection of system components – networking, browser hosting, core HTML rendering, printing, etc. When we install a new version of IE, we’re installing it for all applications that use these system components – including the tiny iexplore.exe itself.” Because of this, we do not support the various hacks that allow side by side running of IE6 and the IE7 Beta 2 Preview. Running with these could cause issues with the stability of a system.

5. I can’t seem to get Windows Genuine Advantage to work for installation. What can I do?

Please go to http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ww/windows/default.mspx and try the steps listed there.
    Our installer for the preview used WGA and this cannot be bypassed. The Windows Genuine Advantage team wants to be sure that Windows users can install their software so they really do want to know about any issues that you may run into using WGA.

6. How do I uninstall the preview?

To uninstall Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview and return to Internet Explorer 6 on Windows XP
    1. Click “Start,” and then click “Control Panel.”
    2. Click “Add or Remove Programs.”
    3. Check “Show Updates” at the top of the dialog box.
    4. Scroll down the list to “Windows XP – Software Updates,” select “Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2Preview,” and then click “Change/Remove.”

If “Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 Preview” does not exist, run %windir%$NtUninstallie7bet2p$spuninstspuninst.exe. You need to have “view hidden folders” enabled. %windir% is your Windows installation directory, which is normally ‘C:Windows’ on most systems.

7. I am getting an error stating that msfeeds.dll cannot be found. What do I do?

Some anti-spyware and anti-virus software is known to interfere with IE7’s ability to install. We do not recommend disabling these programs and if the steps below don’t help you, we recommend that you wait until a future release in which we hope to have addressed the problem. Please don’t hesitate to send feedback (via newsgroups, email, or the feedback reporting tool) and let us know which software programs are causing this problem so we can be sure to follow up with them.

The most common cause is permissions being set to read only for certain entries in the Windows registry. This has been discussed in microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general newsgroup (accessible through the web here) by Stephen Anacker. He gave this workaround for the problem:

This happened because the permissions on a registry key has been changed. On install we archive all the keys which involves both reading and writing to the keys. Some application has changed the permissions on the .tif and .tiff registry keys to not allow administrator full control over the key. What we need to do is change the permissions to allow the administrator to right and archive the key. This is the workaround, it involves changing registry keys so do this at your own risk.
    1. Reboot your system to make sure any changes made by previous installation attempts are completely rolled back
    2. Go to Start then “Run” type “regedit” in the run box and enter.
    3. In regedit expand HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT in the left pane and the scroll down to the entry “.tif”
    4. Right click on the entry in the left pane, select “permissions…”
    5. In the permissions box select the “administrators” group.
    6. Click on the “Advanced” button at the lower right.
    7. Select administrators and click edit.
    8. In the next dialogue check to allow box for “full control”.
    9. Repeat this with the .tiff key
    10. Save and close.
    11. Install IE7

8. Where can I report issues or give feedback?

We want to hear your feedback on this release. Jason Watters posted a blog entry on how to send us feedback here. Jason says:

You can post any questions or problems you have to the microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general newsgroup, either through a newsgroup reader or on the Microsoft Discussion Groups site.

We also have two ways for you to submit detailed bug reports to us if the newsgroup isn’t your style. The first way to report issues directly to us is by sending email to IETell@microsoft.com. To better equip us to investigate your issue, please include a detailed description of the problem and steps to reproduce the problem (e.g. for site issues, a URL to the website and if possible a screenshot of rendering issues). General machine configuration and installed toolbars or extensions can also be useful as well, and (if you know) whether the problem occurs in IE 6.0.

Also, please send your report from a valid email address so we can follow up with you if needed. We can’t commit to responding to each and every email we get, but all issues reported will be examined by the IE team in an effort to improve IE7.

The second way to report issues directly to us is the Microsoft Beta Client Tool, which is a client-side tool you will need to install. Although it may look specific to Windows Vista, it can be used for submitting IE7 bugs. On the first page of the tool, just make sure you choose “This install ‘is an Internet Explorer 7 update on Windows XP’” and set Area to ‘Internet Explorer’.

I hope that this has been helpful to people in answering questions.

– Al Billings

1. "Our installer for the preview used WGA and this cannot be bypassed."

The WGA did not work for me – message: technical problems – but I was able to install IE7. (I use an original OEM version of XP delivered with my notebook.)

If I uninstall the preview do I have to install IE6 again?

2. ieblog says:

If you uninstall the preview, it reverts you back to your pre-preview state.

– Al Billings [MSFT]

3. Maximo Martinez says:

Are you guys getting errors on MSFT Partner Program Site?

Thanks.

4. sIKE says:

Yes I am having issues with the partner site.

5. Srikanth says:

IE 7 Beta 2 is awesome!

Quick Tab rocks!

Great work IE team.

6. Seth says:

So we can’t run it at the same time with IE6. That’s excellent! I’m with you all the way there. I think we should ditch IE6 and all other previous versions and only look forward. If someone visits a site using IE6 then let’s just hope it turns out okay, right? Right on, IE team.

Who says we should test sites in all other browsers? I know I certainly don’t need to now that Firefox–I mean Maxthon–I mean IE7 is here. Wait, I know a big client of mine that is hestitant to upgrade and took forever to switch to IE6. I don’t mind forking over $130 for Virtual PC and watching my productivity slow to a crawl switching back and forth for testing. The client pays the bills, right? Right on, IE team.

You folks did a fantastic job making us choose between IE7 or IE6 but not both. We all know IE6 is trash anyway. Great job building that so tightly into the OS making future standalone versions impossible. Way to plan that one out! Right on, IE team.

Right on.

You say you can’t do it. Find a way. For just once, please make developers’ lives easier instead of making us use the hacks and methods that you guys make so necessary.

Warmest regards,

Seth

7. Pat says:

I don’t understand why IE can’t just be standards compliant. I’m so sick of doing hacks for IE, and I’m not happy I’m going to have to retrofit my existing sites to remove, say, the Holly hack.

If you’re improving css, why not fix it ALL?

8. Bobby G. says:

Honestly, it’s truly shamful how far off IE7 is from completing the Acid2 test:

9. Andrew Hilton says:

Seth,

Perhaps you want Safari to run on your windows box as well? Get yourself a test environment and stop these pointless complaints.

10. blogZero says:

Microsoft has released the second beta of its IE7 browser. Also provided is a Web developer checklist for testing your sites and code. If you plan on evaluating the new release, I also recommend consulting the IE7 blog FAQ.

Via WASP.

11. Ron says:

Thanks for clearing up a few of those questions.

12. Adam says:

All I can say is it’s about time. And it actually runs decent. Albeit a few bugs here and there, but wow.

13. jace says:

Can the icon be fixed in the Start Menu to be consistent with the Internet Explorer icon elsewhere?

thanks

14. ieblog says:

Seth,

Al Billings [MSFT]

15. ieblog says:

Bobby G.,

– Al Billings [MSFT]

16. Real Dev says:

Real devs don’t whine. So much for web devs.

17. Tommi says:

"You could not run IE6 side by side with IE5.5, IE5, or IE5. This is not a change. IE versions are full system upgrades."

But the change in browser behaviour and page rendering from IE6 to IE7 is so big that it should warrant a possibility for the devs to test their pages on both browsers for compatibility.

The fact that most css-hacks will no work in IE7, will require web devs to either write pages for IE7-only or make sites that work on both IE7 and IE6. The latter option will require testing in BOTH browsers.

I’d imagine web devs will still need to program pages so they work for earlier versions of IE for quite a while. Big companies are not going to jump into IE7 the day it’s released.

18. For the advanced users amongst us (and those that don’t mind quirky software). Get it from here. Note:…

19. Mark says:

No way. Forget it. If there is no way to run IE7 Beta AND the existing bodgy IE6, we will certainly be putting a "Do NOT use IE7 on our website … go use an open source alternative" notice on the front web page. We have no way we can buy that many machines to test our systems in two versions. We’d be happy to encourage this long overdue revision, but what a shame MS can’t build a standalone. Perhaps it’s a deliberate strategy, and maybe that will work on the general population, but for now, just watch the "No IE7 support on this site" banners appear.

What a pity the opportunity has been lost.

20. TheTOM_SK says:

About 5. WGA: I wasnot able to validate IE neither, then I have found out, that my firewall is blocking something and when I allow it, validation worked. Just my 2 cents. 😉

21. Nikolai Lalev says:

There is weird bug, within the installer procedures.

The case is this –

While i was trying to uninstal, the Beta 1 build which i was using, until now – the IE Beta 1 selection, is removing itself ok, from the Add/Remove window, but stil nothing happens – beta 1 i still there, and i can’t install Beta 2.

Guess the problem is comming from me, not closing the active windows of IE 7 Beta 1, and then perhaps the uninstal procedure for IE7 Beta 1 is failing somehow ..

One of my coleagues already, installed the Beta 2 – it is great :)) Keep up the good work

So about my problem ? Any suggestions guys ??

🙂

22. rch says:

I cannot understand the obstinacy of IE developers who maniacally claim that “IE7 will not work side-by-side with IE6! Never! No way! Don’t even try!”

Many years Web developers DO use “hacks” to run several IE simultaneosly, and they soon WILL use another “hacks” to run IE7 alongside with previous versions. We make sure that it’s EASY to run various versions of IE under one system. And since it’s really easy, I wonder why IE developers try to convince that it’s nearly a crime. It’s a strange superstition.

23. Roland says:

Very helpful list!

The many people with a CRT monitor have the problem that the fonts in IE and OE now look fuzzy, because ClearType is on by default in the preview.

Perhaps you could add a tip how to turn off ClearType in the Preview.

(Unfortunately, Outlook Express then still uses ClearType).

Roland

24. Mazso says:

Maybe this will help running different versions of IE in Windows XP Pro:

25. Ross says:

Standalone, or Stand Alone (out in the cold with no friends)

MS plans on spending millions on new marketing to help not look like big ugly company. How about treating web developers with some respect?

Standalone! Standalone! Standalone! Standalone! Standalone! Standalone! Standalone! Standalone!

26. Seth says:

Al, how is this a valid response? Not being able to run IE6 with IE5.x prove my point even more. You can’t install them side by side but you sure can run them. This site allows us to do that:

If this guy can create a quick workaround, why can’t Microsoft? Sure, it’s ugly but it allows developers to do our jobs. Imagine how much happier developers would be if you created a standalone version? Do you honestly think that having Virtual PC or multiple computers just for testing is productive compared to being able to run multiple versions on the same machine?

I’m saying that you SHOULDN’T make IE "full system upgrades." This only makes our jobs difficult. You say you’re listening to us but you continue to ignore one of the biggest issues.

Seth

27. devver says:

By using this technique for Beta1

I’ve managed to get IE7B2 running side by side with IE6, with one (major!) caveat:

IE7 works fine the first time I launch it with that batch file, and IE6 works afterwards, but if I try and then launch IE7 a 2nd time it closes immediately…

I’m not expecting any help from MS on this subject, but I’m sure one of you developers will know what’s going wrong!

cheers guys

28. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

<<If this guy can create a quick workaround, why can’t Microsoft? >>

No one is claiming that it’s a "crime" to try to run these side-by-side, but please save everyone some confusion and do not report any bugs that occur in this configuration. It is not supported for good reasons.

Thanks for your interest!

29. QuirksBlog says:

&lt;p&gt;The release of Explorer 7 beta 2 has raised some questions, especially about maintaining the various
      IE versions you may have on your computer. Basically the beta overwrites IE 6, and &lt;a href=&quot;http://labs.insert-title.com/labs/Multiple-IEs-in-Windows_article795.aspx&quot;

30. Snavebelac says:

I have a machine running IE5, 5.5, 6 and now IE7 beta 2 with no problems. It’s easy and it works – it’s just not supported.

Cookies do not function correctly on 5 and 5.5 (I have not tried 7 yet) but otherwsie everything is great.

I used the link posted by devver above

SB

31. Thomas Tallyce says:

The usual iexplore.exe.local workaround seems to work fine:

Unzipping the IE6 standalone file at:

fpp=20&did=8&fid=10

(assuming you trust that site) then just running iexplore.exe seems to work fine.

32. Jan says:

I don’t understand why an added feed does not update on rendering it from the feeds bookmarks section. On default, it’s set to update only once a day, is this not too little?

33. Alex Iskold says:

Alex

34. Nikhli says:

Hi guys, great release,

But can someone please tell me why my cookies aren’t being saved and i’m having to log onto various sites (such as forums) and windows live beta every time i go to them, when with IE6 they would remember my log in. Is there anyway to get around this?

35. Jonah Dienye says:

I agree with Jan above. The feeds in IE7 do not update automatically when they’re clicked on. I discovered I had to right-click on Refresh for a particular feed, and then click on the feed again before I got a current listing. Bad, bad, bad. Please fix.

36. Scott says:

When in uninstall the IE7 Beta 2 Preview from Add/Remove Programs, click update and select IE7, will IE6 be completely restored to the point in time before the Beta code was installed?

Will all my Internet Explorer Security Updates and Hotfixes still be joined at the hip with IE6? I’m worried that if i try to update Windows this month in the monthly updates, and if it has an IE6 update, that it will fail (obviously) because i have the Preview Code.

Could a Microsoft IE7 Team Member verify exactly what happens after uninstallation?

37. When will ie7 (if not already) come with the active x lockdown

38. Spike says:

"We’ve written about the Acid2 test before. It is not a compliance test but is, instead, a wish list. We’ve been clear that we were not going to pass this test since we were first asked about this. The author of the test is well aware of this."

Fact is that this wishlist is where you should be at. Unless it renders properly on the acid tests, you broke it. Pure and simple. IE7, like others before it, is broken. You’ve taken steps to fix it, and you’ve spent an awful lot of time on the GUI – but that was never the problem. Trident is the problem. It isn’t a subjective issue, like Windows XP vs. Mac OS X, this is an issue that can be tested and proven, and the fact is that you’re miles behind.

I don’t expect an answer from you, because I know you don’t answer the tough questions, but why the hell can you not fix these problems? You must be aware of them.

If you think Firefox’s rising market share is going to be sullied by your releasing a new version of a browser that still uses a grotesquely out of date rendering engine, then you’re mistaken. I’m really, really angry with this release. You’ve actually delivered so little. Great job.

39. Srikanth says:

Any thoughts/ suggestions on how to remove the IE 7 .beta 1 from Windows Vista?

Tried add/remove programs, couldn’t get the IE uninstall available.

I would like to load IE 7 Beta 2 on it.

Any help is appreciated!

40. Seth says:

"The problem is that his workaround doesn’t really work. Doing this type of hack creates a Frankenstein-browser that uses bits of both the IE7 Beta 2 Preview and the legacy IE6 browser. All sorts of COM-gnarliness ensues, and bugs abound. Prove it to yourself by watching what DLLs are loaded using something like Process Explorer from SysInternals.com.

Thanks for your interest!"

Yes and thank you for your lack of interest there. I never said it was a crime and I wasn’t reporting any bugs. I simply said that the IE team should make it possible because these "Frankenstein-browsers" are what we have to resort to using to get our jobs done. Wouldn’t you want us using something reliable insead of ad-hoc solutions? I know I would.

Push the envelope here and amaze us by creating stand-alone versions of IE including IE7. It’s what we want.

Seth

41. Michael says:

overflow:visible doesn’t seem to work anymore on textareas, even with height:auto. How to make it work ? That was a cool feature in IE6.

42. Damon says:

Seth, have you thought about those of us who make use of the IE html engine but in an application rather than the browser? You want side-by-side just so you can open iexplore.exe 6.0 vs 7.0. I don’t do that, because I have html applications that are not run in a browser. How exactly does "side-by-side" here work for me? This is not the .Net framework; there’s no concept of side-by-side binaries for DLLs that are named the same. Even if they were named differently, the html app is expecting to use classes that are named the same. Without overwriting the binaries, there’s no way to distinguish between the two. If you used the underlying engine for Safari or Mozilla (not the browser itself) to create HTML apps, you’d run into exactly the same problem. Not everyone works in the browser only; the system is designed to be more flexible (and less, at the same time) than that.

43. yet another web developer says:

To: Al Billings, Eric Law (or any MSFT employee)

Ok, this is *really* starting to "bug me".

(read: lots of swear words removed, in hope that you will actually read this, instead of delete it.)

Hundreds of requests for a public bug tracking system have gone unanswered. Take a stand! and post it!

*MICROSOFT* does require a public bug tracking system for IE7, and I’m about to explain why.

1.) Dozen’s of duplicate bugs are being submitted, because *WE* can’t search for them before submitting.

2.) *WE* have no way of *CONFIRMING* if a bug has been *duplicated/confirmed* by Microsoft.

3.) *WE* have no way to search for *RELATED* bugs, or *DEPENDENCIES* for each bug.

4.) *WE* have no way to submit *PRIVATE* security hole related bugs (wait for it!), *WITH* a communication confirmation/trail.

5.) *WE* have no way to determine if a bug status is "WON’T GET FIXED", "WILL GET FIXED, in a future PATCH", "BEFORE PUBLIC RELEASE", "TARGET: IE7.5" etc. No offence on this one, but there is no way I am going to develop web app widgets/gadgets etc. for IE7, if I don’t have any clue as to when support might be there, I’m not going to waste my time. If I can see, that it is flagged as a "Confirmed – Target: Before IE7 Public Release", or "Target IE7.5" then fine, I’ll commit to stubbing it in, but until then, why would I waste time on something that might end up a "WONT FIX"?!?!?

I will not waste any more of my time, attempting to debug your browser, unless you make the process worthwhile.

There’s a reason why open source projects are so darn hot these days. They listen to the end users, and invite them to participate.

44. If we used the Acid2 test as a benchmark for releasing browsers, us Windows users would have no browser to use. There is no Windows browser that meets Acid2.

I’ve uncovered a few things:

* padding no longer adds to the width of a box when position is set to absolute. Example, a div with position:absolute;width:300px;padding:10px; will render smaller than a container with position:relative;width:300px;padding:10px;

* min-height, max-height, min-width, and max-width still don’t appear to be supported

* :hover seems to be in but :focus is not.

45. Spike says:

snooks: no, we’d simply have had to wait longer for good browsers to be released.

46. abc says:

I noticed that opening Acrobat Reader in Internet Explorer 7 forces the classic menu toolbar to be visible. This is not necessary at all.

I btw don’t like it when a word document is loaded in Internet Explorer. There are no word buttons, not even a button to save the document to disk and open it in Microsoft word.

47. SputniQ says:

I get this error when i try to start IE 7 Beta 2:

Signature Error:

AppName: iexplore.exe AppVer: 7.0.5296.0 ModName: ieframe.dll

ModVer: 7.0.5296.0 Offset: 00081b62

Any solution for this?

48. Adrian says:

If there are problems with my site but it works perfectly in Firefox and IE6 is this something I should fix or are there still css changes to come.

The main issue for me seems to be when specifying a width style to an a or input tag

Thanks

Adrian

49. Luke says:

I’ve tried the official IE7 Beta2 Preview and it seems incompatible with Mcafee VirusScan 10. Mcafee VirusScan 8,9,10 uses ActiveX components in order to show some interface elements and with IE7 it’s impossible use Mcafee VirusScan because the ActiveX are not initialized (the windows of the mcafee appear blank). Why?

50. Bob127 says:

Is there a preliminary release date for IE7?

(like a roadmap),

it was said earlier that IE7 was intended to be released same time as Longhorn (q4 2006) but I got the impression it was moved forward,

any latest rumors/hints on when?

thanks

51. salik says:

my msn messenger 7.0 does not work with internet explorer 7 beta 2.wat do i do?it used to work with ie6.plz help,till that time im changing bak to ie6.

52. Fye R. Fox says:

53. I Hate It says:

Here Here to Yet Another Web Developer above.

I expect that with no public bug tracking IE7 will be right back where IE6 is now. Hundreds of bugs, documented on thousands of seperate sites, with no clear plan to address any of them.

That is not the browser experience I want for development.

54. ieblog says:

Srikanth,

The IE7 Beta 2 Preview will not run on Vista. It is only for Windows XP SP2.

Al Billings [MSFT]

55. ieblog says:

Yet Another Web Developer,

We have heard the requests made by a number for a public bug tracking database. We do not have one at this time but you have been heard. If we do create one, it will be announced but no decisions have been made at time as it would be quite a change for us (and I do agree that it is possibly a good change) and would require a lot of work on our part to do correctly.

– Al Billings [MSFT]

56. DP says:

I just installed beta 2 preview of IE7 and, first impressions, WOW, great browser, until I dived in a little, I saw a lot of flaws IE6 did not have, such as some text becoming a link, when this is not specified…also css support is still not up to scratch of what I would expect from such a large corporation. Why cant you match the likes of Firefox? Stop worrying about the looks of the browser and focus on standards support, not Microsoft standards, they totally suk. Im back to Firefox.

57. Valentino says:

I really like the beta 2 its great i like the rss feature and the tab browsing.

58. mystere says:

Anyone calling Acid 2 a "compliance test for CSS web standards." doesn’t understand what Acid 2 is, what a compliance test is, or both.

It’s no such thing. Passing Acid 2 doesn’t mean you’re CSS2 compliant, and you can fail Acid 2 and be 100% compliant (because Acid 2 includes invalid CSS which the standard doesn’t define how to handle it), though nobody is.

At best, Acid 2 is a "This is how these specific test should be handled". Ie, a wishlist. An attempt to standardize behavior.

That’s not to say that this is bad, just please don’t pretend that Acid 2 is any kind of "conformance test". It’s not.

59. Hans says:

I’d like to see an apology from Microsoft for releasing a cruddy product (IE6) in addition to the call for us to fix our ‘hacks’. Let’s not forget that it was this product’s lack of support for standards which made these ‘hacks’ neccessary in the first place. Ironically most of the ‘hacks’ exploit IE’s lack of std’s support.

How many hours of productivity have been lost to IE6?

60. brandon says:

I’m running IE7 beta1, beta2 asks me to uninstall beta1. When i go to uninstall beta1 it says that some programs might not work correctly. Will installing beta 2 make these programs work again?

61. Базовые вопросы: возможность установки параллельно с IE6, поддержка, обновления.

62. cwilso says:

Spike:

Actually, I think we do answer the hard questions, and you just don’t want to listen. The Acid 2 Test is not where we have placed our priorities for IE7 – we’ve placed our priorities on fixing the biggest bugs that cause pain to web developers in the real world. In my opinion, given where we started, we’ve made tremendous progress.

-Chris Wilson [MS]

63. In the advanced prefs, the radio buttons for "searching" via the address field have no default setting. Also, once a radio button is selected, the only way to go back is to reset all your settings. If one of the choices is the default setting, this is not obvious and should be. You also might have considered copying Opera on their highly useful address field feature set. Instead of forcing a search which is surprising to most users, instead navigate the user by adding ".com" as well as the protocol prefix. Navigate is what the user wants to do when they edit the address field wouldn’t you think? A search feature in the address bar is incredibly silly when there are plenty of search features readily available throughout.

64. Marty Fried says:

If you are a real developer, you should not ever rely on non-standard systems (hacks, etc) for your testing. Disk space is super cheap. One old hard disk can dual boot several complete test systems for a true test. And clean systems boot fast, so chill out and stretch for one minute or two while rebooting.

Or, simply keep bitching, and the other developers will eat your lunch.

65. To "Yet another web developer:" You claim that "*WE* have no way to submit *PRIVATE* security hole related bugs (wait for it!), *WITH* a communication confirmation/trail."

Yes you do, and you have for about 4 years. Send email to secure@microsoft.com with a known private security issue and it will be handled, and you’ll be kept in the loop. I work closely with the folks who receive those emails and guarantee that legitimate communications are handled appropriately.

I’m also a little confused as to why you’re upset that we’ve provided several different methods for people to report problems to us. In the past this has been called ‘flexibility.’

-Christopher

66. John says:

Two things that worked really well for me when using tabs via MSN’s tool bars that I found to be missing in IE7’s tabs.

First, I can’t seem to get my Favorite tabs to appear in the order I have them sorted. When a set of tabs are automatically opened via Favorites, they are in alphabetical order.

Second, when a new tab is opened from the current tab, I like it how MSN’s tabs opens the new tab immediately after the current tab and not place it at the end of all tabs.

Thanks.

67. Jon says:

I enjoy the open communication you have with developers so far. Your responses are most helpful. Keep it up!

Simple Suggestions:

1. Give the user the ability to reorder the tabs via dragging it into place.

2. Double click a tab to close, instead of searching for the "x".

3. Allow an option for a new tab to be created and have focus when entering in a new URL into the address bar.

Wish List:

1. Standards compliancy closer to the current open source alternatives. (I know… I know… I’ve read the previous responses from MS.) However, any improvement in this area is a step in the right direction for IE.

2. Developer tools (similar to the tools currently available for IE 6)

Thanks again, keep up the good work!

68. Bogtha says:

@Fye R. Fox,

> Some call Acid2 a "wishlist" and others call it a "compliance test for CSS web standards." By simply writing Acid2 off completely as a silly wishlist, IE7’s goal is obviously to be nothing short of mediocre. Let’s try to get inpired here people… You can pass it if you actually "try" to make an effort.

It’s a bit hypocritical for somebody calling themselves "Fye R. Fox" to say that, isn’t it? Firefox is a long way away from passing the Acid2 test itself.

It’s not a compliance test. It’s not a wishlist per se. It’s a document that combines a series of testcases. These testcases cover more than just HTML and CSS, for example data: URIs. Some of the features covered can legitimately be called "wish list" items. Some are more important.

@mystere,

> Passing Acid 2 doesn’t mean you’re CSS2 compliant, and you can fail Acid 2 and be 100% compliant

Correct.

> because Acid 2 includes invalid CSS which the standard doesn’t define how to handle it

Incorrect.

You can fail Acid2 and be 100% CSS 2 compliant because Acid2 tests more than just CSS.

Acid2 includes invalid CSS *because* the specification defines how to handle it. The specification defines error handling, and the only way to test compliance with this part of the specification is to include errors.

Let me repeat that: not only is the invalid code intentional, it’s absolutely necessary. It tests CSS 2 compliance more thoroughly. If a browser gets the invalid code wrong, then it isn’t CSS 2 compliant, because it’s not following the defined error handling. Here is that part of the CSS 2 specification:

69. foobar says:

I’m hoping tab re-arrangement via drag and drop will be implemented before final release.

As well, "Sort by Name" needs to be in the context menu when showing favourites via the favourites icon.

Mouse gestures need to be added. But I’m sure that would conflict with MS’s mouse department. Heaven forbid us people who just want two buttons on their mouse need to be catered to…

Can’t say I’m too impressed with the Beta. It’s cluttered, I’m not keen on how there’s icons spread left, right and on two different rows. I have to move my mouse everywhere to do anything other than go back/forward.

Not too impressed with most of the comments here either. It’s just the usual I-hate-MS junk. Oh well.

It’s gotten to the point where I’m just going to write my own damned browser. I hate both IE and Firefox (FF has just as many hopeless bugs as IE6 does in terms of HTML/CSS rendering).

70. mystere says:

Jon, I disagree about double-clicking tabs. many users are so trained to double click anything in Windows, this would cause problems. They don’t know when they should single click or double click. It’s VERY poor practice to make double clicks do something "destructive" when a single click wouldn’t.

71. Shining Arcanine says:

Is there any possibility of coming close to passing Acid 2? Making a face appear and the red blackground disappear would be nice.

By the way, Al Billings [MSFT], if you are not going to listen to a wish list, how are you going to comply with Steve Ballmer’s "Developers! Developers! Developers!" thing? Ignoring wish lists is ignoring developers. It is that simple.

72. forgetfoo says:

not sure if this has already been asked, at least in this thread… but out of curiosity, what are the chances of IE7 having a nice script debugger included?

probably the two biggest things i like and use the most in FF is the javascript console and the Find function.

sorry if it’s a repeat.

73. "I’m a project manager on the Internet Explorer team"

…I’ve read that somewhere… how many PM are there for IE?

74. PatriotB says:

Damon wrote: "there’s no concept of side-by-side binaries for DLLs that are named the same."

Actually, Windows XP introduced an infrastructure for side-by-side components (WinSXS). It is used by such components as the Common Controls, GDI+, and WinHTTP. I and several others have posted comments on this blog suggesting that the IE components be moved to this type of side-by-side model. However, the integration between the various IE components may just be to tight for this kind of side-by-side model.

In the comments to another posting, Chris Wilson indicated that Microsoft is possibly investigating some way of at least supporting multiple versions of the rendering engine (MSHTML) side-by-side. This sounds promising, and hopefully it will come to be.

75. PatriotB says:

"Is there a site that describes how to write extensions for new IE 7? For example, if I wanted to add sidebar extension, like History?"

I’m interested as well, on what changes there are between writing extensions for previous IE versions and IE7. I’m assuming that existing Explorer Bands and Comm Bands (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/Shell/programmersguide/shell_adv/bands.asp) will continue to work in IE7, but I’d guess that they won’t be within the Favorites Center panel but will be a separate pane, and tab-specific. Will there be a new method of creating bars that can plug into the Favorites Center?

76. Shining Arcanine says:

Is there any possibility of getting Internet Explorer 7 to pass the standards compliance tests found at the following url:

77. All I can say is congratulations to the IE team! IE6 has become a running joke, but IE7 has managed to prise me away from my precious Firefox for an afternoon. With the exception of the disappearing toolbar, the interface is nice too – although it looks like it was ‘inspired’ by Flock.

The feed reading is my favourite feature so far – all we need now is for transparent PNGs to work properly (seriously, how hard is it to do?) and other such stuff that will no doubt be fixed before the actual release.

78. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@DP: "text becoming a link, when this is not specified…"

This is caused by invalid CSS hacks that no longer work in IE7.

@Jon: " Double click a tab to close, instead of searching for the "x"."

Simply middle-click. Many many users inadvertently double-click things.

@forgetfoo: "what are the chances of IE7 having a nice script debugger"

See http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2004/10/26/247912.aspx

@Eber:

IE has a handful of project managers (managing different aspects of the entire project) and many program managers (each of whom manages one or more features). See http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2004/08/17/216075.aspx for more info.

@PatriotB: You are correct; legacy extensibility points are still active, but we haven’t really introduced new ones for IE7, as the old ones remain very powerful. Yes, these are per-tab, and open their own UI. For IE7, you cannot plug into the Favorites Center UI directly.

79. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@David: "all we need now is for transparent PNGs to work properly"

These should be working fine for you– we are working on one known issue for transparent PNGs in floating DIVs.

Please provide a repro case for the problem you’ve encountered.

80. Weary says:

Why do you guys feel the need to publish PingBacks in the comments?

81. Brent Yager says:

Please provide some UNinstall tools/files for those of us that cannot uninstall IE7B2P. System Restores have been cleaned, uninstallers deleted and the Add/Remove option doesn’t work. I love IE7B2P but just wanted a preview and now can’t get back to IE6.

82. I'm Just Sayin .... hope you're listenin' says:

Several years ago, it was fairly standard practice to "code for IE, and hack for the others". Now, that paradigm has reversed itself, and most COMPETENT developers are coding to standards and hacking for compatibility. This means your code usually just works in most browsers, and then you have to hack it up for IE compatibility.

See, the problem with Microsoft’s strategy is that they left IE6 as ‘abandonware’ for too long. In the interim, the alternative browsers started introducing new and interesting features, piquing the interest of the Internet Browsing Public, and gaining market-share.

Additionally, Mac users are on the rise, as is desktop linux … neither of which have a version of IE to run. (Ok, the Mac has the now-abandoned IE 5.2 which was always terrible, and Linux users can run IE under Wine, but that’s the long way around. I guess Mac users could too, but why would they want to) So, it’s getting to the point now where if a developer is writing code for IE only, he does so at his own peril.

Now, IE7 has "fixed" their CSS support so that it essentially disables most of the CSS hacks developers were using to get around IE’s poor implementation, but yet they seem to have failed to have fixed the CSS implementation flaws that the hacks were devised to deal with in the first place. The end result is that stuff that ONCE looked ok in IE, now breaks. I saw many examples of this in the hour or two that I spent browsing with IE7 yesterday.

My prediction on this IE7 release (when it comes out of beta) is that it may very well fall flat on its face. Users are going to install it, and start browsing websites, and finding sites that USED to look great suddenly look broken. They won’t care what the reasons are, but they’ll definitely associate it with thier newly installed IE7.

Now, lets look at it from the perspective of a website owner (not a developer, but perhaps a CPA with a website). Suddenly his website is going to look crappy in IE7 … what’s he going to do? Call the developer who is going to say, "The website is coded to standards, displays fine in all current browsers and all versions of IE prior to 7. I’ll fix the problem, but it’s going to cost you!"

End result? Lots of websites will continue to look broken in IE, and continue to display correctly in other browsers. MicroSoft made a HUGE mistake in thier complacency, and I think IE7 … unless they make some major rendering changes before the final release, will turn out to be another nudge that’s going to help them fall of the top of the heap in the browser market.

83. Brent Yager says:

Reinstalling Windows XP SP2 (upgrade vs. new install) does NOT restore IE6. Please provide UNinstall tools/files.

84. Shining Arcanine says:

By the way, Microsoft, if you are not going to listen to a wish list, how are you going to comply with Steve Ballmer’s "Developers! Developers! Developers!" thing? Ignoring wish lists is ignoring developers. It is that simple.

85. David Finch says:

In my case, I had to enable full control on .gif, .png, giffile, pngfile, and jpegfile to get past the msfeeds.dll error. I imagine the final version might change these permissions automatically.

86. Scott says:

Firefox has a great add-in support for an add-blocking tool. Is there a similar feature for IE (without the spyware)?

87. Simone says:

I think that since the final will be available in 2007, I cannot just forget about the present and install this buggy beta…

I’ve paying customers that want a site to work on IE6 now… if I install IE7 I’ve to install a Vmware or VPC…which takes time to install, processor, memory…

I see there are some hack to make both version run side by side… why don’t you officialy support a side-by-side installation?

88. Mike says:

Wow, looks like that Seth guy didn’t get that this was a beta. Right on Seth, Right on.

89. Xepol says:

I have a question. In spite of the fact that you could, in all likelyhood, nominate the person who came up with the "start navigation" click noise in IE as one of the 10 most evil people of all time, and unquestionably nominate him as more annoying then that baby 2 rows back in the airplane who cried for 6 hours straight, the "click" noise continues to be a default part of the IE install.

The first thing I (and every person I know of) does when they install windows is turn off that freaking CLICK. Every time I install IE, that damn click noise is back.

Enough already. If it is off, leave it off. I don’t want it, no one wants it. The guy who invented it? He turned it off too I’ll bet. The IE team? I’ll bet they ALL have it turned off. If MS didn’t turn it off, the "click"-ing noise alone would make redmond the center of a constant 1.0 earthquake on local sensors.

You don’t use it, we all find it annoying, GET RID OF CLICK.

Here, maybe this can put it into perspective for you.

THE CLICK IS MORE ANNOYING THAN CLIPPY!!!

90. frankf says:

Giving IE7 a test drive, I’ve noticed two things about IE7. I’ve noticed that floats still aren’t fixed such as on http://www.positioniseverything.net/floatmodel.html At least the demo shows like the Opera 7.0 screenshot, but it’s still not perfect

Secondly, the zoom tool button at the bottom right of the screen. Is it supposed to change the text size, or the entire window? If it is the former, then why do you have that button as well as the change text setting under the Page menu?

91. mike says:

Please fix the transparency for PNG like you promised! http://entropymine.com/jason/testbed/pngtrans/

92. Rocky says:

I had a problem after install that wouldnt let me play tiger woods golf online. the start page would give a server error. I had to get rid of the beta version of explorer to play the golf game online.

93. Jonathan says:

Will upcoming releases of the beta be released to the public, or is this build 5296 it for us? I know there will be an upcoming consumer focused version, but let me get to the point.

If security issues get founds and major bugs found, will we (the public) get updates to fix those (perhaps) major issues? Or is this pretty much it until IE 7 hits the official — thus supported — release?

94. codemastr says:

"Perhaps it’s a deliberate strategy, and maybe that will work on the general population, but for now, just watch the "No IE7 support on this site" banners appear. "

If you want to do that, that’s fine. You can also deal with people like myself who will then close your website and never return. If losing business fits into your model, then more power to you. I don’t like web developers telling me what browser I must use. *I* am the customer, you need to *earn* my business. And by telling me that my browser choice is no good, you will not be doing so.

95. John says:

Please support the Alt key to open a link in a new tab. MSN tabs supports this and it’s a great feature.

96. AC says:

@Xepol:

"You don’t use it, we all find it annoying, GET RID OF CLICK. "

It’s an audio cue for the sight impaired. It’s annoying yes, but it could be much worse than just a simple click. Obviously you know how to turn it off, so just do so.

97. Segin says:

I think it’s about time now that IE supported said features. Not like I’ll be using IE, cause Mozilla/Netscape/etc. have had these features for years now, and besides, IE can’t run my operating system(s) of choice.

Also, if you are removing shell intregration, does this mean the current shell is broken?

98. EricLaw [MSFT] says:

@Mike: "Please fix the transparency for PNG like you promised"

These all show is correct on my build of IE7. Do you see as different results?

@John: "Please support the Alt key to open a link in a new tab."

CTRL+Click will open your page in a new tab.

99. codemastr says:

"The first thing I (and every person I know of) does when they install windows is turn off that freaking CLICK. […]

Enough already. If it is off, leave it off. I don’t want it, no one wants it."

I want it. Don’t over generalize. I like the click noise. It allows me to know that IE is actually processing my request. I don’t know how many times I thought I pressed enter but accidentily hit shift and wondered, "why isn’t the website loaded yet?" Hearing the sound lets me know I pressed enter.

100. codemastr says:

"@Mike: "Please fix the transparency for PNG like you promised"

These all show is correct on my build of IE7. Do you see as different results? "

EricLaw, I’m going to guess he was referring to the gamma test section of the page, http://entropymine.com/jason/testbed/alphagamma that seems to fail pretty miserably in IE7!

101. Ross says:

I’m a web developer, and have been reading the IEBlog for months.

In regards to IE7, I am scared… very…very…scared.

Break the hacks but don’t fix the browser? <shudder>…

Didn’t plan to allow for stand-alones (at least of rendering, even unsupported?) <double shudder>

Despite this astro-turf-blog attempt, MS attitude, disrespect and lack of intelligent initiative still shine through.

The best thing that MS can do with IE is make it an *optional* download. That way people with IE6 will be able to use sites that have been hacked to work. And people that want to upgrade will have the sense to download Firefox.

EricLaw [MSFT]: "This is caused by invalid CSS hacks that no longer work in IE7."

There is something in the tone of this statement that just feels bad. All of a sudden MS is dismissive of "invalid CSS hacks" and gets all pious on us? Do us all a favour…

If you don’t fix all the bugs, don’t fix any of the hacks…

In closing I’ll paraphrase something I read somewhere else.

WebDev1: "Surely MS can make a decent browser!?!?"

WebDev2: "No, there are two things you have to realise about MS. One, they aren’t a big company, and two they don’t have much money."

102. Ross says:

In CSS do this

/* IE7

.foobar {

position: relative;

}

And don’t say "we need to check with CSS working group on this idea, like MS did in another post". Normally you just do your own thing anyway, so why not do it this time, as a good thing.

*DO IT*…

103. Cannot get this thing to install, ever. Fails 50% through with a completely useless error message. Never had beta 1 installed either.

104. Jamie says:

105. Bertrand says:

Thanks

106. Max C says:

WGA is broken — "unable to validate at this time due to a technical error". When it’s not working, you need to allow paying customers to go ahead anyway.

107. So, let me get this right. For those of us who don’t happen to have a spare PC with windows XP knocking about we’re going to have to continually install and uninstall IE7. That’s not really doing a great deal to get web developers on your side is it. :/

108. After spending a few hours with IE7, here are some of the CSS elements I couldn’t get to work:

Declarations:

outline

display (for table, table-row, etc)

content

quotes

Selectors:

exact attribute (at least on TR, TD)

Pseudo Classes:

:before

:after

:first-line

:focus

:lang

Will these be fixed before release? It would be a shame if Microsoft’s browser failed to meet an 8-year-old standard.

109. Spike says:

Chris Wilson:

Well, thanks for responding, but if you want to answer a tough question: How come Trident is so far behind in terms of CSS support? The biggest thing the community asked for was for you to sort out the CSS this time around. So who isn’t listening? Fixing the hacks isn’t the same as fixing the rendering engine.

110. In addition to my earlier post, I forgot to include:

Declarations:

max-height

max-width

min-height

min-width

If none of these will be fixed before release, that’s going to be very disappointing.

111. Will says:

Am I the only one with the msfeeds.dll problem. 🙁

And the work around does not work at all. 🙁

112. cwilso says:

@Peter Glasston:

We do not [even claim to] support ‘outline’, the various table ‘display’ types, ‘content’ or

‘quotes’, nor the :before/:after pseudoelements or :focus/:lang pseudoclasses (actually, IIRC, :focus does work on form controls).

I would be interested in a repro case for the selector problem you mention, and for the :first-line issue – please send them to ietell@microsoft.com.

@Spike: "Why is Trident so far behind in CSS rendering?"

I could have asked the same question of Netscape five years ago. Mea culpa. My job is to fix it. I do not believe it is appropriate to say that all we’ve fixed is removing the hacks – we’ve been addressing the biggest CSS problem we have in the box model overflow issue, the biggest request with position:fixed and loads of other problems that cause webdevs’ lives to be harder. I’m sorry if you feel we’re not listening – we are working as hard as we can. If there are great developers out there looking for a job who are passionate about making IE better (and more standards-compliant), please have them contact me. CWilso@microsoft.com.

113. I must agree with the need for the following CSS:

max-height

max-width

min-height

min-width

content

They’re very useful properties that I would really like to see added. As for the removal of the hacks / fixing of bugs, I think the situation isn’t as dire as most people here are pointing out.

First, they have fixed many, many of the CSS bugs. There’s a list posted a little while back on this site. It’s not perfect yet, but they’re getting there. I just hope the rendering engine isn’t complete at this point and that they will fix even more well known bugs.

Second, the removal of the hacks isn’t a bad thing. The alternative is the IE conditional comments method. This is actually very easy to use and allows you to make one separate IE only stylesheet that just gets included in your site. Why they didn’t create a conditional comment inside of a CSS sheet is beyond me. That makes the most sense and I’d like to hear their reasoning.

Finally, I’d like to add my thoughts on the new UI. Previously MS has said that they couldn’t just upgrade the rendering engine to fix bugs because that didn’t matter to the end user. Thus they waited to upgrade the engine when they also added new non-rendering features. The developer in me screams at this logic as they let IE 6’s bad behavior influence the market for far too long. Back to the new UI though. It’s really not that bad. Here’s my wishlist:

* The tabs could be two pixels shorter.

* The search box makes a noise when searching with the enter key… bad.

* Back and Forward are fine, but stick the Home and Feeds buttons up there. Right now there’s too much left/right mouse movement for tasks. I’d actually put the stop button there as well.

* What about having the address bar below the tabs? This actually makes more logical sense as each page should have its own address, along with the left / right / go / stop buttons.

* I’m glad they got rid of the standard File menu, or at least made it unnecessary.

114. R Hoch says:

Can’t get external links(from email program, OE or Thunderbird)to open in new tabs. Only opens new browser window. Set Firefox back to default browser, and external links would not work in Firefox. Uninstalled IE7 Beta2 and Firefox works fine and external links open in tabs in Firefox.

115. db says:

i can’t seem to view any rss feeds — not even the one on this site. is there a option that i need to set/unset? web sites i’ve visited seem to render fine. just can’t view feeds. error msg below.

Internet Explorer cannot display this feed

This feed download was interrupted.

This is possibly due to a server error or an interrupted Internet connection.

116. db says:

Internet Explorer cannot display this feed

This feed download was interrupted.

This is possibly due to a server error or an interrupted Internet connection.

117. Marco Nielsen says:

Great beta so far I think. We are using GPOs to control of the IE settings and I noticed the new "Some settings are managed by your system administrator" text on the Security options tab.

But how can we override the disabling of security settings if that is necessary? Is there some information of the updated GPOs that will be available for IE 7.0? Thanks much!

118. Marco Nielsen says:

Will there be better handling of Proxy WPAD scripts and integration of Sun Java?

I assume the Beta 2 Preview issues with "Automatically detect settings" will be fixed, but even today there seems to be confusion on how to get Sun JRE working with authenicated ISA setup..

119. Adrian says:

The style sheets work completly differently with <!DOCTYPE in the HTML no matter even if no type is defined. Without <!DOCTYPE the CSS seem to work more like IE5 than anything else.

120. Lanod says:

By any chance would one of the "Some anti-spyware and anti-virus software" be MS AntiSpyware?

121. Here are a collection of useful links for those people who wants to

evaluate IE 7 Beta 2 Preview. Take…

122. John Roberts says:

When I try to uninstall, I can’t see it in Add/Remove Programs, so tried the run string that Al pointed us to. I get a message that I need to log on as the user that did the install. !?!

Any idea how I can do this, as it’s me?

Thanks for any help,

123. Ajay says:

I am getting an IE scripting error with my visual studio.net help. Could this be related to IE7 beta that I recently installed?

124. Nathan says:

For anybody that has been getting the following error message when trying uninstall IE 7..

Internet Explorer cannot be uninstalled from this user account. Please log on to the same use account from which it was installed and try again.

Here is how to uninstall IE 7 anyways. It is sort of a hack way of doing it but it gets IE 7 off ur system. I got this error, even though I only use on account on my computer Administrator.

Goto C:windows$NtUninstallie7bet2p$

Copy all the .dll and .exe to

c:windowssystem32dllcache

Then goto C:windows$NtUninstallie7bet2p$spuninst

Right click on spuninst.inf and goto Install

Rename spuninst.txt to spuninst.bat

Run spuninst.bat

125. war59312 says:

Nathan you just saved my live. Was close to reinstalling xp.

Thank you so much! 🙂

126. me says:

Hey guys does anyone know how to get smilies working, they appear but are not animated????

127. Aghast says:

You really MUST MUST MUST provide a way of running IE6 and 7 alongside each other.

‘I’m Just Sayin …. hope you’re listenin’ got it right – IE users will get a worse browsing experience if developers find it difficult to test on both versions.  Who benefits?  Mozilla/FF/Opera etc…

Think again, guys.

128. I cant believe that MS havent allowed some sort of backwards compatbility for older versions of IE.

Developing in IE6 and checking box model hacks in IE5 worked, but now the emphasis is going to be on conditional comments and these dont work running standalone versions of the browsers.

Web development is becoming more of a chore with every browser thats released, great that we are looking to the future but unfortunately not everyone upgrades as often as those in the IT business.

I applaud correction and implmentation of standards, but you cant just ignore everythign that went before.

129. dexus says:

The new RSS viewer is overwriting XSL…

Example: http://feeds.feedburner.com/JohnBattellesSearchblog

feedburner.com uses XSL and CSS to make Their feeds look nice,

but then IE7 says: NO, you must use Our layout.

130. Mars Feeney says:

The fact that I cannot run IE6 & IE7 together does nothing but PISS ME OFF. For that reason alone Firefox will remain my preferred browser and the browser I recomend to others. I need to support IE6 and I need to learn about IE7. So I  need another computer just for one app. Hey, maybe you can set it up so we need a separate computer for Word, and Excel, and FoxPro and so on. Load up on Intel stock and make a killing. Wake up and smell the roses.

131. Diablo_1105 says:

HELP!!! i cannot unstall ie7 beta 1 because the user account i installed it in doesn’t exist anymore cos i deleted it!! i need to uninstall it asap so i can start using ie7 beta 2!! PLZ HELP ASAP!!

132. http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/multiIE.html

Pat told me about that link yesterday, about running multiple versions of IE side by side. Looks good, although MS should be providing this support themselves.

Not providing this support just plays into the hands of otehr browser manufacturers.

133. Nail says:

Is there amy way to install IE7b2 if I haven’t any connection to Internet? My developer PC absolutely offline for several "third" reasons…

134. Jeremy B says:

Alright, got a weird bug here:

On some (not all) forums and other text entry box webpages… (yahoo mail being one of them)… I get phantom text entry!!

When entering text, it does not appear at all, nor does the cursor move.  However, when i stop typing adn go back and highlight/select where i think i typed…the text appears!

Going back and backspacing over or retyping text, it goes back to disappearing again… grr

any thoughts on this one??

135. Jeremy Cade says:

"Every time IE7 tries to load a page the ‘Dial up connection’ window pops up for a second. Sometimes it repeadly pops up and disappears until the page is fully loaded. Is this one of IE7’s exciting new features? "

I have the same bug. Every 2 seconds or so my adsl connection window pops up, and then dissapears.. This is quite disturbing.. Please address.

136. Arin says:

When I installed IE 7 beta 2 and restarted the computer, it would crash after getting to the user logon screen. This also happened when booting into safemood.

I have since done a repair install of windows xp sp2.

I’m unable to run, re-install, or uninstall IE 7 PB 2. It does not show up in add remove programs with updates shown and the folder $NtUninstallie7bet2p$ (the uninstall folder) does not exist.

Could someone zip and send me their %windir%$NtUninstallie7bet2p$ Folder? I’m at a total loss here! This is the only way I would be able to uninstall it I believe!

Here is my email address if someone is able to help:

a r i n . e m a i l <AT> G m a i l <DOT> c o m

Sorry about the spaces, I dont want my address getting spammed.

137. Steve says:

Personally, I’d like support for side-by-side. Force everything it needs into one big exe. 🙂 But until then, we use VPC. One problem there is that our Mac developers can get IE 7 to work in VPC on that platform. Is this a know isssue?

As far as CSS is concerned, when implementing a spec that is unclear, please just go with what other browsers with any share of the market have done. We’d rather have IE be to spec, but when the spec doesn’t help, go with what the Jones do, as that will make our lives easier.

I can’t understand why people complain about the price of memory, and then expect changes in IE’s build system because of that. It means you have two customers, and as such I hope MS prioritizes better than that.

You know, one way to have delt with all this stuff could have been to have two engines in IE — IE6 for quirks mode and something like KHTML for strict mode. Not that I’m a big fan of KHTML… Please don’t do a complete rewrite though — it took Netscape over seven (?) years, and the destruction of the company before Firefox 1.5 came out. With its nice canvas and svg support.

138. Charlie says:

Personally, I love IE 7, Would like to see it on real distribution soon.

Awsome!!! ^~^

I only have some problem as below:

1, McAfee, and is know problem, BUT my McAfee keep on compline that it have update and I can’t update cause every time only pop up a blank application adn can’t close, just kind of annoying.

2, I installed IE7BT2P on my desktop work fantastic only donno why when I install on my Laptop it can’t load/open IE at all, it just pop up and goes away again. Even I saw a bit it still have IE Beta 1 i been uninstall totally already, who can assit me?

Thanks in advanced, good hope and wish in IE 7,

Rock it!

139. Yo Mom says:

when i am on is asks me to connect when i am already connected what do i do?

140. Scott says:

Yea, not really a good idea to install IE7 and Live Messenger on the same machine. IE7 did some weird stuff with my default browser settings and causes messenger to crash for no reason when links are clicked.

About a few days ago, everything froze and I had to hard reset my poor laptop. After the machine boots up, it threw in a blue screen with errors in the registry. Trying to fix it with the recovery console didn’t work out too well, so I had to install a new copy of Windows XP over it.

Unfortunately, my laptop is quite old and it came with a Windows XP SP1 CD. Here’s the awesome part, I’ll have to download SP 2 throught Windows Update that only works with IE 7 that doesn’t work on SP 1.

Har har?

*sigh* looks like I’ll actually have to go pay $2 to get a copy of the SP2 CD mailed in.

141. Cade says:

Well, gave up on mine today!

I had the same problem as others, the dial up connection kept flashing up. I tried setting it up to never dial a connection but the first time I tried it said it couldn’t connect to the internet, if you hit retry it then connected. Also some programs wouldn’t access the internet, Outlook was fine but Mailwasher wouldn’t. Also Windows Update wouldn’t recognise the internet connection. Maybe something to do with the ADSL connection. I tried uninstalling the modem and reinstalling it but it didn’t solve the problem. Went back to IE6 and everything was fine

142. Kryo says:

Same here, and now I can’t uninstall IE7… It keeps bitching about ‘Error opening SPUNINST.LOG file’ any ideas? I’m this close to moving to Linux!!!

143. Steve says:

Whats happened with label controls in ie 7????

I have a html table with label controls inside the cells, now they only display part of the text property yet the bgcolor is showing the label as full size??

Yet this all works in ie6???

144. breadcrumb says:

Microsoft has finally removed Internet Explorer for Macintosh from its website. While at the same time Internet Explorer 7 Beta 2 is available for download. Update I&amp;#8217;ve downloaded IE7 and I&amp;#8217;m looking forward to uninstall it next time

145. (I get a lot of e-mails asking this question.)

Click Start -&amp;gt; Control Panel -&amp;gt; Add or Remove Programs…

146. I’ve found this quite puzzling. Some time back when I had IE7 Beta Preview in my machine, I was forced…