Your feedback on Beta2 install experience

• Did the download and install succeed the first time?  If not, how many times did it take?
  • Did you come across a situation where you decided to cancel the download or install?  If so, why?
  • What do you like/hate about Express?  (It could be setup specific or not related to Express setup)?
  • What do you wish to see in Express that is not there (It could be setup specific or not related to setup)?
  • What do you think of the uninstall tool http://mscomapps/fwlink/edit.asp?linkid=47065

The cancel one is particularly interesting to me, since we can see occurrences of this in the Watson data, but don’t get a lot of visibility into why this happened and whether the setup is broken somehow. I looking forward to hearing what folks experienced.

Thanks, Hong Gao

1. Quentin Pouplard says:

I’m not sure it’s the right place, but I encountered a strange bug, probably related to BITS not the setup: With a "dynamic proxy" setting in IE (automatic configuration script), I was unable to install the product (no download at all). I had to fix the proxy to the right one and restart the service.

I guess it’s not the expected behaviour.

Thanks for any comment!

poubelle@alrj.org

2. Daniel Rieck says:

I downloaded Beta 2 of C# Express the first day it was available to the general public, but had to cancel the download several times because I only got 3 kB/sec.

3. Travis Owens says:

I had no problems with the install, while I forget the speed I recieved, it must have been pretty good as I don’t recall waiting any excessive amount of time.

I didn’t start using VS until VS2k3 and thought it was one of the worst installs I’ve ever seen (you need disc 1-3 and only during installation did I learn you need this "pre-requisists disc" which isn’t even given a formal number).

I think one of you guys over there at MS realized the install was so ghastly because I think VS2k5 has the best installer I’ve ever used, lots of metadata during install, and a simple no nonsense install.

Good work.

4. Typhoon121 says:

I installed the visual studio team beta 2 and opted in to the setup data sending. I was twice asked to send data and did. The first one sent me to a web page to fill in more information I did and the second one just sent. A few days later I got an email from a representative at on the VS team at MS asking for more information on my install and had me send some install log files. I think that this level of service and responce from a major program release like this.

In my opinion install/uninstall is the worst part of most programs. If you get crap cleaner at (ccleaner.com) and run the registry cleaner ater using a fresh machine image there are tons in registry problems anbd most relate to old versions of programs (an updater did not take care of all old files and reg keys) or left over from uninstalled programs. Speficially with open with that links a program to an extension.

5. hgao says:

Thank YOU for letting me know. Your feedback weather it is through Watson or forums truly matters. We love to hear all comments, concerns and suggestions. The positive comments encourage the team tremendously. The opposite ones give us opportunities to learn how to improve.

Below are a couple of quick notes on some of the comments.

– For initial slow download speed issue is known and it seems to be caused by cable company’s infrastructure after an investigation. Please do let us know if you still see such problem

– For BITS errors, more help could be found at my post http://blogs.msdn.com/hgao/archive/2005/05.aspx with issue 7 "what if I have download error?" http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/troubleshoot_guide.rtf

6. balajik says:

I’ve mentioned my installation experiences @ Aaron Stebner’s blog.

Express Editions:

SQL Server 2005:

VS 2005 beta 2: The installation went like a breeze. But i made a fresh install of Win Server 2003. So, it had no previous bits of 2.0. And comparing to VS 2002 and VS 2003, VS 2005 got installed way faster.

7. Kent Sharkey says:

For those who have installed Beta 2 (especially those who had already Beta 1 or a CTP installed), the…

8. Jeff Parker says:

All I can say is ARRRRRGGGG

The day it came out went and logged into MSDN started the download and well it was very slow, to be expected I figured you guys were doing a lot of downloading that day with sql server and everything.

>>Did the download and install succeed the first time? If not, how many times did it take?

No it didn’t go the first time for some reason I only got half of the file. I think too many downloads were going on first day. No biggy redownloaded. Infact I redownloaded every single night except maybe one or two nights every single one Virtual PC wouldn’t recognize it as a valid iso image. Nero DvD burning software would recognize it and burn it every time, install would fail every single time on permcalc.exe every single burn, install failed right there. I have never had any problems with burning CD’s before or ISO images, I burned XP and several other ISO images even SQL Server 2005 with same software and rom drive. I never ever got it installed. Finally at the .net user group this week MS had sent us a bunch of packaged CD’s to give away. I could install it just fine from there.

More info on http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=16744

>> Did you come across a situation where you decided to cancel the download or install? If so, why?

Didn’t have a choice as problems above list when the permcalc.exe failed to copy there was only a retry or cancel button. Retry didn’t work cancel rolled back install(Not cleanly either I might add).

What do you like/hate about Express?

I am hoping this is not all about express, my problems were with the full VS in Beta 2.

Didn’t use it, used a fresh XP SP2 Virtual PC each time.

9. Joe Chung says:

I had problems installing Visual Studio 2005 Beta 2 from the DVD’s. It installed the "core" components but was unable to install the "mobile" bits — any of them.

I had Express Editions of the Beta 2’s installed beforehand and uninstalled these before trying to install the VS2005 beta. I also had the June CTP of SQL Server 2005 installed but left that there since I didn’t keep the downloaded files and didn’t want to redownload those files.

I wasn’t interested in installing the Mobile Framework bits since I’m not doing any mobile development, but I gave it a second unsuccessful try before giving up.

Express was great! The only thing I miss was being able to load different projects into one Express Edition, e.g., loading a VB Express project from C# Express.

10. the installation of beta2 team suite was extremly tricky (i had beta1 installed).

i tried it four times on different machines, until it finally worked. i always got some "component errors" in visual studio, when i tried to use the test tools (for example). i tried the "uninstall tool" but that didn’t solve anything. finally i found the "clean up hack" post in this blog, which got it working.

11. Pesho says:

Your blog is very interesint

12. Alex says:

Nice site! Good job!

13. 7205789 says:

该卡安放咔叽

14. Your site is very informational for me. Nice work.

15. We released Beta 2 Visual Studio Express products 6 weeks ago.  We have been listening to your feedback through forums, Watson feedback data (you can opt-in such program at the beginning of the setup) etc. We published a tool to help uninstalling Beta/CTP program. I appreciated your feedback to make VS 2005 better. I am wondering your experience/thoughts in a few areas after Beta 2 release.

I do not agree. Go to http://www.hotelsgames.info/onus_United%20Kingdom/pliocene_England/inerrability_Ilfracombe_1.html

16. We released Beta 2 Visual Studio Express products 6 weeks ago.  We have been listening to your feedback through forums, Watson feedback data (you can opt-in such program at the beginning of the setup) etc. We published a tool to help uninstalling Beta/CTP program. I appreciated your feedback to make VS 2005 better. I am wondering your experience/thoughts in a few areas after Beta 2 release.

I do not agree. Go to http://www.bestjobz.info/ambassadress_Belgium/feritory_Flandre/stanza_Bruges_1.html

17. We released Beta 2 Visual Studio Express products 6 weeks ago.  We have been listening to your feedback through forums, Watson feedback data (you can opt-in such program at the beginning of the setup) etc. We published a tool to help uninstalling Beta/CTP program. I appreciated your feedback to make VS 2005 better. I am wondering your experience/thoughts in a few areas after Beta 2 release.

I do not agree. Go to http://apartments.waw.pl/

18. Memmorium says: