Trial versions of Visual Studio 2005 available in EMEA

If you’re in EMEA and have been looking for a way to get your hands on trial versions of Visual Studio 2005, there’s now a site where you can download or order a DVD/CD:

Products available are:

• Visual Studio 2005 Team Suite 180-Day DVD Trial (includes SQL Server 2005 and Team Foundation Server Beta 3 Refresh)
  • Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition 180-Day Trial
  • SQL Server 2005 Enterprise Edition 180-Day DVD Evaluation
  • Visual Studio 2005 Team Foundation Server Beta 3 CD Refresh

1. Kris says:

How about North America?

2. Ian Moulster says:

Visit and select your region as North America. You’ll get the same options of trial software.

3. denis says:

Can someone help us download this triaL software for free? any direct download link here will be appreciated.Not everyone pocess the credit card microsoft is aggressively demanding!

4. Ian Moulster says:

Yes good question. We did originally talk about a download link for the VS trials but it seems to have been removed. I’ll find out.

5. Ian Moulster says:

You’ll be glad to know that we’re going to put up a download link. There was some fear expressed about the size of the downloads but I think this should be for you guys to decide whether it’s too big to download or not. At least you’ll have the option.

As soon as the link is available I’ll post it.

And Denis, as a thanks for pointing this out, if you email me your address I’ll put a copy in the post for you – no credit card required 🙂

6. Ye Myint Win says:

Hello I need VS 2005

7. Ye Myint Win says:

Hello I need VS 2005

8. skirt says:

can you give a download link??

9. somebody says:

You wan’t a link? Here is it:

Look at the end of the page for the downloadable versions.

But remember, you have to register.

10. Gary Burton-Wilcock says:

Hi – I’ve downloaded this file but can’t get it to install. I made the DVD from the image and I extracting the files from the img. Neither route led to a setup that actually worked. Has anybody else been successful?

Cheers  – frustrated of Oxford!

11. Ian Moulster says:

This post is from nearly 4 years ago and VS2005 has now out of date, it may be best to try the 2010 beta trial. Head to

Maybe I should start deleting old posts….apologies for your frustration.

12. Gary Burton-Wilcock says:

I’ll try VS2010 but I was hoping to use the same environment as a partner who is using VS2005 for building a Windows CE application. The img file is still available for downloading but just doesn’t work. Any ideas why?

My frustration is with Microsoft – their current advice is to use this trial version of VS to evaluate Windows Embedded but the route doesn’t work.

13. Ian Moulster says:

Hmm no I can’t think of any good reason why it wouldn’t work. Who advised you to use VS2005 trial? I’ll follow up with them for you if it’s a Microsoft person.

14. Gary Burton-Wilcock says:

I looked up windows embedded ce and got to here …

I downloaded all the files and the rest is the history above. The image file doesn’t seem to contain a valid installer. I’m using XP Pro sp3 but don’t think that’s the problem.

Thanks for your help.

by the way – glad you didn’t delete the old posts!

15. Gary Burton-Wilcock says:

Got the info from this website. Downloaded all of the files but with no joy. Seems like this is the current advice for how to do a CE evaluation. I’m not certain I can do what I need with the VS2010 beta trial.

I’ll keep trying and let you know if I succeed

Thanks for your help.

16. Ian Moulster says:

Just to cover this off now that I’m up to speed: Platform Builder, the Windows CE developer toolkit that enables you to create the embedded image, includes a full copy of Visual Studio 2005 and that is the version that the product is designed to work with. This isn’t a major issue in most cases as the vast bulk of embedded projects use native code but it would be interesting to hear if anyone has significant issues with the use of VS2005 for embedded work.

Gary – obviously your issue is somewhat different in that you’re having trouble installing the trial. Not sure what the issue is here, I’m told we have not heard this as a general issue. Could you try on a different machine?

17. Gary Burton-Wilcock says:

Hmmm. Installed Platform builder and Windows CE 6.0R2. Tried to install SP1 for the platform builder and guess what … it said that I don’t have VS2005 installed. Tried to make an installation DVD from the 90 day trial image using Roxio DE and Nero – neither DVD’s contained valid setup exe’s. Has anybody (particularly at Microsoft) actuallly made a usable installation DVD from the image file that’s on the website. Tried different machines.

Looks like I might have more chance of winning the lottery than getting a trial version of VS2005 :o)

18. Ian Moulster says:

Gary – I’ll work with you offline re this

19. A Johnson says:

Why offline? I’ve been following this post to reach a resolution to the exact same problem Gary is having! VS2005 Trial does not include a valid setup. Using Autorun or Setup both result in a brief command prompt flash ans then nothing.

20. Ian Moulster says:

Sorry for the delay in replying. I have managed to get some trial DVDs that contain VS2005, if you send me your address (via the contact link) I’ll post one to you.

21. Vasanthi says:

I am facing the same problem with VS2005.

Any solution found in the mean time. Pls let me know.

OR can we try with a different version of VS for WinCE?

22. Ian Moulster says:

Hi Vasanthi, easiest answer is for me to send you (via regular postal service) a DVD with the trial. If you ping me your address via the contact link for this blog I’ll send a copy to you straight away.

23. jbrugger says:

Have been encountering same problem with img file on multiple platforms. Even some of the htm files are unreadable after multiple burns, etc.

other than a dvd sent via mail is there any other way to resolve this?

24. Ian Moulster says:

Not that I am aware of. I’d be happy to send you a DVD if you drop me an email with your postal address

25. Vikas Chourasiya says:

I need VS2005 for some of my evaluation work for old applications. Can someone guide me, where can I find that.

26. Ian Moulster says:

Hi Vikas – I have an eval copy (180 day) that I can send to you, this contains Visual Studio 2005 Professional, Windows Embedded CE 6.0 platform builder plugin for VS2005, Windows Embedded CE 6.0 R3 with R2 components. If you contact me directly via this blog with your postal address I will get it sent to you.

Just FYI: I'm not connected with the embedded team, I just happen to have some eval copies on my desk and obviously am more than happy to get them to people such as yourself if you need them.

Rgds Ian.

27. fartold says:

Hi – I'm trying to install Win CE too? any resolution?

28. DriesVP says:

Dear Ian,

Also looking for VS 2005 + CE 6.0 development. Already possibilities to develop CE 6.0 with VS 2008 or later?

29. !!!MS!!! says:

This iso doesn't work in WIN2000 SP1.