IE add-ons in Marketplace

The information published in this post is now out-of-date and one or more links are invalid.

—IEBlog Editor, 20 August 2012

Hi, I’m Gary Schare and I run the product management team for IE.  This includes defining and communicating the IE value proposition for all customer segments and helping the product team with long-term product strategy.  I posted a comment last week about Windows Marketplace on the Community Site entry and wanted to follow up with more info.

Windows Marketplace went live this week and contains an entire section devoted to browser add-ons. This section comes directly from Download.com so all add-ons already listed there are searchable in Marketplace.

If you haven’t already noticed, IE in XP SP2 ships with a link to Marketplace in the Links folder. So millions of users will be visiting the site very soon.  If you’re a developer and want to get your new products listed there, visit the Marketplace partner site, but you have to be a member of the Microsoft Partner Program to list your products.  You can sign up right on the site.

– Gary

1. Anonymous says:

What’s this got to do with IE? Other than the fact that your admitting to pimping your sites in SP2, it has very little, is anything to do with IE. Same old Microsoft.

2. Anonymous says:

Loads of old links for IE 5 or even Netscape plugins (didn’t know Netscape was a Microsoft Partner?). If I were the world’s biggest software vendor I’d be ashamed of such a site under my name…

3. Anonymous says:

Five minutes after my comment I get tons of

You are not authorized to view this page

The Web server you are attempting to reach has a list of IP addresses that are not allowed to access the Web site, and the IP address of your browsing computer is on this list.

when visiting windowsmarketplace.com. Is this the answer? Well, I don’t need it…

4. Anonymous says:

Apparently, Turnip, you didn’t read closely enough:

"Windows Marketplace went live this week and contains an entire section devoted to browser add-ons."

I may not be Microsoft’s biggest fan, either, but stop and think for a minute before you accuse.

5. Anonymous says:

Great!

Could somebody please point me to the "ad-block for IE" plugin? 😉

Including spyware like new.net isn’t very good for the credibility of this site..

(oh I’m SURE it isn’t spyware from a legal point of view, but that’s hardly the point)

The rest of the site seems… mediocre.

a Download.com ‘wannabe’ :/

sorry, I really wish I had something more positive to say.. ok, a positive ending:

I am confident IE7 will be a lot better than this site is right now :p

6. Anonymous says:

The most popular downloads are malware blockers and cleaners.

7. Anonymous says:

Does everything search related have to be about "marketing". The idea of providing an "index" that doesn’t include "free ware" that doesn’t produce enough "revenue" to pay a ($100.00 ?) listing fee doesn’t sound like something Einstein would invent– that is… not if he was designing for the Internet consumer. As the old adage goes– with friends like Microsoft, who needs enemies…. God I hate the Internet!

8. Anonymous says:

I would fix your product’s engine before I offer add-on’s to the browser. That’s like buying a car that runs poorely and spending time and finances giving it new rims and a paint job.

It’s arrogant to offer add-on capability to software that doesn’t run properly on it’s own foundation. I would still rather see Microsoft invest it’s money in improving it’s products than investing in the hours and development costs it takes to run and maintain this.

9. Anonymous says:

So if I add my software here then MS will know how popular it is and if it should compete with me or not.

Does not sound like a good proposition.

10. Anonymous says:

Mozilla’s share is now up to 19% (when you count Netscape 6+ as it is based on Mozilla’s code base). Microsoft has fallen for yet another month.

Can’t wait for the day when its right up there with Apache’s market share. 🙂

11. Anonymous says:

^^^

Posting this is like going over to the Firefox forum and posting "OMG IE STILL HAS OVER 90% MARKETSHARE LOSERS, LOLOLOL"

‘s not cool, man. not cool at all.

12. Anonymous says:

90%??? You give yourself too much credit. 🙂

Actually, IE has only 73% now compared to about 82% a few months ago. 🙂

13. Anonymous says:

Bob, where are you getting your numbers from? Thats the first time I’ve ever heard of a % of IE market share that low.

14. Anonymous says:

"You give yourself too much credit. :)"

Hey, I’m a committed Firefox user, but sometimes you’ve got to face the facts.

15. Anonymous says:

Btw, you’re going to =love= these statistics, then 😉

16. Anonymous says:

Are you two planning on recapping the entire Slashdot thread on Firefox share? It was only Saturday, after all.

17. Anonymous says:

I can’t see the Mouse Gestures plug-in for IE on the Marketplace site. Why is that?

18. Anonymous says:

——————–

Apparently, Turnip, you didn’t read closely enough:

——————–

I did think before I accused. I’m not denying that it contains some content vaguely related to IE, I was just saying that that content *is* very vague. Just because it’s a Microsoft site doesn’t make it special. They would get flamed if they put up a post saying "Download.com has an entire section devoted to browser add-ons."

That’s not what we wanna hear from this blog. We wanna hear what’s going on with the development of IE, what there plans are, etc. And all they want to do is just flog more of their stuff.

19. Anonymous says:

Actually that article was listing last months data. And as I have had to explain to others before, those are the most accurate and up to date statistics on web browsers.

They are compiled from 10 different large traffic sites (including their own stats) to get the most accurate data. Unlike my personal site that shows 40% of the 2 million a month of hits comes from Mozila, this gives a more accurate measure.

I can attest that even 5% of internal Microsoft employees run Mozilla. 🙂

20. Anonymous says:

"They are compiled from 10 different large traffic sites (including their own stats) to get the most accurate data."

From http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

"(The statistics above are extracted from W3Schools’ log-files, but we are also monitoring other sources around the Internet to assure the quality of these figures)"

Sounds like you trust their numbers too much. Those are in-house statistics.

21. Anonymous says:

Back to the real topic, is it alright to have Firefox and Opera rendering errors on that site? IE users are not the only people who might try to use that site (in general).

Firefox 9.1+: The "Page x of y" is in the wrong place. Instead of being below the search results, its to the right.

Opera 7.50: The buttons Home, Software, etc are displayed in a column instead of a row.

Netscape 4.7: Do I really need to go there? 🙂

22. Anonymous says:

Snowknight,

what part of ‘but we are also monitoring other sources around the Internet to assure the quality of these figures’ means they are using ONLY their own figures? 🙂

English must be a second language, eh?

23. Anonymous says:

> Firefox 9.1+: The "Page x of y" is in the

> wrong place. Instead of being below the

> search results, its to the right.

> Opera 7.50: The buttons Home, Software, etc

> are displayed in a column instead of a row.

Ok, the IE team/Microsoft may be really good, but how in the world are they going to fix bugs in Firefox and Opera to make them render basic HTML correctly?

Linus

24. Anonymous says:

If you’re wondering why the validator bombs out so early, look at the original page’s source and be amazed by the position of the DOCTYPE :)))))

Linus, that isn’t basic HTML, it’s invalid HTML. You can’t expect Gecko and Opera to always render such crap properly.

25. Anonymous says:

any notice nobody from MS ever comments on these blog comments? Probably because most of the comments are just boring immature slashdot style digs at Microsoft, they get incredibly tedious after a while.

26. Anonymous says:

Yeah but they are still fun 🙂

Besides, while they are out and about trying to ‘Get The Facts’. it’s fun to lay them out right in front of them…heh.

Can’t wait til the next ad campaign where they say running Mozilla has a TCO 10 times that of Internet Explorer! LOL!

27. Anonymous says:

"what part of … means they are using ONLY their own figures? :)"

Good point. In my opinion, it means that they check other sources to make sure there isn’t a problem with their numbers. The numbers themselves aren’t aggregated.

"English must be a second language, eh?"

Primary. On the internet, it’s a good idea not to assume too much. There is a warning about that in the word itself. 😉

28. Anonymous says:

Would there by any chance IE would support IDN natively *without* browser add-on?

29. Anonymous says:

Heh…it’s missing the Google Toolbar. I wonder which company (Microsoft or Google) had the final say on that decision? I can’t imagine the Google Toolbar wouldn’t have at least made a prospectives list, given some of the add-on obscurities you have present in there.

30. Anonymous says:

The Google toolbar is listed under Software > Utilities > Internet > Seach Tools.

31. Anonymous says:

My apologies for missing the Google toolbar, which does exist per the post above. I also see why I missed it: I used the link in the original post for "browser add-ons" (which I interpreted to mean the Google toolbar), but scanning through the popularity lists didn’t show the Google toolbar. Why? I was searching through the wrong category.

I do find this kind of funny given that UltraBar, LittleBigBar, EarthlinkToolbar, and other toolbars (including many that perform similar functions to the Google toolbar) are in this category. Cross-referencing would probably be a good idea if the Windows Marketplace setup allows it.

32. Anonymous says:

I have always been a big fan of Microsoft and especially IE. When the disaster known as Netscape Communicator entered the market with lots of proprietary extensions, IE4 entered with standards support.

My how things have turned. IE is the bloated and stagnant browser, while Firefox, a Netscape descendant, kicks Explorer ass, and not just in XPSP2 – but all versions of Windows!

I’m a .NET developer. I plan to stay loyal there. But, unfortunately, you’ve already lost me on IE – I’ve slipped away, and I use Firefox.

33. Anonymous says:

.. hmmmmmmmm … Is there an addon or plugin that fixes the crappy rendering engine? I guess I’ll have to go look, but I hate getting IE out of the dustbin just to look at another proprietary Microsoft site.