See video of Dean, the leader of the Internet Explorer team

The information published in this post is now out-of-date and one or more links are invalid.

—IEBlog Editor, 20 August 2012

Channel 9 has just released a video where Dean discusses the exciting challenge of leading the Internet Explorer team. It’s well worth watching this and all the other videos on Channel 9 which often give an understanding into the motivation behind the projects we undertake.
For those of you who aren’t aware, Channel 9 was established by five guys at Microsoft to allow you to get an insight into Microsoft and as a forum for discussion. If you aren’t a member then join up, it does require an email address but that is only ever used to confirm your identity. We also have a Wiki for Internet Explorer on Channel 9 which is a great place to leave feedback and suggestions and be sure that the team will see them.
Keep watching Channel 9 for more videos of Dean and the IE team as we continue to work on Internet Explorer and our plans for the future.

Thanks
-Dave Massy
Program Management team
Internet Explorer

1. Anonymous says:

Psssshhhh, he reminds me of an over-charasmatic jehovah’s witness.

"What’s the right way to do this?"

Get a decent browser!

2. Anonymous says:

I would love to watch it – but my browser is Safari and it won’t load the video. This problem gives me quite a bit of ‘insight into Microsoft’, and highlights why I use Safari.

Dave, can you hire some people who understand the mechanics of web design so that you have a proper baseline to test against?

If this comment seems harsh to you, please post an explanation (technical or otherwise) for the behaviour of this page, and the reason the IE team is willing to use a crippled site to discuss the technical challenges being undertaken?

3. Anonymous says:

Hi Alfred,

The channel 9 team tell me this should work in Safari just fine and does in their tests. If you can let us know what version of media player you have then we can look into it.

Thanks

-Dave Massy

4. Anonymous says:

My apologies, Dave.

It’s now working. Don’t know what happened – perhaps a conflict with VLC which is also installed and set as the primary handler for Windows media (I have version 9 of the Windows Media Player installed, but Microsoft refuses to supply some codecs to the Mac that are available, apparently, through VLC. But that’s another story).

It’s easy to jump to conclusions after a long week working on a web application where IE was the bad boy. My last attempt to view a Windows Media movie at Microsoft (from the Visual Studio team) gave me a download wrapped in an exe file! I don’t envy your job – you have a mountain of mistrust to climb!

By the way, the biggest problem with this web app is working around IE’s event model. One of the things that your team could start with is a frank discussion of the situation, reason for choices and roadmap for such things, a la Dave Hyatt on his blog. The discussions need not be frequent, but when they occur, they can’t be fluff.

And I stand by my previous suggestion – get some fresh, outside help to design a suite of reference web apps that will provide a target for design. I’m referring to something far more elaborate than the usual "Pet Shop" example. It really is possible to design rich applications in browsers, even the current version of IE, but IE always comes off as a poor second, even after the best design efforts are applied.

5. Anonymous says:

It’s awfully easy to wave your hands and blame mysterious "conflicts with VLC", insinuating that’s Microsoft’s fault.

Perhaps the problem with playing the media was simply somewhere between the keyboard and the chair.

6. Anonymous says:

> There’s certainly no deliberate attempt to lock out users of other platforms. If there are issues we’d love to hear it.

Dave, more than one person has already posted comments here complaining that the comment system is broken in Opera, but you haven’t done anything about it, despite the fact that I have explained exactly what the issue is and how to fix it.

7. Anonymous says:

Jim,

Thanks for the feedback. This blog is using the same system as all the blogs at http://blogs.msdn.com. We’ll pass this on to the people who manage the blog system as this isn’t something the IE team can directly control.

Thanks

-Dave

8. Anonymous says:

Thanks, Dave.

9. Anonymous says:

Hi Jim,

I did a little research here and it turns out we can change the theme used on the blog and have this work in Opera. We just changed that (though I don’t like the new theme quite as much) and I’m posting this comment from Opera just to check that it works now.

We’ll see if we can get the old theme fixed as well though so that other blogs using this system do not inadvertantly hit this issue.

Thanks

-Dave

10. Anonymous says:

Internet Explorer is crappy and insecure; add to that, it’s by Microsoft.

Get a real browser: http://www.mozilla.org

11. Anonymous says:

Sigh.

We don’t need the IE team to waste time trying to determine "the bigger problem" solved by tabbed browsing. We need the IE team to implement Web standards across the board (CSS2, DOM3, PNG, SVG, RSS, IRL, etc). The problems have been thought about, and solved. All we need is a unified implementation of them.

Thankfully it looks like we’ll eventually get that with Mozilla. Maybe in 2008 or so when longhorn is finally widespread I’ll come back and take a look at the nifty new media-toolbar or whatnot the IE teams though of. but hopefulyl by that point IE won’t matter.

12. Anonymous says:

i like to see it. i installed internetexplorer tonight thanks anneliese

13. Channel 9 has just released a video where Dean discusses the exciting challenge of leading the Internet Explorer team. It’s well worth watching this and all the other videos on Channel 9 which often give an understanding into the motivation behind th