Visual Studio 2008 RTM now on MSDN subscriber downloads

In case you didn’t see this elsewhere, if you’re an MSDN subscriber you can download Visual Studio 2008 right away. And .NET 3.5 of course. All very cool.

While there are a whole host of new features (and the Moth’s blog is a great place to read about some of these, for example this link) the three that stand out for me are:

• Proper targeting of Windows Vista, and great support for developing WPF apps
  • Full support for Office 2007 development in VS Pro – no need to buy a separate product (ie the old VSTO product no longer exists)
  • And of course: LINQ in .NET 3.5

Other people will, I’m sure, have a different set of favourite features. So don’t flame me if I’ve failed to mention something that you think should have been in my top 3! 🙂

For those of you developing on Windows Live, don’t forget to get hold of the extensions to VS 2008 that make life easier for you.

1. Russ says:

If you can get there. I have been gettting server errors from MSDN downloads all morning.

2. Ian Moulster says:

Yes, I’m having trouble too. I have been assured that this is being worked on as a matter of urgency.

3. Sean says:

Doesnt seem to have been added yet, or at least not flagged as public yet.

4. Russ says:

Does anyone actualy see VS 2008? We paid a LOT of money for VS2005 Team suite with SA, and I don’t see 2008. I have VS2005 and all its glory, but no VS2008.

5. Jeff says:

I don’t see it listed under Developer Tools!

6. Dag H. Baardsen says:

Yep, but without the VS2008 download…

7. Ian Moulster says:

I see Team Suite 2008 (under developer tools)? Does this not appear for you?

8. Dag H. Baardsen says:

I guess they have removed it while they sort out the problems with the MSDN platform. I guess there is prette much load on those servers now.

9. Nas says:

Seems to log in, but no references to VS2008 anywhere (nor .NET 3.5)

10. Dag H. Baardsen says:

Team Suite is normally not a part of my download which is the Gold Partner downloads. Normally, I should see the Team Developer Edition – perhaps that’s why?

11. Martin says:

I’ve had error all day long, too. Now I can get in, but there’s no VS2008 🙁

12. Dan Arnold says:

I think it depends on your subscription level. Does anyone have specific details on who gets what when?

13. Ian Moulster says:

I probably posted slightly too early, and my apologies if that’s caused undue distress. Team Suite is there now though. But as people have pointed out that’s only true if you have the appropriate subscription.

Keep watching for other versions.

14. Okay, Ian – that is understandable. I hope there are someone, somewhere that can elaborate on the "keep watching" timeline 🙂

15. Ian Moulster says:

As soon as I have more I can say, I’ll let you know.

16. Ian Moulster says:

As Soma has just blogged that the products have RTMed(http://blogs.msdn.com/somasegar/archive/2007/11/19/visual-studio-2008-and-net-framework-3-5-shipped.aspx) I feel slightly better about saying the other editions will be on MSDN subscriber downloads imminently…

17. Ii seems the downloads are there now, but you have to access them using the links on this page:

And – the "Development edition" that the link calls it – I guess what they mean is the "Developer Edition". A small typo in the link…

18. Ian Moulster says:

Dag – these are just the trials. If you need to install in a hurry you could download these and get 90 days of use. Or wait a (hopefully very short) while and get the full product from subscriber downloads.

19. vs2005vs2008 says:

Hi, are there any conflits between having VS 2005 and VS 2008 ?

Thanks

20. You sure? The link on the Developer Edition takes me right to the subscription logon page and the name of the ISO file does not say anything about a "trial" edition – as opposed to the topmost links. I ahevn’t seen any trials inside the Subscription site yet, so if you’re right – this is the first…

Anyway, I’ll give it a try. I guess I can ditch on you later if I am correct and you’re not 🙂