Today I’d like to go over some information regarding the sign up process as well as the account creation and association process. It seems the introduction of Windows Live ID with the MSDN and TechNet blogs has confused a few too many of you – we are sorry about that, it wasn’t our intention… really 🙂

Why am I being asked to sign up just to read the blogs?

Technically, you aren’t. Anyone can read the blogs without signing up. But in reality, you are. What’s happening is that you are signed into another Windows Live ID enabled web site. The blog platform sees that and then signs you in “silently” or in other words, signs you in without you explicitly asking to. This works really well once you’ve completed the create an account/associate an account process because you can move from site to site and maintain your sign in across many of the Microsoft properties. However if you’ve not completed the sign up process, you’ll be prompted to do that even if you just want to read the blog.

The other situation you may be asked to sign in is if you click a persons name to view their profile. See the “Why Should I Sign In?” section below for more information on that.

So at this point either click Sign out if you don’t want to create the account or complete the sign up and you’ll be set moving forward. We are reviewing this configuration and we may modify this silent sign in if it’s too confusing to our blog readers…

How do I Sign In?

When you click the Sign in link on any page in the blogs you’ll be taken to the Windows Live ID sign in page. You can select any Windows Live ID account you already have or create a new one at that time. The first time you sign in with a Windows Live ID account you’ll be presented with the “Create an Account OR Associate an Account” page.

• If you’ve never created an account with the blogs before, fill in the Create an Account section. It’s just a username, a confirmation of the email address you want any communication to go to and finally a time zone which will then allow the blogs to present date and times accurate to your location.
  • If you’ve had an account previously on the blogs then enter your username and password you used to use in the Associate Account section. This will connect your Windows Live ID account up to your old blogs account and you can then use the WLID from then on.

Why Should I Sign In?

Signing in gives you a bunch of benefits that anonymous readers do not get. Some of these include:

• A customized profile for your account.
    • You can have a custom display name that supports characters beyond the set for a username.
    • You can upload your own personal avatar image that will go alongside any comments you make as well as on your profile.
    • A customized profile including contact details, web sites, facebook, twitter connections etc.
    • You can manage the email address you receive notifications at.
    • Update your time zone settings.
  • You’ll have the ability to follow and friend other members in the blogs.
    • You can then more easily track their activity within their profile or on the home page.
  • Commenting
    • You’ll no longer have to fill in your name every time you post a comment.
    • There are some blogs that do not have anonymous commenting enabled. You’ll need to be a member then to comment anyway.
  • Viewing others profiles
    • If you want to view anyone else’s profile you need to be signed in. There are contact details on profiles and those are limited to people who have agreed to our Terms of Use.
  • Future features…
    • We will integrate into the MSDN and TechNet profile, activity and recognition systems in the future. Without being a member you can’t build your reputation.

Hopefully that gives you a little more insight into the sign in and sign up process. More information on profiles, settings etc. coming soon!

1. GregM says:

What if we had an account, but can't remember our password?  I can't find any password help on that associate form.

2. RonK says:

Same comment as GregM above. Please add a forgot password option for existing accounts.

3. SeanJenkin says:

Re: Password link… coming in the next update soon. In the mean time, you can use the site feedback link on the home page and request your password to be reset. Include your username and we can get that fixed up for you. Thanks!

4. GregM says:

Sean, 2 days now and no love on the password reset from the site feedback link.

5. breben says:

I submitted feedback that I can't post on my blog (blogs.technet.com/breben) and haven't heard anything.  I'm a MS FTE.

6. GregM says:

Sean, I'm all set now.

7. wolfdog456 says:

dont really know what im doin yet, but i'll find out i  guess

8. wolfdog456 says:

dont really know what im doin yet, but i'll find out i  guess

9. margarete says:

glad to be a part of this msdn blog site ,hope to learn much more than i know at this moment

thank, God's blessings on what good we do to help others.

10. margarete says:

thank, God's blessings on what good we do to help others.

11. kiely1888cfc says:

well that is true thanks to  people on here  that help us out  as without  them  i would  be lost …oh even though  i still do at times   thats life  thankyou

12. Sean M says:

The "hey you need to log in now!" feature is evil.  It gets in the way of following links to read a simple damn blog post.  It violates all kinds of UX guidelines.  Scrap it, yesterday.  It obstructs user actions, it's incomprehensible without searching, and it's obnoxious.  Get it the heck off this site, and let people read CONTENT.  Not a login form, CONTENT.

13. Hi. When I sign into my blogs, I cannot view stats or customize the blog. I think that I have associated my .net passport incorrectly, when we moved to the new blogs. How can I fix this?

14. SeanJenkin says:

@SeanM – the only times you are asked to log in are a) when you attempt to view a persons profile or b) when you want to comment on a post that doesn't allow anonymous commenting. If it's occuring at other times we don't know about it so if you can provide more details that'd be useful. You can use the site feedback link on the home page to send us that information.

@Arabind – assuming you are an MS employee, please email mscomhlp internally and they can assist you.

15. sgreene says:

Can we not create our own blog?

16. Emrikol says:

I am locked out of my blog and have no access. I can't sign in or retrieve my password. Thks MS, you're awesome….

17. Samuel Bronson says:

What if we had an account, but can't remember our *username* — adding a new one doesn't work if there is already an account using that email address! (That's how I know I had one 🙂

18. Andrew H says:

Problem: I already have an MSDN Blogs ID that is associated with my Windows Live ID, but I no longer remember the MSDN Blogs password.  I cannot create another Blogs ID with the Windows Live ID because the Blogs signin "knows" there is already a blogs ID tied to the Live ID.

THERE IS NO OPTION TO REQUEST A PASSWORD RESET EMAIL BE SENT TO THE WINDOWS LIVE ID ADDRESS!!!!

This is a frustrating dead end. Can you guys fix it please?

19. nguyentrongsang says:

i can't Post blog

20. john says:

whosoever call on the name of jesus is saved

21. Kiplagat Birgen says:

How can one integrate there blog profile with

social.expression.microsoft.com

social.technet.microsoft.com and

social.microsoft.com?

22. Dinesh Kulkarni says:

Question about new team blog creation:

I already have my blog but I would like to create one for my team. Many team members don't feel they have the time to maintain a blog but do have time to contribute and would like to use a team blog. What are the steps?

Thanks.

Dinesh

23. MichaelKo says:

Contact Person:Michael Ko /Gao Feng / Akimoto Akira / Mike

Mobile Phone Number:0086 13927415801 (24H VIP Services Online)

International Logistics(Import-Export) Business Services Provide  QQ:603959779

E-Mail:ysiueo@yahoo.com.tw (MSN and YIM)、ysiueo@gmail.com (G-Talk)

If you have needs, whether you are in time, no matter where you are, the company provides guests round the clock hotline, please consult: 24H VIP Services Online :0086-13927415801

24. Stefan Bauer says:

How can i get my own blog on msdn ?

Thanx stefan

25. msitjobs says:

hello, i would like to start a blog can you please tell me the appropriate steps to do so thank you.

26. Moustafa Farhat says:

how i can get my own blog ??

27. kbase says:

How to create a blog? I am not able to find any option.

28. MASNSN says:

I have exactly the same question as SAM GREENE said, after signing up step is achieved, how can one start posting articles  as a part of its own MSDN blog and thank you. Please we need further explanations about  the issue

29. MASNSN says:

30. Ben Moebius says:

I agree that this ia really confusing user experience. I hope this is changed to easily allow people to view a blog without signing in.

31. Hi, I have the same question –> How to create a blog? I am not able to find any option.

Thanks in advance!

32. sumit.gupta says:

How to create the blog? Can someone please take care of answering this question?

33. Can't sign-in says:

I am trying to sign into blogs.msdn.com and get the error below.  I am Jeff Wharton and my private email is my Windows Live ID and it's what I use to sign-in to MSDN/Technet Forums.  i don;t want to change my provate email as everything I do is based around it.  How can I sign in to blogs.msdn.com and link it to my EXISTSING Windows Live ID?

Sorry! We can't create your account right now.

Your email address is already in use by another user, Jeff Wharton.

In order to complete account creation you must first change the private email that is set for the user Jeff Wharton. Please sign out and then sign in with the Windows Live ID associated to the Jeff Wharton account. Modify the private email and then reattempt to create this account.

If you do not recognize this user Jeff Wharton, please use the site feedback form to report this problem so that we can assist you in creating your account.

Thanks.

34. SMEBS says:

cheers,sme

<a href="http://www.sme.in/w_pkg_menu.aspx">B@B Directory-product or service categories</a>

35. Shahla Abbas says:

Can I contribute at Microsoft Blog?? How??

36. How can I write blogs on MSDN ?

37. Sudeep says:

The same question, How do I blog here or link my current blogs to this? Please suggest

38. Hi,

i have some information to share and i do not know How can I write blogs on MSDN ?

Would you please help me?

Thanks,

39. SeanJenkin says:

Sorry, blogs can only be created by Microsoft Employees.

40. Mahesh Dahal says:

@Sean Jenkin : I am an Employee of Microsoft Partner and Microsoft Innovation center. Can I blog ?

41. Jim Hogg says:

Hi – I seem to have created two blog accounts, with display name "JimHogg" (no space) and "Jim Hogg" (space).

Both are tied to the same Windows Live ID.  Whenever I sign in, it attaches to the second one.  How can I sign in to the first one, in order to delete that account?

42. How can I contribute a blog? I cannot find any option to post my own blog.

Please suggest…..

43. @Parth – Sorry, only Microsoft employees can post blogs on this platform.

44. Hi,

How do I contribute my writing a useful blog article for MSDN web site.

Thanks

Adnan

45. I have issue with sp_addsubscription for a particular article to add in the existing subscription. When I run the command, I saw on the production server, the blocking is started with session_id that we used to run the script.. What could be the issue?

Thanks,

-Krishna

46. Hi,

I am Rajaniesh Kaushikk and I am an ex Microsoft employee(rkaushik@microsoft.com).. I have created my MSDN blog way back in 2007 and after that never accessed it. Now I forgot the password as well…I want to link my old blog to my new Hotmail live id…Can you please guide me how we can achieve it

Regards

Rajaniesh

47. This blog post (on this page) is aimed at Microsoft employees. If you are not a Microsoft employee (most everyone reading this), see social.technet.microsoft.com/…/19800.how-to-create-and-post-on-an-msdn-blog-or-technet-blog.aspx

All the answers to these questions are there. You have to be an employee (part time or full time). If you are a contractor or vendor, you need an employee to set it up with you (you would author on a blog they own). There are only a few exceptions where non-employees can author. But most blogs represent official products (and only FTE blog on them). See the article for details.

48. Rajaniesh, go through the normal process of Site Feedback to create a ticket to access your old account. Thanks!

49. 轻松玩转office says:

thank, God's blessings on what good we do to help others.

50. Senthamil says:

Can we create blog here?

51. Allen Wei says:

can i write blogs when I sign in?

Skip to main content