ASP.NET MVC, Web API, and Web Pages RC NuGet Packages

The official ASP.NET Web Stack RC NuGet packages are now available on NuGet. If you are new to NuGet then it is a Visual Studio extension that makes it easy to add, remove, and update libraries and tools in Visual Studio projects (check out the NuGet overview).

NuGet Packages

1. Microsoft ASP.NET Web API (RC) — this package contains everything you need to host ASP.NET Web API on IIS.
  2. Microsoft ASP.NET Web API Self Host (RC) — this package contains everything you need to host ASP.NET Web API within your own process (outside of IIS).
  3. Microsoft ASP.NET Web API Client Libraries (RC) — this package adds support for formatting and content negotiation to System.Net.Http. It includes support for JSON, XML, and form URL encoded data.
  4. Microsoft ASP.NET MVC 4 (RC) — this package contains the runtime assemblies for ASP.NET MVC.
  5. Microsoft ASP.NET Razor 2 (RC) — this package contains the runtime assemblies for ASP.NET Web Pages.

If you are interested in using the latest nightly builds instead then please check out this description for how to get set up.

NuGet Package Tags

When searching for a package on NuGet it is convenient to use tags for your query. Here are some convenient tags for the ASP.NET Web Stack packages:

1. AspNetWebApi
  2. AspNetMvc
  3. AspNetWebPages
  4. HttpClient

Additional Information

Have fun!

Henrik

del.icio.us Tags: ,,,

1. Amit Patel says:

Good one…

2. Thank you for the rss-feeds and the insight in the web api framework.

But now i have a problem (stackoverflow.com/…/web-api-debug-own-project). I created a web api project and now I want to debug it with the microsoft source code (from git).

(For example: I get an error out of the microsoft assemblies if I send a request to the server with a blank in the url. (e.g. "http://server.com/api/docu ments")

The browsers will replace the blank with %20, but if I use fiddler the server gets an exception andcrashes.

Because of that I want to debug the microsoft sources. How can i do that?

Microsoft says that I cant use the sources while ASP.NET MVC 4 (Beta) is installed. If I uninstall the Beta, I cant open the "asp.net mvc 4"-projects anymore.

How can I debug my projects and the microsoft sources while the asp.net mvc 4 framework is not installed?

I hope you can help me 🙂

3. Henrik Frystyk Nielsen says:

If you compile the source yourself then you can debug through the code as normal — you just can't have tooling support for creating MVC projects (that's what not having MVC 4 installed means).

The RC bits that were just released work better with the nightly builds so that you can run the latest bits with Visual Studio RC being installed. However, debugging is not as simple as it should be for nightly builds. There is a work item [1] to try and improve that by uploading symbols and source for nightly builds so that they are available in Visual Studio.

Henrik

[1] aspnetwebstack.codeplex.com/…/208

4. Peter S. Nielsen says:

Hi Henrik

As far as i can see JsonP is not supported in the RC as well. When will Web API support JsonP out of the box ?

Best Peter

5. Henrik Frystyk Nielsen says:

You can find JsonP support in ASP.NET Web API Contrib — see [1]

Henrik

[1] pedroreys.com/…/webapicontrib

6. ASP.NET 4 RC Installer says:

Hi,

I upgraded from the Beta to RC with this installer: http://www.asp.net/mvc/mvc4

But if I creat a new project i get an error:

_________________

Compilation Error

Description: An error occurred during the compilation of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific error details and modify your source code appropriately.

Compiler Error Message: CS0234: The type or namespace name 'Optimization' does not exist in the namespace 'System.Web' (are you missing an assembly reference?)

Source Error:

Line 31:         <add namespace="System.Web.Optimization" />

_________________

System.Web.Optimization is references in the project.

7. Andrey says:

Hello!

I've been using Web API Beta with custom JSON formatter, but after upgrading to RC my custom formatter does not work. I can see my formatter in the config.Formatters.JsonFormatter property, but WriteToStreamAsync does not executed. Any suggestions what can be wrong? Thanks!

8. Andrey says:

Problem solved by installing "ASP.NET MVC 4 RC for Visual Studio 2010 SP1". Before I just updated Nuget packages.

9. SC says:

I'm a bit confused between the ASP.NET MVC 4 NuGet package and the standalone / web platform installer version.

Previously, I would simply install MVC 3 and ensure my assembly references were set to Copy Local = true so that XCopy deployment to the production environments work.

With MVC 4 if I use just the NuGet package, I loose all the IDE support – obviously an "administrative install" via the full installer on dev machine installer is still required. Where does the NuGet package fit in? What's its purpose?

10. Afshan says:

Hi Henrik,

I have a question about implementing a website which is a portal for a azure database. database has huge biological data. Could I cant you through email or comment here? Thanks.