Red Sox Win the World Series!

Congratulations to the Boston Red Sox, the 2004 World Series Champions!

It is amazing to think that they not only won the World Series for the first time since 1918, but they did it in extraordinary fashion, winning 8 straight games against two of the best teams in baseball.

Before I started working with a VIC-20 or a Commodore 64, I was a baseball fanatic.  I grew up in New England (Vermont to be exact) living and dying with the fate of the Red Sox.  I was fortunate enough to see them play a number of games, cheer for them during the 1975 World Series (they lost to the Cincinnati Reds in seven games), and have my childhood dreams broken by Bucky Dent’s home run in the one game playoff in 1978. The Bill Buckner ground ball in the 1986 World Series only served to remind me of the disappointment of my childhood.

Now these memories are all the more wonderfully bittersweet with their World Series winning victory last night.

Scott

1. Anonymous says:

2. Anonymous says:

Here’s to the hope that my Chicago Cubs can be just as successful, and lift their own plague. Congrats Boston!

3. Anonymous says:

Yes, yes, Red Sox.

I am from STL, I am a Cardinals fan. I thought this was their year. I was excited.

But who can begrudge the Red Sox their victory? I would have liked to see the Cardinals win at least one game though…

4. Anonymous says:

<<America takes it again, that is amazing! Is this like, the millionth time the world series is won by an American team? You tall Americans, you! 😉

(Congrats though, even here in Sweden it’s pretty well known that "Red Sox winning the world series" usually is a joke on the late show). >>

There are two teams in Canada, Ludvig, though one is moving to Washington, D.C. next year.

5. Anonymous says:

>>The bigger joke is the Cubs winning the World Series, and I guess it’s the only joke left now…<<

Evil little…:)

But rightfully so — from cork to fans, we’ve had our fair share. It’s good to see some of the old school teams have made it out of the grave.

6. Anonymous says:

Seriously, though, why is it called "World Series"? Was that a part of the effort to make it a globally popular game (like that’s ever gonna happen with soccer and basketball as competition). I suggest a name change, it sounds almost like Iraqi presidential election, becoming the world champion with no competition from outside…

7. Anonymous says:

From http://encarta.msn.com/encyclopedia_761563019_1/World_Series.html

The first contests resembling the World Series were held during the 1880s, when the leading baseball clubs of the two major leagues—the National League and the American Association—agreed to play in exhibition games following their regular seasons. The name World Championship Series arose during this period, when promoters and journalists sought to arouse interest among fans.

Also see http://www.snopes.com/business/names/worldseries.asp for a discussion of why it’s not named after the New York World newspaper.

8. Anonymous says:

that’s commodore 64. not commadore.

go sox

9. Anonymous says:

Who gives a damn? What does this have to do with IE???

10. Anonymous says:

I am with Bob on this one. This blog is about IE not a developers stupid fan site. Don’t waste my time any more then you already have.

Go Firefox!

11. Anonymous says:

‘world series’ – except one country plays it 😉

bob and ralph need to get a life outside of the realm of their computer.

12. Anonymous says:

It’s a blog, and their human — who really cares either way?

13. Anonymous says:

Borat – I was going to ask if any other country played in the world series (I wasn’t 100% sure – I just know England don’t) but you beat me to it by answering the question already.

So does anyone know if it’s called the world series because anyone can enter, just people outside the US aren’t really into baseball or was it just a badly designed name?

If anyone in the world can enter, I think we should get a team together and beat the americans 😉

14. Anonymous says:

Who cares?

15. Anonymous says:

Hey, turn off the TV and get some work done! 😉

FWIW, I think there are Cuban and Japanese baseball teams, but I don’t think they’re eligible to compete in the World Series. But I’m not sure

16. Anonymous says:

Its really sad, three/four generations and only one championship.

17. Anonymous says:

you all need to get a life

18. Anonymous says:

Can’t believe, as was said above that anybody cares. When I saw 17 replies to thia item I expected loads of flames just like this !

19. Anonymous says:

All of the yankee fans are just jealous! every time one of them says something they think is gonna bring us down it just makes it better because we are reminded of how we beat them! we are the champions and theyre not!!!!!!!!!! GO RED SOX! its unreal. Im still having dreams that it didnt really happen! I live in st.louis but ive been a huge red sox fan all of my life. wearing my boston hat in around St louis and to game was the best. it was so great and suprising how many red sox fans came to st louis to cheer them on! boston has the best fans in all of sports! GO RED SOX!!!YAH!!!