Weekend clumsiness

There was a little home improvement this weekend. I replaced that last of the ugly doorknobs. The French doors took longer than I though so finishing the final doorknob Saturday cut into my football watching (big game!). So I grabbed my Chardonnay and worked on the doorknob during commercial breaks. Yeah, Chardonnay and home improvement don’t mix that well.

Now don’t worry, I didn’t miss any of the game (which I recorded just in case), but at some point during my first glass of wine, I impaled my foot. I dropped a rechargeable screwdriver, point down, onto my foot. You’d be surprised how sharp a phillips head bit can be. Also, I may have taught my neighbors kids a few new words. It hit me at the base of my 2nd and 3rd toes. Not much bleeding but you could see the tissue underneath the skin (look like chicken). It was a deep puncture. There was nothing I was going to be able to do about it Saturday night except drink more wine (works like a charm). And I walked on it Sunday. I’m one of those people that really has to need that medical care to seek it. I should have gone in then.

Instead I waited until today, called my doctors office to check when my last tetanus shot was and then headed off to urgent care (can we just talk about what an oxymoron that is? It should be called “same day care”). I was there for 2 hours and spent about 7 minutes with the doctor laughing about what a clumsy dope I am. Evidently, you can’t get stitches if you wait too long, but you can get a tetanus shot any old time.

So maybe the lesson here is no wine while handling tools. Or maybe the lesson is wine lessens the pain of tool-related injuries.

Or maybe I was having sympathy pains for Beanie Wells (OK, just kidding, I can’t have sympathy pains for Ohio State).

1. Greg Lucas says:

I assume you are talking about the USC game….while I was watching the Sun Devils looose to UNLV!! As if thats not bad enough I have to watch USC destroy another team on primetime tv.

2. HeatherLeigh says:

Yep. Other than my Trojans, the Pac Ten looks pretty bad this year. Though I still hope that ASU beats Georgia.

3. Greg Lucas says:

Agreed, the Mt West took it to the pac 10 on Saturday, did not look good for the pac 10.

4. Bad_Brad says:

You know, I remember reading an article somewhere which talked about shows like "Trading Spaces" creating this new phenomenon called "home improvement parties", whereby a couple (usually) will invite several other couples over in the evening, serve drinks, and then proceed to knock down walls, drive nails, use power tools, etc.  Basically a bunch of things that: a) shouldn’t really be done by amateurs in a laid-back setting like a party, and b) shouldn’t really be mixed with alcohol.  Emergency room visits and really bad remodelling jobs have ensued.

Your blog entry made me think of that.  :)

5. Michael Favro says:

I think there are two lessons here.  (a)  Always wear the proper protective footwear.  Sounds like this wasn’t your issue, since you were likely wearing the correct shoes for drinking Chardonnay.  Steel-toed boots go better with beer.  (b)  Don’t schedule home improvement projects during football season.  Always my policy and so far no foot impalements!

6. HeatherLeigh says:

Bad_Brad – yeah, that’s like "painting parties". I make sure that all my friends that have bought new houses know my thinking when it comes to that: don’t invite me to your paining party and I won’t invite you to mine. And how is it a "party" when there’s work invovled? Is it the cheap pizza? No thanks.

Greg – you guys are hard-core. Adorable girls. Prepare yourself for the day when they come home and tell you they want to be Trojans. Look on the bright side, you won’t have to repaint (I kid).

Michael – lessons I learned the hard way. You are right that I had the appropriate Chardonnay drinking footwear on. Navy blue preppy flip flops with little red lobsters on the straps (everything’s better with fashion). Well, now also a little blood. And yeah, the whole thing about doing work during the commercials was stupid. I was trying to work off that nervous energy.

7. some1'saunt says:

Are you copying me?   I scratched my back on a rusty piece of lawn furntiure this week and had to get a tetanus shot because I couldn’t remember the last time I had one.  Weird thing about the area in which the shot was given… feels like a muscle that’s been overworked at the gym.

8. HeatherLeigh says:

auntie – I know what furniture it was and I am guessing you had a glass of wine in your hand too;) I’m feeling the muscle pain too. They warned me. Ouch.

9. new2bj says:

>giggle< ……yeah 99/100 you would be right but this time I was spray painting a metal bench  that I found in a garage sale and I had crawled underneath it to paint the under belly and as I was crawling out….scrape!!!!! right down my back on the rusty leg of the bench!  After googling the symptoms of tetanus I made my way (ran) to the nearest Urgent Care office!  I did have a glass of wine a bit later to help with the pain…..

10. HeatherLeigh says:

RB – OK, totally unrelated (PS folks, don’t look at the comments if colorful language offends you). People should not be surprised that this happens (gee, I have some relatives that have done this). I don’t get hunting for sport bc I don’t understand the pleasure derived from killing animals. But as long as it’s "humane" and you eat what you kill, I won’t object to people doing it. I just don’t want to hang out with them.

So even though it’s shocking, you have to lauch at some of the one-liners.

new2bj (are you changing your alias on here?) – I’ve been to that urgent care. My process was similar but I knew I needed the shot, just looked up whether I needed stitches too (answer was yes, but I waited too long). My foot is healing well. Almost ready to head back to yoga.

11. new2bj says:

some1’saunt "aka"  new2bj "aka" new to blackjack  ( I have used this one before)

you don’t have to post this……

12. HeatherLeigh says:

Ahhh, got it and slightly relieved that bj stands for blackjack! I was worried I had to edit your alias!

13. RB says:

so you dig eating rats? not to judge you…

14. mrscrooge says:

Sorry to hear about the injury, hope you’re feeling good enough to make it to the company meeting!

15. HeatherLeigh says:

Yeah, that’s it RB. Thanks for being so insightful. Almost charming even. I think I made my opinion pretty clear.

mrscrooge – won’t be able to make it today. I’ve got travel stuff going on but I’ll check out the keynotes online. The sun is supposed to come out later, I believe.