To celebrate Halloween, I’m bleeding

I didn’t think about the timing when I set the appointment, but today when I give blood, I am going to officially think of it as a Halloween celebration. So it’s strategic bleeding.

As much as I love Halloween, I don’t do much. I have never been the type of person to wear costumes and I’m kind of over the Halloween party where everyone gets drunk. Since I moved into my house, I’ve just sat on the couch and waited for the trick or treaters to ring my doorbell. I couldn’t even muster the energy for Halloween decorations this year. I know, I am bad. So you can see why I’m trying to make the blood donation have to do with Halloween.

I think I have mentioned before that I give every 2 months or so. A couple donations back, I got my gallon pin (whee!); don’t try to think about a gallon of blood. It might make you hurl. I first started to think about giving blood when I kept seeing the “Bloodmobile” parked around campus regularly. I’d walk by and think “I wonder how bad it is to do that” and then figured that a little needle prick isn’t really a good enough excuse for me not to do it. The first time I did it, I was a walk-in. And I’ve been hooked (or poked) every since. We all have ways we like to give back and this is my “thing”. I know it’s not everyone’s thing.

Anyway, if you are in the Puget sound region and are interested in celebrating Halloween by bleeding (come on, it’s fun!), here’s the web site. And it’s super-easy to set an appointment.

1. wisemx says:

You go girl. 😉

I’d join ya but just checked via Live maps…

From here (37604) to there: 2735.5 miles, 40 hr 10 min.

2. HeatherLeigh says:

Oh, poo. They won’t let me donate bc I am on the tail end of the antibiotics from the sinus infection. I’ll have to reschedule for next week.

And I thought I was being so witty. Darn

3. Mike Clark says:

I used to do the bimonthly donation thing, years ago, and recently decided to get back into the habit.  I went and found out they were not accepting donations from people who had resided in certain Western European countries during the height of the mad cow disease scare back in the 80’s.  So I cannot donate blood!  What’s up with that?  Do I look like a mad cow?  I think it’s had enough time to incubate by now.  Oh, well.

4. HeatherLeigh says:

Hey Mike,

When I talked to the gal today, she said they were changing some of their screening questions/criteria. I bet you can donate again. And if you do look like a mad cow (which I seriously doubt), they should be able to tell when you get there. I’m pretty sure that if you haven’t had an outbreak, you aren’t going to. Moo.

5. Rod says:

Heather a lot of women bleed. Why does this make you so special?

6. HeatherLeigh says:

Rod – because people like you take the time to not only read about it but to leave nasty comments.