Exploring Internet Explorer

The information published in this post is now out-of-date and one or more links are invalid.

—IEBlog Editor, 21 August 2012

Today we launched a new column on MSDN called “Exploring Internet Explorer”. Currently there is a single article there from Eric Lawrence on Zones and Proxies where he explores some of the interesting ways that the intranet zone and proxies can interact. We expect to add more articles to this column over the coming weeks. If there is a particular mystery of Internet Explorer that you’d like us to explore then let us know and we’ll add it to our list of future articles for this column. We’ll be asking team members to contribute content and hopefully address some of those nagging questions you’ve all had about how IE works.

1. Anonymous says:

It’s a very exciting attempt.

2. Anonymous says:

One mystery comes to mind at once. How exactly does "layout" work? There’s already some people trying to find it out <http://www.satzansatz.de/cssd/onhavinglayout.html&gt; through various experiments.

3. Anonymous says:

I heared that it is not possible to install the Beta 1 to install on a not english windows version is that true?

4. Anonymous says:

I’d like us to revisit how tabs are handled by the overall framework/umbrella. And how that is changing as development continues. Why does each tab use so much memory? And what’s up with tab differences between Vista IE7 and XP IE7 – different versions of the beta or just different?

5. Anonymous says:

via IEBlog, it’s the first Exploring IE column: The Local Intranet Zone and Proxies: The Surprising Connection,…

6. Anonymous says:

One of the biggest mysteries to me is how to view and report bugs. You can’t expect us to just report bugs using this blog, can you?

7. Anonymous says:

IEBlog brings news of a new column on MSDN called Exploring Internet Explorer. From the site:

Are you confounded by particular Internet Explorer features? Are you interested in exploring features…

8. Anonymous says:

9. Anonymous says:

<<I second the request for an article describing the ins and outs of elements having "layout".>>

Great suggestion, please stay tuned!

10. Anonymous says:

What would really be nice is to have a context selection that when a person puts a URL into a document but does not hyper link it, would allow you to highlight it, right click and have a selection of "Goto URL..". I hate having to cut and paste everytime someone forgets to hyperlink it.

11. Anonymous says:

Create two files:

——- START OF goto_url.reg ——-

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMenuExt&Goto URL…]

——– END OF goto_url.reg ——–

—— START OF goto_url.html ——-

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"&gt;

<!– saved from url=(0017)http://localhost/ –>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8">

<title>Goto URL…</title>

<script type="text/javascript" language="javascript">

var w = external.menuArguments;

var url = w.document.selection.createRange().text;

w.location.href = url;

——– END OF goto_url.html ——-

Save goto_url.html to C:WINDOWSWeb, and merge goto_url.reg into your registry. Restart IE. Go to some web page, select some text, right click, and look at the context menu.

12. Anonymous says:

I would really like to know why IE 6 occasionally turn on the "Disable script debugging" option in the Advanced tab of the Internet Options dialog.

I never check this option, but still, from time to time, when a JavaScript exception occurs, IE only displays a notification about it, but doesn’t offer to debug it. When I open the Internet Option dialog, I see that the option is checked, and I need to clear it and restart IE.

Also, can you provide an RSS feed for updates in this new Exploring Internet Explorer column?

13. Anonymous says:

Lionel: Thanks for posting this trick. I had it on my TODO list but didn’t get around to it.

14. Anonymous says:

Please make Internet Options user friendly, I’m always overwhelmed when I go to the options by the randomness of the layout and the names on the buttons (such as "Delete Files", why not "Delete Cache" or "Clear Cache"?).

The Help section is also a nightmare, it’s just so messy.

This isn’t something that needs to be explained – just fixed.

15. Anonymous says:

> If there is a particular mystery of Internet Explorer that you’d like us to explore then let us know and we’ll add it to our list of future articles for this column

As with other posters here, I would have thought that hasLayout is indeed an obvious "mystery" to have explained properly at long last.

What few blog posts on this exist on the web are mostly necessarily conjecture:

Many seem to attribute most of IE’s CSS problems to hasLayout, but I rather suspect that the engine just needs so much refactoring in many places, with this being a biggie to deal with.

16. Anonymous says:

I spent an hour looking for a place to post issues with IE 7 and this is the only place I could find… I hope someone at Microsoft sees it…

IE 7 reports an issue with ASWWAX.OCX (version 6.5 Authorware) and then IE 7 is forced to shut down… The ASWWAX.OCX shows a version of The IE 7 version is 7.0.5112.0 beta. Behind the message saying IE 7 will be shut down is a message box saying:

Title bar: Sysfader:IEXPLORE.EXE – Application error.

The instruction at ‘0x05f2b0b3’ referenced memory at "0x00000010", The memory could not be read.

Click on OK to terminate the program

Click on CANCEL to debug the program

Please note that clicking CANCEL does not produce any usable information.

This ActiveX control works fine with all previous versions of IE. Any ideas? A representative of Macromedia’s Authorware forum said I should contact MS about this issue.

Patrick Harvey

17. Anonymous says:

For the first time, I see that Internet Explorer (IE7 Beta 1) looses its integration with Windows Explorer.

I mean, typing C: in the address bar opens a new instance of Windows Explorer instead of showing the contents in the same IE window.

Same behavior is observed when I type an internet URL in Windows Explorer address bar.

IE still contains a ‘Folders’ explorer bar, but it is not as useful as it used to be till IE6 as clicking on a folder opens a new explorer window instead of browsing in the same IE window.

Also, opening an ftp site opens up a new Explorer window, which is a little pesky.

I wish it could be fixed in future releases.

18. Anonymous says:

I’d like to know what IE is doing between the time I hit Ctrl-F and the time the find dialog box finally pops up.

It takes seconds (seconds!) before I see the dialog. Win2K, SP4, IE 6.0.2800.1106.

19. Anonymous says:

"nagging questions about how IE works."

IE works?!

20. Anonymous says:

hey does anyone know how to make those pop ups on ie that u have to click ok on.

if u do could u plz email me