The search for signs of good falafel in Seattle

I’ve been a little scattered lately but I am starting to feel better. Sleep’s been a little better (now I don’t have my mid-sleep wake-up session until about 5 AM….almost the time when sane people awaken for the day). Currently, at work, I’m figuring out how to use OneNote to do pretty much everything I need to do. The more I use it, the more I like it. Plus, it saves my budget because I am using a Microsoft product. And it satisfies my 2 major needs: a clean/simple UI and searchability. Anyway, that isn’t what I was planning on talking about. I planned on doing a bit of a brain dump on what’s been going on here lately.

Nordstrom Anniversary Sale. Holy cow. It is amazing what you can talk yourself into buying when you get “double points.” My handbag obsession continues. This time: Valentino. It’s yummy but won’t make its wardrobe debut until closer to fall. And my friend Suzanne even made me feel good about my purchase. Girls shopping day. Shop-rationalize-shop-lunch-buyers remorse-acceptance. That’s how we roll.

Did I tell you about Miyeko’s book club? My friend’s awesome 7 year old learned how to read this year and since reading is such a big part of my life, I decided to recommend a kids book club. So far the only kid is Miyeko but hopefully some of her friends will join in. We read The Nancy Drew Notebooks: The Slumber Party Secret (whee!). And on Saturday afternoon, we went to tea to discuss it. I realized that you really have to come prepared with a list of questions because seven year olds are good at answering, but not so much at keeping the conversation going. I also realized that the British enjoy carbo loading in the afternoon. Good gawd. We BQed afterward. Pretty sure I am done eating for the week.

Speaking of which, I started a running program (again). Remember about 2 years ago when I did that 5K running program (for non-runners)? Well, I am doing a similar program. I found that when I was running lately, I was pushing too hard based on the memory of what I used to be able to do and that was not good. So I dialed it back and started the program. Should be running a 5K again in 2 months. I needed the structure. Unfortunately, my schedule got jacked up and I have to do running and yoga today. But I’ll survive. I am sure that there are some healthy people out there that do stuff like this.

I’ve been spending time nesting and reading (the nesting comes in phases) and now I am thinking that I really need to get out of the house more. Speaking of which…

I got into a conversation about foods that Californians are accustomed to that are hard to come by in Seattle. I miss InNOut Burger and KooKooRoo. I love words that include capital letters right in the middle. And when was the last time I saw a falafel shop in Seattle? Maybe never? So for my Seattle readers: anyone know of a good falafel place? And while we are talking about it, what about Malaysian? My search for Laksa in Seattle will also commence soon.

[Edit: fixed all the typos. Geez, almost wants to make me consider, like, proof-reading]

1. Ann Fowler says:

Love the idea of a kids book club!

2. HeatherLeigh says:

Yeah, Miyeko’s pretty excited about it. Especially when the Borders employee told her that when she reads 6 books, she gets a free pizza. Marketing geniuses. I thikn of Miyeko as my mini-me so I totally understand why that is motivating to her. But the book club itself enforces reading comprehension so it’s all good.

3. Greg Lucas says:

O No…..No InNOut in Seattle…..Im lucky, I grew up in SoCal and now live in Phoenix…where they do have InNOut…..wait now Im hungry…time for a double double and a chocolate shake 🙂

4. Larry says:

I light a candle at least once a month for a Tommy’s, Fat Burger, Oki Dog or even an offshoot of Canter’s to open up here. You simply cannot find good deli here. Thas’ right. I’m throwing down the gauntlet.

5. HeatherLeigh says:

Greg – Yeah, my last InNOut was in Scottsdale. Still thinking about it.

Larry – there was a great greek place in the valley too. Can’t remember the name. Little hole in the wall.

6. Wine-Oh says:

I feel deprived that there isn’t a Koo Koo Roo or a InNOut burger in NY. Anytime I go to the west coast I plan one of my meals around going to one of these places. However we do have great Falafel here. 🙂

7. HeatherLeigh says:

And hot dogs. I don’t care if they are made out of animals faces; they taste good!

8. Rick Pennington says:

Been a while, but I figured I would stop lurking and comment.  For Hot Dogs, Schulzie’s in the U district is very very good, and I always liked the greek stand in pike’s place market… place i had my first lamb gyro.

9. HeatherLeigh says:

hmm, I’ll have to try that. I love Greek food.

10. tyson says:

In terms of laksa, Malay Satay Hut is near MS campus. I didn’t see laksa specifically on the menu, but they have some other great Malaysian dishes. You might ask them about laksa.

11. wine-oh says:

Ok there goes the idea of hot dogs on the George Foreman tonight. LOL! Thanks Heather. 🙂

12. David K says:

For Malaysian, how about Malay Stay Hut?( I’ve only been to the one on the east side for lunch and not tried that many dishes because I really like their spicy tofu.

I second the recommendation for the Greek stand in the market!

For the book club and your own reading, do you know about There is also, and

13. HeatherLeigh says:

Tyson and David K – I don’t want to ruin it for you. There have been 2 things I have heard that make me think it’s not as clean as I would like. I’ll just leave it at that. But it did cross my mind. The search continues.

wine-oh, can you just think of your hot dog smiling back at you? No? That doesn’t help? For some reason, if I eat Hebrew National, I don’t get the heebie jeebies like I do with some other brands. Also Omaha Steak hotdogs are awesome. I know…I have such sophisticated taste 🙂

14. wisemx says:

I wish you well with the running.

That is something I’ve always enjoyed.

Need inspiration?

Lolo Jones is awesome! (U.S. Gold hopeful)

15. Wine-Oh says:

No I’m now haunted. Thanks! 🙁 Although I might get over it and try an Omaha Steak hot dog. I grew up on Hebrew National, and I find them so salty and full of sodium. We have a brand called Ball Park that I like.

16. mrscrooge says:

Aladdin next to Thai Tom in UDistrict has great falafel sandwiches. The Aladdin place on broadway ain’t bad either and they have zattar bread ( yum.

Malay Satay is great, lots of choice. Service is a bit rushed but hey its got lots of veggie choices too. Teapot Vegetarian does a great Laksa , its available on campus at bld 117 a few days of the week.

17. HeatherLeigh says:

wisemx – she does look awesome! Wow, if I could just be a teeny bit more like her (OK, I would happily settle for looking just a little more like her)

Wine-Oh, I like the saltiness. But the Omahas are something different altogether.

mrscrooge – there you are with all the info I am looking for!

18. Joy says:

I second Aladdin next to Thai Tom on the Ave in UDistrict. Also, Cedars, both the restaurant and the little window place on 41st and the Ave.

19. HeatherLeigh says:

Love the recommendations. Thanks!

20. Pork Rind! says:

I despaired of ever finding good falafel again once Zaina’s in the Bon garage closed. But I have a new love, the Hallava Falafel truck. The guy’s schedule is a little (a lot) weird, but I’ve been finding him mid-week in front of the Corson Building for lunch. It’s falafel raised to the atomic bomb level. But with pickles and spicy beets instead of deadly radiation and stuff.

21. hallava says:

The Hallava Falafel schedule seems to be pretty normal; lunches Tuesday through Friday 11am til 2pm. As the weather improves we will be extending our hours and we are currently trying to aquire a location which will allow us to build a covered seating area and be open many many more hours. For now, 5609 s corson (s corson and airport way south, georgetown, next to the playfield.