Was at a meeting in the city today and pleated pants were all over the place. I am dismayed. Mother of pearl, those is some ugly pants. Please tell all of your friends that they are not allowed to wear pleated pants (man or woman, no matter). The lack of fashion acuity is seriously distracting.

Let me put it this way:

1) If you are carrying a few extra pounds, you aren’t kidding anyone with the pleats. They enhance the poundage. It looks like you have a diaper on in the front. And the straining pleats? The pleats are not supposed to open up! Even when pleasts were in style, they weren’t suposed to do that. Stop it right now!

2) If you are thin and you are trying to look bulkier, you’re not kidding anyone with the pleats. They look balloony. It looks like you have a diaper on in the front. Embrace your thinness, wear some kick ass flat-front trousers and then eat a big meal in front of us. We will all be very jealous.

What kind of campaign do I have to create? I’m making a facebook group. Please take your old pleated pants, pile them in your yard, pull out a bag of marshamallows and set them on fire. The pants that is.

I know…I’m so shallow when it comes to the fashion stuff but I am just trying to help my fellow man. If I were committing a fashion felony, I would definitely want someone to tell me!

Just say no. Please and thank you.

1. oi says:

ha. and all baggy pants. they got old in the late 70’s. although i’m not a fascist about it – if you like wearing pj’s, then wear them.

2. tzagotta says:

Hey, I like pleated pants. Here’s an idea – let’s all wear what we want to wear, instead of all wearing the same thing!

3. HeatherLeigh says:

I’m not sure what the fascist stand is on baggy pants. They seemed to like jodhpurs (I’m not sure if that is how it’s spelled….too tired to look it up). But I agree with you. No baggy. Straight leg, flat front. Slight boot cut is OK too but us curvy gals have to watch out for that. I am all about dark wash, straight leg. I admit that I am a bit of a jeans snob. Ahh, those square pockets that sit high on the butt. They abound! They hurt my eyes.

4. HeatherLeigh says:

tzagotta – hey, let me think about that for a second. No.

5. Yes, pleated pants can be really bad if you don’t fit into them. They must have been in style at some point though because my Mom thinks they are the way to go for men’s dress pants. . .

6. Wine-Oh says:

Call me a child of the 80s but I look better in pleats for my body style. I have some non pleated pants that look good (ie jeans and suits), but most of my khaki type pants have pleats.

7. HeatherLeigh says:

Michael H – that is such a mom thing. Cute.

wine-oh, I personally don’t think anyone looks good in pleats but that’s just me. Perhaps you haven’t found the right flat front khakis yet? They are out there!

8. Parul says:

Amen to no pleats, the other day I seven saw someone with flip-flops under the pleated trousers (shudder!)

9. HeatherLeigh says:

oh no. if they had really hairy feet, it would top off the look

10. JobsBlog says:

So totally agree with you.

Check it out.  A Facebook group already exists! "Just say no to pleated pants."  Ha!

11. HeatherLeigh says:

Oh goodie, I’ll have to join that one! Thanks Gretchen!

12. JP says:

Yeah, and I really miss the way the pleated pant front used to blow up into a balloon in my lap whenever I sat down – NOT!  🙂

13. Derek Bigelow says:

When I used to work at GAP, we used to try to hide the pleated khakis in the back because they’re so hideous.  The sad part is, people would still ask about them (and overalls !?!) all the time.  Ugh.

14. HeatherLeigh says:

JP – haha…like your own pesonal flotation device

Derek – that is scary. You ‘d think that after you have to dig a dusty pair out of the back, they’d get a hint. "Let me look in our inventory from 1983"

In all fairness, I will say that these meetings I had were at the HQ for a bank. I supposed the pleats blend in better there; conservative environment and all.

15. Amy Albright says:

OK Now I have to think back to that meeting, because I was right there with you.  Have to agree about the pleats- you crack me up!  Hopefully I wasn’t the square pocket jeans chick:)

16. HeatherLeigh says:

Hey Amy,

I wasn’t thinking of anyone in particular. I just happened to notice the ubiquity of the pleated khaki (I could have stood in the lobby and counted….one, two, three, eleventy-thousand) while I was there. Definitely not trying to pick on anyone, I swear! 🙂 Some of my favorite people (unfortunately) are fans of the pleats.