IE and RSS team at the PDC

The information published in this post is now out-of-date and one or more links are invalid.

—IEBlog Editor, 21 August 2012

The IE and RSS team is going to be attending the Microsoft Professional Developers Conference (PDC) this year between September 13th and 16th in Los Angeles. This is Microsoft’s premier conference for developers where you can learn from and connect with the development teams here. Visit the PDC site to learn more. We’re currently planning two talks for IE and RSS:

• Internet Explorer: What’s New in IE7
    Internet Explorer is an essential part of the Windows platform, providing functionality that both Web developers and Windows developers rely on for their solutions. Attend this session to hear about advances in the next version of Internet Explorer 7 for both Windows XP and Windows Vista. This includes changes around security, user experience, and developer features, detailing new capabilities coming in the beta 2 releases.
    Speaker: Chris Wilson – Lead Program Manager of Internet Explorer Platform and Security
    Session Level: 200
    Track: Presentation
  • Windows Vista (“Longhorn”): Building RSS Enabled Applications
    Windows Vista (formerly codename “Longhorn”) adds support for RSS (Really Simple Syndication). The RSS functionality in Windows Vista is being designed to make it simple for end users to discover, view and subscribe to RSS feeds, as well as make it easier for developers to incorporate the rich capabilities of RSS into their applications. In addition, the RSS functionality includes Simple List Extensions, a set of extensions to RSS that can be used to enable Web sites to publish lists such as of photo albums, music playlists and top 10 lists as RSS feeds. Come see multiple examples of subscription-enabled applications built on the RSS APIs. Security safeguards are also explained.
    Speaker: Amar Gandhi – Group Program Manager of RSS and Internet Explorer User Experience
    Session Level: 300
    Track: Data & Systems

We’re also looking at having a lunchtime session where we’ll share some of what we have learnt on security the hard way over the last few years.

We plan to have members of the team present throughout the conference and helping in the track lounges during the week. This is a great opportunity to meet members of the team and discuss progress on the browser as well as the new RSS platform support. If you haven’t signed up for the PDC yet you will want to do so quickly as it is rapidly filling up.

If you are attending the PDC please make a point of dropping by the sessions and track lounges and say hi to the team. We’re also interested in knowing what you’d like to hear about in the sessions as we pull the content together over the next month.

P.S. Although I’d really like to be at the PDC this year I am not planning to be there pending the birth of my first child and infant care leave. I’m sure you will all be in very capable hands  though and am looking forward to hearing about it.

1. Anonymous says:

Lots of people are going to the PDC this year including some members of the IE team, however I’m afraid…

2. Anonymous says:

Will either, the IE, RSS, or Vista teams be talking about podcasts in relation to the "Simple List Extensions" or support for bittorrent ala

3. Anonymous says:

I am looking forward to the IE7 session.. Congratulations on the latest member of your family! 🙂

4. Anonymous says:

Congrats to Dave!

Does anyone know what paper Tony Chor is presenting at the HITB conf in Malaysia? He’s listed as a keynote and rumor is that the paper is on IE7 (?) Can anyone from the IE team confirm this????

5. Anonymous says:

Well,with Google now featuring "Browse by name" in the address bar,when you download their toolbar,could we perhaps see a similar feature in IE7 by default?Also,is there someway to incorporate a translator into Vista to tie in with IE7?Since more and more sites like Google and Yahoo have online translators,but not all languages are covered yet,this would be a big help.Speaking of languages,how about enabling all language packs to be installed by default,with a removal option,so if you need to correctly view ,say, a Chinese web site,you don’t have to fool with pack downloads,etc?

6. Anonymous says:

You’re already butchering OpenGL with LongWait.

Please leave open standards, like RSS, alone because your crappy anti-competitive attitude means that nobody trusts you.

And no, blogging about IE7 CSS2 support won’t help. Look at what you did with your maps, hyped them to the stratosphere and delivered a crappy product, late. Why didn’t you ship the improvements instead of saying Real Soon Now?

7. Anonymous says:

Re: Nurlich

Yeah, while I’m not busy writing code on IE 7, I also code the OpenGL driver and do major work on Virtual Earth. I wish… *This blog is for IE comments. We have no say over what other teams do. Should at least stay on topic with your diss attempts. VE runs a blog, you can hate on them there.

8. Anonymous says:

Will we get some kind of recap of Chris’ presentation on this blog?

And could we get some more informations about the upcoming beta2 (especially the improvements over b1) and if there are any changes planned for the Javascript (prototype coding for native classes, …) and DOM (full DOM2+ and DOM Events) supports in IE 7?

And last (but not least), would CS allow you to append "#commentform" to the "Post a Comment" link?

9. Anonymous says:

re: Nurlich

Who do you think made AJAX and therefor googlemaps possible?

And as for CSS; IE’s implementation of the box model has long been criticised for being "non-standards", only now are developers openly admitting that they prefer IE’s implementation of the box model. IE7 is a great move in the right direction and most developers (of which which I suspect you are not) are happy with the advances, even the most hardcore anti IE developers seem to admit that this is looking good. In short: your "left wing attitude for dumbies" inspired rant is both uninformed and childish.

10. Anonymous says:

IE 7 Beta 1 doesnt work properly with links to web folders.

When I click on a link that has the folder="https://a.webdav.address/" attribute, I get an action cancelled window and then another window the pops up with the webdav folder.

Any chance of checking this out sometime?

11. Anonymous says:

With XP SP2, you introduced some great improvements to MIME handling in the browser.

One of these is MIME type detection which determines the MIME type of downloaded content.

It would be fantastic if Administrators had more control over this in Group Policy.

At the moment, for example, we cannot define unacceptable mime types in each of the zones to stop them being downloaded.

(For example, disallowing detected executables in the Internet Zone is not possible.)

Any chance of doing something about this?

12. Anonymous says:

Go here:

Hold cursor over image so that the picture resize button appears.

Click on the resize button.

Roll the mouse wheel to scroll down watching the picture resize button.

13. Anonymous says:

When a file is downloaded it is copied from the cache and not moved on download.

This is especially noticable with large files where the cache is on the same drive as the destination drive.

P.S. I did not get into the beta so cannot submit bigs through that channel.

14. Anonymous says:

Re: Nick Lowe

I think you want to make a feature request to be able to bypass the caching behavior when saving a [large] file to disk.

15. Anonymous says:

[QUOTE]I consider that behavior to be by design. It isn’t quite a bug. There are good reasons for the file to be cached.[/QUOTE]

Obviously browser rendered content needs to be cached – but files being explicitly downloaded?

Surely it only needs to be in the cache while being downloaded? From there it can be resumed should the stream fail for some reason. Once finished – just move the file out? Am I missing something here???

And seperately: Work also needs to be done to thread the FTP client so that it does not appear hung when waiting for the server to respond or something is timing out.

16. Anonymous says:

Re: Nick Lowe

The caching is more of a respect to web standards/web servers than anything. It is like the two connection limitation, the user might get degraded performance but it was decided on long ago to play nice for server load issues.

Yeah the ftp stuff is a bit rotten. It has some blocking calls that are uninteruptable. Never looked at the code, but from other net code I’ve written, I’m betting it just does a TCP connect() on the same thread as the UI.

17. Anonymous says:

I’m not sure where to post this exactly, but I think I’ve found a previously undocumented IE6 CSS bug. I’ve written about it here…

Demonstration here…

18. Anonymous says:

Nathan Smith > While i have no idea of the documentation state of this bug, I find quite hard to believe that it’s never been documented. I’ve known it for some time and have already seen blog posts about the (lack of) IE’s handling of multiple selectors for a single element

19. Anonymous says:

Dear IE developers,

I already tried the beta-version of IE 7 and wondered why I couldn’t find support for International Domain Names.

I guess it’s finally time to be international. Think of all the French, Chinese and German people waiting for the support for almost 3 years now.

The European Tech-News all announced Microsoft was integrating this significant feature in IE 7.

Sincerely, Jean Pascal

20. Anonymous says:

Feel free to tell me where I should send/post this but I just gotta say this somewhere before this beta goes public. Here are my MAJOR gripes:

1) Can’t move/reposition the address bar ?

2) Cant close the search ?

3) Every other program in the world has File/Edit toolbar on top … why would they change it now?

4) No Stop or Refresh ? At all ? Can’t even choose to add it ? I just don’t think I can browse without either.

5) Would like to be able to open several tabs on open ( if it can do this I haven’t found it yet )

This is a beta and I’m usually pretty forgiving but some of these are so glaring I’m a wee bit concerned.

Sorry if this was the wrong place but this beta is scary.

– Ray

21. Anonymous says:

LOL how true! And a couple of millions of poor Windoze users learned as well!

22. Xepol says:

You’ve definitely made the right choice. There is always another PDC, but the birth of your child is an experience you’ll never remember clearly.

Or at all if you are foolish enough to try to video tape it (head injuries are treated in a different wing of the hospital after all!)

Looking forward to beta 2 with real UI improvements (Someone fix the freaking links toolbar buttons being all the same size, or better yet, enhance it as suggested by me in previous posts to let it launch whole sets of tabs at once).

23. Anonymous says:

I like IE7 but this thing has just been crashing 3 times in a row around the RSS feed section…

24. Anonymous says:

As others have already mentioned, one big advantage of Internet Explorer over other browsers was the customizability of the toolbar controls. Please make it possible that the user can change the position/order of the menu, address and tab-bar at will.

It should also be possible to hide the address bar like any other toolbar. There are usage scenarios that rely on this:

* saving real estate (i.e. in pop up windows)

* restricting usage (user is not allowed to enter URLs)

* when no keyboard is available (user has only a mouse or touch screen)

* using a 3rd-party toolbar for navigating (like the Google or Quero Toolbar)

25. Anonymous says:

Pete : "I think the "anti-competitive attitude" is all in your head. No one around the office rants about how to we need to subvert standards and make life harder for you. There are features that we have time to implement and those we don’t."

Your choices about features to implement or not are quite difficult to understand (web standard for example)…

Is there an extention system in IE7 as the firefox one ? For the web developper, there’s a lot of very usefull extentions (HTML validation, css edition, advanced javascript console).

26. Anonymous says:

I thought I would post a comment to ask question – is CDF support now offically dropped as it no longer works in IE7 Beta 1. I know RSS is being pushed hard at the moment. However, I know many people still use the CDF format to provide enhanced favourites. Would CDF support not be worth keeping for backward compatibility reasons?