Dear Sir/Madam…

How frequently do I get correspondence that starts this way? Too frequently.

I can make allowances for the blog spam; well, for the salutation, but not the spam itself. But when someone writes to me, asking for help with their resume, I start to worry.

I’m thinking about some of my blog topics and although I talk about my home improvement projects and running, I also talk about my Chloe handbag obsession. I’m looking at my blog pic and wondering if I should worry about something. Should I book an appointment at the medi-spa? Spend more time on my eyebrows? Wear trampy lipstick?

Am I not talking enough about silly girl stuff? Ooooh, I love lip gloss. Boys are cute. Math is hard (that one is a joke….don’t even get me started on how much that ticks me off). Mani/pedi, sale, fashion, facial, candle party, shoes, skirts, heels, makeup, Nordstrom, cupcakes, princesses, Twilight, Johnny Depp, nail polish, Oprah, What Not to Wear, Lifetime Television, Botox, Victoria’s Secret, cosmopolitans, makeover shows, jewelry, flowers. Got it? GOT IT?!

I am a girl, dammit!

1. Sai says:

I thought you were a woman…!  Can you share that secret of growing younger ;).  Jokes aside, but I’m shocked to know that there are people who post here addressing ‘Sir’.

2. Jean-Bernard Dahmoune says:

I don’t see Neiman Marcus on your list? 😉

3. --Lisa says:

I agree! I find it totally irritating to receive mail addressed to Dear Mr. <last name>.  ARGH.

4. JT says:

Great post.  I truly dont think people pay attention when they send things over. You would think if they wanted a proper response that they would take the time to get it right. I think the same care should be taken when sending invites on Linkedin. The request should be personalized, not the cookie cutter default wording.

5. HeatherLeigh says:

Sai – I just delete them. They just simply do not appreciate the work it takes to be a female these days.

Jean-Bernard – must confess that I haven’t been to Neimans since I left Chicago! They did just open that one at Bravern so I fear a shopping trip is in order. As soon as my credit card stops smoking.

Lisa – sometimes I think it’s a language barrier, but not when my picture is right there!

JT – the LinkedIn request that drives me a little nuts is when they have run out of invitations so they are asking me to invite them to connect. Now that is some high quality networking!

6. Wine-Oh says:

I think this happens more (I know I am guilty of doing it), when the gender of the person’s email address isnt that obvious in a job posting. (ie asmith@xyzcompany.com vs joe.schmo@xyzcompany.com) and Dear Sir/Madam is better than To Whom It May Concern.

7. KD says:

Don’t worry.  That person is obviously:

A) not paying attention

B) extremely lazy

C) retarded

D) all of the above

8. HeatherLeigh says:

Probably B.

But if I start sprouting chin hairs or let my eyebrows grow together, you guys will tell me, right?  OMG…like I’d ever let that happen!

9. Parul says:

Too funny… though i have been addressed as Paul enough times now that i don’t bat an eyelid anymore…and in case you couldn’t tell from the name – i’m a girl too!

10. HeatherLeigh says:

Yep, I could tell. I get "Heath" every once in a while too.

11. Wine-Oh says:

But what if you are a Chris, Pat, or Bobby? Where the gender is hard to figure out? LOL. It reminds me of the SNL skits with Pat!

12. HeatherLeigh says:

And Pat’s friend, Robin. Seriously, if someone can’t look at my picture and tell that I’m a chick, it isn’t because I’m manly. I am many things but manly ain’t one of them 🙂