IE7 Comments Recap

Wow, there are a lot of comments. I wanted to recap the main themes I read in the comments and use them as a roadmap for the topics that we will post about over the next few weeks.

1. What have you guys been doing since IE6?
  2. What makes IE7 on Win2K so hard anyway?
  3. Standards, standards, standards… say something!
  4. What’s in IE7, or at least when can we find out?
  5. Don’t you understand that your product is fundamentally not secure because of (blank) and you should rip (blank) out?

(I want to call out a comment from “Jean-Luc” that said “Microsoft. Bunch of cowboys I tell you!” I need a little more detail from you to respond thoughtfully.)

I also read some comments about the comments deleted from the blog. Please look at our policy statement…  we welcome different opinions and strong opinions but not swearing or threats. It’s consistent with Channel 9’s policy. I think it’s reasonable. If you don’t think so, well, there are other places for you to post your opinion.

Dean

1. Anonymous says:

> Standards, standards, standards… say something!

I really would be interested to see what standards-related changes are in IE7, even if you just mentioned that you WOULD be making changes. BillG mainly focused on security issues in his comments, which led me to believe the changes would be similar to SP2 changes.

I can’t imagine the world would see some security changes justifying a whole version jump from IE6 to IE7. If you just want to add some anti-phishing features and patch a few procedural holes, then give us the bad news now and release it as IE6.1 or IE6 SP3 or whatever. But I would really like to see better CSS support, better user control over features like fonts, tabbed browsing, alternate stylesheet support, etc. Or should we look to IE8 for that?

2. Anonymous says:

I noticed you didn’t mention tabbed browsing….this is the only reason personally I don’t use IE as much as I used to. I hate taskbar clutter and when you are doing a lot of research, a lot of clutter usually follows. There are lessons to be learned from a company like Maxthon. Also, I would like to see an option that you can check (if it is already there, I apologize) so my history or Temp Internet Files never stay on the PC.

3. Anonymous says:

Good point. We will also talk about the features as soon as possible.

4. Anonymous says:

We don’t want you to rip (blank) out, we want it optional and probably disabled by default.

5. Anonymous says:

generaly I’d like to get some feel for:

1) IE 7 — a service pack or a "New Browser"

which will we see?

2) timeframe: should we expect to see several beta’s and several months to deal with any breaking chnages or ???

3) Yes what features are beeing evaluated??

4) aside from security fixes and new bells what else ?

5) is it expected that the new 7 will break any current apps?

example: I habve an app that screen-scrapes using a third party com package…. it automates IE in a hidden window. will the vendor need to update etc…

I know that no one has for sure answers to this right now…. just my top questions as of now.

6. Anonymous says:

PS: one more thing that BUGS THE HECK OUT OF ME!!!

pages right here on weblogs.asp.net that read just fine print *WRONG* the text on the right side in many layouts gets truncated… making printing the page from IE wrothless.

I often have to copy the text to word and print it from there.

PLEASE fix that!!!!

if you need more info email me off line at this email

denny at figuerres dot com

7. Anonymous says:

3. Standards, standards, standards…

Do you plan to support HTML 4.0 ?

IE6 not supporting the ABBR tag made me wonder about it really being a "web browser".

More seriously, I’d understand if IE7 didn’t support CSS3 since it’s still considered "Under Construction", though it would be an interesting advance, but I think it has to support the CSS2 specs, considering that it provides _really useful_ stuff and that most other browsers support it.

8. Anonymous says:

All I want is a new theme and ui change. Or at least make it themable.

9. Anonymous says:

10. Anonymous says:

I’m the GUI developer / usability / standards guy for several teams which produce IE-based Web apps. Yes, I would love better support of CSS in the v7.0 but there is no reasonable expectation of that happening.

However, I do expect that Microsoft management will understand its duty to correct bugs, screen rewrite anomalies, and stability problems.

IE’s bugs are the greatest hindrance to creating a truly fluid layout. These bugs include reserving unneeded width for scrollbars, unstable implementation of % units, and inappropriate font display after dynamic resizing. The most important new bugs introduced by IE6 are usually related to its poor implementation of the DOCTYPE switch, which determines the rendering mode. The IE6 "quirks" mode is often preferable to the hydra-headed display weirdness of standards mode.

Thanks for listening.

11. Anonymous says:

I guess a question along the lines in what have you guys been doing since IE 6 is there are so many problems in IE functionality that it is ridiculous anymore. Yeah security holes are one thing. But just plain functionality and problems and bugs that are there that have never been fixed or even addressed. The only updates we have seen are security updates. In all the time from IE 6 to IE 7 it should be the ultimate browser. So yeah security is important but what about fixing the problems with it.

If your looking for specifics.

Windowed Select box

Make sure you read all the comments there in that post Raymond Chen took a lot of post and complaints on the Select Box in IE. I have comments and code samples in there to show you exactly what I mean. Why has it taken years for the IE team to fix this and has been a problem since IE 4.

Oh and that’s not all, things like why sometimes if browsing a graphics intensive site, something like http://www.renderosity.com which is dedicated to graphic artist. And yes you really have to browse it a lot, but eventually IE looses all ability to render JPGs you right click on a jog and all of a sudden all JPG files are now untitled.bmp and yes that is the name of them. Has been a known bug since IE 5 maybe before but I noticed it in 5.

Why when IE installs it sets your temporary internet files so high (Actually proportional to your hard drive space) that when you get enough junk in your cache IE really just hoses up completely. When I say hoses up, takes forever to render a page, which is why I think a lot of people complain about speed this is god awful slow, and then when you right click and try to do something like say view source, nothing happens, nothing will ever happen. Right clicking and choosing something in the context menu will never respond to any commands. Been a bug there since

Those are just a couple of the literally hundreds of little bugs all with KB Articles that have frustrated people for years, why in all that time since IE 6 and the service packs the patches and so on has none of this been fixed. Why hasn’t good support been given to CSS, Xhtml and all these other web standard technologies out there.

Why did you take out the developer tools that were there in IE 4, I am so glad Firefox brought them back. Please put them back in. You have thousands of developers out there making websites, it helps for us to have something to debug html, Javascript and the DOM.

To Heck with simple Tabs I like IE have always liked IE, but when you compare it to something like Firefox and not having the hundred of little bugs in it, or at least they haven’t been really found yet and grown overly annoying. Really to heck with new features I would be happy fixing the problems that have been there for years. So what have you been doing why hasn’t this stuff been fixed. You have more known bugs with IE than you have security problems. Please give me my IE bug free.

Hows that for some details

12. Anonymous says:

> Do you plan to support HTML 4.0 ?

I guarantee they won’t. Practically every browser in existence doesn’t implement HTML 4 (over a technicality, actually, did you know that <b/foo/ is meant to be the same as <b>foo</b>?).

I am interested in the more notable exceptions to Internet Explorer’s support of HTML 4.01 – abbr and object, for example.

> Not sure what ‘standards’ this would fall under but how about support for the <link rel= previous/next/home/alternate etc a whistle admittedly but fun all the same

It would be nice. Even *LYNX* supports them, FFS!

13. Anonymous says:

Hi, long time IE basher, first time commenter.

Personally, I don’t care about security enhancements. I expect security to be improved all the time anyway. No browser, no piece of software is ever going to be fully 100% secure. There’s really nothing anyone can do to provide 100% secure software in this age especially when you’re a browser and a major target.

What do I care about is the standards. If IE 7 implements the standards of at least CSS 2 I would stop trashing it.

I don’t care about tab-browsing. I don’t care about security enhancements. I want web pages to render to the standard first. The fact that the most used browser on the net doesn’t properly render web pages written to the W3C standards makes me want to cry.

14. Anonymous says:

Please add TABBED BROWSING!!!!

15. Anonymous says:

Thanks for taking the time to address the main issues raised in the comments of the IE 7 announcement. I’ll look forward to reading them :)

16. Anonymous says:

What the point of adding more support for ‘standards’, we still have a lot of customers that are on IE 5.5 and few that use IE 5. Our software has to work for most people. Given that over 95% of web users have a version of IE on a computer they have access do, I don’t see us being able to stop supporting IE 5.5 user’s for a long time. Therefore if IE 7 does anything ‘better’ while displaying a web page, it is just make our life harder.

Having 10% (ok maybe 60% in time) of a users with a ‘bug fixed’ version of IE will make our life’s harder. It is a LOT better if 100% of our users has a browser that is “non standard” provided it is “non standard” in the same for all our users!

17. Anonymous says:

As a web developer:

CSS2.1 full support. CSS3 support too. FFS, get full support for *any* standards!

18. Anonymous says:

How about something of actual use to developers? Things like P3P and embedded ActiveX controls (always fun when you’re least expecting them!) are nice novelties for huge corporate inter/intranet servers, but in the real world we just use java applets and plain english privacy policies.

19. Anonymous says:

Dean, I’d like to thank you for your two posts today…this is *maybe* the first time in ? years that I actually do believe that someone at M$ is listening. I *do* appreciate it.

I agree completely with Jeff Parker (above)–fix all the old bugs, even if there are no new features. I LOVE Firefox (used to love IE!) and I can tell you that what many of us see as "features" in FF or Opera or Safari is simply a "lack of IE bugs"–if you fixed them *all*, you’d go a long way towards restoring the positive feelings towards M$ that so many of us used to feel.

I also agree with Chris (above) that : "I want web pages to render to the standard first. The fact that the most used browser on the net doesn’t properly render web pages written to the W3C standards makes me want to cry."

I wouldn’t trade jobs with you for anything…you’ve got your work cut out for you…I just hope that Bill and Ballmer and the rest of the "higher-ups" will really *get* just how bad feeling towards M$ is "out there"–fixing bugs, implementing W3C standards *completely*, removing IE from the OS, these things would make you guys into heroes, and might be just the type of action that could save M$ from itself (which, I presume, would please Mssrs. Gates and Ballmer).

Enough…thank you for listening, thank you for allowing and reading these comments. Please know, we WANT you to succeed.

20. Anonymous says:

*Tabs(www.crazybrowser.com got the best layout and functionality for tabs)

*Url-blocker- to block ads and other junk on webpages, like firefox’s adblocker, you add for example "ads.*.*" and then you wont see any more popups, ads, flashbanners etc.

*Ability to change what the autocomplete-function(pressing ctrl+enter in the adressbar) should add in front/after the typed url.

*Download manager

*Ability to highlight all searchresults on a website instead of stepping forward and backwards with the ctrl+F -function.

21. Anonymous says:

The really important points to remember:

What should be in IE:

– Full HTML support

– XHTML support (application/xhtml+xml)

– Full and correct CSS2 support

– PNG 24 support

– Full ECMA-262[ECM99] support

What will do for IE:

– SVG

– XForms

– X-Voice

Off course better security (maybe rethink ActiveX?)

After all this points (and for ALL WINDOWS!), you can add some GUI features like tab browsing, Rss, swith to other search engine, etc.)

22. Anonymous says:

Erik, valid points, but you CAN change what happens when you Ctrl+Enter.

It’s an entry on jeffdav’s weblog, which you can get to from the links on the left. Unlike another IE team blogger, he actually seems to have content there as opposed to posts like "Fixing bugs is hard, waaah waah waah".

His index.dat series is quite good too.

23. Anonymous says:

OK, I’m not a UI guy. But if I understand correctly there are discrepancies between the way IE 6 currently renders and the CSS2 standards. Either/or type discrepancies where decisions have to be made.

What about adding a Render Mode option that allows one to see a site "thru the eyes" of IE6 and another that is more standardized. This would allow for the transition from old to new without killing any old sites.

I envision a "switch" with settings Compatibility, Standards and Adaptable. Where "Adaptable" can take a cue from the underlying page.

24. Anonymous says:

I don’t really care about new features, all I really want from IE7 are rendering enhancements:

W3C standards support (CSS2, XHTML etc) and full support for transparent PNGs (the current workarounds don’t cut it).

25. Anonymous says:

Please tell me if Ie7 will compatible with Windows x64

26. Anonymous says:

"2. What makes IE7 on Win2K so hard anyway?"

One thing I’ve been hoping for is that future IE components be created using side-by-side (SxS) technology–this way multiple versions can exist on a single system, backward compatibility can be preserved for apps that use IE components, etc. This is how some components (like ComCtl32.dll v6) are now handled.

However, SxS is only supported on XP, 2003, and future operating systems. This would be something that makes "IE7 on Win2k so hard," if they’d be planning on using SxS.

So, despite how good using SxS could be, if it means no IE7 on Win2k, I’m against it. I work at a company that develops software for a vertical industry; our software embeds the WebBrowser control in numerous places so we are definitely interested in IE7. However, without Win2k support it means nothing to us, because we can’t possibly require our customers to have XP.

27. Anonymous says:

I’d like to add a note to all these people who ask for XHTML support in IE. I too feel that would be very welcome. However, building a really good implementation of these standards is a really complex task. Think of validation combined with incremental rendering (note that Mozilla/Firefox doesn’t do incremental rendering for XHTML, yet), extensibility via XML namespace (while IE currently use CSS for this purpose), DOM extensions depending on the namespace (since the W3C has defined a SVG DOM and a MathML DOM extending the XML DOM), possible interactions with Avalon, while maintaining the current performance level, extensibility and improving security. It implies a lot of design choices that can turn out to be bad. In fact, I suspect it could require designing a separate XHTML rendering component (as someone suggested here or on Channel9). It’s a lot of work, and I think we won’t be seeing XHTML support in IE 7. If the alternative is an incomplete XHTML support that will cause problems in the future (e.g. the kind of "support" you get by adding the registry key for application/xhtml+xml to be handled by MSHTML), it may be worth waiting for IE 8. (My guess is that, after security improvements, the developers are looking into the CSS stuff first, and of course PNG transparency, tabs, etc).

28. Anonymous says:

I agree – if you include more XHTML support, do it properly or not at all, and make it clear which it is, and why. Don’t make the mistake of forcing everyone to design to Firefox/Opera and then hacking around IE’s bugs.

You’ve already lost me and my entire social circle, but if you mess this up then even more web developers will line up to spread Firefox.

29. Anonymous says:

Perhaps Microsoft could work on a experimental, but standards-compliant Plug-In for viewing application/xhtml+xml documents.

The plug-in would only take over when served that Mime-Type, and could be regularly updated to fix rendering bugs independantly of the browser.

The xhtml mode would not have to worry about any compatibility with existing IE versions, since no IE version currently supports documents served as application/xhtml+xml.

Plus, if Microsoft didn’t get the rendering right in the first version, at least a full browser upgrade wouldn’t be needed to fix any issues.

Perhaps an HTTP header (such as x-ie-xhtml-version: 1.01) could provide a hint at which version of such a plug-in to use. If the version in the header is newer than the currently installed version, the user could be prompted to install an updated renderer.

No dealing with deployment or Windows Update. Such a rendering engine couldn’t be larger than a few megs (heck, FireFox is insanely small compared to IE, which is one of its greatest "features").

30. Anonymous says:

Hi,

I am really surprised that you will touch all of the items in this recap. I am looking forward to reading your entry on the third one (standards issue), especially.

31. Anonymous says:

Again, again, again, you forgot Outlook Express. What about Outlook Express improvements? It is really ironic at the same time that Bill Gates is talking about the "great" efforts that Microsoft is undertaking to fight spam, Outlook Express, the most widely used e-mail client, to have no spam filtering. None at all! And that despite the "extensive" research that Microsoft Research has also supposedly undertaken since 1998.

32. Anonymous says:

Again, again, again, Please tell me if Ie7 will compatible with Windows x64

33. Anonymous says:

I’ll stick with Firefox for now, thanks…

34. Anonymous says:

Please. Please. This line has been in the W3C specifications. I wanted to see this for years but no one ever implemented this:

"Table rows may be grouped into a head, foot, and body sections, (via the THEAD, TFOOT and TBODY elements, respectively). Row groups convey additional structural information and may be rendered by user agents in ways that emphasize this structure. User agents may exploit the head/body/foot division to support scrolling of body sections independently of the head and foot sections. When long tables are printed, the head and foot information may be repeated on each page that contains table data."

35. Anonymous says:

Only two things I want in IE7 is full W3C compatibility and optimisation.

Tell me, why IE takes so much disk space and memory and has less features than other, small browsers like Firefox? What do those thousands of code lines do?

36. Anonymous says:

I would like to see ActiveX politely shown the door and more support for .NET plug-ins with Microsoft leading the way. Microsoft could get rid of ActiveX controls in the update sites, download sites etc and start using .NET. Then only the required access that needs to be given to perform the tasks they need can be granted.

37. Anonymous says:

Why are you recapping our comments here, instead of on your toDo list? We already know what they are. This smells like "look like" you are listening to the customer to me.

My guess on IE:

– Too little, too late

– insufficient standards support

– more proprietary stuff that goes against every thing the internet stands for

Microsoft is going to have a difficult time catching up with Firefox.

38. Anonymous says:

Question for those talking about standards and wanting CSS3 support goto the URL and comment.

Douglas

39. Anonymous says:

What I want (as a minimum) is full CSS2 support, so I can stop "fixing" and "hacking" my designs for IE.

You simply cannot imagine how frustrating it is to have a menu/layout etc.. render correctly in every major browser on the Mac and PC just to have it garbled by IE.

It is truly the bane of my profession.

Good luck guys…

40. Anonymous says:

I’ve been on a bit of an evangelistic bent on campus recently, extolling, if not the virtues, the overwhelming presence of "Syndication" feeds (nee, <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSS_(protocol)">RSS</a&gt; ).

Basically, that evangelism boils …

41. Anonymous says:

IE 7 在哪个地方可以下载到试用版本啊。

42. Anonymous says:

Mr. Steve Ballmer, web developers are developers too. Implementing atleast over five year old standards such as HTML 4.01 and CSS Level 2 properly would help us developers a lot.

Thanks,

Samuli

Ps. Allowing to embed SVG images, MathML formulas, XForms forms and all would be great, after all this is the twenty-first century.

43. Anonymous says:

is there any patch/fix available for the png-24 bug? or should i promote Mozilla for viewing my websites?

44. Anonymous says:

"I’d like to add a note to all these people who ask for XHTML support in IE. I too feel that would be very welcome. However, building a really good implementation of these standards is a really complex task."

Stop making excuses for them. They have over $50 billion sitting in the bank. They can afford whatever is neccesary to give IE7 good XHTML support.

"It’s a lot of work, and I think we won’t be seeing XHTML support in IE 7. If the alternative is an incomplete XHTML support that will cause problems in the future (e.g. the kind of "support" you get by adding the registry key for application/xhtml+xml to be handled by MSHTML), it may be worth waiting for IE 8."

That’s all Microsoft needs. An excuse to let the web stagnate for 3 more years.

I want correct XHTML support too. If they need to delay IE7 a little. Fine. Push back the release date. But they should be aiming for the stars to make up for their past sins. I’m tired of all the lame excuses about why developing a decent web browser is too hard for the largest and most profitable software company in the world.

45. Anonymous says:

"Microsoft: Your potential, our passion"

Yeah, well I’m a web designer. Where’s your freakin’ passion now?!

I’ll never use IE again, but I know that my clients and readers will. I’d like for them to be able to view the enhanced (CSS2-enabled) versions of sites instead of lo-fi ones that I feed to IE 5.x. I’d like to see IE catch up to Mozilla/Firefox, Opera, and Safari, so that we can all view the same web the same way, despite the different apps used to do it.

46. Anonymous says:

wg: Money doesn’t buy everything. Neither does anger. That implementing XHTML support in IE may require some time to be properly done, no matter how much you invest, is quite obvious if you look at the ways it could be done.

IE6 had quite a good support for standards at its time. It may have been an error to let this aspect go out of focus for a few years, but I’m sure they will eventually catch up. I prefer to support such an evolution with (hopefully) useful feedback rather than vituperations.

Matthew W. Jackson: I like this idea of a plug-in for XHTML, possibly with early public beta versions. I hope it’ll be considered. Possibly, it could be an occasion to move towards a managed implementation (if the speed penalty is not too large), I suspect (not quite sure, but it looks like it) that COM/ActiveX may not be flexible enough for some things (esp. the "DOM depending on the namespace" part).

Anonymous: There were several hidden improvements for OE in the SP2, that’s a good sign! More would be welcome.

47. Anonymous says:

Firefox got XHTML support without a single dime ever being passed…

Why must Microsoft spend billions just to do the same thing?

48. Anonymous says:

I will take finger for you….Microsoft is GOD

49. Anonymous says:

I think everyone should just give Microsoft a Break with ‘their wants’, Microsoft does what they need to do and feel what is right for our community. I like everything that they do, They are the people who everyone knows whether the customers are 4 or 104 years of age, I do admit Microsoft should put out a new major Internet Explorer update. But as far as bashing them, its just pointless, what you might like, they might not like. Be civilized Adults about this… Microsoft has never done me wrong. and as far as I know I trust them more than any other Computer Company. They look after their customers. To put it to you this way, at least they give you free updates to keep you from attackers.. ~Joe

50. Anonymous says:

"To put it to you this way, at least they give you free updates to keep you from attackers.. ~Joe"

They sure do…because it’s more cost-effective than fielding lawsuits from people who’ve been attacked due to their software that let (invited?) those attackers in.

51. Anonymous says:

i surely hope Microsoft dont bloat IE7 with seldom used tools, nobody needs their system clogged with stuff they don’t need.. I just want a clean and smooth working webbrowser,no shiny buttons, just a plain workhorse for the internet with no frills but fully compatible…

52. Anonymous says:

As long as it supposed FULL XHTML 1.0(every subset, as well as http content header types), CSS 1 and 2.1(3 if you want to set an example), REMOVAL OF document.all SUPPORT!…basically full W3C standards strictness.

It also needs to be more robuts…when you use FireFox you jsut feel like you are using something as solid as a tank, but that is also lightweight. Beautiful paradox.

Easier access to options(FireFox is beautiful in this).

Basically for me to switch back to IE…it needs to MATCH and beat Firefox by 200%. I’m NOT a loyalist to any browser. But I **LOVE** my custom firefox with all my extensions(weather, rss enhancements, gmail and yahoo integration, tabbed download manager, auto copy, AdBlock, **web developer** bar)

Ha…wait a sec, IE needs A LOT to catch up. I mean FireFox is flawless. If you don’t like it, SHUT UP AND FIX IT. Get a plug in to make it better. **THE ONLY**…please reread that, not going to? Ok here **THE ONLY** reason to use IE as your browser is for ActiveX applications(the only time I use it is for money.msn.com–the portfolio, it’s great)

But I just can’t give up FireFox’s robust nature, beautiful tab design, customizable text bar, *EASILY* PROGRAMABLE EXTENSIONS API, and EVEN EASIER to write search plugins(where I write a plug in for EVERY site with a form!)…

53. Anonymous says:

Fiery Kitsune: Firefox has a different architecture, with different constraint than IE. E.g. IE has to expose a COM or .Net interface for programmers, while Firefox has a lot more liberty since it doesn’t try to mix as finely with other technologies. Moreover, as I pointed out, Firefox’ support for XHTML still has at least one serious drawback: no incremental rendering.

54. Anonymous says:

It&rsquo;s all in the headline, and who you want to listen to. VNUNet.com: Firefox market share rockets ZDNet UK: Firefox’ growth starts to slip Mozilla&rsquo;s Asa Dotzler notes that Firefox has been downloaded more than 25 million times since its 1.0 release last November and says: &ldquo;As Firefox and other Gecko-based browsers push toward 10%, IE has finally fallen under the 90% mark for the first time in WebSideStory’s tracking history.&rdquo; But a closer reading of the report from WebSideStory (a leading Web metrics firm that specializes in this measurement)&nbsp;tells a slightly different story.&nbsp;In his&nbsp;analysis, WebSideStory CEO Jeff Lunsford notes: We track usage rather than downloads, however, and are seeing that the growth in Firefox&rsquo;s usage has slowed slightly since its big surge in November. This is probably to be expected as we move beyond the early adopter segment. Growing concern over potential security holes in the browser might be another factor to consider. Back in December 2004, it seemed Firefox was a lock to reach 10 percent by mid-2005, ahead of the reported year end goal of the Mozilla Foundation. Given the latest growth rates, the year end target still appears attainable, but a mid-year achievement is unlikely unless we see increased marketing activity from the Mozilla Foundation. For what it&rsquo;s worth I&rsquo;ve been&nbsp;using Firefox as my everyday browser for the past few months, but I&rsquo;ll probably switch to the latest release of Maxthon (formerly MyIE2) this week. And of course I&rsquo;m very interested in seeing what&rsquo;s in the IE7 beta due in a few short months….

55. Anonymous says:

With my end-user hat on for a moment:

Security matters most. I don’t give a monkeys how hard web developers have to work. I don’t care if they spend ages hacking there way around IE bugs. I do care if my credit card details get stolen or my computer gets a virus/spyware installed.

With a dev hat on:

Yes, standards matter. Fall too far behind or become to awkward and developers will abandon IE. Don’t make the mistake Netscape made of thinking you’ll always be #1

56. Anonymous says:

I would have a huge amount of respect for you guys at Microsoft if you would just come out and say that not supporting Windows 2000 is a financial issue. You all would seriously be suprised how far honesty can take you.

57. Anonymous says:

yoou better support win 2000 or else you lose lot of users who trust ie!

58. Anonymous says:

ul#nav li:hover

pseudo-class selectors on all elements!!!

59. Anonymous says:

Please adjust IE7 so it uninstalls that POS called firefox

60. Anonymous says:

We, webmasters really need XHTML 1.1 (application/xhtml+xml) and CSS 2.1 support in standalone IE version.

MSFT: Read "Quirks Mode" at http://channel9.msdn.com/wiki/default.aspx/Channel9.InternetExplorerStandardsSupport. 3-level quirks mode would work, if implemented correctly, allowing compatibility with IE6 and standard support.

61. Anonymous says:

I’m a web developer. I’m building for Firefox and testing in IE later, to see if it still looks the way it should.

If you’re building sites, CSS and other standards are no luxury. In my mind I cannot understand why Microsoft doesn’t have the time of interest to implement them as soon as it can. Things like that are part of a professional view of things. There are no happy users without happy developers.

62. Anonymous says:

I work for a Library and we have quite a few public web systems. What I would really like to see with a new release of I.E. is the ability to EASILY disable what I consider dangerous things in I.E.

For instance, we use a combination of 3rd party software and some registry tweaks I came up with to lock down our desktop and try to keep our systems safe from the patrons who are always trying to break them.

No matter how hard I’ve tried to block it, I.E. always seems to give the ability to save stuff to the desk top or browse the hard drive and network.

Please don’t try the hard sell on the system policy editor or any resource kit/tools. I’ve tried it and I did use the word EASY a couple paragraphs ago.

I would like to just have a decent registry guide to the undocumented stuff that can be secured in I.E.

63. Anonymous says:

Will IE 7.0 place any restrictions on BHOs?

Recently heard of a BHO that captured account numbers and passwords on banking sites.

What’s changing w.r.t. IE 7 and BHOs to prevent such attacks?

64. Anonymous says:

Will the Favicon.ico BUG be fixed in IE7? Also, will there be any enhancements to the IE favorites feature?

65. Anonymous says:

On February 22, Dean posted the " IE7 Comments Recap " on IEBlog , and this is the day 35 since that post. Of course, there was " IE and Standards "

post by Chris Wilson, but, it only gave us the general philosophy on

supporting standards in IE team, a