Something about pen and paper

I still like to carry a date book but wish it would sync with Outlook. I like the paper and the pen and the book; the smell of books and the heft (yay, vocab!). I like these things like others like the crack. My attention and amore is starting to grow for things like the phone (they keep getting awesomer), but my love for paper endures.

There’s something incredibly romantic about the written letter; not just the love letter but letters, in general. Something beyond the words is said in the script and the texture of the paper. Oh, I am so weird like that. I would totally smell that paper. But since I am not going to get the chance to sniff important letters, I like to read them and imagine what they smell like.

Click if you have an afternoon to spare. <sigh>

1. Andrew. says:

Although seeing the actual Constitution and Declaration of Independence documents was cool, for me the best part of the National Archives in Washington D.C. was all the other documents of historical significance that they have lining the walls. When I was there they had the actual telegram announcing the attack on Pearl Harbor. The selection changes from time to time so if I worked there I’d be visiting it every time they rotate in a new set.

2. HeatherLeigh says:

And also? Have you smelled parchment paper? It’s awesome! 🙂

Seriously, it is fascinating to see those kinds of documents. I’m a fan of the personal letter but the other docs are cool too.

3. Phil Weber says:

The British Library in London has the original handwritten Beatles lyrics next to the Gutenberg Bible. 🙂

Cheryl (Mrs. Weber) tweets and blogs for a company that sells fancy pens and paper. Apparently there’s a whole subculture of pen-and-paper geeks! Who knew?

4. HeatherLeigh says:

I remember how excited she was about this topic of pens and paper. I totally understand.

5. belmontej says:

You should ask the guys working on the MS Courier to make it smell like a real book, then you are all set! 🙂

6. HeatherLeigh says:

Haha…that would be awesome. Maybe they can ship it with book scratch and sniff decals for the back.

7. Parul says:

So.. i like paper and writing as much as the next gal…but check this out:

8. JT says:

Yes, the written word is becoming lost. There is something different that happens when you put pen to paper. It is something that feels more important than an email somehow. A friend of mine and I still write hand written letters to one another on occassion and I always enjoy sending and receiving them. Thanks for the post.

9. HeatherLeigh says:

I think I may try to do that as well.