Does anyone else think that Mark Hurd could have made more money from suing HP than taking his severance package?

What am I missing here?

1) HP investigates a sexual harassment claim that they found to be without merit.

2) HP looks into Hurd’s record and finds that there were potentially fraudulent expense reports, but they can’t say whether Hurd submitted them or someone did on his behalf.

3) Instead of setting the record straight and firing him, the board freaks out, gives him $12 million and then focuses on the PR fall-out.

Although technically there is no due-process here, it appears to me that he was forced out without a provable reason. Whether he did any of those things is, unfortunately, beside the point. Oh, how I wish that Hurd had opted to hire a lawyer instead of take the payment, and totally call their bluff. And I wish I was a lawyer. I would totally want a piece of that action.

Or…we are about to find out what this is all really about. Because this isn’t sitting right with me. Who’s with me?

(And I am begging the media…begging!…please don’t make me listen to Gloria Allred’s voice again!)

1. John says:

I think he shoulda taken 2 beers and jumped…

2. HeatherLeigh says:

???

Not sure what that means. Jumped ship? And I like beer but I'm pretty sure hew can buy his own.

I may be slow today.

3. Nina says:

This smells like an "opportunity" firing.  The board needed an excuse to get rid of him, and they found it.  The shiftty nature of the firing aside, it doesn't look like the HP employees are too sad about it, so he walks away with millions, and the employees can now dance down the halls again.  A win-win maybe?

4. Kevin Eshbach says:

I thought he was mainly given the boot because he broke the rule of "We don't care what you do in your personal life just don't embarass the company".

5. Derek z says:

HP? HP who? Is that the company with one bad board member or executive after another? Seems that HP (and whoever PR is) is wrought with one scandle after another.

6. HeatherLeigh says:

Nina – maybe. But then why didn't they just fire him? That way, they could have saved the $12m. Shareholder value declines either way, but they would still have more cash on the books.

Kevin – I'm withholding judgement on whether there's anything embarassing here. Is he married? I don't see any mention of a wife.

Derek – PR = public relations. They don't own the scandal they just try to ameliorate it. Is it possible that they just made it worse? I bet that they hate that they can't control the messaging on this. Oh interwebz, you are so unruly and defiant!

7. HeatherLeigh says:

John, I just figured out what you were talking about. For the first time in, like, ever, I feel like I haven't been watching enough TV lately. I just don't know what's going on!

8. John says:

I think you should be proud to not have known…:)