Homebound: an exercise in creativity

Weather casters (???) here predicted howling winds and power outages here last night. We didn’t get the power outages but we did get the wind and swirling snow and a nice crunchy coat of ice on top of it all. I’m relieved to have electricity today (and/or a little ticked that the news people like to toy with us like that).  I just turned my TV off. They predicted this weather through the end of the year (even worse, with temps melting snow in the day and then re-freezing at night). I’m just keeping in mind that they are regularly wrong. Routinely. Habitually.

Anyhoo, this is my chance to get done those things I have been putting off. The stacks of books unread, the personal blog that is still waiting to be built, the unopened yoga DVD. The hazardous conditions involved in actually getting to the Home Depot keep me from really doing any “projects” as does the fact that my house cleaners pretty much cleaned the place from top to bottom. I can’t even invent any projects. Forced relaxation. Let’s see how that goes.  It feels weird to have all this time without some BS projects to fill it. Well, I still have to work tomorrow, but after that, I am oof. With nothing that “has” to get done and very little that I “should” get done. What is this strange sensation?

So I am going to embark on my skin rituals because really, nobody is going to see me. And I am going to make Cait’s Thai Curry Chicken recipe (thanks Cait!). And I am going to read my butt off. Don’t think someone can read their butt off? Just watch me. I am going to figure out how to use my camera. I’m going to write blog posts about something other than what is going through my mind this very second. I’m going to finish the scarf for the 8 year old and maybe start another. Because auntie Heather said she would finish the scarf for Christmas and Auntie Heather is going to finish that sad little scarf for Christmas.

And if I am still stuck here, I am going to pop that bottle of Veuve on my birthday, Friday (officially celebrating it in January), because this is a big one, kids. And if I don’t deserve to be snowbound, I at least deserve to be drunk. Drunky drunk. Log off of the computer and unplug the phone drunk. And my skin will look great.

1. JamesB says:

I’ll assume your up around the Redmond area as you and 90% of your other Redmond bloggers have had little else to say other than comments on the weather. It’s always funny to me to hear/read so many comments on a little weather change when it happens to folks that are not use to it.

From somebody that that has lived from sunny Florida to middle of nowhere WV weather has been something I pretty much ignore. Mowing the yard in 100 degrees with 100% humidity or teaching skiers in -20 and blizzard conditions it’s all the same in the end, just deal with it. A little change makes the day fun.

2. HeatherLeigh says:

Dude, you have no idea what is going on with this "little weather change". I guarantee that every snowy place you lived had snow plows. It’s not a matter of dealing with it, it’s a matter of being "snowed in".  Anyone who would be ignoring the weather here right now is a stone cold idiot.

There’s a layer of ice on top of unplowed hilly streets. This isn’t an "oh, I am cold and I don’t like that" thing. One of my coworkers is using gin in her Cheerios (haha, just kidding).

But seriously, if it truly bothers you that all the Redmond area bloggers are talking about this, I’d recommend looking at some other blogs for the next week or so because this weather is going to continue without any sign of a snow plow for most of us (7 days and no plow on my street).

Note to self: buy a snow shovel when they are re-stocked. It will give you something to do.

3. Doug says:

I too find the local forecasts to be heavy on the hyperbole.  I recently found out that Cliff Mass, an atmospheric scientist at the UW, has a blog at cliffmass.blogspot.com.

The weather is really reminding me of the time I spent in Wisconsin, except of course the lack of plows out and about.

4. HeatherLeigh says:

Yeah totally. Totally reasonable weather for most places if it weren’t for our lack of plows.

I’m still optimistic that we could have some significant melting this week (which could at least allow us to get out and about during the days).

I’ll check out Cliff’s blog. Thanks for the tip!

5. JamesB says:

Hate to tell you but you don’t know snowed in. How about 3 feet with 12+ foot drifts. Tunnels dug to clear doors and so much snow the ski resort closed for two days while they cleared the snow from lifts and towers.

My point was it’s weather, so what. Grab a drink, turn on a good movie and have some quiet time. Just think what it was like before broadband 😉

BTW I spend every other Christmas in the Carson, WA area and we drive up to Hood as well as into Portland and even to the coast no matter the weather so yes I do know what it gets like out there including areas that are not use to that much snow. Heck around here if we get 2 inches snow they call school for two days while every other yuppie in their 2 wheel drive SUV thinks they own a 4 wheel drive and know what they are doing.

6. Keith Patrick says:

Times like these where I’m glad to be in Houston. It snowed a week or two (hardest I’ve seen it snow here), but I was still able to go outside barefoot in shorts, although the dog wanted no part of the outdoors.

But trust me, you wouldn’t want to trade places with a Houstonite between hurricanes (screaming heat/humidity with not a drop of rain to cool things down). But I do love the rainstorms when we get them. Gulf coast rain is H-E-A-V-Y, just like I like it.

7. HeatherLeigh says:

James – you aren’t paying attention. There’s no snow clearing happening here and ice and snow are 2 different things. You can open your door, you just can’t get on the road to go anywhere. And I don’t care how many times you have been to Washington state, you haven’t experienced this. The people who live here haven’t experienced this. That is the point.

Keith – barefoot in the snow? Crazy! And I agree about the hurricanes. We all have our weather stuff we have to deal with. I moved from Chicago to get away from the snow! Let’s hope the country buys some new snow plowing equipment this year!

8. Todd Klimek says:

Hi Heather!

We’ve just got some of the cold weather you remember when you were here in Chicago….yesterday was -4 and -30 with the windchill.  It has warmed up today (3 and -14 with windchill).  😉  We also now have about 7 inches of snow or so…..not a ton, but enough to make it interesting.

LOL!  I (quite stubbornly) tried to roast coffee beans on my patio yesterday….I could not get them up to temp and had to resort roasting them in our shared garage (condo)….bad idea as I really stunk up the joint.  Ooops….live and learn.

At least over here we are not experiencing the same issues like you are.  As you are well aware, Chicago is more than ready for winter weather – 1 gazillion pounds of salt (and they ain’t afraid to use it!), plows, etc.  We live in the city here and mostly walk to things anyway.

Well…..Happy Birthday to ya!  Which special one is it?  My #45 is coming up on the 30th.  Yippee!!  (I don’t mind; I’m very immature for my age…. LOL!!)

Holiday Cheers…..

Todd in Chicago

9. CJ says:

I grew up in the Rockies and lived in the Boston area for many years – I’ve never seen worse road conditions that I’ve seen here in Seattle after a snow. That’s what makes it hard to drive here, not just a lack of ability. Just came back from a 2hr round trip white knuckle drive to Seattle and back to the East side this morning – Do we even use salt or de-icer here?

10. HeatherLeigh says:

Todd Klimek – I was on the phone with a friend in Chicago and she was telling me how bad it was! I remember that in that weather, there was always the question of whether the car would start. And how you kind of had tobrace yourself to go outside, or at least talk your self into it.

As for the bday, thanks! Not quite 45 but I’mm closing the gap!

CJ – I actually saw the de-icing going on after the Saturday snow weekend before last. They kind of painted on the road. And I hear that there’s salt mixed in with that sand stuff they use on the road. But I know how salt works and I’m just not believing it.  And I think that the de-icing stuff only works on pavement, not packed snow and ice. "Unprepared" is the best thing I can say about the Seattle area right now. I have to include myself, without a snow shovel. I won’t make that mistake again.

Just think how excited we will all be when this melts. Will there be dancing in the streets? 🙂

11. JamesB says:

Hey even your Fargo Softies are poking fun at you:

I have family in Carson, WA. They have 3 feet so far and the roads are closed going into Portland. Again they have food, water and TV. Nice time to just veg…

12. Frank says:

Congratulations from Portugal!

You have a fantastic blog !

13. HeatherLeigh says:

Thanks Frank!

14. Todd Klimek says:

Happy Birthday Heather!

Holiday cheers….

Todd in Chicago

P.S.  Now we have massive snow melt and the Chicago river is within 3 feet of overflowing downtown….(right out our back door….well….about 25 feet away)…. <sigh>

15. HeatherLeigh says:

Yeah, I heard things warmed up considerable there. We are melting here with things in the 40s. So not quite as dramatic.

I used to live in River West so I remember all the talk about the river overflowing but didn’t live close enough for it to impact me.

Very strange weather all around!

Thanks for the birthday wishes!