I’m predicting surgery (and I welcome it)

I’m super sick of going to the doctor. My sinus issues are going on week 6, I think? Done the antibiotics, multiple boxes of Tylenol Sinus, cough syrup, Nasonex. I think they call this chronic sinusitis (that’s my best guess). I looked on Web MD and I am guessing that it’s not Tuberculosis. I bet people go on Web MD and really freak themselves out. I assume that I don’t have anything to worry about until I do. And since I have flushed out my sinuses repeatedly with my neti pot (don’t worry, I won’t share details) and they are still painful, I’m thinking that some of them are swollen shut. Or something. I can hear them pop from time to time. Fun! One doctor has looked up there and “didn’t see anything”. My issue is stealth. And it’s not stay-at-home sick. It’s just a cough that persists and sinus pain that never goes away. You know, the kind that makes me no fun to hang around.  And I woke up with a painful gland in my neck today (my reaction: are you freaking kidding me?). I’m just really hoping that today is the day we figure out what is going on. Because I am annoyed. And I am using the hell out of my benefits (which I am so thankful for right about now….no co-pay!).

I’ll let you guys know if we find out what it is or if we can just generally expect my head to fall off. Just in time for Halloween!

1. Programmerman says:

I’m sorry you’re continuing to feel bad.  But at least you don’t have the consumption.

2. HeatherLeigh says:

Yeah, it sounded great when I read Angela’s Ashes.

3. wisemx says:

Find a very good natural Honey in your area.

Start eating at least 2 table spoons each morning.

After the first week I’m willing to gamble you will see improvements.

Try to make sure the Honey is farmed in your area.

4. egcarter says:

Heather, try turmeric.  No, not the form it comes in at the supermarket spice aisle.  You need 95% Curcumin standardized herb extract.   It comes in capsules with the yellow powder inside.   I have 500mg doses (take 1 to 4 with a meal daily).  Works wonders for all sorts of ailments.

Oregano oil is also great for sinuses!  Burns, though…

5. HeatherLeigh says:

wisemx and egcarter – I love the recommendations. So when I called my doctors office to make an appt, they told me that the supposed antibiotic that I got from urgent care was really an anti-infection medication, or something like that. So far the consensus is that this is viral.

wisemx – I have heard that about allergies. I have found local honey but have to admit that I haven’t used it. Perhaps I’ll start using that in my tea instead of splenda.

egCarter – I’ll look for those at whole foods. Do you literally put the oregano oil in your nose? And will I be smelling pizza all day? 🙂

6. Wine-Oh says:

Ugh something is definitely going around. On this coast, I am the lucky recipient of a double ear infection. 🙁 Decided to go to urgent care on my way to work this morning. I could hear out of 1 ear. Dr. gave me antibiotics, and hopefully will feel normal again. Been a long week.

Hope you are better soon.

7. HeatherLeigh says:

Argh…I heard ugly words today: "run it’s course"

8. Kizzer says:

Would you rather have gene therapy!

9. Programmerman says:

"Run its course" is much easier to accept in a sprint than in a marathon, sorry. One of these days, you’ll feel better.

10. Larry says:

At the risk of sounding new agey – I’m a long time sinus sufferer – netti pots, vitamins, surgery consults (surgery is bad), reading. Finally – looking back – two things changed my sinus health:

1. Changed my diet – no dairy – fruits/veggies/chicken/rices.

2. I got out of my head (here’s the new agey part). As a fellow home office employee, we have a tendancy to live in our head all day. We ruminate, turning things over in our minds – like – I hope this cold isn’t another sinus infection. I have become a big believe in simply letting the worry and awareness of such maladies – go. I know – easy enough said. But I decided to focus my energies elsewhere and relegate sinus sickness to a minor role in my life. And I’ll be damned. It worked.

11. some1'saunt says:

"Run it’s course" is not an acceptable prognosis!  Try the honey….. I have heard good things about that and yes you need to buy the honey in your area!  Did your mom or dad have these issues….I don’t remember!  For someone with  "such a perfect little nose" it seems to give you so much trouble !

12. HeatherLeigh says:

Kizzer – it never came up as a treatment option.

Programmerman – yep, I’m hoping it’s soon.

Larry – Hmmm…something to think about (or not).

Auntie – yeah. I’ll try the honey. I think that will help with some of my usual issues. Given that this was viral (ew!), I’m assuming it was someone on the plane that gave it to me. I didn’t develop allergies until I was in my twenties. Don’t think either parent had it as bad as me. I need to do more preparation for allergy season. Cannot remember the last time I had something viral. The swollen glands are weird!

13. Miguel says:

I second Larry’s 1st comment on allergies. I’ve heard a lot about people cutting dairy out (especially milk) and it has gone a long way to clearing sinus issues.

Are you still dating that guy w/cats? Thought you ditched those feline fellas a while ago…so it might not be cats. 🙂

14. Bihter says:

Hi Heather,

Just wanted to say that I’ve started reading your blog. I’m wondering if you have heard about the book, "What Men Don’t Tell Women About Business". I heard the guy (Chris Flett) on the Today Show and thought you probably have already heard of him. I’m wondering what your thoughts were. He seems to be really taking on the ‘Old Boys Club". I just emailed him, but haven’t heard back.

Anyway, keep up the great writing.

15. HeatherLeigh says:

Miguel – Well, it’s not allergies right now, but I will definitely keep that in mind. And absolutely no cats in my life right now.

Bihter – I haven’t heard of him. I have the Today Show on right now so maybe I will catch him. I will keep it on until the 4th hour starts because I CANNOT STAND kathie Lee! 🙂

16. Chris Reaves says:

When I first moved to Tulsa I had similar symptoms that you had, I think I had a sinus infection and continuous sinus headache for about 6 months straight. I kept going to family doctors and they would give me antibiotics and the same medicine you had tried. After 6 months and one pricey Spiral CT scan of my sinuses and nothing blocking them, I finally got on a PPO and went straight to an Allergist without a ref feral. They did their allergy testing on me and found that I was about allergic to everything in Eastern Oklahoma. I started on allergy shots and after about 2 months I started noticing a difference. I did allergy shots for about 2 years and never had any sinus problems or anything. I have been off allergy shots for a year now because I am so busy I don’t have time and I still don’t have problems. If I were you I would seek out an Allergist before going through all the surgeries

17. egcarter says:

No!  Don’t put the oregano oil in your nose…probably kill ya!

5-6 drops in a shot glass of water.  Then down it.   Maybe with a glass of water as a chaser.  The stuff is really potent.

18. HeatherLeigh says:

Chris Reaves – yeah, I did allergy shots when I lived in Calfornia (for about 2 years). After that, my test showed that I wasn’t allergic to much. The conclusion after that was that any additional so-called "allergy problems" were non-allergic rhinitis; meaning they are caused by the same stuff, but you aren’t reacting because they are allergens, you are reacting because they are crap in your sinuses. I know the conversation makes it look like my problems are allergies, but I swear, this was a virus. I have never had swollen glands with allergies.  I probably caught something on the plane. I do remember a couple times in the last month + where someone coughed or sneezed very near me and I tried to hold my breath. Sorry to be such a whiner. I just don’t usually get sick like this. I am a super-healthy person normally.

egcarter – I just made the connection between who you are here and who you are in real-life. Duh, takes me a while. I’m glad you told me that bc I don’t want my death certificate to read "cause of death: oregano"

19. HeatherLeigh says:

Crap. egcarter probably thikn I am nuts. I am getting my people mixed up. Ignore me please.

20. Bihter says:

Hi Heather,

I’ve been doing some additional research on the author, Chris Flett,  that I talked about on my last comment. His company is "GhostCEO" (www.GhostCEO.com) and his book is a bestseller. I found it on Amazon here. Anyway, he was in the NY Times last Sunday under the "Career Couch" and he makes reference to women’s blogs like yours so I thought you might like to connect. I’d like to see you interview him and see what he’s all about. I saw on another blog he was a guest blogger. His email is: chris@ghostceo.com

Best wishes,