So, hypothetically speaking…

what happens when the car you rented for work somewhat violently meets road debris (and by violently, I’m saying that I was probably about 2 feet from death but I am trying not to think about that). And the grill of the car is kind of dragging and there’s a big dent in the drivers door? I’m just asking hypothetically, because that definitely did not happen to me. But I did get an answer to the question “what would happen if the car in front of you drove over a truck tire tread in the road and popped it up and it hits the front of your car and goes under?” And then you think “crap, if that flew up a little higher it would have come though the windshield and messed up my hair”.

Anyway, I have to figure out how to get this covered through our rental insurance at work. I mean “allegedly”.

And mom, stop freaking out.

1. Greg Lucas says:

Sounds like your trip has been interesting…..Hypothetically speaking if it did happen at least you are safe 🙂 The car could be repaired…hypothetically……did you see my sundevils roll over and die against georgia?

2. Bad_Brad says:

In many cases, credit card issuers offer rental insurance.  So if you used a corporate credit card (like a corporate AmEx) to rent the car, I would advise contacting AmEx and seeing what they offer in the way of rental insurance.

3. Bill Booth says:

Glad you are OK. If its never happened to you it is amazing how much damage a tire tread can cause.

4. HeatherLeigh says:

Grg – true. And I only saw a little of hte game (meaning I checked in on the csore betwixt glasses of wine). I had hopes of the Sun Devils winning.

Bad_Brad – I gavethem my personal card when I picked it up bc part of hte trip is personal. But I should be covered bc I booked through work.

Bill Booth – I know, I was shocked. And it scared the crap out of me!

5. HeatherLeigh says:

OK, Avis is coming to swap out the car. Still…scary.

6. Wine-Oh says:

Your covered by your credit card policy and under your personal auto insurance for any car you drive. So no matter what you should be fine.

7. I agree, it seems like when you have an accident or near accident in a car, it stays in your head for a while.

8. frances says:

Wow, glad you are ok and that they sorted it out. That is scary!

Francesco Esposito

9. DanF says:

I’m sitting a few thousand miles away from home in a hotel; I’m glad I didn’t hypothetically get my rental jacked up (yet, I’ve still got a week to go). Glad you’re ok Heather 🙂

So did Avis give you a decent car? Hertz gave me a Kia. Incidentally, why would a company call a car KIA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killed_in_action)?

Take care!

10. HeatherLeigh says:

Yeah guys, I am OK. DanF – I first got a Hyundai Elantra and now some kind of Toyota. As long as a cars don’t smell, I rarely complain.

11. Bad_Brad says:

This reminds me of Jeff Foxworthy’s joke about rental cars …

"When they ask me if I want rental insurance, I say, ‘Darn right, I want rental insurance.  ‘Cause you got a Ford Fiesta that’s about to catch more air than a skateboard at the X-Games’ " …

12. HeatherLeigh says:

Oh man, I was catching rubber. The replacement car I got was a mini-van. It was so hard for me to get into that car like there was a force-field around it. My body rejects mini-vans 🙂

13. RB says:

Greg Lucas, nobody’s going to give you a job no matter how often you bother them on their blog. You’d be better off eating bugs

14. HeatherLeigh says:

RB needs a nap.

15. Parul says:

I’m way behind on my blogs so just saw this one, glad you’re ok Heather…from the description it sounds scary…

I had to laugh at " My body rejects mini-vans :)"

16. RB, thank you for the advise, I guess thats one of the things they did not teach me in Business School…..stupid MBA! Heather sorry for bothering you 🙂 What happened to the Trojans? They always seem to fold one game a year, I believe it was Stanford last year? I always hope USC will go to national championship and free up the Rose Bowl for ASU. Once again, sorry for bothering you. 🙂

17. RB says:

Everyone and their grandmother has an MBA.

18. HeatherLeigh says:

I don’t have an MBA.

19. Greg Lucas says:

I believe we have definitely seen an increase in MBA’s in relation to schools such as University of Phoenix, Ottawa…etc.  I believe there has been lots of discussion about that on the Microsoft Jobs Blog. I believe that where you went to school definitely matters. I looked into rankings and ratings before picking the right MBA program.