The Face of the IE Team

The information published in this post is now out-of-date.

—IEBlog Editor, 21 August 2012

The IE team took some time recently to relax in the sun (well actually rain – we do live in Seattle).

Here is a picture of the unflappable Dave Massy and Jean Hartmann in Dave’s incredible motoring machine enjoying themselves at the event. Note that the color of Dave’s car is a variation of IE blue.

Jean and Dave in Dave's cool car

- Scott Stearns

1. Anonymous says:

É por isso que o desenvolvimento dessa merda não vai pra frente…

Olha só que beleza de progrmadores!

2. Anonymous says:

Hah! Even your car is non-standard and outdated! :D

3. Anonymous says:

Hm.. I’m more of a fan of a redish color.

4. Anonymous says:

No wonder progress on IE is so slow. There are only 2 people working on it!

5. Anonymous says:

Is that an MGA?

6. Anonymous says:

Sweet car! But can it render CSS 2.0 properly?

I bet it’s pretty fast. I can picture you both, goggles down, blowing past stop signs as if they were web standards!

7. Anonymous says:

When can we expect the IE7 beta? If Vista Beta is going to be available 8/3 can we expect IE7 before then or at that time?

8. DMassy says:

Diggory,

Good guess on the MGA but No.

I’ll keep you all guessing for a while longer.

Taylor,

I’ve never heard of a car rendering CSS2.0 properly. Mind you I’ve never heard of a browser rendering it properly either. Hence the evolution of CSS 2.1.

But why don’t we for once try and keep comments on topic here :)

Thanks

-Dave

9. UnexpectedBill says:

Now that’s a cool lookin’ car! Hope you’ll tell us what it is soon, because I sure don’t know!

Is that a daily driver for you?

And by any chance is that the original color? (Doubt it, but I had to ask. :-) )

Oh and one more thing–if the question can be answered–how does one enable the debugging options in Trident?

(I’m quite willing to accept the possibility that I might blow my system up while playing with these, but I’d like to know how it’s done if it can be done…)

10. DMassy says:

Hi UnexpectedBill,

No it is not my daily driver. If I could afford it I’d have a barn full of old cars and drive a different one every day though :)

That is not the original color of the car but it is a correct color for the year, make and model. And I did not pick the color because it is close to the blue e :)

What debugging options in Trident?

Thanks

-Dave

11. Anonymous says:

I’m fairly sure that’s an Austin Healey 3000 – mk2?

12. Anonymous says:

Can you drive that thing on standard streets, or do you have to strategically position potholes to keep it from running into a ditch?

jk, nice car!

13. DMassy says:

adam,

Sorry. Not correct.

Mike,

Yes it is street legal. Handles rather well actually :)

Thanks

14. Anonymous says:

Jaguar XK-150 around a 58?

15. Anonymous says:

The team liked the way I turned up to a recent get together so much that they put a photo on the team…

16. DMassy says:

Andrew,

Correct! Did you know or did you do a web search?

Thanks

17. Anonymous says:

I was pretty sure. My dad was a brit car mechanic for about 20 years, and as such, I’ve been into brit cars for quite a number myself. I asked him just to be sure and he agreed. :p

18. X.Static says:

Crikey, someone beat me to the Jaguar punch…my stepdad has this car, almost the same color as well (more of a baby blue). It’s a SWEET car man, wish I had one.

19. Anonymous says:

I think I saw this car yesterday around building 8. Is it that Jaguar?

20. Anonymous says:

Very cool – and I especially like the goggles and hat – very Snoopy as Red Baron. :)

Also, I really like seeing what some of the IE folks look like. Post more photos!

21. UnexpectedBill says:

Dave (MSFT), these are the debugging options of which I speak:

If there is a way for an IE end user to turn these on, I’d like to know it. I can do some similar things in Firefox (or so I think – not proven because I can’t compare the two) and would like to see what IE does with these. Specifically, I want to see what the "Performance Meters" option does, but I’d play with all of them if I could.

(If you haven’t guessed, I’m the kind who loves to open up all of his electronics just to see what’s inside of them and to wonder about hte unpopulated bits inside most of them…I am naturally very curious…though I can’t usually do that with software because of how it is licensed…so hardware is my specialty: http://www.walshcomptech.com/ps2/images/25sx-planar.gif)

22. DMassy says:

Hi UnexpectedBill,

I’m not sure where that image comes from but there aren’t those sort of options in the released version of IE. Sorry to dissapoint you but there aren’t really hidden APIs. Lots of stuff up on MSDN though :)

Thanks

23. UnexpectedBill says:

Thanks, Dave, for answering my question about that. I guess I figured these were options for non-release versions of IE. Perhaps you could make some of them generally available with IE7?

Anyway, I’m not so sure I could mention where the screenshot came from. Let’s just say that I know it came from within shdoclc.dll and leave it there. :-)

Thanks for telling us what the make of the car is.

24. Anonymous says:

Manfred von Richthofen!!!!!!!!

The Red Baron has returned!

25. Anonymous says:

Nice car, Dave!

Vincenzo Di Russo

Microsoft® MVP – Most Valuable Professional

Windows – Internet Explorer/OE 2003/2004/2005

26. Anonymous says:

That picture is cool! Now we have a face we can associate with the name we hear so often :)

Where are all the other people from the IE team?

27. Anonymous says:

Wow poop, corrupted JPGs do bring IE down :( Intresting indeed. I want my IE7 beta!! Until them I am using AOL explorer which is built using IEs engine…it has tabs :D

28. Anonymous says:

time to relax ??

now I understand why IE

is just a bag full of bugs

29. Anonymous says:

@Poop, here’s another way (linked).

30. Anonymous says:

IE may currently not be the best browser, but its Microsoft – I have nothing but the best thoughts and hopes for the new IE7, and can’t wait for its initial release.

As for people using alternative browsers, i dont think thats a problem, most people will use IE7 when its out…

…Except FireFox users, all they seem to do is flame and hijack topics to make out FF is the best, and its really not. FF is a good browser, but the type of user it attracted is most displeasing – the guy who wants something "Flash and cool"…not professional at all.

Long Live IE.