One of my friends…

asked me if I wanted to go see New Kids On the Block. And while I would love to tell you that she was being sarcastic, she was just being younger than me.

What can be worse than middle-aged New Kids? And seriously? I was in college when they came out and I was trying to be all dark and moody at that time by listening to The Cure , while all the youngsters were “Hangin’ Tough” and putting stickers on their Trapper Keeper.

And she actually asked me twice because, evidently, my facial expression the first time was not traumatizing enough.

1. RB says:

Which one do you think was the cutest? And "none" is not an acceptable answer.

2. Wine-Oh says:

We all know you are a closet NKOTB fan :). Go to the concert. LOL.

In all seriousness, I happened to have been working from home the day they were on the today show. Someone needs to tell them that the moves from 1988 dont translate to 2007.

3. Matt says:

isn’t that a compliment on how young you look?

4. HeatherLeigh says:

RB – I don’t know who they are. All I know is one is Mark Wahlbergs brother.

Wine-Oh, I was too but I turned the channel and now I got out of the habit of having the TV during the day at all. Not that it’s their fault, but…

Matt – no, Cheryl knows how old I am. I suspect she just thought that because she liked them, they were cool to everybody. Man, was she wrong. I wasn’t even into boy bands when I was in jr. high; unless you count Duran Duran as a boy band. I’m not saying I didn’t have cheesy taste (Xanadu sound track, anyone?), it’s just that mine subsided before I went to high school.

5. RB says:

I’ll assume you’re Hangin’ Tough.

6. Kim says:

LOL at the Trapper Keeper reference….took me straight back!   Too funny.

7. grey_matt says:

Xanadu to The Cure  …an interesting journey.

Do you have a personal top ten?

(I hope I don’t ruin your weekend whilst you contemplate the list!)

8. Kerry says:

I also had a friend seriously ask me if I wanted to go see the New Kids on the Block… I laughed and then realized she was serious. We’re nearly 40… what was she (and your friend) thinking?! Last summer we saw the Furs, The Alarm and The Fixx here in MD – now that was a great blast from the past concert … and much more age appropriate!

9. HeatherLeigh says:

Hmm, off the top of my head, right now, my favorite bands are:

The Kooks (new to me)

The Shins

Led Zeppelin

Red Hot Chilli Peppers (the old stuff)

Steve Miller Band

Sheryl Crow

Paul Simon

Joni Mitchell

Foo Fighters

Elvis Costello

Earth Wind and Fire

I guess that’s 12. It’s hard for me to answer because since I’ve gone digital with my music, I tend to by one or 2 songs from a bunch of artists and really don’t feel like I can call them a "favorite" if I don’t know more of their songs. It’s all my older music where I have full albums. Since Duran Duran, I haven’t really been a "fan", per so. You know where you know all the band members by name. So really hard to answer. I like a lot of new bands now, but haven’t invested in more songs. I think I will do that soon with The Koos (like I did with The Shins) because I love "Naive" so much.

10. tod hilton says:

Wow, I’m impressed that people still want to see NKOTB. I saw the concert announcements and thought to myself "who is going to pay good money for them?" I guess you answered my question.  🙂

Good list.  I’m seeing Foo Fighters @ The Key Arena next month! Even have a poster of Dave Grohl on my office wall (of him sitting on a scooter that has a bumper sticker "jesus is my airbag", drinking a Corona that had the top broken off and flipping the bird to the camera while grinning outrageously!).

11. RB says:

On another note, Kids In The Hall is touring most major cities and I’ve heard they’re very good.

12. Q says: