Enabling Windows Store on Windows To Go machines

Enabling Windows Store on Windows To Go machines

Windows To Go is a new feature that is introduced in Windows 8 Enterprise version. It enables users to boot directly into an enterprise level Operating System from their external hard-drives. Windows To Go is not intended to replace desktops, laptops or supplant other mobility offerings. Rather, it provides support for efficient use of resources for alternative workplace scenarios.

You can find more information around Windows To Go here.

One of the restrictions that is applied to Windows To Go machines is that the Windows Store is disabled by default. Now, I need to dig deeper into what exactly is the reason for this (if you, dear reader, come across any reasons; do let me know Smile). But, it is not that you cannot enable it at all. It is possible, and you do it via the group policies. This can be through the Active Directory Group Policy (true for enterprise environments); or through local group policies (true for small environments). The following are the steps you need to take:

1. Go to the group policy editor. You can go to the gpmc.msc for the Active Directory Group Policy Management Console, or gpedit.msc for the local Group Policy Editor.

2. Go to Computer Configuration/Administrative templates\Windows Components\Store. Go to the “Allow Store to install apps on Windows To Go workspaces” policy.

windows to go

3. Enable the Group Policy. The important thing to notice are the supported Operating Systems.

windows to go 2

4. Hit Apply.

You can then apply the group policy on the computer by running gpudpate /force in the command prompt for the changes to apply.

And you are good to go. Hope this helps.

Happy reading!

1. Paul Switkowski says:

This did not work for me, I still get the same message.

2. Minghao Sun says:

After did the change, the Store can opened, but cannot pay and install any APPs, and cannot show my purchased APPs.

Any idea?

3. @Paul: Please check if there is any contradicting GPO (some domain wide policy may be) that might be causing the problem.

@Minghao: I haven't come across other customers facing this. You can check whether the app is published for use in your region, as many apps are region limited.

4. @russ152 says:

Worked for me!  Thanks!

-Windows 8 Pro on external USB HDD

5. Robert says:

How to tell windows, i have not windows to go (since i installed mapsource for garmin)

now i can not access windows store as before.

6. Brady says:

When I originally installed Windows 8 Pro onto my USB flash drive, it told me that the store is disabled on Windows to Go.  I applied this policy change and now it allows me into the store.

However, it now tells me that there is a problem whenever I try to install any app.

Would activation have anything to do with this?  And if so, will a Windows 8 Pro Windows-to-go install want to activate again everytime I plug it into a new system?

Thanks,

7. Frank B says:

This worked for me.

Still don't know why Windows * thinks it's on a workspace-it isn't.

Anyone any idea why it thinks this way and how to get it to work as it should.

8. hendi says:

goood yeahhhh…. this work!!! tq vm! ๐Ÿ˜€

9. If you still can't get the Windows Store to open on your Windows-To-Go then follow the instructions here:

superuser.com/…/109803

10. Jailson Alves says:

Pra adiantar a soluรงรฃo.. Abra o CMD como administrador e cole o seguinte comando e seja feliz:

reg add HKLMSYSTEMCurrentControlSetControl /v PortableOperatingSystem /t REG_DWORD /d 0

11. Dan Sutton says:

Worked for me: the thing was then able to install two updates. Thanks.

12. Nitin Vashist says:

It worked for me and able to install the apps as well,

However there is a i m facing i don't know other are facing or not, whenever i remove my USB Drive(Pen Drive)  from the computer it freezes and than shut down and there is a error something about inaccessible boot device.

i am using Windows 8 Pro.

Thanks

13. ogunj says:

It worked for me and able to install the apps as well, thanks

14. Vimal says:

You may need to run gpupdate /force to enforce this policy

15. Jordan Harvey says:

Thankyou

i enabled this and windows store now works ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks again

16. konsta says:

4. Hit Apply.

You can then apply the group policy on the computer by running gpuPDate /force in the command prompt for the changes to apply.

17. Mike Neal says:

The command should have read "gpupdate /force".

18. Callum Biggins says:

Worked for my domain WTG workspaces. very important for our users to access the store so thank you (y) ๐Ÿ™‚

19. erdene says:

This did not work for me, I still get the same message and how i get and download apps

20. Nima says:

hi . i have a problem ! this file " Allow Store to install apps on Windows To Go workspaces " isn't in folder !!!

pls help me .