IE Team at Black Hat 2005

Hi, I’m Patrick Mann, a security tester on the IE team. It’s a big week for me and a few other folks from IE, as we head down to Las Vegas to
attend Black Hat 2005. Expect to see some of the IE blog familiars (such as John Bedworth, Eric Lawrence, and Christopher Vaughan) along with other members of the IE product team.

Personally, I’m very
excited at this opportunity to hear about the latest in security research. But
above all I’m looking forward to meeting folks, and putting some faces to the
names that have become all too familiar to me. When I’m not attending sessions
you’ll likely find me hanging out with the IE crew at the IE pool-side cabana at
Caesar’s Palace. Stop by and say hello.

– Patrick

1. Anonymous says:

This blog is pathetic…

2. Anonymous says:

@Fiery Kitsune:

So don’t read it.

Better yet, DON’T COMMENT!

3. Anonymous says:

> When I’m not attending sessions you’ll likely find me hanging

> out with the IE crew at the IE pool-side cabana at Caesar’s

> Palace

Nice to see Microsoft is taking security seriously…

4. Anonymous says:

Must be finished! Excellent.

I look forward to an imminent release: I’m guessing before the Vista beta on 3/8 (which is using what? IE7 or something else?)

5. Anonymous says:

I like this blog. Sincerely, I really do. And as I have said before, the IE teams puts up with crap on this blog they should not have to deal with in my not so humble opinion.

However, this post kinda gets away with me.

Patrick, my man, you are NOT going to blackhat to "hear about the latest in security research." That was a politically correct phrase and you know it.

You and the other IE Team members are going to blackhat to find out the methods the bad guys use to make a wreck of IE and the rest of the Internet so you can take that knowledge and make IE a better a browser.

"Know thy enemy as thou may know thyself and thou shalt always be victorious."

There is nothing wrong with saying that Sun Tzu is the reason you are going.

Regards,

James Summerlin

6. Anonymous says:

@Kitsune: You fail at life. Try out the alternative.

@Joel: Patrick has a social life. You should try it.

@James: What part of "hear about the latest security research" excludes finding out what the bad guys do? His wording is every bit as valid as yours even if he doesn’t quote an old dead guy.

7. Anonymous says:

When can I expect the IE7 Beta?

8. Anonymous says:

With no intention of being annoying I must echo Dave’s query.

When is the release date for the IE7 beta? The date of "this summer" was proclaimed with great bravado. Surely you have a hard and fast date by now? Please share that with the rest of the world.

We (the IE user/developer community) rapidly watch the summer coming to a close and are not unaware of the vacation schedules that plague August’s calendar.

If not now, when?

Thanks

9. What’s the rush? Don’t succumb. Hold out until it’s ready.

If you release it before it’s ready, there will be tremendous disappointment.

If you hold it a couple of months to make it better, there will be only mild frustration.

10. Anonymous says:

While I quite echo Maurits’ opinion and the sage wisdom it holds I’m delighted by the rumblings on neowin that look like the IE7 beta will be here *very* soon now.

Thank you!

11. Mystereman says:

I really don’t understand why people are so frustrated about the beta.

It’s not like, even if IE7 was everying we could possibly want with perfect standards compliance, we could drop IE6 support anytime soon. We’re still stuck supporting IE5 and 6 for 3 or 4 more years at least. I know that’s depresssing, but come on.. a few weeks or even months isn’t going to make any difference.

12. Anonymous says:

As soon as IE7 final is released I’m not going to touch IE6 again. I don’t care if most people keep using IE6, that’s their problem and I don’t want to keep my current problem.

Everyone using IE6 will start to find that a lot of websites stop functioning correctly, and if they can’t get IE7 then they will hopefully download another alternative that does work.

<!–[if IE6]>

<style type="text/css" media="screen">

#getFirefox { display:visible; }

</style>

<![endif]–>

13. Anonymous says:

ie 7 beta is being released on the 3 of august according to microsoft. but bla, i think i will still just use it to update windows, and you can bet that within a week opera and firefox will update to something better

honestly this IE team is hopeless, i can’t see them being able to keep up with opera or firefox. this long to get out a new beta, that was already in the works with the alpha of longhorn, gee, i’d fire them for taking so long, wait, I already have, I changed to opera.

14. Anonymous says:

Well, looks like it’ll be out tomorrow according to WinBeta.

I hope you all are happy that give these good folks a hard time. They are hard working people that try to bring a little more fun to their job by doing this and you bring them down. It’s a huge shame.

15. Anonymous says:

/me is jealous

to the commenters: what would you guys rather see, an IE7 released tomorrow that’s really just a theme of IE6, or a real browser in it’s own right. I for one would much rather have something worth opening, and I really hope it’ll be worth the extra debugging. These guys have a colossal amount of work to do get IE to be a better browser, similar to like what NN4 was like. Don’t knock them.

16. Anonymous says:

Patrick,

Have a blast in Vegas! I’m pretty sure you have all been working like dogs to get IE7 up to the beta stage, and I’m personally looking forward to putting it through it’s paces.

I have been visiting the IE blog for a few months now, mainly because I wish to see the back of IE6’s bugs/"features" and while I am not surprised that some comments are anti-Microsoft, I do feel that some are just plain nasty. It is unfortunate.

I appreciate the work gone into IE7 so far and I wish you all good luck. I’m looking forward to my life as a web developer getting a little easier.

I have a question: IE6 has allowed a lot of security exploitations to get through ‘the net’, once IE7 is introduced will it be included in Windows Update to get it to as many people as possible as quick as possible?

From my point of view that would be great, to discontinue wasting time on css hacks and the like.

17. Anonymous says:

Ok, so IE7 Beta 1 has been released…but only to MSDN Subscribers. What’s up with this? It was widely expected that this would be a public beta.

18. Anonymous says:

I’m with Tyler. The blogs great, but would be even better if you could give us a "private" link to the beta download without having to shell out MSDN $$$.

After all, we’re some of your best fans (except the Firefox boys, but they’ve probably already got the beta so they can rip off more features ala the information bar)

19. Anonymous says:

love the water bottles!

20. Anonymous says:

I’m on IE7 on XP right now. This is some great work.

I have one thing I need to get across right now. At some point in time (hopefully sooner than later) all you people who bash Microsoft are going to look pretty lame. I already can’t stand it. You prefer Firefox? Good! That doesn’t make it better than Internet Explorer, it just means you prefer it. It may be fashionable to hate Microsoft now, but save yourself some face and jump back off the bandwagon now.

21. Anonymous says:

@Nate : If you just consider *standards support*, Firefox and every signle alternative out there is better than IE. If Those alternatives also benefit from *fast response to discovered security bugs*.

Just look at this : members of my family were repetitively infected with spyware over the last year while they used IE. I made them switch to Firefox and Thunderbird and since then thy don’t cath spyware… wonder why…

Regarding the standards : see, IE sill does not implement CSS2 selectors. On the other side, Firefox and Safari support multiple CSS3 features…